HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Yann Danis future?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
  #1
HABFAN1977
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Yann Danis future?

Why did Yan Danis sign a 1 year contract knowing that he would most likely be 2nd goalie for the bulldogs. He has definitly proven that he is starter material in the AHL, and possibly back up material in NHL (very questionable). My concern is that we are gonna loose him for nothing. Just like we lost Vokoun. Ok. He's not better then Halak, Price or Huet but he still signed with them anyways. Is Gainey planing to trade one of his star goalies? It would make sense if thats the case. That would leave Danis as the AHL Starter and Desjardin as his backup.

2) The habs don't have much Blockbuster trade value. The only guys that other teams would be interested in are the players that the habs don't want to loose. (ex, Higgins, Plekanec, Koivu, Markov, Komisarek). Ryder has a little value but not enough on his own to get an impact player (Kovalev hardly has any value). Plekanec may go if we get a center. (Plekanec, Halak, 2 rnd draft pick for a star center).
The best trade bait the Habs have is in net. They should do something about that soon before it's too late.

HABFAN1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:08 PM
  #2
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Depending on what happens in camp, I wouldn't be surprised to see Danis traded before Christmas to a team who's in need of a backup goaltender behind a workhorse goalie. San Jose, for instance if Patzold doesn't work out. Anaheim too, if they end up trading Bryzgalov.

Danis signed in Montreal because they owned his rights. He was an RFA. One year from now he'll be UFA and able to explore better opportunities than the Habs have been able to give him.

Sorry to tell you, but I doubt that any blockbuster trades will be happening for Montreal any time soon. They don't have the pieces that teams want, and would have to offer quantity instead of quality which is only generally acceptable when the incoming player(s) aren't wanted anymore. Think Thornton, Jack Johnson..

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:11 PM
  #3
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Danis just aint a good goalie. Last year he lost his job to Halak, then in the same season lost his job to Price. His stats in the AHL weren't too hot, and except for a few games in the start, he wasn't too good in the NHL either. And he's already like 25 or something...

I doubt anyone wants him.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2007, 11:49 PM
  #4
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,635
vCash: 1000
Starting goalie for the Canadiens this season!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
  #5
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Danis just aint a good goalie. Last year he lost his job to Halak, then in the same season lost his job to Price. His stats in the AHL weren't too hot, and except for a few games in the start, he wasn't too good in the NHL either. And he's already like 25 or something...

I doubt anyone wants him.
Remember how Théodore was playing before he was traded and how (in)capably Aebischer filled in for Huet last season? Neither was up to Danis' skate boots. Danis graduated from an Ivy League School, wasn't related to loan sharks, isn't drawing $5M+, and to the best of my knowledge doesn't use Propecia. Oh yes, he shut out the Thrashers in his first NHL game.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 12:55 AM
  #6
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Danis just aint a good goalie. Last year he lost his job to Halak, then in the same season lost his job to Price. His stats in the AHL weren't too hot, and except for a few games in the start, he wasn't too good in the NHL either. And he's already like 25 or something...

I doubt anyone wants him.
Halak was the best goaltender in the AHL last year, we all saw his great talent near the end of the season with the Habs.. Price is a future star, its wrote in the sky...

So saying Danis isnt a good goalie isnt the thruth, he just has 2 exceptional young goaltenders over him in the depth chart.. Im convinced the kid can be a good backup in the NHL, he is solid positionally, he is solid technically but when you are on the small side, you have to have something special, what Halak has and Danis hasnt..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 02:26 AM
  #7
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN1977 View Post
He has definitly proven that he is starter material in the AHL, and possibly back up material in NHL (very questionable).
I don't know about "very questionable." By all accounts his is fundamentally sound, and was very decent through 44 games with Hamilton. I would have predicted a career path similar to Mathieu Garon if it wasn't for the meteoric rise of one Carey Price and the tout-a-coup emergence of Halak as a reliable NHL backup.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
  #8
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,482
vCash: 500
I don't think we're in any danger of losing Danis. Nobody would even take him on waivers if they had the chance. Every team just has too many of their own guys in the pipeline, and Danis is getting to the age where he's not really looked at as a "prospect" anymore, but rather as a kind of journeyman depth guy. And everybody has plenty of options in that category too. He didn't really have any option but to re-sign with us. And I don't think he'll have any very different options next summer either (depending of course on how he performs this season, to some extent).

I think he's a good player for us to consider retaining longterm. I mean, there's a 1-season bump in the road likely this year, where he ends up backing up Halak or Price in Hamilton (although who really knows what might happen, either by injury or sudden unexpected reversals of fortune). But after that, he's a pretty clear #3. And possibly at some point Halak and Price just get too good to keep as a tandem. So the optics on Danis getting a shot in the NHL are probably better if he just stays the course and works hard in our system than they are of him catching on as a journeyman depth guy in another organisation. Until we draft some other hotshot goaltending prospect, anyway. (Where I discount Desjardins (perhaps unfairly) and Lacasse (I think quite fairly) as candidates to ever unseat him in the pecking order).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:51 AM
  #9
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,649
vCash: 500
none

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
  #10
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Ryder has little value. 2 time 30 goal scorers are not that abundant in the NHL. His salary isn't that high. If Price and Halak are #1 and #2 by mid season, Huet makes very good trade bait. A #1 guy whose salary isn't all that high. There is always a team out there looking to upgrade their #1 guy at mid season. At the start, every team has a true #1, but by Nov-Dec, that statement isn't so.

As for Danis, he just got past by two better goalies. Over the past two seasons, his play hasn't improved, in fact it went down some. I don't see a future for him in Mtl except as a minor leaguer to bring up the next #1 and/or emergency call-up.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
  #11
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Some people here don't remember how he played for us when he was recalled. He was very good! Come on! Give the guy some credit! Halak and Price are just better than him... He'll make a great backup goalie somewhere. if I were the GM of a team who have no goalie depth, I'd be trying to land him. If Huet is traded and Price is doing great, we still could trade Halak have Danis as a Backup wich wouldn't be terrible at all. Now that is depth! Good luck to you Yann.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:56 AM
  #12
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
I believe that Dannis is a backup goalie in the AHL maybe a starter in some desperate AHL teams but that's about it

If the Sharks only got a 7th rounder for Nolan Schafer, Dannis could probably bring a bag of puck or an overpaid useless player a la Samsonov

Stats in the last two year

05-06 2.97 .902
06-07 2.81 .905

Not really impressive there...maybe even Desjardins could steal his place

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
  #13
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Some people here don't remember how he played for us when he was recalled. He was very good! Come on! Give the guy some credit! Halak and Price are just better than him... He'll make a great backup goalie somewhere. if I were the GM of a team who have no goalie depth, I'd be trying to land him. If Huet is traded and Price is doing great, we still could trade Halak have Danis as a Backup wich wouldn't be terrible at all. Now that is depth! Good luck to you Yann.
Huh...

Price
Dannis
Desjardins
Lacasse

...

That's not depth anymore and it's not like we are going to trade a goaltender to make place for Dannis

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
  #14
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN1977 View Post
Why did Yan Danis sign a 1 year contract knowing that he would most likely be 2nd goalie for the bulldogs. He has definitly proven that he is starter material in the AHL, and possibly back up material in NHL (very questionable). My concern is that we are gonna loose him for nothing. Just like we lost Vokoun. Ok. He's not better then Halak, Price or Huet but he still signed with them anyways. Is Gainey planing to trade one of his star goalies? It would make sense if thats the case. That would leave Danis as the AHL Starter and Desjardin as his backup.

2) The habs don't have much Blockbuster trade value. The only guys that other teams would be interested in are the players that the habs don't want to loose. (ex, Higgins, Plekanec, Koivu, Markov, Komisarek). Ryder has a little value but not enough on his own to get an impact player (Kovalev hardly has any value). Plekanec may go if we get a center. (Plekanec, Halak, 2 rnd draft pick for a star center).
The best trade bait the Habs have is in net. They should do something about that soon before it's too late.
I am not sure if the waiver draft still exists, but if it's the case, I think several teams could gamble on him.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
  #15
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I hope that he does well, I have an autographed picture of him on my wall.. it might be worth something someday if he does anything at the NHL level.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 04:51 PM
  #16
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Huh...

Price
Dannis
Desjardins
Lacasse

...

That's not depth anymore and it's not like we are going to trade a goaltender to make place for Dannis
I said he will make a great backup somewhere not that we should make room for him! and in your list you forgot Huet who still plays for us as far as i am concerned so he should be included in the chart. so if you ask me, Huet, halak , price and danis seems like pretty good depth to me. We also invited a goalie with an anglophone name at the perfectionment camp earlier this summer who may be offered a contract since he looks pretty good too and got good words from the training staff. Someone remembers his name???

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 05:09 PM
  #17
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think we're in any danger of losing Danis. Nobody would even take him on waivers if they had the chance. Every team just has too many of their own guys in the pipeline, and Danis is getting to the age where he's not really looked at as a "prospect" anymore, but rather as a kind of journeyman depth guy. And everybody has plenty of options in that category too. He didn't really have any option but to re-sign with us. And I don't think he'll have any very different options next summer either (depending of course on how he performs this season, to some extent).

I think he's a good player for us to consider retaining longterm. I mean, there's a 1-season bump in the road likely this year, where he ends up backing up Halak or Price in Hamilton (although who really knows what might happen, either by injury or sudden unexpected reversals of fortune). But after that, he's a pretty clear #3. And possibly at some point Halak and Price just get too good to keep as a tandem. So the optics on Danis getting a shot in the NHL are probably better if he just stays the course and works hard in our system than they are of him catching on as a journeyman depth guy in another organisation. Until we draft some other hotshot goaltending prospect, anyway. (Where I discount Desjardins (perhaps unfairly) and Lacasse (I think quite fairly) as candidates to ever unseat him in the pecking order).
I agree 100 percent. Fans tend to think they can package surplus players into greater sum trades but the truth is most teams have at least a couple guys in the pipeline that would be as promising and higher in the pecking order.

