HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

bourret dupuis trade - revisited

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
bourret dupuis trade - revisited

I questioned this trade at the end of last season and I am still none the wiser starting this season.

It doesn't appear like Bourret will be on this years squad.

If my memory serves me = THN fantasy edition has Dupuis on second Thrash line?

what was the idea behind gettign dupuis in the first instance if he didn't feature
in our plans.

what are our best case plans with Bourret?

Old
09-03-2007, 07:08 AM
The Fuhr*

Bourret >>>>>>>>>> Dupuis

You take the stud prospect over a third liner on a good team every day of the week.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:16 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
dupuis was taken as a stop gap and when the opportunity presented itself to take a very good young prosepct over a guy unlikely to be re-signed who was at best a depth player you have to take that option.

It really is a no brainer. Dupuis has stagnmated since that 1 very good yr in Minnesota. He represented an upgreade for us over Adam Hall but he doesnt fit in with the picture. Bourret gives us another good building block.

Right now the deal is even. In 2-3 years the Rangers will have won this deal hands down, by a mile.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Only got Dupuis because Hall needed to go.. then Atlanta had interest in Dupuis I take it, and also wanted to get rid of Bourret for some reason, so it was done.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:39 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Only got Dupuis because Hall needed to go.. then Atlanta had interest in Dupuis I take it, and also wanted to get rid of Bourret for some reason, so it was done.
at every stage of the deal it was right for all concerned. We wanted rid of Hall, got Dupuis. Atlanta wanted Dupuis and we got someone we wanted and almost drafted.

It worked out very well for the Rangers. Had we not moved up to get Staal in the draft its been said they'd have taken Bourret...so in effect we got 2 1st round players that yr with essentially 1 1st round pick and a 3rd line NHLer.

This deal, with patience on Rangers part can be a steal. Bourret has got alot of big time upside and just needs to learn the pro game in Hartford for 1 more year, improve his English and hopefully gain that consistency that so many younger players look for.

If we allow him to develop at a good pace he can be a real asset.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:41 AM
eco's bones

I think this was a great trade for us London. Dupuis has been around a while--has speed, checking ability and can score a few goals but to me a comparison would be a lesser Anson Carter (from Carter's days with us). He's a player you can plug into holes like Jason Ward--just don't expect big numbers from him. Bourret is still very young--but is stocky and strong. He's a legit 2nd line prospect with a high side of being an okay 1st liner. Potentially he could be comparable to someone like a Pat Verbeek.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

So we expect Bourret to be a Pat Verbeek type of player in 2-3 years? I'd take that!
I am not sure...

Old
09-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Chimp

I hope Cherepanov, Bourret and the others to be ready to step up when players like Straka and Jagr retire.

Hockey's Future predicts Bourret to become a 1st line forward, with an 80% chance.

edit: I revise that. Hockey's Future expects Bourret to become a top two line player.

Last edited by Chimp: 09-03-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old
09-03-2007, 07:48 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by london ranger View Post
So we expect Bourret to be what for us?: 2nd line scorer? 1st line? in 2-4 years?
2nd line scorer. 2 more years in the AHL...let him have a few 80 point years there and he can then fill either of Straka or Shanny's boots when they leave.

I can see him being a 30 goal NHLer who can bring an abbrasive style and throw some hits.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:51 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I hope Cherepanov, Bourret and the others to be ready to step up when players like Straka and Jagr retire.

Hockey's Future predicts Bourret to become a 1st line forward, with an 80% chance.
Chimp, i think the timing could be bang on. Realistically Jagr, Shanny and Straka will all be gone in 2-3 years. They say Cherepanov is NHL ready now so another 2 years and he'll be more than equipped. Bourret and Dawes with another yr or 2 in the A will be very mature and ready for full time NHL play.

I think all 3 can make significant impacts give the ice time and in 2 or 3 years that ice time will be available.

I'd love Cherepanov to get 1 yr on the same team as Jagr. it'd help his progress.

Old
09-03-2007, 07:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I think this was a great trade for us London. Dupuis has been around a while--has speed, checking ability and can score a few goals but to me a comparison would be a lesser Anson Carter (from Carter's days with us). He's a player you can plug into holes like Jason Ward--just don't expect big numbers from him. Bourret is still very young--but is stocky and strong. He's a legit 2nd line prospect with a high side of being an okay 1st liner. Potentially he could be comparable to someone like a Pat Verbeek.
I couldn't agree more. Let us also remember that if Staal hadn't fallen into our laps the player we would have selected was most likely going to be Bourret. So it made perfect sense to trade a spare part for a player we liked in the 05 draft and had intenetions of drafting. An asute trade, one that should pay good dividends. We had plenty of Dupris like players in our system that allowed us to do the trade.

Old
09-03-2007, 08:57 AM
DutchShamrock

Besides the fact that Bourett's upside is higher than Dupuis', we are deep in the type of player Dupuis is. We have enough 3rd line players with great defensive play and moderate scoring. The fact that we could turn that asset into a top 6 prospect with only a cost of a 3rd rounder is fantastic. If we lacked pkers and 3rd line checkers the trade wouldn't have been as nice, but that's not the case.

Old
09-03-2007, 09:03 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Besides the fact that Bourett's upside is higher than Dupuis', we are deep in the type of player Dupuis is. We have enough 3rd line players with great defensive play and moderate scoring. The fact that we could turn that asset into a top 6 prospect with only a cost of a 3rd rounder is fantastic. If we lacked pkers and 3rd line checkers the trade wouldn't have been as nice, but that's not the case.
agreed. Another reason why it was a smart move. Players like Byers in Hartford can already bring to the 3rd line what Dupuis would have (apart from speed).

Old
09-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Bourret has got alot of big time upside and just needs to learn the pro game in Hartford for 1 more year, improve his English and hopefully gain that consistency that so many younger players look for.
He's from Quebec.. and doesn't speak English well?

Old
09-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
so maybe Alex Bourret should join the ....

Derek Zoolander Center for Kids...
Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn
to Do Other Stuff Good Too...

Old
09-03-2007, 09:15 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
apparently he is very much French first. His english isnt brilliant apparently. Wehn he reported to Chicago (wolves) they were shocked at how basic his english was and he was apparently shocked at playing in such a big city. The whole enviornment and culture shocked him and thats why they said he had a poor start for the club. It had nothing to do with his takent, he was overawed. Probably didnt help that he was the youngest player in the AHL too.

Old
09-03-2007, 10:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I questioned this trade at the end of last season and I am still none the wiser starting this season.

It doesn't appear like Bourret will be on this years squad.

If my memory serves me = THN fantasy edition has Dupuis on second Thrash line?

what was the idea behind gettign dupuis in the first instance if he didn't feature
in our plans.

what are our best case plans with Bourret?
It's a trade you still have to make regardless of what Bourret becomes. Dupuis had a very small role here. And he was going to be a UFA (one that we may or may not have re-signed).

And the reason for getting Dupuis in the first place was getting rid of Adam Hall.

09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
hlundqvist30*

Bourret could completely flop, becoming a career ECHLer, and there would still not be a single person questioning the move Sather made. The risk was pretty much nothing. Either we traded a player who wasn't likely to resign with us anyway that is at best a 3rd liner, in which we already had more than we needed for a career minor leaguer, or we traded him for a future all-star. WE got rid of Ortmeyer because of roster issues, not talent issues, so do you reallythink they would have made space for Dupuis this year if they wouldn't for Ortmeyer?

Old
09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's a trade you still have to make regardless of what Bourret becomes. Dupuis had a very small role here. And he was going to be a UFA (one that we may or may not have re-signed).

And the reason for getting Dupuis in the first place was getting rid of Adam Hall.
thats what i said. The timing and benefits for the Rangers were great in these trades. ADam Hall was a huge failure but has turned into a nice prosepct (Bourret).

Good deal.

Old
09-03-2007, 10:31 AM
NYRJurgen88

if there is then the lesser Anson Carter isnt int he NHL surely?!?

Old
09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Bourret could completely flop, becoming a career ECHLer, and there would still not be a single person questioning the move Sather made. The risk was pretty much nothing. Either we traded a player who wasn't likely to resign with us anyway that is at best a 3rd liner, in which we already had more than we needed for a career minor leaguer, or we traded him for a future all-star. WE got rid of Ortmeyer because of roster issues, not talent issues, so do you reallythink they would have made space for Dupuis this year if they wouldn't for Ortmeyer?
clear - its an small premium to pay for huge upside

Old
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
clear - its an small premium to pay for huge upside
or...very low risk and (potentially) very high reward deal for us. Anytime you can have that equation it is a good thing.

Old
09-03-2007, 10:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
thats what i said. The timing and benefits for the Rangers were great in these trades. ADam Hall was a huge failure but has turned into a nice prosepct (Bourret).

Good deal.
It was dealing a guy that this team really had little use for while getting another team's top forward prospect in return. And the player traded may or may not have been on this team this season (more likely than not he would not have been on the team this season).

To me it comes down to enjoy the possibility that Bourret will become a useful member of this team. That and I never said to myself once during the playoffs, "Boy if we only had Pascal Dupuis..."

Darn right it was a good deal.

Old
09-03-2007, 10:37 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

That and I never said to myself once during the playoffs, "Boy if we only had Pascal Dupuis..."
thats funny!

Old
09-03-2007, 10:37 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
So we expect Bourret to be a Pat Verbeek type of player in 2-3 years? I'd take that!
I am not sure...
Brendan Morrow type is what I think Bourret will become.

Closed Thread