HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penalty shot

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Tao Jones

vCash: 500
Penalty shot

What do you think about making the penalty shot the coach's option in the playoffs? I know it's one of the most exciting plays in hockey, but aren't there times when you would rather have the other team down a man for 2 minutes instead? Suppose the man that got hauled down was Steve McKenna(unlikely example, I know) and you're down by a goal late in the third period of a series clincher. Or suppose the other team has just killed off consecutive penalties and their PK unit is spent. Wouldn't you rather take your chances on another PP than give a penalty shot attempt to Todd Fedoruk(say he got a breakaway jumping out of the box after both teams were skating four a side and Ken Klee dives at his skates) against Eddie Belfour? Suppose it happens during a PP and you get a shot at a 5-on-3? Can coaches still substitute another skater who was on the ice at the time of the infraction take the penalty shot for the player who had possession of the puck?

Sorry, if this has been previously discussed.

Old
01-06-2004, 06:15 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
Can coaches still substitute another skater who was on the ice at the time of the infraction take the penalty shot for the player who had possession of the puck?

Sorry, if this has been previously discussed.
yes

Old
01-06-2004, 06:26 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
yes
No.

NHL Rulebook

Rule 30 (c): In cases where a penalty shot has been awarded under Rule 51(c), deliberately displacing goal post during course of a breakaway; under Rule 67(i), Interference; under Rule 72(m), illegal entry into the game; under Rule 88(a) for throwing a stick; and under Rule 91(b), fouling from behind, the Referee shall designate the player who has been fouled as the player who shall take the penalty shot.

In cases where a penalty shot has been awarded under Rule 17(b), deliberate illegal substitution with insufficient playing time remaining; under Rule 51(d), deliberately displacing goal post; under Rule 55(c), falling on the puck in the crease; under Rule 59(d), picking up the puck from the crease area, the penalty shot shall be taken by a player selected by the Captain of the non-offending Team from the players on the ice at the time when the foul was committed. Such selection shall be reported to the Referee and cannot be changed.

If by reason of injury, the player designated by the Referee to take the penalty shot is unable to do so within a reasonable time, the shot may be taken by a player selected by the Captain of the non-offending Team from the players on the ice when the foul was committed. Such selection shall be reported to the Referee and cannot be changed.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
The penalty shot is on of the most exciting plays in hockey if not the most, fans love it. So why maybe take it away from a sport that alot of people (not me!) think is getting duller??? No option for the coach, let the ref decide, actually I wish sometimes the rule was a little more liberal in allowing it more.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Personally I'd pay to see McKenna take a penalty shot...

That would be funny as hell

Old
01-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Plan 9

As a Penguins fan, I find it funny that you chose to single out Steve McKenna.

Old
01-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin

Sadly, that would be the habs equivalent of Dagenais on a penalty shot.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin

I'd like to hear him mic'ed during a game.

Old
01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
As a Penguins fan, I find it funny that you chose to single out Steve McKenna.
Well, Daneyko retired.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Looger

even the least talented players in the NHL can look pretty good on a breakaway.

from goons to snipers, i'd bet some surprises would pop up when looking at career % for success.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Table 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looger
even the least talented players in the NHL can look pretty good on a breakaway.

from goons to snipers, i'd bet some surprises would pop up when looking at career % for success.
Oliwa so far has Calgary's prettiest goal of the season. He pulled an amazing breakaway goal against the Oilers a while back....it was unreal even for a skilled player.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:24 AM
OpinionatedMike

The only way I'd like to see a penalty shot in hockey ever, is under these conditions.

1: They bring back the rule making it a full 2 minutes in the box regardless if a goal is scored

2: The team PKing cannot ice the puck during a PK

3: If a 2 minute infraction occurs during the final 2 minutes of the game the coach should have the choice of any player on the ice at the time of the penalty to take a penalty shot, or have the player serve the 1:59. (excluding OT)

Closed Thread