HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Comrie

How on EARTH did Mike Comrie become the latest whipping boy?

Did he bring it on himself, or did we get ahead of ourselves and project greatness on him when it wasn't warranted.

Let's go back to 1999, and draft day. Comrie was rated 34th NA by CSB, and 56th by the Hockey News. He was projected to be a late second rounder.

Here's what Kevin Prendergast said before the draft about Mike Comrie: The knock on him is his size and every team has to sit down and look at it. Can he overcome it? But one thing you have to remember is there are going to be 30 teams in the NHL in two years and skill players are hard to find. What you've got to remember with Mike is he's only an 18 year old playing against men. He has competitiveness, he is strong for his size, great with the puck, has great vision and knows where everybody is at all times on the ice. Prendergast then suggested Comrie would go anywhere from 25th to 45th overall.

He went 91st.

In the winter of 1999, Comrie got booted from the national junior team. It came as a shock. Kevin Prendergast: Certainly we're disappointed because our scouts told us they thought he was one of the best players at the camp. This is coming from scouts who have never seen him play before. We sent our pro scouts to have a look at him, so from that standpoint we're very disappointed. I get the impression that we got shafted. That's what I think. Prendergast implied that the National Team had an agreement to place Mike Ribiero on the team as a favor to the Montreal Canadiens.

Comrie:I was one of the leading scorers, but I guess that doesn't always help. They told me they wanted me to work on my defensive play last year and I think I was only on for one goal against the whole week. It's disappointing.

Team Canada Head Coach Claude Julien: Mike Comrie did everything he had to do to be on this team. The only reason he's not is because we didn't have room."

Was Prendergast right? Was this a screw job? Or was it true that Mike Comrie didn't belong on the team?

Comrie went back and continued his sophomore season with Michigan, and was exceptional (40gp, 24-35-59). The Hockey News rated him as the 4th best Oilers prospect in the summer of 2000 (behind Rita, Semenov and Henrich), and stated that he could win the Hobey Baker award in his junior year.

It never happened. Comrie came to the Oilers camp in the fall of 2000 and impressed the hell out of everyone. On a club that was having a long look at several prospects at forward (Michel Riesen, Shawn Horcoff and Jason Chimera to be certain), Comrie was outstanding.

The Oilers signed Horcoff, kept Riesen and watched as Comrie made a decision to take advantage of the Mike VanRyn rule and force the Oilers hand: unless he was signed quickly, the Oilers would lose his rights.

Comrie started the fall of 2000 playing for the Kootenay Ice, and scored at a a rapid clip. Lowe relented, gave in and signed Comrie to an incentive laden contract.

The Comrie deal was extremely dangerous for Lowe, because as a young GM he had to decide if the kid was worth it: the incentives at least ensured that the money would come only after some success.

Comrie played well in his first half season, although not as well as Doug Weight would have with the same linemates. He scored a monster goal against Dallas in the playoffs (the OT goal) and the Skyreach rafters were rocking. The kid might have been small, but he had talent.

01-02 may well go down as Mike Comrie's finest season. 33-27-60, and many of those goals were HUGE. The guy became a big game scorer, even at the tender age of 21.

02-03 was the other side of the coin. Although he (barely) qualified for what now seemed like a ridiculous bonus, Comrie was injured and when he came back was ineffective.

A poor playoff performance didn't help matters.

Now Comrie is at something of a crossroads. The Smyth signing really backs him into a corner. Whether or not there are bonus clauses in Smyth's contract is immaterial, the Oiler fanbase knows that Smyth avoided arbitration and is back in the fold.

So here's my question to you: IS Mike Comrie an up and coming talent, with his best years ahead of him? or is he a terribly flawed small player whose offensive abilities are outranked by maturity problems, indifferent defense and greed?

Or is he somewhere in between.

Old
08-14-2003, 05:12 PM
MrMackey

You asked two questions here.

My answer to your second question (is he an up and coming talent?):
IMHO, I would definitely say yes. Although he had a rough ride after his injury and I cringed everytime he stepped out on the ice, I think it is adversity that he will overcome. He definitely has talent, and I think he has tonnes of drive despite what some say... I still don't know if he'll ever be a 90-100 point player, even though the potential might be there.

