HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Playoff Hangover ?

Old
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
edmonton_ice

vCash: 500
Playoff Hangover ?

I hope the Senators get back the Stanley Cup Finals after losing to the Ducks. I think they will learn and finally win it. I cheer for the Oilers first and the Sens second. It was tough being an Oiler fan I hope the Sens rip it up and get back to SCF. The fans and the City deserve it. I can't cheer for Leafs and I hate the ducks for obviously reasons so GO SENS!

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Sens Rule

I am still dryheaving and have a headache from consoling myself after the Sens were beaten by the Ducks. Damn playoff hangover.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 10:56 PM
The Fuhr

Sens are overrated

Heatley leaches of Spezza for his goals.
Spezza leaches of Heatley for his assists.
They are just average players leaching off each other.

Alfredsson was good but after seven years of progressing production he regressed last season. A sign he is at the tail end of his career.

Redden is the worst defenseman in the NHL to lead a team in ice time. Meszaros has also regressed to an AHL level defenseman.

Phillips and Volchenkov get way to much praise for there defensive work. Blocking shots, anyone with half a brain can stand in front of a puck. They will be exposed this season.

Emery is to flamboyant to be a good goalie, his team carries him and he never has had to steal a game his entire career. All shots are from 35 feet out or unscreened. And his rebound control, wow, see the hundreds of rebound goals he let in last season?

To many question marks to even think about making the playoffs.

Sens are so doomed.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
OttawaGM

I hope they either start the year on a losing streak or come out with the workman like effort they had in the playoffs. If they win too many games too easily I think they'll have problems later on.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Pangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Sens are overrated

Alfredsson was good but after seven years of progressing production he regressed last season. A sign he is at the tail end of his career.

Redden is the worst defenseman in the NHL to lead a team in ice time. Meszaros has also regressed to an AHL level defenseman.

Phillips and Volchenkov get way to much praise for there defensive work. Blocking shots, anyone with half a brain can stand in front of a puck. They will be exposed this season.

Emery is to flamboyant to be a good goalie, his team carries him and he never has had to steal a game his entire career. All shots are from 35 feet out or unscreened. And his rebound control, wow, see the hundreds of rebound goals he let in last season?

Sens are so doomed.
That came out of nowhere... I think

While we haven't lost as many players as the Oilers did, we could still have a playoff hangover. Seems to happen quite often. Hopefully we don't.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:25 AM
SensFan_19

Quote:
Sens are overrated

Sens are so doomed.
Heatley is an elite player in the NHL thats now entering his prime. Its scary to think how good this guy is going to be in the coming years. He hasn't missed a single game since becoming a Senator and getting two straight 50 goal/100 point seasons, that speaks for itself.

Spezza is only 23 going on 24. He still hasn't even hit his prime yet and already he's a superstar. His puck distribution not only makes him and Heatley one of the best duos in the league, but he's a wizard on the powerplay.

If any of the 29 other teams had a chance at these two, they would drool all over themselves.

Alfredsson and Redden are the heart and soul of the team. They've been there since the start of their careers as well as every playoff game the Ottawa franchise has ever had (except for a few Redden missed in 06 because his mother passed away). Alffy's numbers went down last year because he (and the whole team) got off to a slow start. When he got going, there was no turning back. Redden I'll admit had an off year and I hope its just injuries. He is a proven top defensemen.

Our defensive corp was one of the best last season. They were +66 and they were one of the top offensive corp. You wanna say anyone can block shots like Volchenkov? You didn't follow the team last year then and you didn't see or hear about the scars, cuts, blue bumps and broken bones he had blocking shots. THATS HEART!

Emery is too flamboyant? Why should it matter how a person is off the ice? On the ice, he does what he has to do. I can go back last season to november/december and pin point to you where Emery saved the season last year. He's stolen dozens of games last season including one against Detroit in december where he made 45 saves and many of them in spectacular fashion. He's young and he's only going to get better.

So the Sens are not overrated, they are for real.

/rant

SensFan_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Gus Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan_19 View Post
Heatley is an elite player in the NHL thats now entering his prime. Its scary to think how good this guy is going to be in the coming years. He hasn't missed a single game since becoming a Senator and getting two straight 50 goal/100 point seasons, that speaks for itself.

Spezza is only 23 going on 24. He still hasn't even hit his prime yet and already he's a superstar. His puck distribution not only makes him and Heatley one of the best duos in the league, but he's a wizard on the powerplay.

If any of the 29 other teams had a chance at these two, they would drool all over themselves.

Alfredsson and Redden are the heart and soul of the team. They've been there since the start of their careers as well as every playoff game the Ottawa franchise has ever had (except for a few Redden missed in 06 because his mother passed away). Alffy's numbers went down last year because he (and the whole team) got off to a slow start. When he got going, there was no turning back. Redden I'll admit had an off year and I hope its just injuries. He is a proven top defensemen.

Our defensive corp was one of the best last season. They were +66 and they were one of the top offensive corp. You wanna say anyone can block shots like Volchenkov? You didn't follow the team last year then and you didn't see or hear about the scars, cuts, blue bumps and broken bones he had blocking shots. THATS HEART!

Emery is too flamboyant? Why should it matter how a person is off the ice? On the ice, he does what he has to do. I can go back last season to november/december and pin point to you where Emery saved the season last year. He's stolen dozens of games last season including one against Detroit in december where he made 45 saves and many of them in spectacular fashion. He's young and he's only going to get better.

