HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Unbreakable Record in NHL

Old
09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
slade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Gretzky's career points total of 2,857. A player would have to average 143 points a year for 20 years to break it. I can't see it.
LOL

freakin recokulous

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
raleh

Glenn Hall's consecutive games record.

Gretzky's points records are not unbeatable. The game hasn't been around for that long and has a much longer future than it has a past. We have NO IDEA who's coming, so saying that a points record is the most unbeatable one is kind of ridiculous.

Something like Mosienko's hat trick has more to do with luck than anything else. Maybe it will never be broken, but it most certainly could be. Imagine how fast Gaborik could score three goals if everything worked itself out.

With Hall's record, nobody will even be given the chance to beat it now that teams carry more than one goalie. That record is as safe as they come.

What's most interesting about this is that 10 years ago I would have said that Sawchuk's shutout record was as safe as Gretzky's points record. Within a year and a half at most it will be Brodeurs...

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
toastman344*

Quote:
Something like Mosienko's hat trick has more to do with luck than anything else. Maybe it will never be broken, but it most certainly could be. Imagine how fast Gaborik could score three goals if everything worked itself out.
I would say Mosienko's record is safe for the next 10,000 years ! AT LEAST ! Btw...what's the next fastest hat trick anyone know ????

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

It's not really a record, but Lemieux's es, pp, sh, ps, en in one game will never happen again.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
It's not really a record, but Lemieux's es, pp, sh, ps, en in one game will never happen again.
Eh, I'm as big of a Lemieux fan as there is, but I don't agree with you on this. It is unlikely to happen again, but it definitely could. Not only could it happen again, it could be beaten per se (ES, PP, SH, PS, EN, SO).

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

It could, but the chances are extremely slim. I'd see 216 scored before that happened, but odds are the person that scored 216 in a season has the best shot at it.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:42 PM
nerdman60

#99's 92 goal season.

nerdman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
It could, but the chances are extremely slim. I'd see 216 scored before that happened, but odds are the person that scored 216 in a season has the best shot at it.
To score 216 points in a season requires incredible skill. The guy who does it, if it ever happens, will have to be arguably the greatest player of all time. But anybody who has ever scored five goals in a game (Bengt Gustafsson, Grant Mulvey, Mike Ricci, Pat Hughes, and Mark Pavelich are on this list) is capable of doing them five different ways, it's mostly just a matter of circumstance. Same with Mosienko's 21-second hat-trick. It's unlikely to happen, but anybody could go out there and have the game of their life and achieve those records. Not so with a 216-point season.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterDufus View Post
The Toronto Maple Leafs record of 40 years and counting of being the most overrated hockey team.
I tried to bite my tongue, I really did, but the debate advancing, constructive post is there, so it's fair game to respond to right?

They spent the decade of the 80's as (rightfully so) the laughing stock of the league. Would this be part of your 40 years of overrating? [insert "you're young, aren't you?" joke]

Anyhow, Glenn Hall's game record and the 39 in 50 are mine.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
mpm26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I tried to bite my tongue, I really did, but the debate advancing, constructive post is there, so it's fair game to respond to right?

They spent the decade of the 80's as (rightfully so) the laughing stock of the league. Would this be part of your 40 years of overrating? [insert "you're young, aren't you?" joke]

Anyhow, Glenn Hall's game record and the 39 in 50 are mine.
I would say its more like 40 years of having a superiority complex. They havent won anything since six teams were in the league. Plus they bring there annoying fans to other teams rinks and start fights.

mpm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 09:18 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Gretzy's record of 212 points in a season.
actually

I think that is touchable with the new rules and some of the talent coming up

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm26 View Post
I would say its more like 40 years of having a superiority complex. They havent won anything since six teams were in the league. Plus they bring there annoying fans to other teams rinks and start fights.
Lol.. so, by overrated, you did, in fact, mean something completely different? I can't be held responsible for that. One response, and no more, no need to take this thread OT.

1) We don't have a superiority complex. Sense of entitlement after being boned for 25 years by Ballard, maybe, but superiority, no. Unless you mean in the context of being the biggest, richest franchise there is, but, what's to argue there?

2) There's a lot of us, yes, thank you .

