HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do You have Another Fav Team?

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 10:08 PM
goldenchild

vCash: 500
Do You have Another Fav Team?

Just something I have been wondering on these boards but do you guys have another team that you care about as much as the Oilers?
Not in the NHL because you can't have 2 fav teams in the same league I think that's BS but is there another team you follow as closely or closer than the Oilers?

I have been an Oilers fan for as long as I can remember and I am sure that I am the exception on these boards but I am probably a bigger Philadelphia Eagles fan than I am an Oilers fan. I think it's probably because over the last 10 years or so I have become a much bigger NFL fan than NHL fan, outside of the Oilers I hardly ever watch an NHL game wheras I spend upwards of 10 hours every sunday watching games.

Anyways as much as I love the Oil, Eagles football is my biggest sports passion, I even bought a Direct TV dish 3 years ago so I wouldn't miss a snap and I haven't in 3 years. I became a fan during the Buddy Ball era and it has grown leaps and bounds since then. So how about you?

Old
01-06-2004, 10:18 PM
The Rage

I won't say the obvious (Eskimos), but I will say I support Chelsea in the English Premier League. I know, I guess I'm a bandwagon jumper. However, I jumped on the bandwagon at the "they spent some money, but can they win" stage rather than the "they can buy anyone, success is assured" stage. I guess I like following a big spender, after all the years of following the Oilers. Something appeals to me about how Ambromovich is willing to throw away his gigantic fortune to build a magnificent soccer team. Two other things appeal to be about Chelsea: 1) They play an offensive style. 2) Claudio Raneiri is a great coach (and person). He's always a wonderful quote, and he always remains humble. Contrast that to the managers of ManUre and the Arse. I've been following the team religiously this season, and it's been great fun so far. Hopefully, they can have a great second half and win the premiership.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
nope, in the nhl I follow the "oilers with money" (aka Rangers ) a little and I used to like the Bruins a little back in the day.

But nothing anywhere close to the Oilers ... ever since I was 8 year old

wish I could follow portuguese soccer a little but its to hard to get familiar with the sport over there.

Patch

Old
01-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Allan

Recently, I've taken to following Novosibirsk in the Russian Super League pretty closely. It started with me looking for news on Alexei Mikhnov, but since then, I seem to have become a fan of the team, and even bought a jersey (it takes forever to ship from Russia, you know). Also the Eskimos, but I'm sure a good number of people around here can say that.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:53 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Well, it's not quite the same, but I'm also a massive life-long fan of the NYY, yup, the Yanks. My dad is too, probably where I got it from. Only other jersey I'd wear.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Cerebral

I watch/follow the Duke Blue Devils in college hoops almost as much and possibly more than the Oilers. I'm not the biggest bandwagon fan as I've been cheering for them since around 1995.. they're a strong favorite this season to win the national championship and will actually have an even better shot next year!

Old
01-07-2004, 03:33 AM
Bohologo

I'm also a huge Calgary Flames fan.

(kidding!)

I will support Team Canada in hockey, but when it comes to other NHL teams, I manage to bring the hate for all other squads-cheering for another team is like cheating on your spouse: might be fun for a while, but it will eventually catch up with you.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:44 AM
boxall9

I'm a huge Oilers fan, but lately I find myself also pulling for the Sens. They will never come close to the Oil with me but I think it's ok since they are another Canadian team and they are in the East so the only way they can play the Oil in the playoffs is for the Cup! The team is exciting but watching a game in Ottawa is kind of boring, I went to one last month and it was real quiet. I think it is because they have to drive so far to the rink, nobody can get drunk and be rowdy, it's a very expensive cab ride back to the city.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Yanner39

Being from Ottawa, I pull for the Sens. In Football, I'm a big Dolphins and Packers fan.

In the CFL, I like the 'gades and for some reason, the Eskimos.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
nhl: out of the other 29 teams i hate them

I am a big Toronto Blue Jays fan i follow them each year and hope they can actually pass one of the yankees or red sox (too bad it won't happen in the next 5 years)

for Football in the CFL the Eskimos for sure, in the NFL i like and cheer for the eagles McNabb the man

i could care less about other sports

Old
01-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Hellström

Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
NHL:
Oilers
I do like the Bruins, too.

WHL:
Red Deer Rebels (follow them as close as possible)

DEL: (german hockey)
Adler Mannheim (team where Hecht and Seidenberg played, former Oiler Chris Joseph is now playing for Mannheim)

Soccer:
1.FC Kaiserslautern (my hometeam)
English league: Blackburn Rovers

I´m also interested in other sports, but without a favorite team (NFL, MLB, Soccer and Hockey worldwide)

Old
01-07-2004, 06:26 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I watch/follow the Duke Blue Devils in college hoops almost as much and possibly more than the Oilers. I'm not the biggest bandwagon fan as I've been cheering for them since around 1995.. they're a strong favorite this season to win the national championship and will actually have an even better shot next year!
I'm a big college Hoops fan as well and have always hated the Dukies. Hated them during the late 80's in the Danny Ferry years, I really Despised the Christian Laetner teams (though I always liked Bobby Hurly) and even the recent teams with Brand and Battier I hated. Always loved watching games from Cameron Indoor on TV though best atmosphere in sports. I've been a Syracuse fan since late 80's , I loved Derrek Coleman in college and have stayed a Cuse fan since. Obviously thrilled with last years championship team led by Melo have a great shot again this year with Hakim, Edlin, Mcnamara and Pace.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:27 AM
H-Bear

Well, I used to spend more time being a fan of the Cents when they were here (season ticket holder since I was 1 ). Now that they are gone, the only other team that I pay any attention to is my intrumural team.

