HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
Unfortunately, no matter how much he improves how he thinks the game and learns the little details, he will always be small and that won't change. Not saying he's bad or that he won't get better, he just won't get bigger.

Old
08-15-2003, 01:34 PM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Let us agree on one thing for certain...Edmonton has the most intelligent hockey fans on the planet. There are no blankets to pull over our eyes, there is not one single iota of hockey, the business of hockey, and the rules of hockey that we don't understand.
Potentially the most outrageous comment I've ever read on a message board on the internet, narrowly topping the description/pictures of a Tijuana donkey show.

Edmonton fans (and I'm one of them) tend to be overwhelmingly pro-management and have the shortest memories in hockey. Its what have you done for me in the last five minutes. I'll grant you that they can usually tell you who's making a lot of mistakes on the ice, and give you a general read of the teams level of ability-certainly much better than the fans of most other teams, but to suggest that that Edmonton fans understand every facet of the game and the business is just asinine. Edmonton fans are also absolutely brutal on young players, and seem to have an unbelievably difficult time understanding that players don't progress in a straight line-there are peaks and valleys in their development. The criticism of Comrie AFTER PLAYING WITH A CAST ON only serves to make that even more clear. Sure, lots of people are saying "Oh, I've thought this for a while," but it's the exact same thing as Mario Annichiaricco publishing an article in the Sun last year two weeks into the season, announcing his prediction that the Oilers would make the playoffs, that Dopita would suck, and that Hemsky wasn't good enough. If you think it, say it when the guy's going good. Edmonton fans are the hockey equivalent of editorial writers, coming down from the hills to shoot the wounded after the battle.

There are a couple of posters on here with a reasonable grasp of the CBA-most of the others are just shooting in the dark when they make comments on it. I don't know how many times I've seen comments where people have talked about how the 10% raise that the Oilers have to give some player who is making more than the league average (hint: they don't), or talked about players and what their salaries should be, while comparing them to players who aren't comparable-I'm waiting for someone to say that Comrie should take 600K since he's half the player that Paul Kariya is.

As for Comrie, I've said it before and I'll say it again. 21 year olds don't score huge goals and carry teams to the cusp of the playoffs without being special talents. As for him having a chip on his shoulder, having a fight with MacT after a game etc etc-who cares? He plays the game with passion, and sometimes passionate people get angry with others. This is a guy who doesn't need hockey to be wealthy, yet has something inside him that drives him to play. You certainly can't compare him to guys like Selivanov or Kovalenko, who showed up if and when they felt like it.

I'm saying it now, when its not the popular thing to say-Mike Comrie will have a monster season, and play a huge role in getting this team to the playoffs.

Old
08-15-2003, 01:54 PM
LDB

He wont grow any taller, but it doesnt mean he cant get bigger (muscle-wise). If he can gain strengh and quickness, that could very well make a difference. Sounds like the training program he's in now is supposed to do just that.

What Comrie really needs is some competition. If he lacks humility, then someone has to teach it to him. As long as he thinks he's the top dog, then he's gonna act like it. Edmonton really needs another centerman to step up and compete for the first line job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Unfortunately, no matter how much he improves how he thinks the game and learns the little details, he will always be small and that won't change. Not saying he's bad or that he won't get better, he just won't get bigger.

Old
08-15-2003, 02:45 PM
future consideration

Great post Mudcrutch.

I seriously don't get some of you guys here. You want to trade Comrie cause:
1. Most of you think he's selfish and has character problems
2. He's not great defensively.

Defense can be taught and improved on, goal scoring and hockey sense can't.

Is Comrie selfish sometimes with the puck and makes too many moves? Yes, but that also can be corrected by good coaching and hard work. Also Comrie is only 23, cut him some slack with maybe being a little immature. He's young and never had a tough season like that before. Hopefully he learned from it and can become a better player from it. You also got to look at it from his view a little. I mean if your general manager basically puts alot of the blame on you for losing in the playoffs and not really anyone else who also deserved blame (cough York,Smyth cough) you may be a little bit put off too.

And too the point the Comrie came back early from injury just so he could try to get some bounses, do any of you have any proof?? And what about York coming back early and sucking? He was just all heart and Comrie was all greed right?

Old
08-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
I'm saying it now, when its not the popular thing to say-Mike Comrie will have a monster season, and play a huge role in getting this team to the playoffs.

