HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Half way report card

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 01:44 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Half way report card

I know its one game short but I only had time today.

Mike York – B+, most consistent forward, scoring big goals, makes linemates better and is the only Oiler forward who is creating scoring chances out of nothing. Isn’t very effective as a PP point man but that speaks to the weakness of the Oiler D.

Jason Smith – B, Having a good year, our best D-man most nights, needs to act like a captain and lead once and a while, miss the Smith of old who used to kamikaze his body once a game for a huge hit. Still he stands out among a sorry D bunch.

Raffi Torres – B-, He certainly wasn’t expected to be second in goals but mind you 11 goals at the halfway point is not as impressive on other teams. Isn’t the agitator Management made him out to be but still delivers some decent bodywork.

Steve Staois – B-, gamer pure and simple who is also a very smart player, he is however being played far more than he should be, too flat-footed to be playing 30 minutes his weaknesses are exposed against good lines. He’d be a great #4-5 on most teams unfortunately our D-Corp has been decimated by K-Lowe making Stevie a top 3 on our team.

Ryan Smyth – C+, not scoring a lot but hey he’s seen all his linemates traded on and now we wonder why he’s slumping. Needs talent around him to succeed, trading him now would be an epic mistake.

Marc-Andre Bergeron C+, he was sent down why? At least he makes mistakes while trying great things, the only Oiler D’man who seemed to understand PP mechanics. Good outlet passer which is more than I can say for well…. Just about the entire Oil D-Corp

Marty Reasoner – C+, too bad he got hurt we miss his smart play and he seems to bring out the best in Ethan and Pisani.

Ty Conklin – C+, good start to a career, seems to have played worse since Salo came back, needs a couple of 45 save/game steals to prove he’s for real. Looks like Salo is MacT’s horse though.

Radek Dvorak – C, skates like the wind and busts his ass every shift, too bad he has no finish whatsoever, need more production from a second line forward. We can look at this guy through rose-colored glasses forever if we choose too but doesn’t change the fact he’s not producing. The upside it that unbelievably this guy is 26 years old and is a 8 year vet.

Ales Hemsky – C-, Another guy who is getting kid-glove treatment, understandable since he is only 20 but the last 2 games I attended live he was the worst Oiler on the ice bar none. Scared of his own shadow and making stupid pass after stupid pass. Where is the “Gremsky” that finished last year with those beautiful passes and game control stickhandling. Still makes the odd sensational play that makes you weep though.

Jarett Stoll – C-For our 13th forward he’s having a pretty good year. Good hands, good hockey sense. Needs to be a little more involved in every shift and watch the stupid penalties. Are we winning the Lomabardi for Stoll, dumb asset management swap of 2001 though?

Fernando Pisani – C-, I started the year as a big Fernando fan but lately he’s lost that “I’m never going back to the minors” edge. If your not scoring at least 15-20 Fernando what exactly are we keeping you for? Defensive forwards are a dime a dozen, scoring is what keeps you in the show.

Anatoli Semenov – C-, Has played better as the season has gone along, secured a lineup spot with consistent play, my only beef is why have a 6’6 D-man with average offensive ability if he’s never going to punish anybody? More Leroux than Chara!

Eric Brewer – C-, wakes up to find he’s the only skilled D-man on the team and takes the first 2 months to recoup from the shock. Misses Janne like the deserts miss the rain. Hopefully the old bitter Oiler fan faction doesn’t run him out of town. If we had 5 more like him we would be a great team. Needs to keep up recent good play.

Cory Cross – D+, Decent enough D-man for being about as mobile as those big gnarly tree creatures in LOTR. Would be great paired with an offensive minded rushing D-man if we only had one. Unfortunately on the slowest D-corp in the league he sticks out like a statue.

Scott Ferguson – D+, I’m sick of everyone saying he does the little things right, let me be the first to say he does all of the important things (skating, scoring, hitting) wrong.

Ethan Moreau – D+, We signed this guy for 4 years!!! Why out of the Marchant, Grier, Moreau trio did we keep this bag of manure. He’s a big guy who doesn’t hit, he doesn’t fight anymore, he doesn’t agitate he certainly doesn’t score with regularity. He scores his first in 20 games against Chicago and the media act like he’s on a tear. He was K-Lowe’s coaches-pet ever since he fought that guy with a dislocated shoulder and we’ve been paying the price ever since. Call up any forward from Toronto and give him 20 games with Ethan’s ice time and I’ll guarantee you he scores more than once. Just because he looks like a hockey player doesn’t mean he is one Kevin!!

Adam Oates – D, It’s time to admit old mil-a-point is a disappoint. Please don’t tell me he’s improved our faceoffs look at our record since K-Lowe signed him. We shouldn’t be surprised that a 41 year old who had a sub par year last season playing with Kariya and Sykora is struggling on our team. Please if he catches a hot streak move him as soon as some dumb GM has finished saying “7th round pick”.

Jason Chimera – D-, disappointed me all year, love his talent but no excuses, he’s not producing. I will say that MacT has never given him a clearly defined roster spot in his 2 years with the big club and a least when Chimera sits he comes with a little jam the next game and usually fights or does something to be noticed. At the Heritage classic game I thought he was the best Oiler forward, same as the Carolina game I went to, of course MacT saw different as he benched him the next game.

Brad Isbister – D-, yeah he’s played well for the last few games but so what. The aptly nicknamed Invisibister does nothing weeks on end and then makes us all salivate when he brings his talent to bear for a period or two. Could be a dominant player if he actually had some passion. Instead we have the second coming of Kilger.

Shawn Horcoff – D-, what does in say when old ****-sneeze is having a miserable season and is fifth on scoring on this team. Are we picking on him or is he more talented than we give him credit for? I actually like him but I feel he just hasn’t discovered his niche yet.

Georges Laraque – F, Unfortunately K-Lowe hung on to his fraud way to long and now the whole league is on to him. Only can hope that one of the Neanderthal GM’s in the league (Clarke or Sather) will let there old instincts take over and they’ll give us something for him. Classified ad for Big G, likes – his mom, Ann Geddes ripoff photos, DJaying and the honour code. Dislikes – intensity, instigating or intimidating. I know its easy to criticize someone who has to trade punches with men that would make me wet my pants with a stern look but hey he’s never understood his role.

Tommy Salo – F, hasn’t won us a single game and the most we can hope for anymore is that he doesn’t lose them for us, being average at best is inexcusable for our big money goalie. Again K-Lowe has kept this asset way past its expiry date. My only question is, what happened? Is it all mental for Tommy or has he lost some skill.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Hmmm. I think I disagree with a few.

MAB- is above Dvo? I give MAB a C-.
M. Reasoner- you cant penalize a guy for getting hurt, I give him a B+.
T. Conklin- saved us from Salos early season woes, I give him a B.
R. Dvorak- has overcome some personal thigns and has been our second best forward IMO behind York, I give him a B+.
Anatoli Semenov- sure got a decent grade for a guy who's been out of the league for 10 years.
E. Moreau- D+???, he's one of few that come to play every game, give his talent a C+ and his heart a A+, I'll settle at a B+.
S. Horcoff and Brad Isbister- have both been awesome as of late, I'd give them both a C overall.
T. Salo- I know ow easy it is to give this guy an F, but hes been solid since coming back, I'll give him a D+.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:18 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i have to agree with Mowzie's adjustments no way does Moreau earn a D+ based on what? lack of scoring? jeez thats not his job you say call any forward from the farm to take his place with his time and they will score more? well rita/salmaleinen probably cud, but then they'd let in way more penalties than Ethan.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:33 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
I know its one game short but I only had time today.

Mike York – B+, most consistent forward, scoring big goals, makes linemates better and is the only Oiler forward who is creating scoring chances out of nothing. Isn’t very effective as a PP point man but that speaks to the weakness of the Oiler D.

Jason Smith – B, Having a good year, our best D-man most nights, needs to act like a captain and lead once and a while, miss the Smith of old who used to kamikaze his body once a game for a huge hit. Still he stands out among a sorry D bunch.

Raffi Torres – B-, He certainly wasn’t expected to be second in goals but mind you 11 goals at the halfway point is not as impressive on other teams. Isn’t the agitator Management made him out to be but still delivers some decent bodywork.

Steve Staois – B-, gamer pure and simple who is also a very smart player, he is however being played far more than he should be, too flat-footed to be playing 30 minutes his weaknesses are exposed against good lines. He’d be a great #4-5 on most teams unfortunately our D-Corp has been decimated by K-Lowe making Stevie a top 3 on our team.

Ryan Smyth – C+, not scoring a lot but hey he’s seen all his linemates traded on and now we wonder why he’s slumping. Needs talent around him to succeed, trading him now would be an epic mistake.

Marc-Andre Bergeron C+, he was sent down why? At least he makes mistakes while trying great things, the only Oiler D’man who seemed to understand PP mechanics. Good outlet passer which is more than I can say for well…. Just about the entire Oil D-Corp

Marty Reasoner – C+, too bad he got hurt we miss his smart play and he seems to bring out the best in Ethan and Pisani.

Ty Conklin – C+, good start to a career, seems to have played worse since Salo came back, needs a couple of 45 save/game steals to prove he’s for real. Looks like Salo is MacT’s horse though.

Radek Dvorak – C, skates like the wind and busts his ass every shift, too bad he has no finish whatsoever, need more production from a second line forward. We can look at this guy through rose-colored glasses forever if we choose too but doesn’t change the fact he’s not producing. The upside it that unbelievably this guy is 26 years old and is a 8 year vet.

Ales Hemsky – C-, Another guy who is getting kid-glove treatment, understandable since he is only 20 but the last 2 games I attended live he was the worst Oiler on the ice bar none. Scared of his own shadow and making stupid pass after stupid pass. Where is the “Gremsky” that finished last year with those beautiful passes and game control stickhandling. Still makes the odd sensational play that makes you weep though.

Jarett Stoll – C-For our 13th forward he’s having a pretty good year. Good hands, good hockey sense. Needs to be a little more involved in every shift and watch the stupid penalties. Are we winning the Lomabardi for Stoll, dumb asset management swap of 2001 though?

Fernando Pisani – C-, I started the year as a big Fernando fan but lately he’s lost that “I’m never going back to the minors” edge. If your not scoring at least 15-20 Fernando what exactly are we keeping you for? Defensive forwards are a dime a dozen, scoring is what keeps you in the show.

Anatoli Semenov – C-, Has played better as the season has gone along, secured a lineup spot with consistent play, my only beef is why have a 6’6 D-man with average offensive ability if he’s never going to punish anybody? More Leroux than Chara!

Eric Brewer – C-, wakes up to find he’s the only skilled D-man on the team and takes the first 2 months to recoup from the shock. Misses Janne like the deserts miss the rain. Hopefully the old bitter Oiler fan faction doesn’t run him out of town. If we had 5 more like him we would be a great team. Needs to keep up recent good play.

Cory Cross – D+, Decent enough D-man for being about as mobile as those big gnarly tree creatures in LOTR. Would be great paired with an offensive minded rushing D-man if we only had one. Unfortunately on the slowest D-corp in the league he sticks out like a statue.

Scott Ferguson – D+, I’m sick of everyone saying he does the little things right, let me be the first to say he does all of the important things (skating, scoring, hitting) wrong.

Ethan Moreau – D+, We signed this guy for 4 years!!! Why out of the Marchant, Grier, Moreau trio did we keep this bag of manure. He’s a big guy who doesn’t hit, he doesn’t fight anymore, he doesn’t agitate he certainly doesn’t score with regularity. He scores his first in 20 games against Chicago and the media act like he’s on a tear. He was K-Lowe’s coaches-pet ever since he fought that guy with a dislocated shoulder and we’ve been paying the price ever since. Call up any forward from Toronto and give him 20 games with Ethan’s ice time and I’ll guarantee you he scores more than once. Just because he looks like a hockey player doesn’t mean he is one Kevin!!

Adam Oates – D, It’s time to admit old mil-a-point is a disappoint. Please don’t tell me he’s improved our faceoffs look at our record since K-Lowe signed him. We shouldn’t be surprised that a 41 year old who had a sub par year last season playing with Kariya and Sykora is struggling on our team. Please if he catches a hot streak move him as soon as some dumb GM has finished saying “7th round pick”.

Jason Chimera – D-, disappointed me all year, love his talent but no excuses, he’s not producing. I will say that MacT has never given him a clearly defined roster spot in his 2 years with the big club and a least when Chimera sits he comes with a little jam the next game and usually fights or does something to be noticed. At the Heritage classic game I thought he was the best Oiler forward, same as the Carolina game I went to, of course MacT saw different as he benched him the next game.

Brad Isbister – D-, yeah he’s played well for the last few games but so what. The aptly nicknamed Invisibister does nothing weeks on end and then makes us all salivate when he brings his talent to bear for a period or two. Could be a dominant player if he actually had some passion. Instead we have the second coming of Kilger.

Shawn Horcoff – D-, what does in say when old ****-sneeze is having a miserable season and is fifth on scoring on this team. Are we picking on him or is he more talented than we give him credit for? I actually like him but I feel he just hasn’t discovered his niche yet.

Georges Laraque – F, Unfortunately K-Lowe hung on to his fraud way to long and now the whole league is on to him. Only can hope that one of the Neanderthal GM’s in the league (Clarke or Sather) will let there old instincts take over and they’ll give us something for him. Classified ad for Big G, likes – his mom, Ann Geddes ripoff photos, DJaying and the honour code. Dislikes – intensity, instigating or intimidating. I know its easy to criticize someone who has to trade punches with men that would make me wet my pants with a stern look but hey he’s never understood his role.

Tommy Salo – F, hasn’t won us a single game and the most we can hope for anymore is that he doesn’t lose them for us, being average at best is inexcusable for our big money goalie. Again K-Lowe has kept this asset way past its expiry date. My only question is, what happened? Is it all mental for Tommy or has he lost some skill.
Fairly biased analysis. Try to be more subjective next time.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:04 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
What the...........?

That was biased be more subjective???

That's rather ironic, opinionated and biased all in itself.

Not to mention incorrect (I goofed on it at first too, stupid school rotting my brain).

Objective maybe? But objectivity in the opinion of athletes is an illusion.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 01-06-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 06:22 PM
theoil

Am I ever glad I didn't have you as a teacher in school. Hard marker.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Cerebral

I personally don't agree with most of your marks.. your grading of Moreau seems way of. He probably hits more than any other forward on our team (granted we don't hit much as a whole anymore) and always gives 100%.. he might not light the lamp on a consistant basis but he has certainly done his job.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
One question (won't even touch on the gradings):
When did we draft, trade for, or sign this "Anatoli" Semenov.

I would question if you follow the Oilers closely and if you watch many games if you can't even get that right.

All we need is a Mathewe Reasoner, Trevor Conklin, and a Jonathan Stoll and we'd be set!

Old
01-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I personally don't agree with most of your marks.. your grading of Moreau seems way of. He probably hits more than any other forward on our team (granted we don't hit much as a whole anymore) and always gives 100%.. he might not light the lamp on a consistant basis but he has certainly done his job.
Considering Moreau is going to be playing less than 100% for the remainder of the season because of a torn pectoral muscle.

01-06-2004, 07:02 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Um... not to be a boar or anything... but why would you want him to be more subjective?

I think you've used the wrong term here. It gives the complete opposite meaning. Objectivity is the word you're looking for methinks. :p

Old
01-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
One question (won't even touch on the gradings):
When did we draft, trade for, or sign this "Anatoli" Semenov.

6th round, 120 overall in 1989. :p
Looks like his name is on the Stanley Cup, too (1990 playoffs).
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=4873

Old
01-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Hemsky4PM

Hemsky a C-? I think he's been a B-.

He's way ahead of last year's pace. It's tougher in your second year because the rest of the league knows about you and teams key on you. His year should be based in comparison to the whole of last season and not just his 17 game stretch at the end.

For a second year 20 year old he's doing just fine. He needs to learn the little things like when to ice the puck to relieve pressure in the defensive zone. One thing he's doing more of recently is shooting.

On a lot of call-in shows I've heard grumblings from people that they are disappointed with Hemmer. Let's not Poti/Arnott/Satan this guy because he's not getting a point per game!

Old
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Moreau should be a B+
Reasoner should be B+ (while he was playing)
Staios should be at least a B/B+
Conklin should be a B
York deserves an A
Dvorak deserves a B
Chimera and Horcoff's recent play deserves at least a C/C+

well, actually it just appears that you're a hard person to please. No problem with that. The only major discrepancy in your assessment is Moreau who has just been playing balls out every game. Deserves every bit of his extention.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
The Rage

I can understand that you might have a difference in opinion HotToddy, but you're way off on Moreau. On nights the whole team sucked, he was the only guy who gave a s*** and was working his butt off. He's a great leader, and when RPM is put back together, he'll be an important cog of our best line. Seems to me you just have sour grapes over Todd Marchant.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:24 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Moreau should be a B+
Conklin should be a B
York deserves an A
Dvorak deserves a B

well, actually it just appears that you're a hard person to please. No problem with that. The only major discrepancy in your assessment is Moreau who has just been playing balls out every game. Deserves every bit of his extention.
And you deserve an A+. That was dead on, with Hemsky probably sitting at a B- now, on the verge of being an A+++.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Considering Moreau is going to be playing less than 100% for the remainder of the season because of a torn pectoral muscle.
I realize that.. even if he's only playing at 80% however, he is still giving 100% effort

Old
01-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I realize that.. even if he's only playing at 80% however, he is still giving 100% effort
Actually that's the point I was trying to make.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:47 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Moreau should be a B+
Conklin should be a B
York deserves an A
Dvorak deserves a B

I'm sorry but I just don't see a team sitting last in their division and 12th in the conference having many "B" players. It seems most people disagree with the Moreau rating. He works his arse off, fine I'll grant you that, but what does it accomplish at the end of the day? He doesn't add a spark when the team is down and when was the last time Moreau went on a scoring terror? The answer is never becasue I don't think he's ever gotten more than 31 points in his career. At least with Grier you got his 7 goals one year and 20 goals the next cycle and nights where he hit everything.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm sorry but I just don't see a team sitting last in their division and 12th in the conference having many "B" players. It seems most people disagree with the Moreau rating. He works his arse off, fine I'll grant you that, but what does it accomplish at the end of the day? He doesn't add a spark when the team is down and when was the last time Moreau went on a scoring terror? The answer is never becasue I don't think he's ever gotten more than 31 points in his career. At least with Grier you got his 7 goals one year and 20 goals the next cycle and nights where he hit everything.
You're just pissed off because you favourite Marchant isn't here. Let it go. This team has A's and B's on the team. The team is better than a last place team and you got to let go of your hatred for the team just because Marchant left as a free agent. Simple as that. LET IT GO!

Old
01-06-2004, 09:57 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Nope, no 'A' players so far this year, I don't think any of them deserve that grade. It's like if you play really well in a 2-1 loss, you still can't really justify saying someone played amazing unless it's absolutely off the charts like a goalie making 49 saves or something. And no one on this team is off the charts. York's playing well, in fact very close to what he should be able to do, but not quite.

If Mike Comrie's on this team, I think we have a very different situation with a few A's around on the forward lines. Seriously, this guy was ready to go this year out of the gate, he coulda made those top 2 lines so much better and really got some others going. How you alienate a guy who went and worked that hard in the off-season and looked so ready for this one is beyond me.
(flaming this part of the post will be taken as cliche, and responded to in harshly sarcastic fashion, you have been warned )

Old
01-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Nope, no 'A' players so far this year, I don't think any of them deserve that grade. It's like if you play really well in a 2-1 loss, you still can't really justify saying someone played amazing unless it's absolutely off the charts like a goalie making 49 saves or something. And no one on this team is off the charts. York's playing well, in fact very close to what he should be able to do, but not quite.

If Mike Comrie's on this team, I think we have a very different situation with a few A's around on the forward lines. Seriously, this guy was ready to go this year out of the gate, he coulda made those top 2 lines so much better and really got some others going. How you alienate a guy who went and worked that hard in the off-season and looked so ready for this one is beyond me.
(flaming this part of the post will be taken as cliche, and responded to in harshly sarcastic fashion, you have been warned )
The Hockey News gives grade each year and last year I don't think the Oilers had one 'D' of 'F'.

Is it just me or is Comrie now overrated since he's been traded to Philadelphia. It sure seems like that.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Yeah, well ... shut up!
Beat that, smart guy.

Seriously, though, I don't think too many people disagree that Comrie's presence could have helped the team, but who alienated who, how, and why are certainly debatable.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Yeah, well ... shut up!
Beat that, smart guy. .
Now THAT is what I'm talkin about, you stole that one from me didn't you?

That's how it's done!

Old
01-07-2004, 05:16 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
gotta agree with LMHF#1 there are no A's on this team so far. I also gotta partly agree with HotToddy's thinking of Moreau not being a spark when the chips are down but that doesn't mean that he should be a D as scoring is not his role. If that was the case then how is Smyth C, by that logic and by what Smyth is capable of he should be ranked F. Personal grudges asides that doesn't make sense to me. Reasoner I feel you have graded low reason being is give both Moreau and Pisani two grades each, one while they were playing with Reasoner and one without and you'll notice the difference that Reasoner brought to that line.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:07 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Well of course no one would expect Moreau to get more than 30 points a year. His role has always been a checker/sparkplug who occasionally contributes points. If he can do what he does now and add 50-60 points a year, he wouldn't be an Oiler now as he probably would've priced himself out of Edmonton like Marchant.

There was a stretch of four or five games during the Oiler's slump where Moreau would consistently try to fire up the team by crashing at the goalie and causing trouble in front of the net. Heck, I've seen opposing goalies get so agitated with him that they'd try and slash him everytime he got near the crease. That really impressed me. Just because his fellow teammates were too lazy to follow his lead doesn't mean he wasn't doing his job. I think he's been playing his role exceptionally and that itself deserves a high grade.

Closed Thread