HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do SJ, COL, STL, TOR, OTT, PHI & NJ have in common?

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 01:59 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
What do SJ, COL, STL, TOR, OTT, PHI & NJ have in common?

They are the only teams in the league with fewer regulation losses than the Bruins. Even with the slide they've have endured, the B's only have 11 regulation losses. Even Detroit has more.

Of those losses, the Bruins were outscored by more than 2 goals only four times (TBY, TOR, CAL & OTT). That means of the total combined regulation and OT losses (15), the Bruins have been within a two goal or less reach about 75% of the time. Though scoring is down across that league, that's not too bad.

When you look at all of the games the Bruins have played (40), factoring in the number of ties (10), the Bruins have been inches away from having a much better record.

Just imagine how good this team would be if they had a reliable 2-way defenseman and a #2 center who could carry the second line? With that in mind, I could still go for a Sean Hill/Ron Francis deal. Ship them Hal Gill or Jeff Jillson and a decent draft pick and see what happens. Losing one of those guys would hurt, but the B's have enough young players in the system to absorb the loss.

I am not big on adding more UFA veterans to the current team, but for the right price, these two guys could do the trick and help make the B's truly competitive. Francis would give the B's an instant shot of leadership. Put him with Bergeron and Murray and see if you have a bonafide second line. Meanwhile, have Samsonov and Knuble ride shotgun with Thornton, and tell Joe he has to drive to the net more.

As for the defense, with Morrisonn in tow, the B's have a tad more mobility. Add Hill to the mix and not only do you have a point man who can run the PP, but you get an agitating leader who would be a great addition for the playoffs.

Overall, the Bruins have many pieces in place for a good playoff team that can actually do some damage. If they had a few holes filled, then with a little more focus and leadership, they may have a chance to do something.

Samsonov-Thornton-Knuble
Bergeron-Francis-Murray
Axelsson-Rolston-Lapointe
Donato-Green-McCarthy

O'Donnell-Hill
McGillis-Boynton
Gill-Morrisonn

Raycroft-Potvin

Another option is Eric Lindros. His $9M contract is half paid for now, and the B's would be able to walk away at the end of the season if they want. The big E has a little more pop in his game now, but has been a target of Sather's all season. The Bruins would get a big name to throw at the fans as well as the chance for a legit #2 center who is still one of the biggest in the league. And seeing how he's at his all time low point, he might be had on the ultra cheap.

If not and the Bruins want to stand pat, then I advocate trading Glen Murray and a defenseman. The fact is, with the fundamental issues on this team, the Bruins wont go anywhere in the post season. That probability is increased tenfold if they finish with a bottom seed. So I say trade Murray and a defenseman with some value (O'Donnell or McGillis) and try to land a good young player or two.

I like Murray, but I see him as being too one-dimensional. Besides, he's never done much in the crunch and that's a big concern for a #1 RW. I'd rather have a player who delivers like Sigmund Palffy. If not, there are a few other top flight wingers who could possibly be lured to beantown (Kariya, Kovalev or maybe Bondra). Who knows, maybe even Murray would come back. On D, the loss of O'D or McG could be covered now that Morrisonn is in tow. It could also be a chance to bring up Jurcina or let Kutlak play.

Of course I doubt the B's would trade their own players like this. That would be a signal that they are closer to throwing in the towel than going for the playoffs. If we know anything about Jacobs and Sinden, it's that this is the absolute last option. Instead, the B's will probably ride out the season with most of the current cast of players, maybe adding a player or two but no major shake-ups.

