HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

cup predictions..

Old
09-01-2007, 02:17 PM
chi001

vCash: 500
i think gomez will be a huge bust for the cap space he is taking up... the nyr wont make it past the second round..sens win the cup if they add a top six at the deadline

chi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
East:
1. NY RANGERS
2. CAROLINA
3. OTTAWA

Dialamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 02:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Sens over the Sharks

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 02:35 PM
danroy

I don't see how everyone believes the sharks are going to make it. They don't have the D.

I'm saying Sens and Wings

danroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Gus Fring

Homer pick

Sens over wings

Gus Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 03:05 PM
mmfs*

Wings sweep Pens.

mmfs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
Unlikely....the Canucks haven't gotten any better except a slight improvement on the blueline. If Luongo wasn't able to stop the Ducks, don't think he alone would be able to stop the Sens.
Vancouver had one of the best 2nd halfs of the season and don't be suprised if both Naslund and Morrison have much better seasons since this is the last season of their contract.

Defensively the Canucks will be much better with the addition of Miller and possibly one more number 7 depth defencemen the Canucks might sign. In the minors we've got two solid prospects that could see some time on the big club this season as well.

Up front the only weakness the Canucks have is scoring but if Morrison and Naslund have good season then this team shouldn't have too much problem staying in the thick of things until the trade deadline.

For the first time in the cap era the Canucks will have at least 2-3 million in cap space to start the season plus a solid prospect base so that if they need to add any scoring during the season they can.

I wouldn't be suprised if a guy like Ryder is traded near the deadline for a guy like Bourdon or perhaps a 1st round draft pick plus a mid level prospect.

Basically the Canucks are one 25-30 goal scorer away from being a instant cup contender and if they can pick up that final top 6 forward sometime during the season they could be big time threats during the playoffs.

Don't forget that during the Anaheim series the Canucks had major injury issues as well. Bieksa and Salo missed sometime on the blue line and both Kesler and Cooke were out for the entire series. That's basically two top 4 dman plus two of our grittiest 3rd line players.

I'm not saying that with those players the Canucks could have won the series but it would have at least been a lot closer which is why I believe the Canucks are on the borderline of being cup contenders and with one more top 6 forward they should be a threat come playoff time.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ducks or Sharks vs. Sens or Pens.
Sounds about right.

Vancouver still doesnt have what it takes yet and Buffalo is still wounded from UFA dump.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Henrik Datsyukstrom

You guys probably know the drill by now: Long time reader, just registered blah blah blah.

I have to ask though, where is all of the love for San Jose coming from? You guys do realize that this is the same team as last year, minus Hannan and plus Semenov right? I know this is still a great team, but I'd like to hear some reasoning. Are you guys just expecting the team to develop a lot more? Because I can recognize that as a strong possibility.

I'll give some of my top choices, rather than just guessing two teams:

Homer Pick: Detroit vs. New York (Although I'm thinking many non-homers would pick this too)

Non Homer Pick: Vancouver vs. Ottawa (Anaheim if both Niedermayer and Selanne come back)

Dark Horse teams: Dallas vs. Carolina

Henrik Datsyukstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
lopper

West
Ducks
Avs
Red Wings

East
Pens
Ottawa
NYR

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
You really think the Penguins improved their defense that much to make it to the finals?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Good picks. I'll go with those teams as well if you don't mind.

Suprise team: Devils. Sutter has them taking out players as they go along.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 09:29 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Very early predictions, but I'll play.

In the West, Detroit or San Jose. Detroit impressed me this past Playoffs, so I see them possibly going further next year. Obviously, if Anaheim can keep most of the important pieces together, then they could still be in there.

In the East, Ottawa or Pittsburgh. I don't see any reason to think that Ottawa won't be able to repeat their performance form this past year. The young guns on Pittsburgh, I think, need one more year of maturity. The Rangers is a possibility, but there is too much unproven about that team.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You really think the Penguins improved their defense that much to make it to the finals?
It's improved, but I dont think it's improved enough to make the finals. Gonchar, Whitney, Eaton, Orpik, Sydor, Letang top 6. Drops away significantly after that. Even that top 6 isn't very scary IMO. 3 very offensively orientated defensmen (#55, 19, 58), 2 pretty good in their own end (#3, 5), and a big hitter who can be a liability sometimes (#44).

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 09:56 PM
kihei

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Datsyukstrom View Post
You guys probably know the drill by now: Long time reader, just registered blah blah blah.

I have to ask though, where is all of the love for San Jose coming from? You guys do realize that this is the same team as last year, minus Hannan and plus Semenov right? I know this is still a great team, but I'd like to hear some reasoning. Are you guys just expecting the team to develop a lot more? Because I can recognize that as a strong possibility.
The Sharks do have a lot of talented young players who could take the next step forward. That's a big plus. But I think they are partly the favourites by default. Who looks better? Anaheim has big, unresolved issues, most of which could be laid to rest if Selanne and Niedermayer return. But will they? Vancouver looks promising, but the offense is suspect so it becomes a question of how far can great goaltending take them. Detroit always seems to play better than they look on paper, so they are hard to judge. Calgary, Minnesota, Colarado...everybody else has significant flaws somewhere. So the Sharks look like the best bet in a field of major question marks.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Czech Your Math

West:
Anaheim- if Nieds and Teemu return, should be favorites
Detroit- gave Ducks a good series, despite decimated blueline, and have a good mix of veterans and youth
San Jose- have firepower, and Nabby ain't too shabby

