HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers #9 Prospect

View Poll Results: Flyers #9 Prospect
Scott Munroe - G 1 1.59%
Denis Bodrov - D 4 6.35%
Lars Jonsson - D 4 6.35%
Kevin Marshall - D 20 31.75%
Michael Ratchuk - D 19 30.16%
Frederik Cabana - C 2 3.17%
Kyle Greentree - LW 0 0%
Mario Kempe - RW 10 15.87%
David Laliberté - RW 1 1.59%
Jonathan Matsumoto - C 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Flyers #9 Prospect

Oskars Bartulis is number eight. 30 of 65 voters (46.15%) chose him.

I added David Laliberté to this poll.

1. James VanRiemsdyk (50.71%)
2. Ryan Parent (41.28%)
3. Claude Giroux (47.42%)
4. Steve Downie (71.26%)
5. Andreas Nödl (58.51%)
6. Ryan Potulny (55.26%)
7. Stefan Ruzicka (68.85%)
8. Oskars Bartulis (46.15%)

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Winston Wolf

I voted Ratchuk.

Add Patrick Maroon.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 08:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Not that I've seen much of either, but Ratchuk found himself in the doghouse last year. I'd like to see what he can do this year...

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 09:34 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Marshall

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
SaveHextall

I voted Kempe over Ratchuk.

Why do you think Ratchuk was in the doghouse? He didnt get alot of ice time last year but I just figured that was due to him being a freshman defender on an NCAA Championship team.

Did you hear otherwise?

SaveHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 10:09 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveHextall View Post
I voted Kempe over Ratchuk.

Why do you think Ratchuk was in the doghouse? He didnt get alot of ice time last year but I just figured that was due to him being a freshman defender on an NCAA Championship team.

Did you hear otherwise?
He played less as the season went along. Perhaps that was just because the importance of the games was amping up and the coach wanted the experience out there, I dunno, but it's what happened.

I'm going with Lars again on this one. He's still the only guy anywhere near the NHL on this list.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Not that I've seen much of either, but Ratchuk found himself in the doghouse last year. I'd like to see what he can do this year...
This is from Inside College Hockey about Michael Ratchuk and the reasons he hasn't played so much last season:

Quote:
Few positions, if any, require a bigger adjustment for freshmen than offensive defenseman. That showed as Ratchuk learned his defensive responsibilities, but head coach Rick Comley wants to ensure that he doesn't sacrifice offense. Ratchuk's experience at the U.S. junior camp this summer should help as he enters his sophomore season, and the graduation of Tyler Howells and Ethan Graham will open up minutes on the blueline. Ratchuk should be the go-to offensive defenseman for the defending national champions.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
BringBackStevens

Kevin Marshall

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 03:44 PM
McNasty

Saw Ratchuk play twice the kid looks great.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 04:30 PM
ELab2

Ratchuk was a freshman playing on one of the most successful teams in the country. Thats why he sat a lot. But he did have good point totals especially considering how little he played. Watching him at prospect camp this kid has all the skill in the world, he's fast and agile, and he's very good positionally. He's very slight so the one area of concern is whether or not he'll be able to handle NHL forwards without getting squashed.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
being small doesn't take a lot away from kimmo timonen. i could see ratchuk putting on some muscle and being a very good puck-moving defenseman.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 09:31 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
being small doesn't take a lot away from kimmo timonen. i could see ratchuk putting on some muscle and being a very good puck-moving defenseman.
Kimmo is, for lack of a better term, thick. He's not tall, and he doesn't have a huge body, but what he's got is just muscle all the way through (well, except for the bones and organs I suppose). I'm not saying Ratchuk can't put that on, just that it's far from a given that he can do it and remain a very mobile skater.

Old
09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Kimmo is, for lack of a better term, thick. He's not tall, and he doesn't have a huge body, but what he's got is just muscle all the way through (well, except for the bones and organs I suppose). I'm not saying Ratchuk can't put that on, just that it's far from a given that he can do it and remain a very mobile skater.
That's a good point. We'll have to see how much weight he can put on. Small guys can be effective. I look at a guy like Freddy Meyer who was pretty damn good at stoping big guys coming into the zone by using his small stature to his advantage. But you certainly do need to have good lower and upper body stregth to get by.

As far as that goes though he's in a very good college program where he'll be able to put on a lot of weight and muscle (if he's biologically capable). He's already got the natural skill now he needs to continue to improve positionally and get stronger.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
That's a good point. We'll have to see how much weight he can put on. Small guys can be effective. I look at a guy like Freddy Meyer who was pretty damn good at stoping big guys coming into the zone by using his small stature to his advantage. But you certainly do need to have good lower and upper body stregth to get by.

As far as that goes though he's in a very good college program where he'll be able to put on a lot of weight and muscle (if he's biologically capable). He's already got the natural skill now he needs to continue to improve positionally and get stronger.
Whether or not he can put on a lot of weight, there is a place in the new NHL for a smaller D man who can move the puck. Lots of examples: Rafalski, Brian Campbell, Corvo, Preissing, Kaberle, Niedermayer, etc.

Ratchuk has the skating, shot and skill to be an effective PP player, and even did so as a freshman. This should be a good year. Hopefully he can crack a strong D on the US WJC team. Looking at the guys they had in camp, he could be in tough, but everyone needs a speedburner back there and he's our future one.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 01:12 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Whether or not he can put on a lot of weight, there is a place in the new NHL for a smaller D man who can move the puck. Lots of examples: Rafalski, Brian Campbell, Corvo, Preissing, Kaberle, Niedermayer, etc.

Ratchuk has the skating, shot and skill to be an effective PP player, and even did so as a freshman. This should be a good year. Hopefully he can crack a strong D on the US WJC team. Looking at the guys they had in camp, he could be in tough, but everyone needs a speedburner back there and he's our future one.
There's a difference between a smaller NHL defeseman and where Ratchuk is now. Timonen is listed at 5'10", 194 lbs, Corvo is 6', 205 lbs, and Nieds is 6'1", 200 lbs (just a random sample of guys you listed). Ratchuk is 5'11", 177 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I really hope he pans out and I love watching him play, but he's got a long way to go before he can play at an NHL level. Putting 15 pounds or more of muscle onto a smallish frame isn't an easy task, and it's going to be next to impossible for him to play against NHL forwards if he can't bulk up to at least 190.

Old
09-04-2007, 01:23 PM
McNasty

I'm not concerned about Ratchuks weight because hes on a weight training program at MSU, he knows what he needs to do and I'm sure the Flyers are monitoring his strength training.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
There's a difference between a smaller NHL defeseman and where Ratchuk is now. Timonen is listed at 5'10", 194 lbs, Corvo is 6', 205 lbs, and Nieds is 6'1", 200 lbs (just a random sample of guys you listed). Ratchuk is 5'11", 177 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I really hope he pans out and I love watching him play, but he's got a long way to go before he can play at an NHL level. Putting 15 pounds or more of muscle onto a smallish frame isn't an easy task, and it's going to be next to impossible for him to play against NHL forwards if he can't bulk up to at least 190.
Fair points, but all those guys who are now 190-210 at 5'10" (and I include Scott Niedermayer in that group, there is no way he's 6'1") were all 170-180 when they were drafted.

Ratchuk's going to need another year of college after this one, then a year or two with the Phantoms - so he has lots of time to fill out, probably three full years.

No need to rush him. If he can step into the Flyer lineup in 2010-11 then he's progressing along nicely.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
MojoJojo

Uh, Niedermeyer is not a small defenseman. He's fast, but that doesnt mean he's small.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Fair points, but all those guys who are now 190-210 at 5'10" (and I include Scott Niedermayer in that group, there is no way he's 6'1") were all 170-180 when they were drafted.

Ratchuk's going to need another year of college after this one, then a year or two with the Phantoms - so he has lots of time to fill out, probably three full years.

No need to rush him. If he can step into the Flyer lineup in 2010-11 then he's progressing along nicely.
I agree, he can develop nicely in college and the AHL if we don't rush him. I just think people are drooling over his potential so much that they're seriously overlooking some substantial obstacles he's going to have to overcome, while we have guys on the list like Lars Johnsson who have professional experience and are pretty much at the NHL level already.