To answer your first question (why has he become the whipping boy?):
Again, I can only speak for myself, but I've had the opportunity to meet MC a few times through mutual family friends, and each time he hasn't made a positive impression. He seems to have a rich-kid, I'm-better-than-you attitude and will look right past you even in introductions (I don't know that he'd recognize my face, let alone my name even after meeting him three times). This is fine, and my personal experiences have nothing to do with the common fan's perceptions, but I do think that this type of attitude is apparant on the ice, and in interviews, etc.

I remember when Carter started the season on the second line, and Hemsky started with Smyth and Comrie. Just watching Comrie and his body language, anyone could plainly see that he did not want Hemsky lining up beside him (some of my friends had noticed this as well)... he came across as a bit of a cry baby.

On the other hand, I've also met guys like Smyth, Weight, and Laraque and these are great people. Even just taking the time to look you in the eye and shake your hand will make you pull for them no matter how bad they under-perform on the ice (well, almost!).

Old
08-14-2003, 05:13 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Now Comrie is at something of a crossroads. The Smyth signing really backs him into a corner. Whether or not there are bonus clauses in Smyth's contract is immaterial, the Oiler fanbase knows that Smyth avoided arbitration and is back in the fold.

So here's my question to you: IS Mike Comrie an up and coming talent, with his best years ahead of him? or is he a terribly flawed small player whose offensive abilities are outranked by maturity problems, indifferent defense and greed?

Well... Mike Comrie can have a little of both. He can still be at times immature as a hockey player because he is only 23 years old. His best years are certainly ahead of him as he begins to mature. There are plenty of skilled young players that don't pay enough attention to their own end. The only way that gets alleviated is through practice and maturity on the ice. You can't that without time and experience.

So.. Comrie is indeed a gifted player though small. His best years should certainly be ahead of him... Perhaps it might not show in the stats, but it will definitely show in his overall game. Indifferent defense can also be handled as time progresses.

So the only real question here is how greedy is Mike Comrie? It's not a question that is easily answerable at this moment in time. We'll have to see how much he is asking for in his contract talks... and how much he finally signs for. Only then will we be better able to guage where his "greed level" is at.

Comrie is certainly an up and coming player... but Lowe cannot afford to break the proverbial bank here. If his demands are totally unreasonable, then I think we all have to be aware that he might get traded. If his demands are not and he is signed before training camp... these topics will end and life will go on. Time is the best evaluator.

Old
08-14-2003, 05:18 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:

Somewhere in between, leaning a lot more to "an up and coming talent, with his best years ahead of him". He is young, so "maturity problems" will go away with time. His (lack of) defense was magnified by his lack of offence after being injured. And "greed", I don't have an informed comment on.

I think with Smyth signing, Comrie may take another look at his priorities. (whatever they might be) Let's hope that being an Oiler is one of them.

Old
08-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:

Did he bring it on himself, or did we get ahead of ourselves and project greatness on him when it wasn't warranted.
That's it right there. I bet most people weren't expecting Comrie to do half as well as he did in his 2nd season, and now because he has people are expecting far too much from someone his age, especially after getting his first real injury.

Old
08-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I'm always worries when a player is hyped so much in the media, especially in a case, like Comrie's, before he's played a single NHL game.

In the early 90's I think there was a problem with Bill Ranford. When Billy first took over from Fuhr he was stellar and deserved all the glory press he was getting. He led the team to their last cup and didn't he also have a good Canada Cup or something too? Anyway, eventually the Oilers got so bad that the press clippings after games always atarted to sound like this to me: "The Oilers suck, thank God for Bill Ranford or things would be even worse!". I think after awhile it got to Billy and his head got too big. I really can't blame him... you guys praise me so much that I need to drive a convertible soon! BUt I think with an inflammed ego... attitude goes down.

I worry about this for Mike Comrie. I don't know if it's at that point, I've never met the guy. BUt I also worry about Eric Brewer too, and I think we should have some concern for Hemsky.

I say just let them play and stop putting so much pressure on them. I think the hype can do more harm than anyting else.

