HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is the Rangers Defense Considered Bad?

Old
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
"Why is the Rangers Defense Considered Bad?"

Because there are no glamorous names on the blueline and most journalists or other teams fans can't be bothered to actually watch games and know what they are talking about.
It really is as simple as whats quoted here. Because they have no Pronger's, no Neidermeyer's no Souray's the Rangers have a 'questionable' D to all the so-called "experts" and non-Ranger fans.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
but a good stick check, and excellent hockey sense.

Sauer is everything Girardi is, but he has the physical game as well. hes a helluva prospect.
well thats what i mean by smooth, if a defender doesnt get noticed in the D zone, that most likely means hes doing his job... I know his offensive skills are lacking but those could come. You said hes a nice 5 guy but i think hes more 4 imo.

and idk much about sauer except the fact that we have the guy, but thanks for letting me know.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
well thats what i mean by smooth, if a defender doesnt get noticed in the D zone, that most likely means hes doing his job... I know his offensive skills are lacking but those could come. You said hes a nice 5 guy but i think hes more 4 imo.

and idk much about sauer except the fact that we have the guy, but thanks for letting me know.

hes definitely smooth (girardi) but i think hes overrated a bit because weve seen inept players like bozo, and malik (at times)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Fletch

King Henrik...

it is that simple. These 'experts' aren't very dynamic. The quickest way to evaluate a team is to look at the 'names'. I very seldom see real, in-depth hockey analysis, from anywhere except surprisingly in forums. The outsiders seem to know certain teams pretty well, and guess at other teams - granted, it's difficult to see 30 teams play 60+ games to get a real sense for what each is about, and the Rangers' hockey experts either work for the Rangers, or are guys like Brooks, who seems spot-on sometimes and in left field at other times. If Pronger were in Girardi's place the Rangers would be favorites to win the Cup and the move would be applauded by most 'experts,' especially if guys like Girardi, Prucha, Dubi and picks went the other way.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it is that simple. These 'experts' aren't very dynamic. The quickest way to evaluate a team is to look at the 'names'. I very seldom see real, in-depth hockey analysis, from anywhere except surprisingly in forums. The outsiders seem to know certain teams pretty well, and guess at other teams - granted, it's difficult to see 30 teams play 60+ games to get a real sense for what each is about, and the Rangers' hockey experts either work for the Rangers, or are guys like Brooks, who seems spot-on sometimes and in left field at other times. If Pronger were in Girardi's place the Rangers would be favorites to win the Cup and the move would be applauded by most 'experts,' especially if guys like Girardi, Prucha, Dubi and picks went the other way.
I absolutely agree on everything you said Fletch, thats why like you I put little to no stock in "experts" opinions other than for strictly entertainment. It makes me wonder sometimes how these guys get into a position that allows them to be called an expert when they seem to know only a little about each team and their superstar players. As you said its tough to watch enough games to have an accurate cross section of what a team needs or doesn't need, but I personally dont think anyone who isn't educated on every team can be considered an "expert". I'm aware of the time,energy. and beer it would take to do that but i'm of the opinion that if you want it you have to work for it. lol.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 09:09 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

The answer lies in the results. That is all anyone needs to know. I would agree to a degree that Lundqvist makes the defense. But isn't that always the case? Look at both of our rivals, debbies & fishstix. Their cup teams was it the goalie, the defense, the forwards or the system they each played?

If you play a defensive system the goalies look good, the defense looks good, the whole team looks good. I subscribe to the Gerry Cheevers school of thought, I don't care how many goals we give up. All that matters is that we give up one less than the opponent gave up. Bottom line is who won.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
In every publication I read lately previewing the season everyone claims that the Rangers have a terrible defense.
"Terrible"?

Curious as to where you are reading that.

Here? (HF)

Publications?

It's not a sexy D corp. And it remains far from dynamic, especially in comparison to the forward name power. However, the results the second half of the season speak for themselves.

And when you prevent goals, you win games, and playoff series and Cups. Even in the silly Nuuuuu NHL.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 09:27 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i dont think anyone was really high on the Carolina defense 2 years ago and look what happened- let everyone say what they want and then be surprised

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
ThirdEye

Our defense is average to very good when they get hot. That's the main thing though, they are technically an average group but when the team is clicking they can step it up a notch and help win games. We saw this last season were we almost shut out Buffalo, but got really unlucky at the end there when Jagr and Nylander couldn't get off the ice. Also Sean Avery icing the puck at the wrong time.

Anyway, we'll see this year for sure what our D is made off. It's too hard to tell if they are going to be great for the 80 games this year based on only about 30 from last season

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 06:39 AM
eco's bones

On Girardi--IMO he has the potential to be top 4. Among other things--composure when pressured--quick stick, great hockey sense--in terms of positioning, in terms of knowing where everyone is and quickly and efficiently moving the puck. There are things he has to work on and a question of how much offense he'll be able to provide. I think there will be more. A 20 point or more a season player is not out of the realm of possibility considering what he's done in the AHL. Two things he has to work on 1) is getting stronger--he's far from peaked so that should come naturally--and 2) working on his skating speed.

Anyway if he does work out to be just a 5-6 d-man I think we're going to have one whale of a defense because I think Girardi is going to be real good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
BklyNYR4Life

inferno hit it on the head, and its the lack of big names. the rangers are a sound team defensively, end of story

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
"Why is the Rangers Defense Considered Bad?"
Because none of the individuals, should they be aquired by another team, drasticly improve that teams D.

They work very well under Rennys system, but individually are, to date, average.

The Rangers D is worth more to the Rangers than anyone else simply because Renny has them playing well together.

09-01-2007, 09:17 AM
devin1487

There are no proven number one D-Men. You guys have spectacular 3-7 players, like guys that can really step up, but there's no proven number one and two guys yet, and compared to your bolstered offense, your D looks quite weak

devin1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
towely

excuse me for not reading the whole thread through.
but where did the rangers d finally finish in the rankings last year at seasons end?

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 09:57 PM
NYHOCKEYTALK

Send a message via AIM to NYHOCKEYTALK
alot of nhl caliber defensman, but no "1" or "2" defenseman... Rozsival is not a top 2 guy on a cup winning team- he just isnt.... he is a solid player, but just not a top 2 guy...

Tyutin I think still has some more potentail to be filled We'll see what Staal has, but it is way to early to expect him to be a top tier defenseman this season.. compared to other teams top6, the rangers D is an average group at best . . .

NYHOCKEYTALK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I think because they made alot of mistakes last season that were so apparent, and so apparently juvenile, people just think we have a bad D.

Though I do agree with the people that say its because of the names.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote