HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2003, 07:26 AM
igor*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
i've mostly been lurking on this thread but i feel the need to add one thing: woe to thee who opposes dawgbone.

it seems that anyone with an opinion that differs from his is (what words were used thus far?) a "ludicrous" "moron"...

i have a number of comments pertinent to this thread that i considered writing out but then it occurred to me: what's the point in "debating" with someone who's obsession with being "right" (and sticking up for the whipping boy) precludes any semblance of objectivity?
I wouldn't take it that personally. Unfortunately a couple of Dawgbone's posts on this thread have an offensive tone, and this detracts from the influence of his argument. But many of the points he makes still have validity IMO.

I think both sides of the record are getting fair play on this thread. A lot of good points by a lot of different people on different sides of the issue.

My two cents.

Old
08-17-2003, 07:42 AM
gretzky2kurri

[QUOTE=dawgbone]

I sure hope he doesn't have a bad stretch because the fans will run him out of town.QUOTE]

If Hemsky can at least "pretend" to care (and work on) his own end when he goes through offensive struggles, I'm sure the fans will be a little more forgiving.

But if he doesn't....and decides he can get out of his slump all by himself when he has the puck.........look for more of the same.

Thinking you don't need to rely on your linemates to bust out of slumps.....is a sign of immaturity.

Old
08-17-2003, 07:44 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
He came to came and impressed, but then got pissy when he was going to have to play two rookie games and Horcoff got to play in a big game. He missed a practice, I believe.
Good post Lowetide. I just have a few points.

We all knew this about Comrie before he signed. That's why many of us weren't that keen on Lowe making the deal in January 2001.

If we are to be honest ... most talented athletes are not well-balanced, or even likeable people. In any sport, anywhere. And especially not when they are 23 years old. But fandom everywhere embraces them if their performance on the field of play is great.

I remember last summer, when the question of who deserved the captaincy was being debated by us fans ... didn't you something along the lines of; "if Comrie were old enough to grow a beard ...". I remember it because I really disagreed. But I was too heavily out-numbered to argue.

So what has changed so much since this time last year???? By my eye, only one significant thing .... in the last half of this past season #89 stopped scoring.

He'll start scoring again this year. The concensus amongst fans will swing Mike back into the "helluva guy" category. And the cycle will be complete.

My two cents.

Old
08-17-2003, 07:58 AM
gretzky2kurri

[QUOTE=LawnDemon]
it seems that anyone with an opinion that differs from his is (what words were used thus far?) a "ludicrous" "moron"...

QUOTE]

We all (especially me) have some glaring traits that annoy people to death at times.

This without a shadow of a doubt is DB's. The Robin Hood act has become tiresome indeed. Not to mention "the whole world is wrong but me, so I feel compelled to call you a name" routine has truly run its course.

I think "at times" he just enjoys swimming upstream SO BADLY that he voids common sense in the process.

When he first arrived here I mentioned that this board really needed his objectivity badly.

You got the job already! Okay?

Old
08-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Well, I don't gossip so here goes:

Comrie left his college coach Red Berenson high and dry, telling him three weeks out that he wasn't coming back.

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/2000/...sports/02.html

http://www.uscho.com/news/2000/08/17_000034.php

http://www.umgoblue.com/HTML/Hockey/...ebyecomrie.htm

He came to came and impressed, but then got pissy when he was going to have to play two rookie games and Horcoff got to play in a big game. He missed a practice, I believe.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~publicas/summaries/00/09/14.htm

SEPTEMBER 11, 2000
8. COMRIE MAY BE TICKED OFF
Mike Comrie may be upset at having to play both rookie games with Oilers, one at UofA, and didn't show up at morning skate.
Page D4; by Jim Matheson

SEPTEMBER 14, 2000
11. COMRIE SCOOTS TO KOOTENAY
Mike Comrie has left the Edmonton Oiler training camp to play with the WHL's Kootenay Ice. This will allow Comrie to be a free-agent at the end of the season. Comrie scored a goal and an assist playing for the Oiler rookies against the University of Alberta Golden Bears last Tuesday.
Page sports 4; by Robert Tychkowski

Sorry I don't have a better source for the missed morning skate, but I remembered it and couldn't find another source.