You know what, I had a clear and valid point in my head when I started typing... and somewhere it got lost I think. If this ended up not making sense... I blame Hanna, AB.

Old
08-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I'm always worries when a player is hyped so much in the media, especially in a case, like Comrie's, before he's played a single NHL game.

In the early 90's I think there was a problem with Bill Ranford. When Billy first took over from Fuhr he was stellar and deserved all the glory press he was getting. He led the team to their last cup and didn't he also have a good Canada Cup or something too? Anyway, eventually the Oilers got so bad that the press clippings after games always atarted to sound like this to me: "The Oilers suck, thank God for Bill Ranford or things would be even worse!". I think after awhile it got to Billy and his head got too big. I really can't blame him... you guys praise me so much that I need to drive a convertible soon! BUt I think with an inflammed ego... attitude goes down.

I worry about this for Mike Comrie. I don't know if it's at that point, I've never met the guy. BUt I also worry about Eric Brewer too, and I think we should have some concern for Hemsky.

I say just let them play and stop putting so much pressure on them. I think the hype can do more harm than anyting else.

You know what, I had a clear and valid point in my head when I started typing... and somewhere it got lost I think. If this ended up not making sense... I blame Hanna, AB.
Well certainly part of this has to be that the Oilers have been waiting for an impact scorer forever, and in that context Comrie (and soon Hemsky) will get alot more attention. I wonder too about this being his home town, when he struggles it must be hard to get away from things, and when he's going well he must feel like a king. He'll be a manic depressive soon.

I agree with your point about letting him play. However, if his agent has a brain cell left Comrie gets this deal done post haste.

btw, any rocking Hanna stories? Partying late night with Nickelback? Garden raids? Playing chicken with combines?

Old
08-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Reload

Mike Comries a good talent, maybe a little to overhyper though. I think he has some good years ahead of him but i don't think he'll pass the 80 point plateau, probably staying between 40-70 points his whole career. I think his size is a factor, but not the biggest factor. He is still a skilled player and if he gets the job done then I don't care how tall he is or how much he weighs.

Old
08-14-2003, 06:06 PM
homer

I think Comrie's best years are ahead of him.

Yes, there are maturity issues, but I think those can be rectified in time. Didn't Brendan Shanahan always fight as a young player until he realized he was too valuable to be spending 5,10 minutes a night in the box? This is a different situation, but like Shanahan matured, I think Comrie will eventually too.

He's a treat to watch, a little fiery speedball with great hands, hockey vision, deft stickhandling and a deadly shot. He's an elusive skater and willing to bump and grind, which is a nice quantity for such a skilled player and especially for such a small player.

I think as long as the Oilers handle him carefully and develop him right, he'll one day be a top player in this league. He's already one of it's most exciting young stars, and he's just 23.

Old
08-14-2003, 07:24 PM
oilswell

Quote:
How on EARTH did Mike Comrie become the latest whipping boy?
I figure it's pretty simple: 33 goals, many clutch, and then next year 20 goals with clearly suspect play.

It is, argubaly, a little foolish to demand a young MC to follow up a stellar 33 goal 60 point season with consistently better seasons. Foolish or not, people do it. If he did it last year, why not this year? He clearly has quite a bit of capability and talent, so fans zero in on his faults (eg. fancy play, defensive liability) and complain about negative intangibles (eg. ego, trade requests).

This is human nature. No, correct that: fan nature. So long as he appears to underperform, he'll draw the fire of fans, many of whom constantly hold arrows at the ready.

Quote:
Possibly neither. Greatness may yet be firmly attached to Comrie, but the process of binding the two may not be straightforward, and if Comrie's attachment to greatness is tenuous at times, the fan relationship could certainly be strained.

Quote:
Let's go back to 1999, and draft day....
I adore your history lessons lowetide, but in this case I don't believe it matters one whit if he was an undrafted, blind, one-armed waterboy who won his roster spot when he was sent to warm up Salo and put all the pucks in the net. What matters is the facts from 2001-02: 33 goals, 60 points, clutch scoring, hilight reel goals. If he did it as a 21 year old, the expectation is for better from a 23 year old. If he scores 35-38-73 next year, somehow his small size, average skating, wimpy shot, cocky attitude, and unforgivable wealth will be forgotten. If he scores 20-25-45, those qualities will be brought up daily. That's brutal, but about what we can expect from a fanbase. Forgive us, O' lowetide for our human frailties.

Quote:

Both. A very very good, but flawed talent. Not surprising, really, as most players are a flawed combination.

Old
08-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
btw, any rocking Hanna stories? Partying late night with Nickelback? Garden raids? Playing chicken with combines?

As a matter of fact... no. Hanna was pretty laid back. No Tim Horton's this morning... and Drumheller didn't have one either... double bad day for me!

Old
08-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:

Nice piece LT and as others have said - thanks for the history.

Mike Comrie is the difficult child of the Oiler family. He is obviously both talented and VERY cocky. This attitude probably served a purpose in helping him overcome his physical limitations - but it does not endear him to fans or the team. So when things are going well - nobody says much. But when he's not performing - the knives come out.

As far as the maturity issues go - MC has led a pampered and incredibly well paid existence and you are NOT a kid at 23. Young men have had to face real hardships at a far younger age than the burdens poor MC has had to carry - excuse me for not feeling his pain.

I guess my point is that we have another small top 6 player on the team (Mike York) who pretty much gives us all the offense MC provides. York is also more flexible, better defensively, a better leader, doesn't have maturity issues, and signed a contract that showed his commitment to the program last summer. Given this - I don' think that MC is worth the trouble and I would be perfectly happy to let someone else deal with his maturity issues.

Comrie for Blackburn straight up - I'd do it in a heartbeat and MC could take his act to a stage that better suits the size of his ego.

Old
08-15-2003, 12:14 AM
igor*

I'm leaning mostly towards 'up and coming talent'. And the questions about his character will evaporate pretty quickly If he plays well next season. And I think he will.

I think the main problem is not so much Comrie, as it is the fan's relationship with him.

Last year his crap didn't stink. Oiler fans were in love with him ... much more than it made sense to be. He was a skilled player, an entertaining player, but with some weaknesses in his game.

I still remember starting a thread here that pointed out some of these things. That he was on the ice for a lot of goals against, that everyone seems to forget that he was on the ice for the first couple of goals-against if he scores the winner. That his performance against stronger competition (stronger teams) was very, very poor relative to his teammates. [This was based on 38 of the 82 games ... and the concensus here was that it was a statistical anomoly ?!??! ]. Nobody wanted to hear it, nobody could counter logically ... but no-one could bring themselves to face facts. The love for Mike was too strong ... and common sense was on holiday.

Skip to this past season ...
I think Comrie was doing really well in the first half of this season, aside from a rough patch around Christmas. And he was taking on a lot more responsibities. MacT had him out in the dying moments of games while defending a lead, and he had him taking key draws, sometimes matching him up against the other teams top lines on home ice, etc. And all things considered I thought 89 was really doing well and becoming a better player.

But when Comrie came back from injury and was playing poorly, seeming to lose his defensive work ethic, and chasing down a multi-million dollar bonus at the same time. It got the backs up of a lot of fans. And this can be a rough town to be an athlete when the fans start turning.

Bottom line --- he's got loads of talent, a good work ethic, and plenty of room to improve aspects of his game. Comrie's best years are definitely ahead of him IMO. Hopefully they are as an Oiler.

Old
08-15-2003, 04:06 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Forgive us, O' lowetide for our human frailties.
Not for me to forgive, I'm right in there judging along with you.

The reason for me posting this is that there is a strong indication through Comrie's history that even hockey people are divided on him.

Comrie had a fabulous AJHL career, and a solid season at Michigan before the draft. Lundmark went 85 spots (or some such) higher.

Comrie had a fine junior camp, and was sent home.

The first contract and possible holdout aside, these are things that could be indicators of future struggles.

Comrie's positives (soft hands, pure goal scorer) are offset by maturity and size, and even hockey people are divided on him imo.

He went 91st in his draft year, and that may mean nothing to you, but there's something there that caused him to slide, just like there was with Patrick O'sullivan this summer.

All things being equal, Oilers fans should be gushing over the first sniper to appear through the system since Miro Satan.

We're not.

Old
08-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Asiaoil

Iím really trying to be positive about the Comrie situation Ė but I find it hard to be. A lot of signs point to MC not being much of a team player Ė and that's been very much reinforced by his background and the way he was broken into the Oilers org. How many other rookie centers are given a teams top wingers 20 games into their careers? I bet if Lowe and MacT had the opportunity to do it all over Ė they wouldnít go that route again. Lowetide also pointed out a number of other things in MCs past that suggest heís not exactly loved by some people in the game. But hey Ė as long as the goals are going in Ė any negative views are easily ignored as igor pointed out. But when the goals stop going in Ė the warts are there for all to see and talk about. It really became clear to me when MC came back from his injury. The kid had a choice given his messed up hand - change his style so that he didn't hurt the team while he's out there - or say the hell with the team I want my bonuses. We all know what happened.

There is more to being a leader and a winner than putting up points Ė and this is something MC has to learn. The problem is some people never get it or get it way way too late to make any difference. I have a feeling that MC is not going to understand this part of the game and Iím much less inclined to say oh well heís young etc etc. Lots of guys younger than MC provide far better leadership on their teams or at least seem to understand itís importance.

I see MC eventually wearing out his welcome in Edmonton and spending the bulk of his career as the main man on non-contenders and also-rans (big fish in the little pond syndrome). Kind of similar to the fates of Ronning and Whitney who are also small guys with good skills. Hey if he transforms into Steve Yzerman this summer thatís wonderful Ė but there's nothing in his history to suggest that he will be anything more than a guy who is appreciated for his offensive capabilities and little else. Iím not happy about that Ė just kind of resigned to the inevitability of it all given what Iíve seen over the past three seasons.

Old
08-15-2003, 05:48 AM
Belcriss

vCash:
[QUOTE=lowetide]How on EARTH did Mike Comrie become the latest whipping boy?

I agree he didn't have the strongest year last year, but our depth at center right now is already bad. We played Carter on wing, but he was a center. Weight and Marchant are gone also, so essentially we have lost three centers in three years. The knock on the Oilers right now is that were very small down the middle. Reasoner, Comrie and York are all diminutive guys in the NHL. Lowe has made it no secret he wants to get bigger, faster, and a more skill team. York, Reasoner and Comrie are all guys with speed, and skill to varying levels. I wish the Oilers could get bigger down the middle, but, that said, at what cost?
We can't afford a big name player down the middle, nor would I want one. Unless Stoll, or someone new can crack the lineup, were going to have all small centers this year. Is this a bad thing? Not if York and Comrie play to expectations, and Reasoner continues to develope at the same rate he did last season. Its very premature at this trade any of them, or to give up on any of them.
IMO, Comrie is going to be a superstar in this league. He is going to score fifty goals yet one season, and he best be in copper and blue when he does it!

Old
08-15-2003, 06:45 AM
LawnDemon

as always, a quality post lowetide.

my answer is: mike comrie is both. He is an up and coming talent in this league and a selfish little runt.

There are a number of very good points brought up in this thread. The general summary Iím getting from all of you is this: comrie may be selfish and immature but as long as he scores then who cares?

I think thatís the wrong approach. We should care about his attitude and defensive play no matter how much he scores. The oilers will succeed as a team or fail as individuals. Itís that simple. Anyone (and I mean ANYONE) who doesnít play for the team can play somewhere else as far as Iím concerned.

is it worth it to have a jerk score 30 or 40 and screw up the Oilers chemistry? Especially when said jerk could be moved for an equivalent impact player with more ďoilerĒ character?

Yes comrie will be an above average player in this league. Thatís undeniable. But if the oilers can move him for a different above average player that fits the system better then why is that such a bad thing? My opinion is that he will score 80 points someday but that he will never win a cup. See Jeremy Roenick and Keith Tkatchuk for more information on talented jerks and what they bring to an organization. The oilers donít need that crap.

Old
08-15-2003, 08:20 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil

As far as the maturity issues go - MC has led a pampered and incredibly well paid existence and you are NOT a kid at 23. Young men have had to face real hardships at a far younger age than the burdens poor MC has had to carry - excuse me for not feeling his pain.

I guess my point is that we have another small top 6 player on the team (Mike York) who pretty much gives us all the offense MC provides. York is also more flexible, better defensively, a better leader, doesn't have maturity issues, and signed a contract that showed his commitment to the program last summer. Given this - I don' think that MC is worth the trouble and I would be perfectly happy to let someone else deal with his maturity issues.

Comrie for Blackburn straight up - I'd do it in a heartbeat and MC could take his act to a stage that better suits the size of his ego.
Great post.....that section pretty much sums up my feeling also.

People have the attitude that if he scores.....who cares about the rest. But then again, wasn't Selinanov he putting alot of pucks in? Wasn't he also brutal defensively? Didn't he have a brutal team concept? Where he now? Who cares.

Difference is is that Comrie is a "good ol alberta/edmonton boy", so people cut more slack. It's very important to alot of Oiler fans that we cram as many local boys on this team as possible......at the expense of overlooking flaws that normally come into question or are just plain not tolerated usually.

I've heard several second hand stories about Comries ego and attitude, some which I've decided to not put on here. I got alot of flak (and I mean ALOT!)last season for bringing up that fight him and MacT had in the Anaheim dressing room late last season right before the Carter trade. So I'm keeping my trap shut on second hand stories now. And yes, I've heard more.

But I always feel....where there's smoke......there's usually fire.

Old
08-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Difference is is that Comrie is a "good ol alberta/edmonton boy", so people cut more slack. It's very important to alot of Oiler fans that we cram as many local boys on this team as possible......at the expense of overlooking flaws that normally come into question or are just plain not tolerated usually.
I don't cut Comrie slack because he's an Alberta boy. I cut him slack simply because he's young and stupid. A lot of kids enter the league young and stupid. Many of them eventually mature and develop both as men and as players. One example was Jason Arnott who we (oiler fans) drove out of town. Later on, when he was playing for NJ, I remember an interview with him where he espoused team success and seemed much much more mature. I believe a players maturity is also effected by role models, and leadership. I like how Peca has brought in some level of accountability to the Islanders dressing room. I was hoping that Messier might come drop by for his last year and teach some accountability to that young punk but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Old
08-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
We should care about his attitude and defensive play no matter how much he scores. The oilers will succeed as a team or fail as individuals. Itís that simple. Anyone (and I mean ANYONE) who doesnít play for the team can play somewhere else as far as Iím concerned.[/b].
Good point. Also, we've seen several incidents in the last two years where Comrie takes a check or a slash and then goes a little apedoodle, and ends up costing the team. I'm thinking specifically of a Colorado situation, but there were others.

Old
08-15-2003, 09:32 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

I've heard several second hand stories about Comries ego and attitude, some which I've decided to not put on here. I got alot of flak (and I mean ALOT!)last season for bringing up that fight him and MacT had in the Anaheim dressing room late last season right before the Carter trade. So I'm keeping my trap shut on second hand stories now. And yes, I've heard more.

But I always feel....where there's smoke......there's usually fire.

I know I'm completely pro-Horcoff, but the development of these two players is like watching kids grow up. Comrie was the favored child and has some growing up to do. Horcoff has learned the subtle side, and now there may be some offense that hasn't been uncovered yet.

imo Comrie has produced at such a high level that trading him would be a last resort.

Having said that, what do you do when he's 25 and doing this stuff?

Old
08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Slats432

I agree with the up and comer and selfish punk.(One wonders if he is working on his post Oiler career on Broadway a little prematurely. )

Comrie has to understand the fan base in Edmonton when he makes his off ice decisions. His heavy handedness by utilizing the switch to junior to get a contract. His coming back early from injury to accrue financial bonuses rendered him useless in the playoffs for which he doesn't receive monetary compensation.

Let us agree on one thing for certain...Edmonton has the most intelligent hockey fans on the planet. There are no blankets to pull over our eyes, there is not one single iota of hockey, the business of hockey, and the rules of hockey that we don't understand.