I don't think there's a poster on this board who would disagree that:

1. if Comrie signs without holding out

2. comes to camp in the shape he's rumoured to be in (LA daily workouts must be good, they worked for Horcoff)

3. He'll put up impressive numbers. He's a quality NHL goal scorer.

Old
08-15-2003, 03:13 PM
zamboni

I have a feeling that Comrie will be signed very soon. I doubt Lowe's comments in the paper (about not overpaying, etc) will lead to any hold out, just like what happened with Smyth (signing before arbitration). Lowe's got to be working really hard on Comrie right now with Smyth out of the way.

Old
08-15-2003, 04:02 PM
mudcrutch79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I don't think there's a poster on this board who would disagree that:

3. He'll put up impressive numbers. He's a quality NHL goal scorer.
Oh but there are people who disagree with him being a quality NHL goal scorer. I've seen posts comparing him to Ronning, posts claiming that lots of NHL players never match their rookie seasons, all sorts of stuff. Just to kind of expand on what I was saying earlier, I think he'll also be a more defensively aware player this year, as part of his progression to becoming a solid two way hockey player. I think that, in the long term, he might need to be a second line centre for Edmonton to win the Cup, but I think he can be a 35-40 goal scorer as a first line centre, and the Oilers can be very competitive.

Old
08-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Oh but there are people who disagree with him being a quality NHL goal scorer. I've seen posts comparing him to Ronning, posts claiming that lots of NHL players never match their rookie seasons, all sorts of stuff. Just to kind of expand on what I was saying earlier, I think he'll also be a more defensively aware player this year, as part of his progression to becoming a solid two way hockey player. I think that, in the long term, he might need to be a second line centre for Edmonton to win the Cup, but I think he can be a 35-40 goal scorer as a first line centre, and the Oilers can be very competitive.
I agree Ronning isn't really a good comp (he bounced around all over when he was Comrie's age), but I don't think Comrie is certain to be a 35-40 goal scorer either. In the NHL last season, how many scored 35 goals or more? 17.

1 MILAN HEJDUK COL 50
2 MARKUS NASLUND VAN 48
3 TODD BERTUZZI VAN 46
4 MARIAN HOSSA OTT 45
5 GLEN MURRAY BOS 44
6 DANY HEATLEY ATL 41
7 ILYA KOVALCHUK ATL 38
8 BRETT HULL DET 37
9 MATS SUNDIN TOR 37
10 ZIGMUND PALFFY L.A 37
11 ALEX KOVALEV NYR 37
12 SERGEI FEDOROV DET 36
13 PAVOL DEMITRA STL 36
14 JOE THORNTON BOS 36
15 OLLI JOKINEN FLA 36
16 JAROMIR JAGR WSH 36
17 JAROME IGINLA CGY 35

source: nhl.com

I don't think Comrie's in that class yet, and he's got a ways to go before he can be considered a consistent 35-40 goal man.

He IS a quality NHL goal scorer, though. The question is really about what else he can bring to the table, and what he may take away from the team.

Old
08-15-2003, 08:17 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
Defense can be taught and improved on
Tell that to Tom Poti

I really see the Poti and Comrie situations as being very similar. Both guys have shown themselves to be pretty much uncoachable to this point. MC gets flack on this board for his toe-drag crap, useless dipsy doodle moves, defensive effort and lack of passing you think MacT hasnt said anything about it? Probably EVERY DAY and MC obviously refuses to change his game. This is exactly the same behavior as Poti displayed a lack of coachability. Add on MCs attitude issues and the situation is worse IMO.

Bottom line unless MC changes his attitude and becomes more coachable and team oriented he's gone and the team will be better off as long as we get a good player in return (Id do York for Poti again any day of the week).

Old
08-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Silver

As soon as I see Comrie talking to the press and saying that he's been playing with a 12 foot long stick since he was a kid and damned if he will cut it down, I know he's gone.

Seriously though, if Comire holds out, he's gone. Remember Arnott tooling around town in a Viper? Same thing, except the difference is that Comrie has none of Arnott's physical skills.

Old
08-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Asiaoil

To me it all comes down to coachability, being willing to play a team game at the expense of some individual glory, and leadership. If Comrie shows he's able to step it up in these areas - then obviously he's a big asset to the team because of his offensive talents. Thus far, however, he has shown himself to be deficient and age is no excuse (Hemsky is far younger and seems to be way more coachable and willing to work on his weaknesses).

