Notices

Two-a-days

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 04:48 AM
hubofhockey

vCash: 500
Two-a-days

LF'ers -- Sullivan put the lads through a double session on Monday. The coach is finding his ``Iron Mike'' within.
Whaddya think: could it all be explained away as they're just not in good enuf shape?

kpd/hoh

Old
01-06-2004, 04:57 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
carrot didn't work..

trying the stick ?

although the guys didn't seem to view it as punishment according to the piece in the Globe.. so.... maybe they are just "thick" as my old man would say...

I would think that any team that is playing 3o games in 60 plus days should be in game shape physically...the brain however ?

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ng_for_bruins/

BOSTON STRONG !!!

Last edited by Gee Wally: 01-06-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Old
01-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
LF'ers -- Sullivan put the lads through a double session on Monday. The coach is finding his ``Iron Mike'' within.
Whaddya think: could it all be explained away as they're just not in good enuf shape?

kpd/hoh
How much working out do these guys do besides the standard one hour practice anyhow? I read that they ride a stationary bike and the like. What else? To compete at their level, I'd expect some weight training and some additional aerobic workouts besides icetime.

Conditioning is hugely important, but a double session in practice is only partially about fitness. It's about punishment as well.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:05 AM
orrthegreatest

Coach Mike Sullivan, at times visibly displeased, decided to skate the team in a double session, a rarity that left many players scratching their heads, wondering when that had last happened. Some believed it went back to the Pat Burns era.

The B's have earned five of a possible eight points in their past four games, but they still haven't been able to shake their inconsistent ways, thus earning them some added practice time. And there didn't seem to be a whole lot of light moments in the two-hour skate.

``I'm not happy,'' Sullivan said. ``We've got to be more consistent and there are things out there that we can control that will allow us to do that.''
(quote from Boston Herald)

Old
01-06-2004, 05:16 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
You go Sully....I'd skate them until they puked...

Old
01-06-2004, 05:21 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrthegreatest
Coach Mike Sullivan, at times visibly displeased, decided to skate the team in a double session, a rarity that left many players scratching their heads, wondering when that had last happened. Some believed it went back to the Pat Burns era.

The B's have earned five of a possible eight points in their past four games, but they still haven't been able to shake their inconsistent ways, thus earning them some added practice time. And there didn't seem to be a whole lot of light moments in the two-hour skate.

``I'm not happy,'' Sullivan said. ``We've got to be more consistent and there are things out there that we can control that will allow us to do that.''
(quote from Boston Herald)
Good for Sullivan. You play well and give your best effort every night things like this wont happen. You give half ass'd efforts you should earn the rest of your paycheck through practices like this.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:50 AM
hubofhockey

Just for the record: When Keenan took 'em over at the end of October that year, he doubled-'em. He was convinced that they were way out of shape.

kpd/hoh

Old
01-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Just for the record: When Keenan took 'em over at the end of October that year, he doubled-'em. He was convinced that they were way out of shape.

kpd/hoh
Funny KPD, there was another thing that Keenan said when he came in that TOTALLY reminds me of this team. He mentioned how few players on the team he inherited really lacked an NHL shot and I remember him working them like crazy to develop their shots. When I look at this team I see the exact same thing. Difference is we have guys who have proven NHL shots and they just arent getting good shots off. Murray, Knuble, even Rolston and Joe. I dont think every effort is put in to every shot that is taken. Too much perimeter BS that makes you say at the end of the night....hey we had 30 shots....who cares? Shoot like you want to score...and on many nights this team doesnt.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:56 AM
SToMper!

To me, all the double practice sessions & strategy meetings aren't gonna do bunk. To read Knuble's comments in the Globe, " getting back to basics.......thought it was productive........gotta be consistent......we need to be out there longer" It's all talk....they have to WANT to win, they need to rediscover that pride of being a Bruin. Maybe Cam Neeley night will be looked on a little more than a pre-game delay......and a reason to WANT to win.
That's my $.02, and I'll have a large coffee with my poutine.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:01 AM
hubofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Funny KPD, there was another thing that Keenan said when he came in that TOTALLY reminds me of this team. He mentioned how few players on the team he inherited really lacked an NHL shot and I remember him working them like crazy to develop their shots. When I look at this team I see the exact same thing. Difference is we have guys who have proven NHL shots and they just arent getting good shots off. Murray, Knuble, even Rolston and Joe. I dont think every effort is put in to every shot that is taken. Too much perimeter BS that makes you say at the end of the night....hey we had 30 shots....who cares? Shoot like you want to score...and on many nights this team doesnt.
B-20 -- Good memory. Agreed.
Murray is the one driving me crazy. He finds his way to a hole, Joe hits him with a good pass, and he lets go a good shot (higher would be better with all the butterfly guys, but a good shot, most of the time). Then what? He just STANDS THERE AND WATCHES! Shoot and move. Shoot and move. Follow it to the net, or at least drift to the sideboards, in hopes that it will sail around the boards--especially on the PP. Only 1 in every, oh, 2.678 millon actually come back to where you let it go.
Otherwise, guys in front, aronnd the crease (the rare time they fight for that position), don't get their sticks free. Of couse, to get your stick free, you typically have to work over the d-man next to you, by brute force or a well-placed elbow, leverage, whatever...but, no fight.
No. 1 -- Shoot it like you mean it.
No. 2 -- Go to the net with a mission.
Very little of any of that.

kpd/hoh

Old
01-06-2004, 06:10 AM
DFENS44

In the OLDE days

A true coach would have started the first session by having the boys put their sticks in a pile"You're not going to need them..." Then the fun would begin.
I think what this team needs is an identity, a way of feeling about themselves that can carry through to the games. With so many transient coaches, and different philosophies, no wonder the players don't know what's up. It's like in school when you had that substitute teacher, you knew they were going to be out in a couple of days, so what did you care?
I hope this is Sullivan's way of drawing a line in the ice, and hoping the boys step to it like men.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:19 AM
TheBigBadB

blah..blah..talk..talk...stop with the getting back to basics crap...look where it has got them so far..How about just plain old effort...ever hear of that?!...and if that doesnt work...maybe players need to be traded..they cant continue with a strong effort once every two weeks..it has to be every night!!

Old
01-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
B-20 -- Good memory. Agreed.
Murray is the one driving me crazy. He finds his way to a hole, Joe hits him with a good pass, and he lets go a good shot (higher would be better with all the butterfly guys, but a good shot, most of the time). Then what? He just STANDS THERE AND WATCHES! Shoot and move. Shoot and move. Follow it to the net, or at least drift to the sideboards, in hopes that it will sail around the boards--especially on the PP. Only 1 in every, oh, 2.678 millon actually come back to where you let it go.
Otherwise, guys in front, aronnd the crease (the rare time they fight for that position), don't get their sticks free. Of couse, to get your stick free, you typically have to work over the d-man next to you, by brute force or a well-placed elbow, leverage, whatever...but, no fight.
No. 1 -- Shoot it like you mean it.
No. 2 -- Go to the net with a mission.
Very little of any of that.

kpd/hoh
I would almost say outside of Lapointe no one goes to the net hard. It is a HUGE problem.

I think one problem with Murray not following his shot is that he has developed a terrible habit of falling on his arse after half of his one timers. Rolston is another frustrating one. How often does this guy get off good hard shots aside from the point on the PP? And Thornton.....are you, KPD, aware of any shoulder injury that would limit his shot?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:25 AM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
I would almost say outside of Lapointe no one goes to the net hard. It is a HUGE problem.

I think one problem with Murray not following his shot is that he has developed a terrible habit of falling on his arse after half of his one timers. Rolston is another frustrating one. How often does this guy get off good hard shots aside from the point on the PP? And Thornton.....are you, KPD, aware of any shoulder injury that would limit his shot?
They dont call him Whisled Wide Rolston for nothing!

And your right...no one crashes the net anymore...even Knuble has stopped that...at this point they should be so hungry for a victory that they should be toppling over the goalie...but this team has a new indentity and its called a lack of team effort..thats the one thing I see constant now...

Old
01-06-2004, 06:27 AM
hubofhockey

Quote:

B

B-20 -- NOt aware of a shoulder issue, although I did see Kirk's last note on the subject.
May or may not be a clue, but his shot TOTALS have been fairly steady, in some cases higher than normal, per game. And from my own experience with bad shoulders, the pain is hard to mask--I haven't even seen a wince from him.
Virtually across the board, they are the Stepford Skaters. Awful to watch.
kpd/hoh

Old
01-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:

If Bergeron is the leading cadidate for the 7th Player Award, Murray is the leading candidate for the Steve "Zamboni Ass" Heinze award.