Mike Comrie as I have said before should be put on notice that a reasonable contract and a good season are his only salvation in this city.

I am sure the rest of the fan base agrees with me that last season is forgotten as soon as he signs and has the season we know he is capable of.

A hold-out? Grinding Lowe for another overpaid contract? Trade demands? Lackluster on ice performance?

Again...the fans are intelligent and reasonable. It is a pattern of behaviour that we want to avoid here. I am not going to whip him...I am going to tell him that there is writing on the wall that indicates things that the fan base won't put up with. Either you recognize these things that are written on the wall or you chance that they will turn on you in a Tom Poti to New York minute.

Old
08-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Hemsky4PM

I'm not sure Comrie is a whipping boy. I think every fan recognizes that he is a superior talent, but...

He is small, and that IS a factor. He doesn't play the same type of edgy game as Fleury, he doesn't have the speed of Sullivan or Straka. He tends to over-handle the puck, but that has a lot to do with experience. He is VERY good in close. His 30 goal season is a prime example, many of those came from inside 8 feet of the net, in that regard his size helps him slip through holes in tight. His size, however, makes him virtually useless on the wall and he can't keep control long enough to help the cycle.

Why trade him?
1. He is a valuable commodity. He would be an excellent 2nd line centre for most teams in the league. A guy that can get you 60-70 points, play on the PP and to an extent entertain your fans with some individual plays.

2. Maybe he wants too much money. The Oilers were forced to dole out over 7 Million US for 2 1/2 seasons from him. He used his UFA status to leverage the Oil and they are using his GRPII status this time around. Maybe he is refusing to play for anything less than 2 Million a season base salary. Realistically, he's a guy that put up over 50pts the last two years and over 50 goals in those two seasons. Based on the market he probably should get around 2mill. The oil won't do it because they've already made 'an advanced' payment on him.

3. Maybe Comrie is sick of being in Edmonton. A move to Detroit, Philly, LA, SJ, or elsewhere would be exiting for a young guy like him. Being close to family and freinds is a bigger priority when you're tied down (married, with children, relatives aging, ect). He's not and maybe wants to see the world beyond E-town.

4. It's been proven that anything that will help the team, Lowe will consider and often do.

So if we can get a reasonably priced, young, strong, reliable center with some offensive upside it might make sense to deal MC.

Old
08-15-2003, 12:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
But when the goals stop going in Ė the warts are there for all to see and talk about. It really became clear to me when MC came back from his injury. The kid had a choice given his messed up hand - change his style so that he didn't hurt the team while he's out there - or say the hell with the team I want my bonuses. We all know what happened.
No... we don't all know.

Please enlighten us as to exactly what happened?

Once again, that is plain horse crap... Comrie comes back early and he is greedy, any other NHL players does it and he is a hero.

I guarantee that everyone would be complaining if Mike sat out longer last year and made the playoffs... gutless and heartless would be words that are tossed about.

Guys... young players tend to need to learn. Last year was a learning experience for Mike Comrie. Hopefully he learned that when the puck isn't going in for your, you need to do better in your own end, as opposed to expending more energy in the offensive end.

Comrie is no worse off than other young up and coming players like Kovalchuk, Brendl, etc... All of them are learning the game as they go. Some will learn this game faster than others. Some have more pressure on them than others.

To rag him out after a bad 28 games is ridiculous. If he learned from it, and is better because of it, then it is better in the long run... at least let him prove that he is better because of it before we all crucify him and then set the cross on fire!

He has already accepted responsibility for a bad playoffs... that is huge. He could have blamed it on his hand, but he didn't. That is a tremendous step, especially for a younger player.

Old
08-15-2003, 12:43 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
To rag him out after a bad 28 games is ridiculous. If he learned from it, and is better because of it, then it is better in the long run... at least let him prove that he is better because of it before we all crucify him and then set the cross on fire!

He has already accepted responsibility for a bad playoffs... that is huge. He could have blamed it on his hand, but he didn't. That is a tremendous step, especially for a younger player.
I agree. We should wait to see how he performs this season before judging if he has actually learned anything from this ordeal.

However, if he holds out on us... we might not get to see this come to fruition at all.

Closed Thread