Like I keep saying - if Comrie reaches his potential he could be a fine second line center on any team and a top line guy on a weaker squad. Talent is only part of the equation though. Maturity, accountability and leadership are just as important - and Comrie has a TON of work to do in these areas. The number of points he got as a 21 year old is interesting but this league is littered with guys who fell far short of their potential because they couldn't get the rest of their game together.

If he changes his attitude he's a big asset - if he doesn't he's a liability irrespective of his points total - and we will find out which way it goes soon. Not being in training camp would, however, pretty much seal his fate as trade bait IMO.

Old
08-15-2003, 11:49 PM
momentai

Quote:
...but I think he can be a 35-40 goal scorer as a first line centre, and the Oilers can be very competitive.
No doubt he could do it. But he REALLY needs to work on his shot if he's going to be a consistent 30 goal scorer. Luck and good positioning can only get you so far. (Then again... look what it did for Luc's career)

Still.. he definitely needs to improve his shot.. preferably his wrist shot.

Old
08-16-2003, 07:31 AM
mudcrutch79

You kind of destroy your own case right there, mentioning Luc Robitaille. Ray Ferraro also comes to mind. The idea that Comrie's shot is somehow holding him back is ridiculous-he's scored a ton of goals without a great shot in terms of speed, and how many times do you see goalies get beaten because the shot was so hard anyway?

I'll take deception and understanding of the game over a hard shot any day.

Old
08-16-2003, 05:34 PM
momentai

Quote:
You kind of destroy your own case right there, mentioning Luc Robitaille. Ray Ferraro also comes to mind. The idea that Comrie's shot is somehow holding him back is ridiculous-he's scored a ton of goals without a great shot in terms of speed, and how many times do you see goalies get beaten because the shot was so hard anyway?

I'll take deception and understanding of the game over a hard shot any day.
Not really. I don't think I destroy my argument at all.

Thing is.. Comrie does NOT have a hard shot... but he does NOT have a deceptive one either. It's very direct and weak. More than a few of his goals come from being in the right place at the right time... either to tap in a rebound or shovel the puck into an open net.

This is certainly not indicative of ALL his goals but a majority of them come from placement on the ice. Think of how much better he could be with... A) a more powerful shot and B) being able to disguise that powerful shot.

Believe me. He would be a much better player if he could count on that shot picking a corner... If he could be that sniping center we need, our top line would look all the better.

Old
08-16-2003, 07:11 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Comrie is uncoachable!

I can't beleive the idiot isn't a completely effective 2 way player after 2 and a half seasons in the league!

Did I get that right?

I bet half of you would trade Comrie in a heartbeat for Kovalchuck... ask yourself what has he done better?

Comrie was an adequate defensive player, with the exception of a 5 game span directly after his injury where he went -8. He was a -6 the entire rest of the season, and while that is nothing to brag about, it isn't like the rest of the team was +24 or anything. He hovered around the same mark as guys like Chimera.

He finds ways to score goals... his shot may not be incredible, but Moreau had a booming shot and it never did him any good. Being in the right place at the right time is far more important that being able to hum it through the goaltender. Comrie has a pretty good ability to pick his spots, and shooting the puck exactly where he wants it to go.

So he dipsy doodles... it doesn't always work... but it doesn't not work all the time either. At least he has some creativity with the puck, and is willing to try something to make a play out of nothing. If you are expecting him to know everything in 2 and a half years, then you are unreasonable. If that is the case, pick on a guy like Moreau for continually streaking down the wing and firing a big slap shot 7 feet wide of the net, killing a rush and having the puck go back the other way in an odd man rush.

Old
08-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Silver

I'd trade Comrie for Kovalchuk. In a heartbeat. Bigger, stronger, younger. Kovalcuk seems to have the good kind of cocky, unlike Comrie, who's got the brat act pretty much nailed down. Plus, he's got a shot that can break a piece of glass, unlike Mikey.

If Comrie had scored 38 goals last year, no one would be complaining about his defensive play or his apparent attitude problems. Since he didn't, those end up being the things people focus on. When you're a multi-millionaire well before the age of 25, I think it it quite appropriate for fans to ask, "What have you done for me lately?"

Old
08-16-2003, 08:02 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I'd trade Comrie for Kovalchuk. In a heartbeat. Bigger, stronger, younger. Kovalcuk seems to have the good kind of cocky, unlike Comrie, who's got the brat act pretty much nailed down. Plus, he's got a shot that can break a piece of glass, unlike Mikey.

If Comrie had scored 38 goals last year, no one would be complaining about his defensive play or his apparent attitude problems. Since he didn't, those end up being the things people focus on. When you're a multi-millionaire well before the age of 25, I think it it quite appropriate for fans to ask, "What have you done for me lately?"
Well according to some of the posts, yes they would be complaining. According to some of the people on here it wouldn't matter if Comrie had lit it up, yadda yadda yadda.

Kovalcuck has 118 points in 146 games and is a -43 over the past 2 seasons.

Comrie has 111 points in 151 games and is a -2 in that same time.

Kovalchuk wouldn't know what a body check was if Scott Stevens lit him up. And if you don't think Ilya won't prove how much of a spoiled brat he will be when his contract is up this summer, you are living in a dream world.

And what exactly are Comrie's attitude problems, and how does he act like a spoiled kid? And I guess you have witnessed Kovalchuk's award winning work ethic and dedication to his teammates first hand (end sarcasm).

Old
08-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
According to some of the people on here it wouldn't matter if Comrie had lit it up, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, it's the yadda yadda yadda we can't seem to agree on. imo:

1. Mike Comrie is a talented offensive player.

2. He doesn't have plus speed or a plus shot, but his on ice vision and ability to find open ice in the slot area is exceptional.

3. He has maturity issues, but has overachieved for where he was taken in his draft year, and has already exceeded his predicted ceiling as an offensive player.

4. He is small for a #1 center

Would you agree with this?

Old
08-16-2003, 08:52 PM
mudcrutch79

Sure, I'll give you 1 and 2 and 4, but I still don't know why people think he has maturity issues. Maturity issues is "I just wasn't in to it." Maturity issues is showing up at 6 in the morning, drunk, explaining that you were out looking at houses. Maturity issues is announcing that you have given up cigarettes and will just go with the odd cigar. Maturity issues is running up a string of DUI's and ending up in jail. Maturity issues is missing yet another team flight and then being sent to Wichita as a result.

Mike Comrie has done none of this. Would someone please give me something on maturity issues beyond "My buddy says...", "I don't like his defence..." or "You can tell from his body language on the ice...".

Old
08-16-2003, 09:00 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Well according to some of the posts, yes they would be complaining. According to some of the people on here it wouldn't matter if Comrie had lit it up, yadda yadda yadda.

Kovalcuck has 118 points in 146 games and is a -43 over the past 2 seasons.

Comrie has 111 points in 151 games and is a -2 in that same time.

Kovalchuk wouldn't know what a body check was if Scott Stevens lit him up. And if you don't think Ilya won't prove how much of a spoiled brat he will be when his contract is up this summer, you are living in a dream world.

And what exactly are Comrie's attitude problems, and how does he act like a spoiled kid? And I guess you have witnessed Kovalchuk's award winning work ethic and dedication to his teammates first hand (end sarcasm).
What does Kovalchuk have to do with anything? We're talking about Comrie. Kovlachuk did however put those numbers up as an 18/19 year old with almost zero supporting cast - so the guys are totally uncomparable. But you are right in that he is a headcase - but with THAT kind of talent you bend over backwards to develop the kid.

In contrast - MCs success to this point has been as much a product of the team as his individual talents (which I don't deny are very good - just not elite). I can back this up by pointing to Marchants stats last year when he was pretty much given MCs job on the first line after Christmas. The result was 60 points and a stunningly good +/-. Do we all think that Marchant suddenly represents a hidden offensive powerhouse of course not he was put in a position where he was playing with our most talented wingers and given lots of PP time. The result was a decent points total.

I really want to see what MC can do on a line with lesser talents than Smyth and Hemsky. Can he keep his own production up? Can he raise the play of less talented linemates the way Weight did with Cleary, Laraque and others? Supporting Comrie is no longer the overwhelming focus of the Oilers we have lots of young guys to develop and some of them have more upside (eg Hemsky). So its time for MC to grow up and start taking on more responsibility if he can do that then hes a damn valuable player. If he cant - then hes just not physically big enough or talented enough to continue receiving the high level of team support that hes received during the last 2 seasons.