NYI consecutive playoff series wins will likely never be touched. Hard to see anyone coming close Tiger's 3966 PIM nowadays too. There, now it's on topic.

Old
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM
mpm26

Quote:
Lol.. so, by overrated, you did, in fact, mean something completely different? I can't be held responsible for that. One response, and no more, no need to take this thread OT.

1) We don't have a superiority complex. Sense of entitlement after being boned for 25 years by Ballard, maybe, but superiority, no. Unless you mean in the context of being the biggest, richest franchise there is, but, what's to argue there?

2) There's a lot of us, yes, thank you .

NYI consecutive playoff series wins will likely never be touched. Hard to see anyone coming close Tiger's 3966 PIM nowadays too. There, now it's on topic.
Who cares if you are the richest team out there. You still cant buy a
championship.

Old
09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Jag68Sid87

I think of Gretzky's big three single-season records...the 92 goals, the 212 points and the 50 goals in 39 games...I think the latter is the most difficult. When we think of how hard players these days have it just to score 50 in 82 games, 39 just seems out of reach by a country mile.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
championship.
Okay, two responses...

Who said anyone cares? Just taking a stab at this 'superiority complex' you speak of. 'Cause it ain't about winning, Leafland knows this. Not sure what else you'd be talking about? Is that what you were talking about? What are you talking about?

Can't see a player with ten points in one game happening again, how often do you even see a team put up ten total in the last 20 or so years?

Old
09-04-2007, 10:13 PM
mpm26

Quote:
Okay, two responses...

Who said anyone cares? Just taking a stab at this 'superiority complex' you speak of. 'Cause it ain't about winning, Leafland knows this. Not sure what else you'd be talking about? Is that what you were talking about? What are you talking about?

Can't see a player with ten points in one game happening again, how often do you even see a team put up ten total in the last 20 or so years?
The problem with leaf fans is that they are arrogant and they have no reason to be. They think it is there divine right to win every year.

Old
09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1275
back to the topic, there are a few that I don't think will be broken. Hall's streak, the +/- of Orr, but for me I vote for beating 10 points in a game by Mr. Darryl Sittler.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 10:20 PM
mpm26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
back to the topic, there are a few that I don't think will be broken. Hall's streak, the +/- of Orr, but for me I vote for beating 10 points in a game by Mr. Darryl Sittler.
I think that the record that will be the hardest to be broken is gretzky career point toal of 2857. You have to stay healthy and put up a lot of big years. I think that only crosby can possible do that.

Old
09-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

+/- of Orr is a good one, nice to see an agreement on Sittler's ten, thanks Gord.

Quote:
The problem with leaf fans is that they are arrogant and they have no reason to be. They think it is there divine right to win every year.
You mean they cheer for their team unwaveringly through the good and the bad, while egging on fans of other teams as is the nature of sports? I suppose you're right.

I'm done mod's .. sincerely this time .

Old
09-04-2007, 10:40 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

How about Henri Richard's 11 cups...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
championship.
Detroit did

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:35 AM
mpm26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Detroit did
I wasnt talking about det. I have no problem with them.

Old
09-05-2007, 07:30 AM
JaymzB

Other than some of the more obvious one's like Hall's consecutive games played record...

Gretzky's 1963 career assists or 163 assists in a season.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Slapshooter

In a future, scoring might be going up again some day, so total point records might not last forever after all.

However, Mario Lemieux did that 5 goals in 5 different ways in one game -trick.
even-strength goal, power-play goal, shorthanded goal, penalty shot, and empty-netter.

That's just sick and supernatural.

Has anyone even done 4 goals in 4 different ways?

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshooter View Post
In a future, scoring might be going up again some day, so total point records might not last forever after all.

However, Mario Lemieux did that 5 goals in 5 different ways in one game -trick.
even-strength goal, power-play goal, shorthanded goal, penalty shot, and empty-netter.

That's just sick and supernatural.

Has anyone even done 4 goals in 4 different ways?
But again, you don't have to be that great of a player to do this. In fact, I don't even consider it a record, but rather a "trick", as you stated. There's nothing preventing PJ Axelsson from going out and doing this on the opening day of the season. Neat? Yes. Rare? Yes. One the the sport's great "records"? No.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote