Notices

Bergeron the hope for Canada?

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Bergeron the hope for Canada?

Though I believe we are an honest, sometimes brutally honest board...sometimes I fear we are being homers -in regards to the guys we like...

I mean is Bergeron really as good as we say and want him to be?
Some of the smartest guys in hockey think so.

I found it interesting how after yesterdays WJC loss, the TSN announcers (heartbroken Canadians) kept pointing to the fact that (with the expected work-stoppage) Bergeron and Hornton could play for Canada. Plus Canada (who had a very yound team by WJC standards) had 13 players eligable to return from their silver-medal squad...

What I found interesting is the number of times they mentioned that Bergeron could play next year...he was always mentioned before Horton (and the 13 returning players) as things for Canada to look forward to...

Maybe we are all right after-all...

(BTW -for the record...I thought Stuart was better than Suter! but not in the same class as Phaneuf...I thought Mark was very fortunate not to have gotten a 5+min elbowing penalty which would have likely cost his team the game... overall an EXCELLENT pick where we got him...(though I still want Stewart...who tied Parise for the tourney lead)...but time will tell if we should have given up the 16th...

Thoughts?

Old
01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I don't think there are many people that would argue that they would rather have had Phaneuf over Stuart. We had NO SHOT at Phaneuf, so we have to leave him out when comparing Stuart to other picks....

I too wanted Anthony Stewart to be our selection. I figured with our young defensemen it made sense to grab a power winger, but as evidenced this year, you can't have too many defensemen prospects...Add in the character we drafted.....A natural born leader who has won at every level, and who captained a USA team with the likes of Suter, Parise, Eaves and O'Sullivan. That says alot to me...

Old
01-06-2004, 02:52 PM
neelynugs

suter really climbed the ladder fast in the final weeks leading up to the draft. i remember talking to a leafs scout at a boston college game last january, and asked him about 15-20 of the players that wound up in the 1st and 2nd rounds. the one thing i remember most was when i brought up phaneuf's name. the guy's eyes got huge, and said "absolute stud- i love love love that kid". after that, i started to read up on him and how can you NOT like what you get? so to end my story, i'm a bit surprised that nashville went with suter over phaneuf...but...i think they both will be excellent players.

ps - i think bergeron is the real deal. he'll turn out to be a guy that gets almost no press around the league, but continues to impress the locals and pile up points. what will he be like with 15 more pounds of muscle? *DROOLS*

Old
01-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Mizral

Bergeron is a pretty good rookie, but let's not forget - Scott Gomez and Tyler Arnason were pretty good rookies too. Bergeron needs more time to develop as a pro, and it's a bit early to say just what exactly he'll be.

If you had to press me, I'd say Bergeron looks like a 2nd line centre down the road. But it could go a lot of ways.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:29 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

If you had to press me, I'd say Bergeron looks like a 2nd line centre down the road. But it could go a lot of ways.
sounds good to me- we already have a 1st line center named joe something

Old
01-06-2004, 03:33 PM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Bergeron is a pretty good rookie, but let's not forget - Scott Gomez and Tyler Arnason were pretty good rookies too. Bergeron needs more time to develop as a pro, and it's a bit early to say just what exactly he'll be.

You're just bitter about the Sharks game.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:39 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbruin
You're just bitter about the Sharks game.

it's that buzzkill syndrome again

Closed Thread