East:
Ottawa- have to be the favorite in the east
NY Rangers- still need to improve blueline at deadline to be a strong contender
Buffalo- for most teams, the losses at forward would probably be crippling, but Sabres may have the depth to reload instead of rebuild

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
The Sharks do have a lot of talented young players who could take the next step forward. That's a big plus. But I think they are partly the favourites by default. Who looks better? Anaheim has big, unresolved issues, most of which could be laid to rest if Selanne and Niedermayer return. But will they? Vancouver looks promising, but the offense is suspect so it becomes a question of how far can great goaltending take them. Detroit always seems to play better than they look on paper, so they are hard to judge. Calgary, Minnesota, Colarado...everybody else has significant flaws somewhere. So the Sharks look like the best bet in a field of major question marks.
you speak as if San Jose doesnt have major flaws of their own =p
oh and by the way, Detroit definetly looks better then San Jose... Ive never seen anything to imply that they arnt... =p

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Mikeymikeymikey

Send a message via AIM to Mikeymikeymikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
East- Ottawa, N.Y. Rangers, Pittsburgh
West- Anaheim, Detroit, San Jose

I think it will be Anaheim over the Rangers in 6 games.
I agree with this right here.

Mikeymikeymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:35 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Seems like I need to bring this argument to this thread.

First, let me start by saying just because I'm a Ranger fan this doesn't reflect my opinions, I base my opinion on the NHL as a whole.)

Second, let me continue by saying don't look at my post count etc and say "this guy has no idea what he's talking about"

Reading down the list. I see NJ, I see Buffalo, and I see Pens. Out of the 3, the most likely team would be Pens.

However...

Pens? Stanley Cup? I said this before and I'll say it again, even some Pen fans agree that the Pens aren't going to go far just yet. Obviously they'll have a rockin' season, who wouldn't with guys like Crosby, Malkin, Forsberg etc.... but playoffs? You won't make it far in the playoffs with a team leader like Crosby (just yet) They didn't go anywhere last year and they aren't going to again. Youth and inexperience will show. Can't rate this to the little leagues. Round 2 at the MOST for the Pens.

Devils? Alright.. so the Devils are the Devils, we all know they got tricks up their sleeve and it wouldn't be surprising to see them go places in the playoffs. However, first, they need to MAKE the playoffs. (They probably will, they almost always do) Now, seeing as our conference has greatly improved on the Rangers, Pens, Flyers, the Devils and the Isles have a slim chance of making the playoffs. Pens next, with the Isles being the least likely.

1. Rangers/Pens
2. Rangers/Pens (I base Rangers on 2nd place with Pens ahead a few points)
3. Flyers/Devils (I base Flyers in 3rd place ahead 1-3 points of Devils or vice versa, 60/40%)
4. Devils/Flyers
5. Isles (Sorry buddy sign all the no-names you want, your team isn't going anywhere)

Now we all know Brodeur is one of the greatest goalies to play the game. So I wouldn't be surprised if Brodeur brought the team their and made them move up the roles but I think round 2 at most for the Devils.

Buffalo? Now, now, even the lovely fans in Buffalo will just say "we don't need those guys, we're stronger, we're better, YOU GUYS SUCK!! BUY YOUR WAY TO THE CUP" blah blah. We all know you guys wen't to a downgrade at an EXTREME level. You beat us, barely, and by dumb calls by those refs.. not to say you guys didn't deserve it, but it was BARELY, and Miller was on his ROCKING game. You don't see Miller on that game too often.

You guys had Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, and Dainus Zubrus. You lost, not one, not two, but ALL THREE. You guys aren't going anywhere, I'm sorry, no hope. Round 1 at best if you even make it to the playoffs.

As for Cup Contenders. I'd say:

Sharks, Rags, Red Wings, Ducks, Sens. In no particular order.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 08:38 AM
philthy mcnasty*

Stanley Cup Finals gonna be between the NY Rangers and Anahiem Ducks (if Nieds comes back).. otherwise it's between the Rangers and Flames.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 10:07 AM
freakin

Buffalo won the Cup last year didn't they? not sure why people think the Ducks won.

I think Buffalo will repeat.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 12:15 PM
JackBauer

I'm saying Buffalo. Sure as hell not the Sens.

(It worked for us last year, we like going into the season not as favorites to win the Cup, otherwise the ugly pressure demons might sneak back up)

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Jaded-Fan

The nice things being said about us is gratifying to hear after a long long time wandering in the wilderness, and having sat through more bad games than I can count over the past 5 years. I don't know if the Pens will make it a year early, but with Shero seemingly having a grasp at making the right moves, I think that we will get there eventually. If we do make a run this year it would solely be because of the kids willing it to happen early. They would not be the first group of supremely talented kids in this sport or any other who arrived a year or two early to the dance. Other than that, it will come, just not this year. I can not see a club with even just Crosby on it never winning a cup. Add the rest, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Esposito, Letang, Whitney and on and on, most of whom despite the wishful thinking of some likely will be able to be kept, and the future is bright for a decade or more to come. I just am not sold that it is this year. But it would not shock me either.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 01:02 PM
kihei

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
you speak as if San Jose doesnt have major flaws of their own =p
oh and by the way, Detroit definetly looks better then San Jose... Ive never seen anything to imply that they arnt... =p
Sure, the Sharks defense is a big question mark--which is why they aren't a stronger favourite. Detroit has two superb forwards, some promising younger players, a fine defense, and an aging core. They never quite spring a leak, but you have to wonder how long the Wings can continue at the elite level to which they have become accustomed.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
savemypoorbrain

Send a message via AIM to savemypoorbrain
Vancouver vs Pittsburgh

savemypoorbrain is offline   Reply With Quote