Last edited by MeisterBruinmaker: 01-06-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 02:24 PM
bwunderlich

MB,

you trying to sell me an Anchor Steam for full price when half of it is gone?

i count 10 eastern conference teams w/more wins (19 league-wide).

i think both statistics are telling of the schizo-affective, bipolar nature of this team. just like last year, a game or two and we feel like legitimate contenders and conversely after a handfull of games, we're convinced were in the lottery for the 1st pick.

seriously though, i am still delusional enough to think that one upgrade to the D and a 2nd line center make us a team that could have a nice run.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:36 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich
MB,

you trying to sell me an Anchor Steam for full price when half of it is gone?

i count 10 eastern conference teams w/more wins (19 league-wide).

i think both statistics are telling of the schizo-affective, bipolar nature of this team. just like last year, a game or two and we feel like legitimate contenders and conversely after a handfull of games, we're convinced were in the lottery for the 1st pick.

seriously though, i am still delusional enough to think that one upgrade to the D and a 2nd line center make us a team that could have a nice run.
Yah man.

The B's really do have several pieces in place. If they had a guy who could help carry the second line, they would be in much better shape. The bottom line is the Bruins simply depend more on their offense to pull them through rather than a stingy defense. Give the team a reliable second line and their chances to win a game have just improved exponentially.

That said, getting that needed defenseman is a whole nutha ballgame. They are rare and expensive. With Morrisonn in tow, the B's can sit tight for now and see what he can do. In the mean time, they can focus much more of their energy on team defense. Coaching has to step up in this regard.

Anyhow, the point is, if the B's were to at least add a legit second line center and tighten up their team defense, they will have a strong chance to turn more of those close games into wins.

The next month will be real interesting...

Old
01-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
Yah man.

The B's really do have several pieces in place. If they had a guy who could help carry the second line, they would be in much better shape. The bottom line is the Bruins simply depend more on their offense to pull them through rather than a stingy defense. Give the team a reliable second line and their chances to win a game have just improved exponentially.

That said, getting that needed defenseman is a whole nutha ballgame. They are rare and expensive. With Morrisonn in tow, the B's can sit tight for now and see what he can do. In the mean time, they can focus much more of their energy on team defense. Coaching has to step up in this regard.

Anyhow, the point is, if the B's were to at least add a legit second line center and tighten up their team defense, they will have a strong chance to turn more of those close games into wins.

The next month will be real interesting...
Meister your optimism is turning my world inside out....dark is light....day is night....up is down. I am in bizarro HF world!

Seriously though, you are right. I am *very* happy with the way Shaone Morrisson has played. I almost wish Shane was still here to eat crow. Anyway he adds a nice element to our blue line. While he will still face struggles along the way I cant see how he will be a complete bust that so many predicted he will be. Defense is a tough position and you have to be patient. That is why I refuse to write Lars Jonsson off.

This year may be a struggle, but post CBA IF there is a cap the Bruins will be in good shape with young, somewhat inexpensive (some experienced) defenseman, inexpensive (but very good) goalies, and a decent core of forwards.....and they will have whatever money they need to fill in the blanks. My only problem is I trust they will spend the money...I just dont think they will do it right.....unless Lou Lams or Burke is here.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:44 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
I've been saying since summer that this is another year in a retooling process. I can accept a shakey season. The hot start, big cooldown trend is not good though. I'd be okay with 5-5 + 5-5 instead of 10-0 + 0-10, know what I mean?

The one thing that really irks me is the conflicted message the team sends. It would really be okay with me if O'Connell was selling the message that the team is rebuilding and the fans have to be patient. But to have JJ rattling his Sabre (get it?) and O'Connell being under fire just confuses things - are we supposed to be a winner now?

If viewed realistically, this season is not so bad. It's great to see all the kids looking pretty promising. With some better output from the vets, things would actually be pretty solid.

Old
01-07-2004, 01:05 PM
BruinsGirl

B's weren't a force from the beginning...These 2 nice starts last and this year can be explained by slow starts of teams that b's have beaten.

All these Toronto,Vancouver,Colorado,Ottawa etc last year started very slow... During that hot start B's were still blown out by Minny,Ducks and St.Louis - hot teams.

This year NJD, Dallas (still not winning enough),Colorado, Ottawa started slow. Tampa beat us 5-1 during our "hot start"...

So both of these "hot starts" were lucky but not true.

Closed Thread