In all seriousness, though, it's sad when a small-ish (at least by NHL standards) kid in Bergeron can crash the net with greater authority than our 'power' forwards Thornton, Murray, and Knuble. Even when Allison was injured with his wrist he would cause more havoc than those three do together. I think this team needs a heart transplant, stat.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Mike B.

Interesting comment about Murray and going to the net.

Murray USED to be good at that. Last year and the year before, he got a number of goals by following his shot. In a breakaway or 2 on 1 situation, I always liked the way he would go to the net and stop in front of the goalie rather than shooting and cruising by the net.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Flushed

I've noticed throughout the season that players like Thornton, Murray, Jillson and Gill to name a few have been flushed...and that their counterparts on other teams have not been. Boynton has been gasping for breath more than he should ideally. On the other hand, Lapointe Rolston, Axe, and Green (for example) always look ready to go even on the ends of their shifts. I'm not trying to say that some are trying harder or that some are in better shape...but the difference in the average opponent's shape and ours is very noticeable.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
They dont call him Whisled Wide Rolston for nothing!

And your right...no one crashes the net anymore...even Knuble has stopped that...at this point they should be so hungry for a victory that they should be toppling over the goalie...but this team has a new indentity and its called a lack of team effort..thats the one thing I see constant now...
Was Bergeron knocking Theodore and net over about a month ago the ONLY time the Bruins have knocked the other team's net off the moorings?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I've noticed throughout the season that players like Thornton, Murray, Jillson and Gill to name a few have been flushed...and that their counterparts on other teams have not been. Boynton has been gasping for breath more than he should ideally. On the other hand, Lapointe Rolston, Axe, and Green (for example) always look ready to go even on the ends of their shifts. I'm not trying to say that some are trying harder or that some are in better shape...but the difference in the average opponent's shape and ours is very noticeable.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the sometimes ridiculously short shifts I see sometimes. We dont line match usually so I have to wonder about the short shifting. I dont mean at the end of the third period when you want to keep everyone fresh, I mean in the middle of the first when our top line takes a 30 second shift.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:49 AM
misterjaggers

The fans deserve sixty minutes of effort every night, even if the team assembled has no hope of contending.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:52 AM
OV

Quote:

kpd/hoh

Getting the workouts started in earnest is one step. Getting the well placed/timed benchings is step two. Sullivan isn't Kasper, and Thornton isn't Neely. If the workouts aren't the wakeup call, then the pine has to be next.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Pielsman

(From Mike B) Interesting comment about Murray and going to the net.

Murray USED to be good at that. Last year and the year before, he got a number of goals by following his shot. In a breakaway or 2 on 1 situation, I always liked the way he would go to the net and stop in front of the goalie rather than shooting and cruising by the net.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said. Looks like Murray is developing a severe case of "Zamboni-Arse". Usually persons afflicted with this malady fall on thier duffs every time the puck gets near them (see; Steve Heinze). -Piels

(oops, I see Nightslayr has beaten me to the punch re- Zamboni-Arse.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piels
(From Mike B) Interesting comment about Murray and going to the net.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said. Looks like Murray is developing a severe case of "Zamboni-Arse". Usually persons afflicted with this malady fall on thier duffs every time the puck gets near them (see; Steve Heinze). -Piels

(oops, I see Nightslayr has beaten me to the punch re- Zamboni-Arse.
At least Murray hasn't tripped over the blueline like Heinze used to. That thing can be tricky to climb over, apparently.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:13 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
B

B-20 -- NOt aware of a shoulder issue, although I did see Kirk's last note on the subject.
May or may not be a clue, but his shot TOTALS have been fairly steady, in some cases higher than normal, per game. And from my own experience with bad shoulders, the pain is hard to mask--I haven't even seen a wince from him.
Virtually across the board, they are the Stepford Skaters. Awful to watch.
kpd/hoh
He's getting about the same number of shots, but his shooting percentage is half what it was last year.

Closed Thread