I don't have time to search the net all day, but this sufficiently covers the first six months of his Oiler career. I'll try to find some other items later.
I don't view this post as evidence of poor attitude or behavior, at least not the University of Michigan mouth piece features. I would expect U. of M. coaches, students, and alumni to be upset. Sports at U. of M. and all of the U.S. College system is big, big money. Red Berenson is an excellent coach and runs a very good program but the Van Ryn ruling created a means for young prospects to 'beat the system.'

I especially like the one Big M booster thread which in concluding the writer's critical opinion about Comrie leaving school,his attitude, style and size (playing against players 50 pounds heavier), offers the cautionary tale about the risk of financially hardship for athlete's who leave early and don't finish school. It is evident the writer doesn't know Combie's financial background.

As far as Comrie leaving Oiler rookie camp, it was a negotiating tactic afforded him by the Van Ryn ruling. I didn't like this decision either but the reality is this loophole developed in the system and as such Comrie had the opportunity to use it.

For me, the only credible points made with these links might actually be "He came to came and impressed, but then got pissy when he was going to have to play two rookie games and Horcoff got to play in a big game. He missed a practice, I believe." This speaks to his supposed attitude, but again, looking at it abit differently, it might be a negotiating tactic with the Ryn Ryn ruling.

Comrie has been a lightning rod for discussion. There seem to be two very strong polarized opinions about this young player. At the heart of discussion is attitude and motivation. The links here provide some evidence of early controversy regarding Comrie.

I'm going to give Comrie the benefit of the doubt and see if he overcomes his doubters on the ice this season. If however he holds out, whines through the media about being underpayed, and ultimately doesn't return to pre-last year numbers, my opinion on Mike Comrie the player and Mike Comrie the person will change.

Old
08-17-2003, 08:40 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
IComrie has been a lightning rod for discussion. There seem to be two very strong polarized opinions about this young player. At the heart of discussion is attitude and motivation. The links here provide some evidence of early controversy regarding Comrie.

I'm going to give Comrie the benefit of the doubt and see if he overcomes his doubters on the ice this season. If however he holds out, whines through the media about being underpayed, and ultimately doesn't return to pre-last year numbers, my opinion on Mike Comrie the player and Mike Comrie the person will change.
Good points. I LIKE Comrie, here's hoping he scores 500 Oiler goals. I just think (and the original reason for starting this thread) that BOTH points of view have merit.

g2k says where there's smoke there's fire, and that has merit. Mudcrutch says prove it. THAT has merit too. I agree with igor from a post earlier today he made, this has been an interesting discussion and we don't seem to be getting bogged down. Good stuff, folks.

Old
08-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
I remember last summer, when the question of who deserved the captaincy was being debated by us fans ... didn't you something along the lines of; "if Comrie were old enough to grow a beard ...". I remember it because I really disagreed. But I was too heavily out-numbered to argue.
SOUNDS like the kind of thing I'd say. I like Comrie, as a long time Oiler fan watching a kid who came through the system who can score is something that hasn't happened in awhile. I probably said it around the time he seemed to be single handedly carrying the team during his 33 goal season (remember? everyone was hurt/struggling and Comrie seemed to be the only guy who could find the net). I was clearly over zealous.

Old
08-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Mizral

Quote:
How on EARTH did Mike Comrie become the latest whipping boy?
He didn't play well enough last year. His defensive deficiencies, plus his recent speculation on this coming contract, his 1st negotiation tactics, his family, and the rumours swirling around him asking for a trade. That's about it.

I'm not a Comrie fan. But regardless if he's a whipping boy or not, he can score goals on the 2nd line. Until he is shipped out of town, enjoy the offensive attributes of the guy. Though I think he deserves 90% of the crap fans give him.

Old
08-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Izzy4Real

How can anyone say *For A Fact* that they know Comrie has Maturity or Attitude problems?

You think he's the first Professional Athlete to miss a Morning skate or a Practice. Hell I hate those things sometimes and I used to beg my dad not to make me go to the practices. Yes I know if he's trying to make a good impression with the team and he should be mature and go to them but really who cares? He missed a few drills.

