HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Defence Experiment

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Luoma

vCash: 500
Defence Experiment

It seems with the recent call ups of a large number of defence from the Roadrunners the coaching staff is experimenting to see who is the best for the team. Who do you think will stick?

Shouldn't this have been done in the preseason?

Old
01-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luoma
It seems with the recent call ups of a large number of defence from the Roadrunners the coaching staff is experimenting to see who is the best for the team. Who do you think will stick?

Well, teams can't predict injuries in preseason. The Oilers are currently decimated by injury on the blueline. Both Jason Smith and Cory Cross are out of the lineup with injury. That is something the Oilers couldn't predict in preseason. Earlier in the season, Brewer missed 5 games with a groin strain.

01-06-2004, 11:01 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Well, teams can't predict injuries in preseason. The Oilers are currently decimated by injury on the blueline. Both Jason Smith and Cory Cross are out of the lineup with injury. That is something the Oilers couldn't predict in preseason. Earlier in the season, Brewer missed 5 games with a groin strain.
The Oilers only have 2 injuries to the Defence and neither of them appear to be too serious. I would hardly say that the Oilers are decimated by injury. Smith is joining the Oilers in New York for the rest of the road trip, but they didn't say wether he is playing or not. But he must be healthy enough to fly so he can't be too far off. Cross is out with a back injury that they are likely just resting so it won't get worse. The injuries to the Defence aren't bad at all.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Luoma

Don't get me wrong, whatever they are doing it seems to be working. Competition for a spot brings out the best in some people I guess. The thing is most of the D that are in this rotation play different styles. Its almost like they don't know what they want.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luoma
Luoma had never played pro in N/A b4 so a stint in the ahl was in the cards for him right off the bat, and I guess that the Oil just weren't happy with what they had or they wouldn't have gone out and signed Ulanov.

My guess is that Ulanov will stick with the big team, they won't risk sending him back down as long as he's playing well.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

does anyone remember who Ulanov was paired with during his first stint with the Oilers?
I think he played with Smith at some point but I'm not quite sure.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
does anyone remember who Ulanov was paired with during his first stint with the Oilers?
I think he played with Smith at some point but I'm not quite sure.
I think it was brown, could be wrong

Old
01-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Allan

He played with Smith most of the time he was here, and the opposing forwards would be hard pressed to forget that. Between that pairing and Sean Brown, the front of the net was cleared very quickly. I remember one season they were 1-2 in blocked shots for a while as well.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
He played with Smith most of the time he was here, and the opposing forwards would be hard pressed to forget that. Between that pairing and Sean Brown, the front of the net was cleared very quickly. I remember one season they were 1-2 in blocked shots for a while as well.
Yah Smith, I remember all the talk about the blocks they'd make like Allan is saying.

Closed Thread