HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you trust Tom Renney with this team?

View Poll Results: Do you trust Tom Renney with this team?
Yes I think he will maximize the Rangers' chances to win the cup in 07-08 142 87.12%
No I don't think Tom Renney is a Stanley Cup caliber head coach 21 12.88%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the chemistry won't hurt much, but that's Renney's job to mend, and why I think Straka playing with Jagr to start the season may be part of the key to that chemistry. Renney's going to look to get off to a good start, as will everyone, and finding the right combos may not be easiest out of camp, but there are some known combos, and Jagr + Straka is one of them.
agreed.

Some people think Straka may even center the 3rd line which is absurd... but as Nylander has gone Straka and Jagr will surely stick together as Jagr is so comfortable with him.

I like the look of Callahan - Avery - Prucha together.... they can have good hustle and certainly contribute. Prucha and Cally seemed to have good chemsitry in a short stint last year.

Tuytin and Girardi? that works well.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieder44 View Post
Im saying you couldnt have asked for anything more than what he has delivered.
What he "delivered" is a coin of two sides. No one is arguing the results. However, an argument can be made that the gains were made despite Renney. As has been stated over and over again, he is a great teacher and a good motivator, however, he (at least IMO) had not put his team into the best position for success. At least so I believe. Take the goal with 7.7 seconds to go. Why were Nylander and Jagr on the ice? Wouldn't Betts and Ortmeyer have been better for such a situation? In that particular moment, he did not put his team into a situation to suceed. That is only one example.

No one is saying that he should not be the one who first gets his hands on the wheel of a pretty good car. Just whether or not he will be the one to finally drive it across the finish line.

I go back to my comparison. In addittion to the other names that he has been compared to (Nielson, Edwards), I also compare him to Tom Haggen. To-date, that is who he has resembled to me.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 09:24 AM
DutchShamrock

Exactly. Also, how many leads did we blow last season? How many in the 3rd? How many 2 goal leads? To me, that stuff falls on the coach. That points to an inability to adjust your gameplan to the other team's adjustments or just failing to recognize the situations.

Did we really exceed expectations last season? We lost in the 1st round the previous season, upgraded on defense and offense while Lundqvist got better and the result was a 2nd round loss. Seems to be right on schedule to me. I think some people forget just how desperate we were before that Feb. 5th trade for Avery. Look at the run we had to make to just make the playoffs. Hey, I'll give credit to the team, coach and gm for the run and for the achievements but I'm not going to celebrate the fact that they surpassed expectations.

Renney is a good coach but I think people are underestimating just how good you have to be to win a cup. It's not even being good, but it is possessing certain characteristics and abilities that are necessary for a cup. I would think on the fly adjustments are at the top of the list because you don't really get the chance to go to the tape after the game or figure out what you should do next time when the opposition throws you a curveball. Every game counts. You have to recognize your needs, know where that solution is and apply it. It seems like too often Renney's solutions have been to throw out Jagr, Nylander and Straka or get Shanny the puck. That area needs to improve before this team wins a cup. Not saying he can't do it, just saying it's hard to trust him explicitly.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 09:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Not saying he can't do it, just saying it's hard to trust him explicitly.
I do not think that it is so much that he does not recognize that something is needs to be changed. Rather he is stuborn and refuses to believe that something that he drew up on a board is not working. At times he seems incredulous on the bench when his gameplan is not working out. He refuses to adjust becuase his X's and O's told him that the results should be different. He will not adjust becuase eventually, he believes, the game will revert to what his chalk board told him it would do.

It is very much like his refusal to get Jagr away from Madden and Pandalfo. Renney believes that natural talent will conquer all (maybe that is why he is so facinated with Hossa). He believes that if he puts the best players on the ice, their natural talent and skill will overcome any "planning and strategy" that the opposing coach will throw out there. That is probably why he refuses to utilize the last line change when on home ice, allowing the opposition to dicatate the matchups, even when they are being played at MSG.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 09:52 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It is very much like his refusal to get Jagr away from Madden and Pandalfo. Renney believes that natural talent will conquer all (maybe that is why he is so facinated with Hossa). He believes that if he puts the best players on the ice, their natural talent and skill will overcome any "planning and strategy" that the opposing coach will throw out there. That is probably why he refuses to utilize the last line change when on home ice, allowing the opposition to dicatate the matchups, even when they are being played at MSG.
This is definitely one of my big problems with Renney's coaching philosophy. I mean come on, who in the NHL does not do some sort of line matching?