As for Red Berenson and leaving Michigan. He wanted A) To play with the team he grew up watching and has always wanted to play for. B) He wanted money. Yes I hated him for wanting, and getting, that much money but quite honestly, he is worth it and that is the league ecomomics.

He was mad at MacT earlier this year for demoting him to the fourth line and said he got too much bad press after the playoffs.

Were either of these statements un-called for? NO

He came back early from injury and was re-paid by playing with Chimera and Laraque, he's not the only top line C that would be a little peeved with a shaft like that. Just because Doug Weight didn't mind playing with Zholtok and Cleary doesn't mean every top line center on the Oilers is going to think that way.

And after the playoffs? WTF? It made me mad too to see everyone saying Smyth and York were injured, Hemsky's a rookie and Marchant just got too used to an offensive role but Comrie... Man he was the entire reason we lost that series. News Flash: Comrie was one of our better players towards the end of the series where it counted more, and he was better then Marchant or Hemsky were in that series. Would I have liked to see him start the series with his top game? Yes but I realize he (Much like Smyth and York who noone really saw it as anything big with) was recovering from his injury.

And as for him not being able to score goals: In one of the lowest scoring seasons in the post expansion NHL Comrie came in, in his first full season at 21 years of age, and scored 33 goals and 60 points with a steady defensive game. I was expecting him to get 17 goals and 43 points with him being somewhat of a defensive liability. I'm happy with this last season because before the 2002 season I didn't think he'd crack 53 until at least his third season. He is a something we should be valuing, not ragging at, he's a rare thing. A talented Oiler Draftee in the 90's. He had an injury that limited his effectiveness in the late stages of the year, why do we all have such a short memory and not think of what he was doing prior to that injury?

As for the Ronning/Janney comparisons:

Ronning, despite being in a much more offensive NHL in his prime, still hasn't scored 33 goals but has topped Comries max point total 6 times with seasons of 71, 85, 68, 67, 62 and 62 points. Woop de doo Comries 22 and he could easily get 71 points this year and make it only one year where Ronning has topped him in points, and even then he can still get 85 in years to come IMO. Ronning also doesn't really have the moves inside the offensive zone that Comrie has. Does he play better defense? Yes but did Comrie show good defense that could potentially well above average prior to his hand injury? Yes.

Janney is the same as Ronning, he has never topped Comries goal total while being in his prime in a very offensive NHL, and has topped Comries point total, also, 6 times, in 3 of those seasons, he only scored 62 points. But Janney never ever would take an unnecesarry hit. People were always raving prior to his injury that Comrie was so great because even though he was little he was a gritty, yapping heart player on the Oil.

He WAS the hometown hero, now he's the whipping boy. It makes zero sense. Those are my opinions, disagree all you want but I had to say all of that because I think Comrie is taking way too much flack.

Old
08-17-2003, 03:53 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
i've mostly been lurking on this thread but i feel the need to add one thing: woe to thee who opposes dawgbone.

i have a number of comments pertinent to this thread that i considered writing out but then it occurred to me: what's the point in "debating" with someone who's obsession with being "right" (and sticking up for the whipping boy) precludes any semblance of objectivity?
So you guys can insult a player who isn't here to defend themself, but heaven forbid another poster insults you...

So it's okay to be gutless, but not okay to do it to someone who can defend themself.

And lawndemon... you are the exact same way... if someone doesn't agree with you they are wrong. The pendulum swings back and forth.

Old
08-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
So you guys can insult a player who isn't here to defend themself, but heaven forbid another poster insults you...

So it's okay to be gutless, but not okay to do it to someone who can defend themself.
Part and parcel of fame. Like Comrie's the first Oiler to get criticitzed here.

I wonder if Darcy Tucker would find your avatar funny....

Old
08-17-2003, 05:14 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Part and parcel of fame. Like Comrie's the first Oiler to get criticitzed here.

I wonder if Darcy Tucker would find your avatar funny....
I'm not saying it is wrong to criticize a player... I was just trying to figure out how it is okay to insult a player, but not another poster. I just can't seem to figure that one out. If someone is allowed to make the allegation that Comrie was in it only for the bonus money last year, I am allowed to make the allegation that they are the idiot.

I am fully prepared for comments people can make about me... but they better look in the mirror first!

As for Marcy... I have said it to his face, so I don't know what you are trying to get at.

Old
08-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Asiaoil

Well it's been an interesting thread - but I think it's all been said. To sum up:

It seems like myself and several other posters think Comrie has shown major pluses and more than a few negatives in his game since joining the Oilers. I personally hope he fixes these weak points and becomes more than just an offensive player that needs a lot of team support to function effectively.

Some folks just want to ignore the Comrie's negatives, put it all down to youth or inexperience and assume it will all work out over time.

It's been my experience that problems are best dealt with by accepting that they exist and then working on them - hockey stars are not exempt from this generalization IMO.

Old
08-18-2003, 02:02 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Well it's been an interesting thread - but I think it's all been said. To sum up:

It seems like myself and several other posters think Comrie has shown major pluses and more than a few negatives in his game since joining the Oilers. I personally hope he fixes these weak points and becomes more than just an offensive player that needs a lot of team support to function effectively.

Some folks just want to ignore the Comrie's negatives, put it all down to youth or inexperience and assume it will all work out over time.

It's been my experience that problems are best dealt with by accepting that they exist and then working on them - hockey stars are not exempt from this generalization IMO.
Who is ignoring them?

I have already said that if he has learned from them, and is willing to work on them, then it's okay to have a bad stretch.

Unfortunately, alot of the other posters are not giving him the chance to work it out. They are already doing things like trading him, getting ready to booo him out, etc... Read a lot of these posts.... not a whole lot of them talk about letting him prove that it was just a bad stretch.

Old
08-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Izzy4Real

Quote:
Who is ignoring them?

I have already said that if he has learned from them, and is willing to work on them, then it's okay to have a bad stretch.

Unfortunately, alot of the other posters are not giving him the chance to work it out. They are already doing things like trading him, getting ready to booo him out, etc... Read a lot of these posts.... not a whole lot of them talk about letting him prove that it was just a bad stretch.
So pretty much in summary, the agreement is:

1. Comrie has the potential to be a very, very good player for the Oilers, but in order to do this he will have to prove the rumors wrong by showing he doesn't have serious attitude/maturity problems.

2. He is going to have to show more attention to defense and more attention to other players on offense to once again endear himself to fans.

3. He is going to have to bounce back nicely from his post-injury slump at the end of the season.

4. He is going to have to show progress in various parts of his game in order to avoid being ran out of town.

Is that about right?

In any case I hope that even if we do trade Comrie, it wont be like Poti and Arnott and the Oilers fans, the Oilers brass, The Oilers players and Comrie are all on a good note with each other

Old
08-18-2003, 09:22 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:

And lawndemon... you are the exact same way... if someone doesn't agree with you they are wrong. The pendulum swings back and forth.
i really have better things to do than get in to a pissing match with you. so as a final note for my part (and i guarantee it is final no matter how many more insults you sling at me or other HF posters) - you would be well served to learn the difference between debating (ie: trying to prove an argument) and belittling (ie: being an obstinate name calling jerk).

it is great that folks come here with an opinion that they would like to share and debate - often using argument as a means of proving their point. i will proudly admit to doing that often around here - and sometimes i will refuse to concede defeat because i truly believe what i am stating. however, it devalues the integrity of the discussion when one party chooses to insult people that don't agree with their stance.

frankly, your altruistic act is spoiled by your ignorance (and that is not "name calling" - it's a supportable fact). you have some very good, logical points (whether i agree with them or not) but they are all rendered moot by your arrogance. of course, that's just my opinion. i won't call anyone stupid for not agreeing with it. after all, it's quite possible you're a nice guy and i'm misinterpreting your prose - which is exactly why i am dropping the topic forthright. my apologies if that is the case.

now i feel dirty for writing stuff that is not oiler related. in fact, i feel like i'm back posting at edmontonoilers.com... ick.

Old
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
i really have better things to do than get in to a pissing match with you. so as a final note for my part (and i guarantee it is final no matter how many more insults you sling at me or other HF posters) - you would be well served to learn the difference between debating (ie: trying to prove an argument) and belittling (ie: being an obstinate name calling jerk).

it is great that folks come here with an opinion that they would like to share and debate - often using argument as a means of proving their point. i will proudly admit to doing that often around here - and sometimes i will refuse to concede defeat because i truly believe what i am stating. however, it devalues the integrity of the discussion when one party chooses to insult people that don't agree with their stance.

frankly, your altruistic act is spoiled by your ignorance (and that is not "name calling" - it's a supportable fact). you have some very good, logical points (whether i agree with them or not) but they are all rendered moot by your arrogance. of course, that's just my opinion. i won't call anyone stupid for not agreeing with it. after all, it's quite possible you're a nice guy and i'm misinterpreting your prose - which is exactly why i am dropping the topic forthright. my apologies if that is the case.

now i feel dirty for writing stuff that is not oiler related. in fact, i feel like i'm back posting at edmontonoilers.com... ick.
It gets extremely frustrating reading people insult coaches, and players on here, and I took some of it personally.

Old
08-18-2003, 02:33 PM
gretzky2kurri

Actors get insulted when they put out dud movies. People put out at least 20 bucks (when all is done) to go to a movie and get vocal when the movie or sequel sucked.

Does it bother you that Darcy Tucker can't defend himself when your critical of him at the water cooler ? Of course not.

The people that are in the public eye and get the big bucks are subject to insults. And there is no way they can defend against every critic and ticket buyer that has something negative to say. There's just not enough time. But that doesn't mean people can't get critical about millionaires.

It's impossible for him to defend himself........so I shouldn't vent about him. That's just unrealistic.

It comes with the territory. It's the price they pay.

That's why I wonder why some atheletes go for the mondo bucks when they are already rich. They go and heap all this extra pressure and expectations on themselves. And some struggle from all this pressure. Not true for every athelete, but how many have we seen? Then comes the criticism.

Old
08-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Lowetide

This is a great board, certainly the best I've seen.

However, we have bright people with strong opinions and when that happens, there can be some friction. I used to slap stuff up in the old days, but now I make damn good and sure I get my facts straight and have given my opinion cleary.

Especially on an issue like Comrie. Personally, I promise never to underestimate his ability to score goals again, because he can in bunches. However, he does come to camp with something to prove, and some of us wonder about him holding out with each passing day.

I still think he should have stayed in Michigan for one more season.

Old
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

Does it bother you that Darcy Tucker can't defend himself when your critical of him at the water cooler ? Of course not.
I've said everything I have wanted to say about Marcy to his face... so no it doesn't bother me because he has had the chance to confront me about it.

Quote:
The people that are in the public eye and get the big bucks are subject to insults. And there is no way they can defend against every critic and ticket buyer that has something negative to say. There's just not enough time. But that doesn't mean people can't get critical about millionaires.

It's impossible for him to defend himself........so I shouldn't vent about him. That's just unrealistic.
I didn't say you can't criticize... I asked if it was fair that a player could be insulted and not a poster. Most people can dish it, but they can't take it.

A lot of the criticizms on Comrie are that he only played for the money last year and that his priorities are messed up. Well seeing as he has never commented on either, it is simply baseless accusations. Comrie deserves to be criticized for his poor play at the end of last season, no questions there. But he also has to be given the chance to prove that it was simply growing pains. There is alot of criticisms, but not alot of chalking it up to the learning process and seeing what he does this year.

Old
08-18-2003, 05:38 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I've said everything I have wanted to say about Marcy to his face... so no it doesn't bother me because he has had the chance to confront me about it.

I didn't say you can't criticize... I asked if it was fair that a player could be insulted and not a poster. Most people can dish it, but they can't take it.

A lot of the criticizms on Comrie are that he only played for the money last year and that his priorities are messed up. Well seeing as he has never commented on either, it is simply baseless accusations. Comrie deserves to be criticized for his poor play at the end of last season, no questions there. But he also has to be given the chance to prove that it was simply growing pains. There is alot of criticisms, but not alot of chalking it up to the learning process and seeing what he does this year.
I understand your frustration. The baseless accusations.

