HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Super Series - Claude Giroux

Old
09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
I don't think Parent on this team this season makes sense, unless BOTH Hatcher and Gauthier are moved

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 05:55 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I don't think Parent on this team this season makes sense, unless BOTH Hatcher and Gauthier are moved
In which case, our defense is fighteningly young. Loaded with potential, but way too young to really work out I would think.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Watched Game 7 last night, a 4-4 time due in part the Russians playing much better, but mostly because of soft goals let in by Canadian goalies. Mason came out on a loose puck but was too slow, allowing Mayorov (I think) to step around him for an ENG. Bernier let one in 5 hole, then flopped on Vasyunov's rush instead of standing up.

Anyway, Giroux played another great game. Could have scored a couple but it didn't matter, he was all over the ice making great plays and big hits. Sutter uses him on PP and PK duty. He's going to be a great little player for the Flyers in a couple years.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
In which case, our defense is fighteningly young. Loaded with potential, but way too young to really work out I would think.
Agreed. I think it's best if Parent plays a full AHL year with some spot duty up here first.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 02:42 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Agreed. I think it's best if Parent plays a full AHL year with some spot duty up here first.
Yep, that's what I'm hoping to see as well.

Old
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I say if you're going to send someone to the AHL, leave them there for the full year and don't even worry about calling them up. Say if an injury does take place and Parent gets called up. At the very most, he'll probably be in the 7th defenseman spot and might be lucky if he gets 10 minutes a game. Let him and the others play big minutes for a full season uninterrupted by call ups and then by next season, they're ready to challenge for a full time spot.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 03:57 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I say if you're going to send someone to the AHL, leave them there for the full year and don't even worry about calling them up. Say if an injury does take place and Parent gets called up. At the very most, he'll probably be in the 7th defenseman spot and might be lucky if he gets 10 minutes a game. Let him and the others play big minutes for a full season uninterrupted by call ups and then by next season, they're ready to challenge for a full time spot.
If it's a short injury, they wouldn't bother calling anyone up to be the 7th defenseman. If it's something more long term, I think they'd probably play Parent more than Jones anyway, so either way I don't think he'd get stuck in the 7th spot.

Old
09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
I think a lot or people forget that Ryan's still only 20-years old. Why rush him? There's no need. It's not like the Flyers would be wasting the prime of his career by having him establish himself in the AHL as a solid, top-4 defender.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Just for the sake of discussion...

Knuble is currently the first line RW. At the conclusion of his contract, Hartnell will have enough experience to fill that hole, leaving the second line LW spot open. I think VanRiemsdyk is the top candidate for that role given his raw potential and contract. On the other side, Lupul's contract will be expiring at the same time, creating a vacancy on the second line should Holmgren decide to take that money and walk. Giroux will have already accrued a season's worth of experience playing on the top line of the Phantoms so he, to me, would be the ideal replacement. The only other rookie that needs to be integrated into the roster would be Downie, and I think he'll be ready for Kapanen's spot when the time comes. Oh, and then there's Parent who will take a spot on the bottom pairing away from Hatcher/Gauthier. For those keeping track, that's a lot of cash coming off the books in two years.

And a ton of young talent into the lineup. I cannot wait.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
[/B]

And a ton of young talent into the lineup. I cannot wait.
Overall, I think the formation of the Flyers has been the most interesting of all NHL teams since the introduction of the salary cap.

Old
09-12-2007, 01:24 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I understand the concern. But if Parent, Picard, and Jones show they can handle the workload I don't see a problem with it.

If your going to have 4 young guys and 2 vets, Timonen and Smith are two of the bst vets to have. Both guys lead by example, both guys are captains, together they bring a well rounded perspective of how to play the game.

Hatcher and Gauthier with 4 kids? Hell no.

Smith and Timonen with 4 kids? If the kids are good enough, I don't see why not.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I understand the concern. But if Parent, Picard, and Jones show they can handle the workload I don't see a problem with it.

If your going to have 4 young guys and 2 vets, Timonen and Smith are two of the bst vets to have. Both guys lead by example, both guys are captains, together they bring a well rounded perspective of how to play the game.

Hatcher and Gauthier with 4 kids? Hell no.

Smith and Timonen with 4 kids? If the kids are good enough, I don't see why not.
Kukkonen is 26 or whatever, wouldn't exactly classify him as a 'kid'. sure, he hasn't been in the NHL, but he's been playing professional hockey for plenty of years and is entering his prime as a hockey player.

i would not expect to see Hatcher go anywhere this year, maybe next year.

Last edited by Jester: 09-12-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:53 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Kukkonen is 26 or whatever, wouldn't exactly classify him as a 'kid'. sure, he hasn't been in the NHL, but he's been playing professional hockey for plenty of years and is entering his prime as a hockey player.
That's true. I was only going by NHL time played really. He certainly appears to be extremely solid on D. But that only pushes my point more.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 07:43 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
That's true. I was only going by NHL time played really. He certainly appears to be extremely solid on D. But that only pushes my point more.
The team expects to contend this year. To throw too much inexperience into that causes wrinkles all over the place. Better to bring along the future slowly. Parent will get twice the ice team in the AHL. Makes more sense to me for now and the future if we bring things along slowly.

Old
09-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Phunhog

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Phunhog

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old