Sorry, but I just don't care about baseball, football, or basketball. I'm a big time golf fan, and you guessed it, a Mike Weir fan. So, in short, here are my favourite teams:

Oilers
Cents (still in denial that they left)
Weir

Old
01-07-2004, 06:31 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
The Rage i wish we got that Russian owner instead of Chelsea.

in any case I support Arsenal of the English Football Premiership and have been doing so for a very long time, about 1989-ish.

EDIT by "we" i mean the Oilers. Also i always wondered something about Mohammad Al Fayed but i'll start a new thread for that.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
and i forgot to add the jr team i follow sometimes

AJHL: Fort McMurray Oil Barons
in the last 2-3 years they suck but back in 2000 they were awesome

Old
01-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

NHL - I have a few other teams that I like (Sabres, Pens, Sens, and Blues), but none come close to the Oilers for me

NFL - New England Patriots (been a Pats fan for a few years... I get all their games on satellite )

To a lesser extent:

MLB - Toronto Blue Jays
NBA - Toronto Raptors
CFL - Edmonton Eskimos

Old
01-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

in any case I support Arsenal of the English Football Premiership and have been doing so for a very long time, about 1989-ish.

Also i always wondered something about Mohammad Al Fayed but i'll start a new thread for that.
Hey RS, I too am a big Gunners fan from my time in London-did you ever read Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch? Best book about being a sports fan, ever.

Having Al Fayed as an owner would be a nightmare-the guy is a total lunatic!

Old
01-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Tanko

[QUOTE=York16]NHL - I have a few other teams that I like (Sabres, Pens, Sens, and Blues), but none come close to the Oilers for me

NFL - New England Patriots (been a Pats fan for a few years... I get all their games on satellite )

Fellow Pat's fan here also 25 years as a Pat's fan 20 plus as an Oiler fan.I also am a White Sox fan ugh.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:30 AM
barto

BIG-TIME Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan (Canadian Football League). All of the FIFTEEN kids in my mom's family were born and raised in Manitoba and were huge fans, so at all family gatherings you got more or less beat up if you weren't cheering for the Bombers. It's a little tougher being a great fan while living in Edmonton, but it's worth it - even have indoctrinated my 8-yr-old daughter to cheer for them over the Eskimos!!

Lesser followings: MLB - Blue Jays, NFL - used to be Vikings, now don't care, NBA - none. Oh, and like most CFL fans, the Sask. Roughriders are my 2nd favorite team...

Bart

Old
01-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
As much as I hate to admit it, the Pats are an awesome team. I say that 'cuz they compete in the same division as my Dolphins. The Pats though, everything they do turns to gold. Belichek was hands down the coach of the year. My Dolphins should take a moment and learn how to put together a good franchise instead of always competing year after years and either missing the playoffs or losing in the first round. :mad:

Old
01-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
As much as I hate to admit it, the Pats are an awesome team. I say that 'cuz they compete in the same division as my Dolphins. The Pats though, everything they do turns to gold. Belichek was hands down the coach of the year. My Dolphins should take a moment and learn how to put together a good franchise instead of always competing year after years and either missing the playoffs or losing in the first round. :mad:

As a Pats' fan and Dolphin hater they did go 10 and 6 this year not too bad.Missing the playoffs at 10 and 6....ow

Old
01-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Digger12

Oiler fan for life, ever since they came into the NHL.

As for other sports...I'll watch the Raptors/Blue Jays if they're on, but I'm not really a huge fan or anything.

With the NFL, it's weird. I almost feel like I'm obligated to pick a team and be a fan of it, but I just can't seem to put my heart into the matter. Been an Esks fan too long, it almost feels like talking behind a friend's back. However, after listening to Team 1260 a lot more over the recent months I'm finally starting to get to know the teams and their plays a bit more, so maybe that'll change. If I had to pick a team, maybe the Packers? I'm still on the fence.

I'm a HUGE boxing fan though, I watch it whenever I can...which is usually not that often since the wife detests it. My favourite fighters are Jirov, the Klitchko brothers, Mayorga, Lewis (when he shows up), and Olajide to name a few. My favourites from the past are Hearns, Hagler, Monzon, Nigel Benn, Terry Norris, McGuigan, Holmes, Ali, Foreman (70's version), Joe Louis, Dempsey, Langford and Sugar Ray Robinson.

I was even a fan of Willie DeWitt, even after Bert Cooper beat him to a bloody pulp for all of North America to see.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
As a Pats' fan and Dolphin hater they did go 10 and 6 this year not too bad.Missing the playoffs at 10 and 6....ow
Yeah, My beef though is that every other team is improving year after year making the playoffs and becoming powerhouse football teams and Miami seem to stay at the same level. I mean, Miami is not in the same class as NE, KC or Indy, eben Tennessee. Good enough to compete but not against upper tier teams.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Oilers Hockey

No matter how badly they do I will always be loyal to the Oil.

And I really like the Boston Bruins. I even check the progress of their farm team in Providence.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:38 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
NHL: Oilers or nothing... unless it's the playoffs and a team is just tugging at my heart strings (i.e. Carolina 2 years ago), or any team playing the leafs

NLL: Used to be a big bandits fan, but then the Raiders came to Ontario (Hamilton at the time), then moved to Toronto as the Rock, so they are my team.

CFL: Eskies... the greatest franchise in CFL history!

NBA: Lakers. I loved showtime as a kid, and that hasn't changed a bit... but I like the Raptors too, and I want to see them do well.

NFL: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Bears!!!! Haven't had much too cheer about the past 10 or so years other than 2 or 3 playoff games.

Closed Thread