Old
08-16-2003, 09:50 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
What does Kovalchuk have to do with anything? We're talking about Comrie. Kovlachuk did however put those numbers up as an 18/19 year old with almost zero supporting cast - so the guys are totally uncomparable. But you are right in that he is a headcase - but with THAT kind of talent you bend over backwards to develop the kid.
I guess Danny Heatley is zero supporting cast. They are not totally uncomparable. Kovalchuk apparantly has all the size, all the talent, but has proven to be nothing more than marginally better (points wise) than Comrie has. I brough up Kovalchuk to watch how Oilers fans raise him up, and tear down Comrie.

Quote:
In contrast - MCs success to this point has been as much a product of the team as his individual talents (which I don't deny are very good - just not elite). I can back this up by pointing to Marchants stats last year when he was pretty much given MCs job on the first line after Christmas. The result was 60 points and a stunningly good +/-. Do we all think that Marchant suddenly represents a hidden offensive powerhouse of course not he was put in a position where he was playing with our most talented wingers and given lots of PP time. The result was a decent points total.
So in Comrie's first full season when Smyth was injured and Carter was invisible, exactly what team production was there? Who exactly was helping Comrie pad his stats? Marchant has always been about a 13-18 goal scorer on the 3rd line... so he added a total of 2 goals. Most of his points were assists, and in past time the MGM line always created lots of chances, they could just never score... but pair him with top linemates and more of those chances go in. Marchant was never put in a scoring role with players who could score, so we never knew.

Quote:
I really want to see what MC can do on a line with lesser talents than Smyth and Hemsky. Can he keep his own production up? Can he raise the play of less talented linemates the way Weight did with Cleary, Laraque and others? Supporting Comrie is no longer the overwhelming focus of the Oilers we have lots of young guys to develop and some of them have more upside than Comrie (eg Hemsky). So its time for MC to grow up and start taking on more responsibility if he can do that then hes a damn valuable player. If he cant - then hes just not physically big enough or talented enough to continue receiving the high level of team support that hes received during the last 2 seasons.
LOL... that is completely ridiculous. So do we give up on every single up and coming talent if they haven't mastered NHL hockey by the time they enter their 3rd full season? Comrie proved in his first full season that he could produce without linemates, and his 2nd isn't a fair comparison because he was injured. Comrie did receive more responsibility last year. But you can't heap more and more onto a young player and expect instant success... you have to expect growing pains, and anyone who isn't prepared for that is a complete moron. Sorry, but young players tend to have peaks and valleys in their development... God... I would hate to be Ales Hemsky with the way some of you vultures are!

Old
08-17-2003, 12:41 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
LOL... that is completely ridiculous. So do we give up on every single up and coming talent if they haven't mastered NHL hockey by the time they enter their 3rd full season? Comrie proved in his first full season that he could produce without linemates, and his 2nd isn't a fair comparison because he was injured. Comrie did receive more responsibility last year. But you can't heap more and more onto a young player and expect instant success... you have to expect growing pains, and anyone who isn't prepared for that is a complete moron. Sorry, but young players tend to have peaks and valleys in their development... God... I would hate to be Ales Hemsky with the way some of you vultures are!
If you would quit staring at Comrie like a 12 year old girl with love in her eyes - you would read my post a little more carefully (and not be so personally insulting by the way).

I have said Comrie is a talented hockey player - could be 1st liner on a weaker squad, solid 2nd liner on a contender. At the conclusion of the last season, however, a number of us began to question his willingness to give an honest effort defensively, his maturity and priorities, and his ability to make other players around him better. This isnt an MC fan board its an Oilers fan board and people have different opinions about the team.

As for Hemsky - I didn't have problem with his year and I wouldn't have cared if he had 15 points. I was pleasantly surprised at his maturity and his willingness to work on defense and strength over the season. He seems to be a very coachable kid and that's a good sign. That's a little different than Comrie having screaming matches with his coach after barely 2 seasons in the league. I would actually keep Hemsky off the top line next year and bring him along like Havlat in Ottawa slowly.

If MC gets his act together that is a BIG plus for the Oilers. I still think that something has to give because having both York and Comrie in the top 6 makes us too small but if Comrie becomes a good two way center then hes valuable in spite of his size. MC is coming into his 4th season in the league and hes got both pluses and minuses on his scorecard. Most people are just saying that he needs to step it up in some areas or he will remain a fairly one dimensional player.

Nobody is saying he has no talent just the opposite

Nobody is saying they want him to fail just the opposite

So chill out.

Old
08-17-2003, 01:08 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
If you would quit staring at Comrie like a 12 year old girl with love in her eyes - you would read my post a little more carefully (and not be so personally insulting by the way).
I wasn't personally insulting. I said you would have to be a complete moron to expect instant success from young players. The only way it is insulting is if you are expecting it. But reading back on your comment asking if he can do what Weight did with Cleary and Laraque, I assume you do... because you are comparing a 23 year old to a 30 year old (at the time). I have read all the posts carefully, and every single one of them is based on his time back from injury.

Quote:
I have said Comrie is a talented hockey player - could be 1st liner on a weaker squad, solid 2nd liner on a contender. At the conclusion of the last season, however, a number of us began to question his willingness to give an honest effort defensively, his maturity and priorities, and his ability to make other players around him better. This isnt an MC fan board its an Oilers fan board and people have different opinions about the team.
So please tell me, what are his priorities? What are specific reasons to question his maturity? His defense only really slipped because of his injury, because before that he was at least average.

Quote:
As for Hemsky - I didn't have problem with his year and I wouldn't have cared if he had 15 points. I was pleasantly surprised at his maturity and his willingness to work on defense and strength over the season. He seems to be a very coachable kid and that's a good sign. That's a little different than Comrie having screaming matches with his coach after barely 2 seasons in the league. I would actually keep Hemsky off the top line next year and bring him along like Havlat in Ottawa slowly.
I never said about last year... I am talking about the years to come. You know when he continues to develop. I sure hope he doesn't have a bad stretch because the fans will run him out of town.

Quote:
If MC gets his act together that is a BIG plus for the Oilers. I still think that something has to give because having both York and Comrie in the top 6 makes us too small but if Comrie becomes a good two way center then hes valuable in spite of his size. MC is coming into his 4th season in the league and hes got both pluses and minuses on his scorecard. Most people are just saying that he needs to step it up in some areas or he will remain a fairly one dimensional player.

Nobody is saying he has no talent just the opposite

Nobody is saying they want him to fail just the opposite

So chill out.
Most people aren't giving him the chance, they are saying give up on him and get someone new. That is the whole issue.

Old
08-17-2003, 06:06 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Sure, I'll give you 1 and 2 and 4, but I still don't know why people think he has maturity issues. Maturity issues is "I just wasn't in to it." Maturity issues is showing up at 6 in the morning, drunk, explaining that you were out looking at houses. Maturity issues is announcing that you have given up cigarettes and will just go with the odd cigar. Maturity issues is running up a string of DUI's and ending up in jail. Maturity issues is missing yet another team flight and then being sent to Wichita as a result.

Mike Comrie has done none of this. Would someone please give me something on maturity issues beyond "My buddy says...", "I don't like his defence..." or "You can tell from his body language on the ice...".
Well, I don't gossip so here goes:

Comrie left his college coach Red Berenson high and dry, telling him three weeks out that he wasn't coming back.

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/2000/...sports/02.html

http://www.uscho.com/news/2000/08/17_000034.php

http://www.umgoblue.com/HTML/Hockey/...ebyecomrie.htm

He came to came and impressed, but then got pissy when he was going to have to play two rookie games and Horcoff got to play in a big game. He missed a practice, I believe.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~publicas/summaries/00/09/14.htm

SEPTEMBER 11, 2000
8. COMRIE MAY BE TICKED OFF
Mike Comrie may be upset at having to play both rookie games with Oilers, one at UofA, and didn't show up at morning skate.
Page D4; by Jim Matheson

SEPTEMBER 14, 2000
11. COMRIE SCOOTS TO KOOTENAY
Mike Comrie has left the Edmonton Oiler training camp to play with the WHL's Kootenay Ice. This will allow Comrie to be a free-agent at the end of the season. Comrie scored a goal and an assist playing for the Oiler rookies against the University of Alberta Golden Bears last Tuesday.
Page sports 4; by Robert Tychkowski

Sorry I don't have a better source for the missed morning skate, but I remembered it and couldn't find another source.

I don't have time to search the net all day, but this sufficiently covers the first six months of his Oiler career. I'll try to find some other items later.

Old
08-17-2003, 07:06 AM
LawnDemon

i've mostly been lurking on this thread but i feel the need to add one thing: woe to thee who opposes dawgbone.

it seems that anyone with an opinion that differs from his is (what words were used thus far?) a "ludicrous" "moron"...

i have a number of comments pertinent to this thread that i considered writing out but then it occurred to me: what's the point in "debating" with someone who's obsession with being "right" (and sticking up for the whipping boy) precludes any semblance of objectivity?

Closed Thread