It all seems puzzling to me, I wonder if he doesn't have some fatal flaw that keeps the scouts and managers looking the other way. He showed himself well in 05/06, good enough that I thought we'd see him again some day. Instead it looks like he'll be a footnote in the team's history, and a career AHL/ECHL player.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
  #18
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
I said he will make a great backup somewhere not that we should make room for him! and in your list you forgot Huet who still plays for us as far as i am concerned so he should be included in the chart. so if you ask me, Huet, halak , price and danis seems like pretty good depth to me. We also invited a goalie with an anglophone name at the perfectionment camp earlier this summer who may be offered a contract since he looks pretty good too and got good words from the training staff. Someone remembers his name???
Well you've mentionned trading Halak and Huet in your post

And Dannis is has not been good enough to be a starter in the AHL in the last two year, I don't see a he could be a NHL backup

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
  #19
HABitual Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
In all fairness, I think Danis has come to accept his role in the organization, he will probably never wear the big club's uniform again, and it would be the same with any other organization he went to given his age. He will be a veteran mentor to whichever young goalie iis the AHL starter. He will be able to give them games off, and fill in during injuries or calll-ups. He still can support his family, remain playing a game he loves, and eventually may garner the experience to be a goalie coach somewhere when he hangs them up. His role is that of a career AHLer much like Manlow, Baines etc...aiding in the development of the goalie prospects.
All that said, I can also see a situation where if the dominos fall in a certain way he may yet be in Montreal. If one of Price or Halak win the starters job in Montreal, and Huet gets dealt, the team may prefer the odd man out of Price and Halak playing
every night in Hamilton rather then warming the bench in Montreal and may give that role to Danis.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:02 PM
  #20
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 500
To be honest, I'm suprised he opted to stay with the organization. I'm still of the belief that he could be a good backup or at the very least a 3rd string on almost every team in the league. He'll likely get 20-30 games in Hamilton next year as it stands.

However a time will come where Gainey will have to consider trading Halak or let Huet go. Prehaps they want Danis to stick around for insurance.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
  #21
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN1977 View Post
Why did Yan Danis sign a 1 year contract knowing that he would most likely be 2nd goalie for the bulldogs. He has definitly proven that he is starter material in the AHL, and possibly back up material in NHL (very questionable). My concern is that we are gonna loose him for nothing. Just like we lost Vokoun. Ok. He's not better then Halak, Price or Huet but he still signed with them anyways. Is Gainey planing to trade one of his star goalies? It would make sense if thats the case. That would leave Danis as the AHL Starter and Desjardin as his backup.

2) The habs don't have much Blockbuster trade value. The only guys that other teams would be interested in are the players that the habs don't want to loose. (ex, Higgins, Plekanec, Koivu, Markov, Komisarek). Ryder has a little value but not enough on his own to get an impact player (Kovalev hardly has any value). Plekanec may go if we get a center. (Plekanec, Halak, 2 rnd draft pick for a star center).
The best trade bait the Habs have is in net. They should do something about that soon before it's too late.


I don't know why he signed with us. I was a bit surprised, although he did say he wanted to come back next year. Personally I think he would have been better off signing with another club, but I'm glad to have him back as it gives us a strong 1-2 punch in the nhl and ahl as well as having one of the top goalies in the ECHL. Plus Lacasse can take it easy as Desjardins backup, after seeing so much rubber this past season with Oshawa.

Danis seems like a great guy, everyone I've talked to that has talked with him always have nice things to say about him. But with Price and Halak in the system, he's going to really have to step up his game. The past two seasons he hasn't been as good as he was when he was a rookie in Hamilton, imo, he's had trouble with his consistency, so hopefully he can work on that this year in Hamilton. I wouldn't expect a trade for him as he likely has zero value and waivers shouldn't be a concern at all imo. Maybe next year he can try his luck with another team as he'll be a UFA and 27 years old.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:00 PM
  #22
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 500
Why do we have so many goaliiiiiies?!

One Trick Pony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 09:24 PM
  #23
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,120
vCash: 500
Elsewhere. If Michael Leighton went on waivers what, 3 times? 4? Then gets traded for a seventh rounder. Danis will hit waivers sooner or later and he might not clear them.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 09:12 AM
  #24
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know why he signed with us.
He had no choice, he was RFA. It was Montreal or Europe...

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
  #25
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Elsewhere. If Michael Leighton went on waivers what, 3 times? 4? Then gets traded for a seventh rounder. Danis will hit waivers sooner or later and he might not clear them.
And the impact would be? From the big club perspective, it wouldn't be noticeable.

Danis is now pidgeonholed, he'd have to break out in an extraordinary way to become noticed in or outside the Habs org.

And even if a late round pick were in the offing, I'm thinking he's still more valuable than that to the minor league part of the organization.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.