HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby draft question

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Lost Kangaroo

vCash: 500
Crosby draft question

Heres a hypathetical, lets say Pit comes in last place this season, and they win the lottery to pick first in the draft. A probable pick will be the Russian Ovechkin. Now lets say that CBA armagedon comes and there is no 04 - 05 season. How will they decide who picks first in the 05 draft? Will they use the same draft order, or maybe use the standings from this season, and redo the lottery?
If someone has the answer I would apreciate it. Either way the last place team (whoever they might be) is in a good position to possibly have two great draft years if there is no season.

by the way, I just used Pitt as an example so Penguin fans please don't get all upset.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Winston Wolf

Someone else posted that they would do a lottery and that all teams would have an equal shot at the 1st pick.

I'm not too sure, but that's what I've heard.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Brodeur

I don't think there is an answer quite yet from a legal standpoint, since the CBA defines most everything. If there isn't one in place......who knows?

Old
01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
BCCHL inactive

I'm not sure there can even be a draft if there is no CBA.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:14 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
I don't think there is an answer quite yet from a legal standpoint, since the CBA defines most everything. If there isn't one in place......who knows?
Would the new CBA define procedure for a lockout season then?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:28 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Would the new CBA define procedure for a lockout season then?
Lets hope that the new CBA (whenever it is established) does so. However, that won't help us for 2005.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Hell, it could turn out that by the time the next CBA is negociated, the 2005 draft won't even be happening because they will have bumped up the age or something. One thing you can guarantee: any advantages currently held by young and/or non-NHL players will be the first thing the NHLPA will give up in negociations, because they don't affect the players who are already members. Don't be shocked if there is a 20 year old age limit on the draft and rookie contracts can't admit all these huge bonuses.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
id rather one of the teams who finished last this year get it instead of the all teams lottery draft. i dont want detroit vancouver stlouis or dallas getting him.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:29 PM
RoyIsALegend*

*Dreaming*

Ovechkin - Crosby - Lemieux

Old
01-06-2004, 07:32 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
id rather one of the teams who finished last this year get it instead of the all teams lottery draft. i dont want detroit vancouver stlouis or dallas getting him.
...And it is fair that a team like Pittsburgh, Columbus, etc would get two top end draft picks based on one season's finish?

Without a season to decide the standings, the only fair way is to make an equal lottery for the entire league....if that could be agreed upon without a CBA is likely another story.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
...And it is fair that a team like Pittsburgh, Columbus, etc would get two top end draft picks based on one season's finish?

Without a season to decide the standings, the only fair way is to make an equal lottery for the entire league....if that could be agreed upon without a CBA is likely another story.
Exactly right. These players are supposed to be franchise players to boot. Getting two of them, not to mention having the highest draft picks in each round, could take a franchise to the upper echelon in a hurry.

Old
01-07-2004, 03:52 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I'm not sure there can even be a draft if there is no CBA.
Yeah, my guess is that with no CBA there will be no draft and then a double-crop for the next year (assuming the draft age isn't changed).

Old
01-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

do you think any of the top teams now will be so bad next year that they will have a chance at the first overall? i dont see what the big deal is. neither of our teams would have been even close anyways.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:09 AM
leafaholix*

To say that it would be a good idea to give the top pick in 2005 to the one of the three worst teams in the 2003/04 season doesn't make sense. That would give Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, etc... the opportunity the draft both Ovechkin and Crosby.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:17 AM
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
To say that it would be a good idea to give the top pick in 2005 to the one of the three worst teams in the 2003/04 season doesn't make sense. That would give Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, etc... the opportunity the draft both Ovechkin and Crosby.
and it makes sense to give him to one of the top teams in the nhl when in reality they wouldnt even have a chance at him in the first place.

if they do have a league wide lottery then the teams who sucked this year should get a better chance to get him. like they do in the normal lottery drafts

Old
01-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I think the best solution would be to cancelled the 2005 Draft and make a big one in 2006.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:32 AM

The Draft is covered under the CBA, so if there is no CBA effective, there would be no draft. If they came to agreement in time for the 2005 Draft, but not to save the season, they'd have to come up with something to address this situation. My guess would be if there is a CBA in place and the season is locked out, then they would lotto pick all the picks, but have similar situations where you could not move up more than 3 or spots in the draft based on the last seasons play.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:36 AM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Someone else posted that they would do a lottery and that all teams would have an equal shot at the 1st pick.

I'm not too sure, but that's what I've heard.
would be extremely funny to see colorado or detroit win it...

not sure it's the right thing to do thought.

Quote:
I think the best solution would be to cancelled the 2005 Draft and make a big one in 2006.

probably what's gonna happen

Old
01-07-2004, 06:46 AM
dats-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
*Dreaming*

Ovechkin - Crosby - Lemieux

Its unfortunate we won't have the honor to see the most-talented player currently in the NHL in 2006....

Old
01-07-2004, 02:57 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
do you think any of the top teams now will be so bad next year that they will have a chance at the first overall? i dont see what the big deal is. neither of our teams would have been even close anyways.
Personally, maybe Dallas. However, when dealing with these things, you cannot think theoretically, you have to think technically. With no 2004/05 season, the only technical fair way of determining a draft order (if a draft can even take place) is to run a lottery with all 30 teams having equal chances at the first overall pick because all 30 teams had an equal finish in the 2004/05 season.

Closed Thread