I'm not a big Hecht booster. But when he was shipped out after one season, tons of people said "ah he didn't want to be an Oiler". Whenever I took people to task about it they never had anything concrete what so ever. Just the fact that when he was initially traded, he pondered going back to Europe. Like thats never happened before. Just the initial shock of being traded. He ended up coming and never publicly complained about being here. Then someone else said he heard he was a loner and kept to himself alot. So did Robert Orr and he loved being a Bruin I beleive.

Carter floats on the 1st line with quality line mates to a 60 point season. All that PP time and big first line minutes. Hecht gets bounced all over the roster playing with plumbers Minimal PP time, less minutes and still gets 40 points. I think Hecht coulda got more than Carters 60 points with that 1st line ice time and big PP minutes no problem. But he wasn't Doug Weight and he hated Edmonton so he was gone.

I think I somewhat know your frustration.

I didn't realise Darcy Tucker could actually confront you about what you have to say about him. Tell him to eff off for me please.

Old
08-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I don't view this post as evidence of poor attitude or behavior, at least not the University of Michigan mouth piece features. I would expect U. of M. coaches, students, and alumni to be upset. Sports at U. of M. and all of the U.S. College system is big, big money. Red Berenson is an excellent coach and runs a very good program but the Van Ryn ruling created a means for young prospects to 'beat the system.'

I especially like the one Big M booster thread which in concluding the writer's critical opinion about Comrie leaving school,his attitude, style and size (playing against players 50 pounds heavier), offers the cautionary tale about the risk of financially hardship for athlete's who leave early and don't finish school. It is evident the writer doesn't know Combie's financial background.
ok.

I agree with you about the third piece. I wouldn't pay it much mind. Sour grapes from the writer. Comrie is still a part of the Michigan program. He's attended several games over the past couple years and skated in the alumni game they have every year. He didn't burn his bridges.

That said, he clearly left for monetary purposes, which shouldn't be condemned because a lot of athletes do it but does not bode well for his future in Edmonton. If he puts a whole lot of importance on the benjamins he'll be outta here sooner or later.

Old
08-19-2003, 01:32 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I didn't realise Darcy Tucker could actually confront you about what you have to say about him. Tell him to eff off for me please.
I ran into him after the Oilers game (when they won 5-4). I was wearing my Smyth Jersey and he decided to be a Comedian and yell something out about how Smyth won't be playing anymore after that hit.

I went off on him a little, and a bit of a meelee ensued as I was surrounded by Leaf fans.

It all ended well though...

Old
08-19-2003, 03:53 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I ran into him after the Oilers game (when they won 5-4). I was wearing my Smyth Jersey and he decided to be a Comedian and yell something out about how Smyth won't be playing anymore after that hit.

I went off on him a little, and a bit of a meelee ensued as I was surrounded by Leaf fans.

It all ended well though...
That's cool...That shows everybody what kind of ass-clown Tucker is...I tell ya, I don't what I'd do if he was traded to Edmonton...It would definately be a low point in my 20+ years as an Oiler fan... :mad:

Old
08-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Master Lok

I agree with Izzy4Real. Comrie is taking waaaaaay too much flak. He's a kid. Two years in the NHL. His rookie season, he was great, playing clearly above everyone's expectations. His second season, he played hurt and it showed in his lack of effectiveness. I've noticed that a lot of people hate him because he made the bonuses in his contract, or that he didn't singlehandedly lead the Oilers to a playoff victory over the Stars or that he doesn't play more defensively or that he's playing on the 1st line and people don't think he should be there. End result: None of that is under his control.

Yes he won the bonuses. Good job. there's the money. the Oilers lost to the Stars. So what? I don't expect a sophomore player to lead the team to victory or to play sound defensive hockey. And he doesn't control who plays on the 1st line, that's MacT's job. I don't understand why so many fans hate him. Maybe its because us Oiler fans feel the need for a scapegoat every couple of years (ala Poti, Arnott etc.). Patience, give him a chance to become a star and a hometown star at that.

And No AsiaOil, don't insinuate that just because I'm defending Comrie that I'm some lovesick groupie. By disrespecting anyone who disagrees with you, you only manage to disrespect yourself.

Closed Thread