HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets vs. Avs

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Mack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
Jackets vs. Avs

Top 6 are back.
Abby is in net.
the Jackets are not doing too well

hmmm blow out????

Old
01-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Stastny

Send a message via AIM to Stastny
Don't get overconfident. ::Achem::Minnesota::Achem::

Old
01-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Foppa

This is the kind of game I always get the bad feeling we'll end up losing like 2-1...

Old
01-06-2004, 04:50 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
This is the kind of game I always get the bad feeling we'll end up losing like 2-1...
Agree. Lets not get ahead of ourself. Everybody can beat everybody in NHL, and if Colorado gets out and think the game is already over, they might as well blow it. They have to go out with a serious attitude. Kariya has had a long layoff so i dont expect so much from him today.

I hope Granato makes them ready.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Foppa

Spectacular...3 penalties within a 20 second period early in the game and a 0-0 score at the first intermission.

Kariya does lead all Avs forwards in ice time though...6:54 in the first frame.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Foppa

Okay...things heading towards normalcy.

Blake and Hinote with goals two minutes into the 2nd period.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Jim Cummins is hurt....nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old
01-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Mack

how?

and its 4-0 avs with 3 mins left.

GO AVS!

abby made like 30 plus saves

Old
01-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I believe a neck injury concerning Cummins.

It's 6-0 Colorado; Sakic and Worrell scored goals within a span of 17 seconds.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Yayo

Columbus put up 35 shots tonight. Were any of them good scoring chances?

Old
01-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Columbus put up 35 shots tonight. Were any of them good scoring chances?
They had a few good scoring chances, nothing like Brathwaite had to face for Columbus. The Avs could have had 9 or 10 goals tonight. Forsberg had 2 two-on-ones in a single shift and couldn't get one past Freddie.

I went to the Panther-Blue Jacket game on Saturday and Luongo made 40+ saves in his shutout of Columbus. The Blue Jackets haven't scored on their past 80+ shots. Luongo had a much tougher shutout than Aebi, IMO.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Mack

6-0 id say thats a blow out.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Zodiac

Worrell with another goal.

Great to see all the lines getting in on the scoring. Abby with another shutout. Kariya gets a goal his first game back. Gotta love it.

Since the Avs usually play better after Xmas ...lets hope this continues.

Last edited by Zodiac: 01-07-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

They said Cummins was out with a sore Back.

The Avs dominated this game. I just hope for the Jackets sake that Sydor doesn't miss any time, and the other player who left in the first.....can get back on the ice soon.

Worrel's skating has been better recently. He is a little faster, although he is still slow, but he has a very good game. Nice shot when he can get it off, and he made some good passes today. Pretty decent trade by Lacroix if he can pick up a good player in the draft this year.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:02 PM
fcbarcelona

you know what's sad....

i think the refs called many penalties against the avs just to keep the game close. what kind of league would allow that to happen....oh yeah, a cheap ass one! IDIOT NHL MANAGEMENT.

lol, if i was commish for a day I would:

a) eliminate instigator
b) eliminate red line except on icing
c) push net back 2 feet
d) allow for penalties to last the full duration
e) reward teams for wins with three points in regulation and 2 in OT

funny thing about the last point. many traditionalists fear the point standings will be far too greatly affected with this new points reward system but the system became screwed when the NHL awarded teams for losing in OT! if ur gonna screw up something, you might as well go all out!

Old
01-06-2004, 08:21 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Why are Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya not playing together?

Don't give me the bit about evening out the scoring; these two are magic. Give your head a shake, Tony.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:29 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Why are Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya not playing together?

Don't give me the bit about evening out the scoring; these two are magic. Give your head a shake, Tony.
i think kariya has better chemistry with sakic and putting selanne on a line with them only hinders the effectiveness between these two players as they may feel implicated in passing the puck to teemu every now and then. when kono is on that line, his main concern is crashing the net and creating more room for kariya and sakic (something selanne maybe hasn't shown a penchant for doing) its a pretty simplistic view but i honestly believe selanne would be better served on the third line where all scoring opportunities would go through him. plus, the chemistry between selanne and kariya i think is a thing of the past. take my view with a grain of salt though as i haven't watched the avs that closely this season. sucks NOT having center ice! BOO HOO!

FYI, I am so happy Selanne is an Av. He's a hero here in Winnipeg and I can't believe I actually got to meet him. Plus, he's an Av/Nord killer. He has scored some huge goals against this franchise (including his record goal for most goals by a RW in his rookie season) so its best that he's on our team. i also believe that if the avs win the cup, he'll be the conn smyth winner.

Last edited by fcbarcelona: 01-06-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old
01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Jeri -

When Kariya and Selanne were on the ice, they looked much better than the Kariya - Sakic - Konowalchuk trio. Selanne set Kariya up with an absolutely beautiful pass.....I say put Kono on the third line but give him PP time as a 4th forward/ scratching a d-man off the line like they did tonight. If that doesn't work, give it to the man with the most chemistry, which in my opinion is Selanne.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:56 PM
nathan

It's likely that Granato is testing lines out right now. I saw a Forsberg-Sakic-Tanguay combo that led to the 5th goal.
From that, possibly Kariya-Nikolishin-Hejduk. I seriously doubt Hejduk is bumped to the 3rd line.

It does seem that Selanne has been/is in Granato's doghouse. With his dwindling ice time and benching last month. Perhaps it was Kariya's return that saved him somewhat from that.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:36 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Jeri -

When Kariya and Selanne were on the ice, they looked much better than the Kariya - Sakic - Konowalchuk trio. Selanne set Kariya up with an absolutely beautiful pass.....I say put Kono on the third line but give him PP time as a 4th forward/ scratching a d-man off the line like they did tonight. If that doesn't work, give it to the man with the most chemistry, which in my opinion is Selanne.
thx for the info man. without watching the avs on TV, i feel like a blind man trying to run through a mine field

Old
01-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
It's likely that Granato is testing lines out right now. I saw a Forsberg-Sakic-Tanguay combo that led to the 5th goal.
From that, possibly Kariya-Nikolishin-Hejduk. I seriously doubt Hejduk is bumped to the 3rd line.

It does seem that Selanne has been/is in Granato's doghouse. With his dwindling ice time and benching last month. Perhaps it was Kariya's return that saved him somewhat from that.
You're right, there was a lot of mixing and matching in that third period. I noticed Tanguay getting a lot of time on a make shift third line, and I even saw a line of Forsberg, Nikolishin, and Worrell, and it wasn't in the middle of a change either since Sakic, Kariya, and Selanne had a shift together before that, and it wasn't so that Niko could be out there for a faceoff, since it was on the fly. I wonder what Tony G was thinking on that one?

Old
01-07-2004, 05:06 AM
DarioinDenver

I think it's more a matter of rewarding Kono than anything else. With his play he's deserved to be on the second line. I'm sure Selanne and Kariya will get plenty of shifts.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Gumballhead

I am pretty sure Cummins got hurt on a play where he went into the boards awkwardly after losing an edge. I remember seeing one of our guys go careening into the wall and it looked ugly, and how relieved I was when I saw it was only Cummins.

One player who was solid again last night, and has been impressing me of late, was Steve Moore. He's very defensively responsible, almost always makes the right play fundamentally, and had some nice offensive sequences here and there. I think with he, McCormick and Hahl, we've really got some solid grinders for the future.

Worrell still looks very slow to me, particularly when he first tries to get going. I don't know if he's always had this lack of jump, or whether it's related to his knee problems, but I am guessing we have to get used to the fact that it takes him a few awkward strides to get going at any speed at all. But that's okay, if he were a good skater he might have to be outlawed -- the hit he put on Malholtra last night was nasty. He clearly has some offensive skill, and enjoys that part of the game, and I like him better than Parker already. I am just getting used to the fact that hitting people and chirping are more his game than the fighting part. His goading of Henry the other night in Minnesota is exactly the kind of thing that makes him valuable. It was classy of Tony to give him a lot of ice time, and some shifts with Forsberg. He also is good for a quote; he said the last time he had to score a goal twice for it to count was in Playstation. hahaha.

I am not expecting a letdown next game. Even though the Avs dominated most of the game against Columbus, I am pretty sure a lot of Avs felt they could play better. I also think McCormick and Larsen will be back in the lineup and will bring some energy.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:26 AM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
I am just getting used to the fact that hitting people and chirping are more his game than the fighting part.
That's exactly why I think Worrell is a lot more valuable to the Avs than Parker. Parker was a very good fighter but that's about all he could do. He couldn't find people in order to hit them, he was too much of a gentleman fighter to get under their skin, he didn't goad opponents into penalties, and he didn't contribute offensively. Worrell isn't as good of a fighter but he does throw bombs when it comes to checking, he pisses opponents off and draws penalties, and he has been able to contribute a little bit offensively so far.

I think Worrell is a big upgrade over Parker when it comes to adding value to the hockey team. He isn't as good a fighter but he adds lots of value everywhere else is spite of his relatively poor skating skills.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:27 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
One player who was solid again last night, and has been impressing me of late, was Steve Moore. He's very defensively responsible, almost always makes the right play fundamentally, and had some nice offensive sequences here and there. I think with he, McCormick and Hahl, we've really got some solid grinders for the future.
I have always been high on Steve Moore ever since his call-up two seasons ago. He understands the game brilliantly(a graduate from Harvard, go figure) and despite not a superb skill package or set of wheels, he always makes the right play. He also delivers some pretty solid hits both while forechecking and in our own zone. I value him higher than Travis Brigley, Peter Worrell and Jim Cummins easily.

The thing is... I'm very high on Riku Hahl as well, as people know. We have a great set of bottom six that people simply do not know about and it will pay dividends as the season progresses into the playoffs.

Konowalchuk - Nikolishin - Hinote
Worrell/McCormick - Hahl - Moore

Riku and Moore can both be switched as well, with Riku to the left and Cody to the right. They can all play different positions.

I see absolutely no need for *one* of Jim Cummins or Chris McAllister right now. Cummins is a better hockey player, but McAllister has defense experience and can log six-seven minutes as a sixth defenseman if desperately needed. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Cummins was released or put on waivers.

Closed Thread