HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrett Stafford - Baron's Player of the Week

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Cyclops II*

vCash: 500
Garrett Stafford - Baron's Player of the Week

http://www.clevelandbarons.net/baron...1073325169.htm

A question for those who have seen him play. Does he appear to be NHL material or does he have a major weakness? What kind of skater is he?

Last edited by Cyclops II*: 01-06-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
http://www.clevelandbarons.net/baron...1073325169.htm

A question for those who have seen him play. Does he appear to be NHL material or does he have a major weakness? What kind of skater is he?
Well he is a fluent skater. The one thing that could hurt him is with how offensive minded he is, he may be too aggressive. But thus far I have been just as impressed with his defensive instincts as I have his offense, which says a lot. He'll be a good one, and a great free agent find. He could crack a top 6 down the line, if he continues to mature.

There are some rumors floating around about him including a possible drinking problem. I also know he was declared academically ineligible his senior year. So that being said, as long as he plays hockey, and stays away from anything harmful, he has a lot of upside and potential.

Edit: By the way, I did say he was the best player on the ice Saturday...apparently somebody agreed with me.

Last edited by Mr Brownstone: 01-06-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05

There are some rumors floating around about him including a possible drinking problem. I also know he was declared academically ineligible his senior year. So that being said, as long as he plays hockey, and stays away from anything harmful, he has a lot of upside and potential.

Edit: By the way, I did say he was the best player on the ice Saturday...apparently somebody agreed with me.

Now that you mention it there was a thread a while ago that mentioned his possible drinking problem. Since it is impossible to know whether an addiction can be overcome (see Jere Karahlati etc) I wouldn't spend a draft pick on a player suspected of alcohol or drug problems but there is nothing to lose (from a fan's perspective) signing them as a free agent.
He put up respectable numbers at Univ of New Hampshire but his production with Cleveland is more impressive.
If defenseman like Fibiger, Fahey and Stafford prove to be NHL calibre that would allow the Sharks to package some of them in a trade.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
I wouldn't spend a draft pick on a player suspected of alcohol or drug problems but there is nothing to lose (from a fan's perspective) signing them as a free agent.
Not to nitpick, but there is something to lose by signing a free agent. A team can only have 50 under contract at a time (which is why minor league teams often sign folks), so technically, a signee can take the spot of a draftee that wants to be signed. In this case, Stafford is worth it, but that's not to say that there's nothing to lose.

~Crazed.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeycrazed07
Not to nitpick, but there is something to lose by signing a free agent. A team can only have 50 under contract at a time (which is why minor league teams often sign folks), so technically, a signee can take the spot of a draftee that wants to be signed. In this case, Stafford is worth it, but that's not to say that there's nothing to lose.

~Crazed.
True. In most cases a team's 50th player is a potential 4th line player but team's like Detroit and Colorado that find a lot of gem's in the later rounds could have a choice between a pretty decent drafted player and a risky free agent. Of course the free agent that has baggage would have to display above average skills to even consider signing him.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Kevin Wey

The only other risk with a Theo Fleury-like player (off-ice problems) is that he might drag others down with him. I was all for signing Stafford though.

In all honesty, a lot of young hockey players out of college and juniors have drinking or other problems. (Not to burst anyone's bubble.) One of the main reasons I predicted success for Preissing was his maturity, as shown in his grades. Preissing had/has his life together.

I'd love for Fibiger to get another shot after Rathje helped deep-six him. I can't see it happening though. (Fibiger is such a better skater than Davison...) I suspect Fibiger will be gone after this season, but some other NHL team will sign him to have on their AHL roster. Probably Columbus or somebody like that.

Doug Murray's production sure is up since the beginning of the season. I think it's probably time for all of us to include him in the list of names as potential recalls. I mean, with McLaren out, if Murray could transition to the NHL, who would be more fit to replace McLaren out of all the prospects? Nobody: being that Murray has more offensive upside than Davison it seems.

Factoid: Tero Maatta is tied with Jan Caloun for Espoo team-lead in plus/minus at +10. (This with Maatta now playing on the third pair with young defenseman Tommi Pelkonen. Espoo, however, is an underachieving team so far this year.)

Old
01-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Doug Murray's production sure is up since the beginning of the season. I think it's probably time for all of us to include him in the list of names as potential recalls. I mean, with McLaren out, if Murray could transition to the NHL, who would be more fit to replace McLaren out of all the prospects? Nobody: being that Murray has more offensive upside than Davison it seems.
No doubt. This kid really came up on my radar screen immediately the first time I saw him. He could in all honesty be a top 4 for San Jose not too far away. He knows how to play defense and his offensive awareness shows signs of brilliance. I just hope that he continues to gain agility. He could be a 6 inches smaller 20 pounds lighter Zdeno Chara for SJ.

Old
01-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Kevin Wey

This is what I expected from Murray the whole time heading into the season, but it took a little while. Better late than never, and not <i>that</i> late either.

Somebody will have to be moved before Murray makes his way to San Jose. I would assume that Fahey would be the one most likely to be dealt. Then, with injury, perhaps Murray would be the first one called upon next season. Davison is on a two-year contract, and at the end of that, perhaps he will not be resigned to make room for Murray to play full-time in San Jose. I suppose Rathje could potentially be moved, or McLaren. (I'd bet Rathje over McLaren.) Rathje would be easily marketable, especially to say Calgary But that's not this season. Stuart and Hannan aren't going anywhere though, nor do I expect Ehrhoff or Preissing to be moved.

Garrett Stafford is going to face an uphill climb to crack San Jose. I don't see him beating out Preissing or Ehrhoff.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Mr Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey

Garrett Stafford is going to face an uphill climb to crack San Jose. I don't see him beating out Preissing or Ehrhoff.
From what I saw from Ehrhoff, it isn't exactly as difficult as you make it sound. I thought Ehrhoff played extremely lazy, lifeless and soft. Not something I'd want in my defensemen.

Old
01-08-2004, 03:07 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Stafford and Dallas. He left the Kings rookie camp when Dallas offered him a two-way with Utah, and I saw the transactions that they had signed him and assigned him, but then he showed up on Cleveland, and was signed by the Sharks... Very odd. And, really no press about it. (Or was there and I just missed it?)

Old
01-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Mr Brownstone

Garrett with a GWG in OT tonight from Goc and Zalesak in Hamilton. Move over Ehrhoff.

Closed Thread