/rant
I think your sarcasm detector is broken

Gus Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:39 AM
SensFan_19

I live in Toronto, its a natural reaction

SensFan_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:04 AM
freakin

Fuhr is a closet Leafs fan, I knew it.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Gus Fring

Quote:
I live in Toronto, its a natural reaction
I can only imagine your pain

Gus Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Romans12_12

Quote:
Sens are overrated

Sens are so doomed.
/applaudes Fuhr

Wow im impressed you finally are starting to piece it all together. You know Fuhr, with a little more straight thinking like this, I believe you and I could actually be friends.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 07:38 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:

/rant

I suppose I could have used one of to end my post.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 08:11 AM
southhampton

I have a little hangover. I think the east is going to be much more competitive this year and the sens will have a tougher time with it, that being said i think the sens are good enough to get there again.

southhampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 08:56 AM
DaveMatthew

I doubt our hangover will be any worse than the start to our season last year... I've already registered the firepaddock.com domain name...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
I doubt our hangover will be any worse than the start to our season last year... I've already registered the firepaddock.com domain name...
Why stop there? Let's put our collective bank accounts together and make a bid to buy the team.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
edmonton_ice

Exposed Weakness ?

Did the Anheim ducks expose their defensive weakness and now there is going to be alot of pressure for the defensive corps to step up ?

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 10:07 AM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
Did the Anheim ducks expose their defensive weakness and now there is going to be alot of pressure for the defensive corps to step up ?
We had defensive weaknesses all year and the coaching staff had to change our forwards on the PK to be more aggressive on the points to cover up the problems in front of the net. Only one of our pairings could consistently clear the front of the net leading to many goals against. Redden/Meszaros and Corvo/Preissing were way too small to move anyone out. Hopefully we pick up 1 more 'bigger' d to take Preissing's spot, or have Schubert emerge as a legit top 6 D that can clear the net.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 10:19 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton_ice View Post
Yup. The book is out on Ottawa's defence. Anaheim showed that all you need to beat them is have forwards that are 6-4, 220 pounds, that can great speed and skilled hands, supplemented by a transition defence lead by two former Norris winners, and, you can easily exploit Ottawa's D. That formula will be duplicated by all teams that play Ottawa, who will use those players they have on their roster to duplicate what Anaheim did.

I'm sure this will come to a relief to all of those players that have that unique combination of size, skill and speed, that for so long have had a tough time making themselves useful to their teams, since they are a dime-a-dozen players, which could easily be acquired.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
SNAPshot

Quote:

I suppose I could have used one of to end my post.
I was completely stunned. LOL

Even if I wanted to write up a post with such sarcastic comments, my pride could not take writing such words about my team even if they are untrue!

About the hangover, I think the guys are still hungry and the core is intact. I don't expect to fly away with the presidents trophy, but I see us battling hard because we are the team to beat in the east. Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Buffalo all have a sour taste in their mouths they'll want to get rid of.

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 10:52 AM
discostu

On the original topic, I think this team will some issues staying focused. The driving force for this team often has been to dispprove that they were playoff chokers. They did that pretty soundly. THey still have more to go, but, a lot of that pressure has been relieved.

Working in their favour though, in terms of keeping that edge, is that there is a new coach, who will be trying to put his own fingerprints on the team. There are so many guys in contract years, that will have that to play for. There's also a number of rookies looking to make the team. Having that youth presence, of a guy fighting to keep his spot in the NHL, brings an infectious energy to the team.

I also think this team does not want to repeat the start of the year it had last year. I'm sure the first two months of the season was a miserable experience for them. They know how close people were to getting traded, or fired. It's not something that they'll be looking to duplicate.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:03 AM
5H4RK5

Just get a lot of rest and drink your fluids.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:27 AM
SpezDispenser

I was thinking about the 'hangover' effect the last week or so, and it would be natural for the Sens to come out a little slow. However, if there was ever a time for guys like Redden and Phillips and Alfie and Heatley etc. etc. etc. to come out gunning, it would be now. They have it in their hands to complete what they started, so I actually think they'll be pretty pumped up.

On that note, I don't think we'll see too many back to back games from the veterans/superstars in pre-season.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:40 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

I find teams that suffer from the so-called 'hangover' effect, are teams that really surprised everyone that season and came back to reality the following year. We've been a top 5-6 team for the better part of 6-7 seasons IMO, even though the results don't show it. Teams were gunning for us previously or 'got-up' for us as an opponent. I don't see why it would be changed now.

There aren't that many questions marks coming into this season, at least on the ice. There are a few open spots, but essentially, the defence is set, goaltending is obviously set and there are 2 open spots up front with 3-4 capable players able to fill those roles.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Chili

I think alot of teams suffer from a playoff hangover especially the teams who make the finals including the ones who win.

The Flyers were another example last year. The Sabres embarrassed them in the playoffs and it seemed like there was a carry over.

No idea how the Sens will react...a new coach might be a good thing in that regard.

A short memory would be a good thing.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 12:14 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I find teams that suffer from the so-called 'hangover' effect, are teams that really surprised everyone that season and came back to reality the following year. We've been a top 5-6 team for the better part of 6-7 seasons IMO, even though the results don't show it. Teams were gunning for us previously or 'got-up' for us as an opponent. I don't see why it would be changed now.

There aren't that many questions marks coming into this season, at least on the ice. There are a few open spots, but essentially, the defence is set, goaltending is obviously set and there are 2 open spots up front with 3-4 capable players able to fill those roles.
Well said. Detroit did ok after they lost to NJ in the finals and the Sens are pretty much in their position. Good team that has had high expectations for years, gets so close to the goal and starts over.
Personally though, I'd like to see everyone get a little more rest throughout the year. Alfie even admitted that resting mid season was good for him last year and it might be worth resting a "big gun" every once and a while. Not necessarily all at once, but somewhat akin to how teams play their backup against weaker teams.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote