HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT- School

Old
09-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
I would kill myself if I had to go back to HS.

I would be willing to kill to be a 20 year old college student again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Ah man, anyone else really hated high school as much as I did? Had to wake up at 6 every morning the first two years and then travel like 45 min by train just to get there. Classes ended at around 3:30 and by the time I got home it was almost 5. Even then all I had to look forward to was homework and more homework. Man, I don't know if it was just my school, but I hated it by the time I got out. Not to mention some of the psychotic teachers I had during that time

College is indescribably better, even if you do have to pay for it

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 10:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Man, college is the best time of your life. I am so jealous of all you guys.

Once you are out of college, it feels like a slow march to your retirement and the grave. Instead of looking forward to new girls and new friends and some interesting elective you might take next semester, you are looking at 45 years of the same crap every day until you retire.

I just came from a party that had a few people I haven't seen since college.

If you wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me how old I am, I'll answer 21-22.

Nothing beats college. HS sucks. College is the best. You go to class 15 hours a week and you are constantly surrounded by thousands of college-age girls, with new girls coming in every semester.

Eventually you'll get a job where you'll see the same 4 people day in and day out... and none of them will be college age girls. It will be an angry lesbian, a religious married woman and 2 middle aged men who hate their wives.

Oh, and did I mention that your first few years out of college, either you'll work 60+ hours a week or you will not make anywhere near the money you currently think you will make (=25-30K, not the 50-60K you expect now because you are so smart or your school is so good or your major is so wanted... nobody cares and nobody will pay you real money when you have no experience... you'll make $25-30K and lie about your salary to your friends, leaving other college students thinking $50K is the minimum they'll make).
Hah, when you commute to college, it's is the same crap as high school. Plus I have to work 20 hours a week during the school year (40 during breaks), 75% of the money I make goes towards school. Plus homework, projects, etc. Yeah, school sucks.

Maybe if I went away somewhere, dormed, had mommy & daddy paying for my tuition and didn't have a care in the world, college would be a grand old time. However, for people like me, it sucks. It's basically high school with different people, less bs, less class, harder work, and no bus to take me there.

I always talk to people I work with and they say I wish I was still in college. I always say, you just don't remember what it was like. I always enjoy my summers so much, even if I'm working all the time. I get to enjoy my time not working and not have to worry about a project or reading some garbage or doing homework. 15 hours of class maybe, but you also have another boat load of work when you're not there.

Plus the way I see it... You pay to go to college, they pay you to go to work .

If you always look at it pessimistically yeah the working life sucks. However, if you have a great woman, you get a job where you can comfortably pay the bills and you aren't overworking yourself, you can enjoy life. Vacations, weekends, etc. It's all good. I'm a very optimistic person, so I just take it as it comes .

Last edited by WhipNash27: 09-09-2007 at 10:54 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I commuted to college, paid for it myself and still paying off my loans. But college is still so much better than any other time of your life.

Trust me, there's a reason everyone's depressed first year out of school.

You go to work the first day and it's exciting. You go to work the second day and you realize, "damn, this is the next 45 years. Same people every day, same work every day, same 9-6 hours every day."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Hah, when you commute to college, it's is the same crap as high school. Plus I have to work 20 hours a week during the school year (40 during breaks), 75% of the money I make goes towards school. Plus homework, projects, etc. Yeah, school sucks.

Maybe if I went away somewhere, dormed, had mommy & daddy paying for my tuition and didn't have a care in the world, college would be a grand old time. However, for people like me, it sucks. It's basically high school with different people, less bs, less class, harder work, and no bus to take me there.

I always talk to people I work with and they say I wish I was still in college. I always say, you just don't remember what it was like. I always enjoy my summers so much, even if I'm working all the time. I get to enjoy my time not working and not have to worry about a project or reading some garbage or doing homework. 15 hours of class maybe, but you also have another boat load of work when you're not there.

Plus the way I see it... You pay to go to college, they pay you to go to work .

If you always look at it pessimistically yeah the working life sucks. However, if you have a great woman, you get a job where you can comfortably pay the bills and you aren't overworking yourself, you can enjoy life. Vacations, weekends, etc. It's all good. I'm a very optimistic person, so I just take it as it comes .

Old
09-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

"If you always look at it pessimistically yeah the working life sucks. However, if you have a great woman, you get a job where you can comfortably pay the bills and you aren't overworking yourself, you can enjoy life."

Exactly.

So you finish college and you realize, "crap, all these years in school I was spoiled by having all these women to choose from. I can't ever meet anyone now unless I go out on a Saturday night to a club or sit on the internet looking for women." If you get a gf or wife, congrats.

But do you know why people used to play "musical chairs" while in college before and then marry the last person they dated while in college? That's why!

Re: not overworking.... you have no experience. What takes me 1 hour, will take you 3 days and you won't do it as well because it is the first time you are doing it. But your boss is paying you money and you have to show him a profit. Ergo, you must work long hours.

Comfortable pay: you will almost definitely not get comfortable pay. $30K a year is not comfortable when you are paying rent, bills, food, entertainment, etc.

Doctors get paid $35-40K the first few years out of medical school while in residency. After residency, the national average is $80K, which is more or less comfortable, but not near as wealthy as it seems. You still have to save money if you don't want to be constantly broke. And that's DOCTORS and doctors with 3-7 years hospital experience (as resident-doctors)!

Lawyers get $30-40K a year first year out of law school. If you work for a state judge, you get $30K. Federal judge is $40K. Non-profit is $30-35K. Small law firm is $30-35K. Mid-to-large firm is $40-60, but you'll need to get very good grades in a good law school... or good grades in a very good law school. Legal Aids get $30K. Prosecutors get $50K and work 80 hours a week for it, and that's considered a GREAT job, so more than 100 young lawyers apply for every spot open to new lawyers.

Some "superstars" who have a 3.9 GPA from a good school or a 3.6 GPA from an Ivy League school will get paid ridiculous salaries like $150K a year from a huge law firm because these law firms are hoping some of their new "prospects" will become "Major Leaguers". That inflates the "average salary", but at least 90% of all first year lawyers make under $40K a year.

Several years later, salaries jump up. If you work for someone else, a lawyer or a doctor can make $100K and even a little more. Working for yourself, you can make $250K and up.

Ok, but that's doctors and lawyers. Almost everyone else makes less.

When you think about a post-college salary, let me warn you, college students at least double what they'll really make.