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 12:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Renney is the man

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 03:11 PM
kickice

Send a message via MSN to kickice
Tom Renney I would say, has more than earnt the trust of most.

He's done a helluva job with this team, and long may it continue. I have a lot of respect for him, he's a classy guy (who wears funny suits).

kickice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'm a big Renney supporter. Like previous posters have mentioned...he's the only one that has the players buying into a system.

I think his coaching style, and personality are perfect for this team.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 07:50 PM
DutchShamrock

Reading this thread, I just get the impression that some people are confusing the question "Is Renney the guy to win the cup?" with "Is Renney competent?". I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that he has been the best coach by far since the mid '90s. I don't think anyone is questioning his accomplishments. I don't think anyone doubts that Renney has the ability to get this team to the Conference finals.

The heart of the matter is being avoided however. Can Tom Renney outcoach the best team and coach in this conference and in the other conference? Because that is what he has to do to win us the cup. He can't simply rely on his vets to score 1 more than the other team. He can't rely on Henrik to cover up the defense's mistakes. When it comes time for Renney to play a chess game with the likes of Ruff or Burke or whoever it is at the end, can he win the match? Will he even participate in the match? What is he going to do if Pandolfo and Madden shut down Jagr? What's he going to do when Tortorella constantly puts Lecavilier and St. Louis out against Callahan, Prucha and Avery? What's he going to do if his bread and butter goes sour?

I really don't doubt Renney's ability through April and into May. But how does everyone honestly feel about his tendencies and habits come June? Do you really trust him to make adjustments, to think on the fly, change the game plan period to period? Do you really trust that he'll have the right guys out there when we are tied late or if we have a 1 goal lead with 30 seconds to go?

Maybe you really really think that and honestly your guess is as good as mine... But I have to ask, where are you drawing your trust from? What is telling some of you that there is no reason to doubt that he'll make the right decision when the season is on the line? Like I said before, I'm not implying that he can't do it. I'm just not going to put my blind faith in the guy because I haven't seen anything yet to justify it.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Renney makes his share of mistakes, but what coach doesn't? Sure Renney won't go down as one of the NHL's greatest coaches, but how many of those are around these days?

The fact is, Renney did quite a good job with the team last year. He's coached his 3rd Full season as an NHL coach (2nd with the Rangers.) He's still learning. There aren't many coaches who will be championship coaches in their 3rd year. Tortorella won the Cup in his 3rd year with the Lightning, so maybe the 3rd year with this team is Renney's lucky charm. I like looking at Torts because that's a good comparison in some ways. In his 2nd season coaching Tampa they had 88 points and were eliminated from the playoffs in the 2nd round. In the 3rd year, they had 100 points and won the cup (of course this was pre-shootout days). All I'm saying is that's a good 12 point bounce and a cup championship. I'm sure no one was saying that after that 2nd round loss that Torts would lead Tampa to the cup the next year, but he did it. So you never know.

Either way, in the Buffalo series, the Rangers were the better team and I think many people know this. However, when it came down to it the Rangers made stupid mistakes at the wrong time and it cost them the series. Buffalo was the team who capitalized on stupid mistakes and made you pay. That's what thing the Rangers need to become. That's what a great team does, they capitalize on the other team's stupidity. Of course Buffalo didn't last much longer after that, but that's another story.

Plus any coach who can make Jagr play like only Jagr can and on top of that can make Jagr back check is a good coach in my book. He must be doing something right if all the players are buying into the system he teaches and love the guy. I mean, I've been one of the people who have called for Renney's head in the past, but when push comes to shove and it was clutch time last season, he really showed me that he could coach. 14-3-3 in the last 20 is no fluke and it definitely wasn't in spite of him either.

Sure Renney made some bad personnel decisions and some some bad coaching moves here and there, but as they say, you live, you learn.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 09-11-2007 at 08:50 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote