HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brière is whining again...

Old
09-06-2007, 01:22 PM
katieboo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XlephX View Post
Briere's mom was interviewed on CJRC this afternoon, and she says that after seeing the Habs fans' reactions, she's very happy he didn't sign with them.

What a -- oh, nevermind
je suis desole

katieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
peperebougon*

The fact is I was angry at the time. A lot! But since, I realized I only want players who actually WANT or even DREAM of playing here. Who wants a crybaby or someone who don't really care? I want players like Komi, Higgins, Plekanec, Chipchura and Latendresse who will bleed for this team. Kostopoulos really wanted to play here so I welcome him. This guy has a huge heart and gives it all on the ice. He isn't afraid to play here because of that. Sure deep inside I would have loved to have Daniel on the team, he would have helped the team make the playoffs for sure. I hate him now and would not want him anymore. It just made me more careful before hoping for Vinny or Sid with the team. I think they will never come. We will have to do like the wings and find diamonds in the rough. And keep them.

BTW kudos to Pat Breakwood for his courage and love for the team. I welcome you back. At the end of his career (he will retire a Hab wich I am pretty happy with) he will be able to say to briere: I've been to hell and back.......twice!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Briere's mom was interviewed on CJRC this afternoon, and she says that after seeing the Habs fans' reactions, she's very happy he didn't sign with them.

And we're very happy he didn't sign with us. I guess she would've preferred to hear that we don't care that he didn't sign with us and that he's no use.....

That's just a loser argument....runs in the family.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
In all fairness, that's an impossible claim to prove.

It's not that I personally don't believe you necessarily, it's just that you can't really prove what you're saying.
I agree, but at the same time when we see all the possible scenario, i have a hard time to see one where briere would walk back being honest. IMO, either you want to play in MTL, either you don't but at the end how can you hesitate that much. But either he did it with good intention or bad, at the end he still somehow used the habs to get this contract.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that this stupid" we were 20 minutes away from signing him" from Gillett didn't help Brière's cause either. 'Cause people who would believe that, can't believe that 20 minutes before signing, Brière suddenly realized that his friends were in Philly and that Philly was a better team.

Though I do have the same feeling that Waffledave concerning him never being that interested in coming. Like Souray was never interested in coming back and so on....

That definitely doesn't help Briere's case having the Habs owner coming out and making comments like that. But if that's the way that it happened, I have no problem with him for doing so. He elaborated a little bit more then I personally think he should have.

My impression from hearing Gillet's comments are that Philly was Briere's 1st choice with Montreal being a close 2nd. Philly came in with an offer at the last minute, and since Philly (IMO) was his first choice, he jumped at it. So I don't think that he didn't have any intention of signing with us, I just think we weren't his first choice.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
I agree, but at the same time when we see all the possible scenario, i have a hard time to see one where briere would walk back being honest. IMO, either you want to play in MTL, either you don't but at the end how can you hesitate that much. But either he did it with good intention or bad, at the end he still somehow used the habs to get this contract.
I definitely agree with you that he used the Habs for leverage. Definitely.

Whether he actually had intentions of signing in Montreal or not is up for debate, but there's no question IMO that he used Montreal to get more money out of Philly.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Do they even exist?
Okay...maybe not hardcore Haddock, but there are Briere haters.

Old
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Briere is part of the reason that I hate the mentality of hockey players. In what other sport would players spurn the opportunity to play with legendary clubs that gets all the spotlight? In baseball, players want to play for the Yankees and the Red Sox. In basketball, the Lakers and the Knicks are attractive locations. In soccer, players go to certain countries in hopes of playing for Real Madrid, AC Milan or Manchester United.

In hockey, it seems like Canadian players are scared of the pressure of playing in Montreal and Toronto, and would rather ply their trade where they would be relatively anonymous people. As a Canadiens fan, I've become increasingly frustrated that we've been spurned. Daniel Briere is the face of that issue. He was offered an acceptable wage, and a significant role on this team. He decided to join the worst team in the league, for a chance to win? That is cowardice IMO, and Briere deserves all the abuse from the Bell Centre crowd that he can handle.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
MathMan

Quote:
They would've idolized him if he'd signed.

Hab fans feel a little slapped in the face right now. Consider this: the one impact free agent they felt the team has had any chance of signing for the current decade or so has signed with the <i>worst team in the league</I> instead. Montreal isn't Philly or New York that just has to crook a finger to sign free agents (BTW, someone please tell me why they bothered with a lockout if the end result was to have everyone sign in Philly, Colorado, and New York just like before. The cap has turned into a joke, and so is the idea of "league parity".)

Then there's the suspicion that he was only talking to the Canadiens to draw better offers; I'm not sure I buy it in this case, but Montreal has repeatedly been used in this fashion before. Small wonder they feel snubbed, and I'm surprised Danny didn't expect fans to express their disappointment. They're passionate, that's what they do.

And what do the media do? They try their darndest to make it worse. Yes, it sells papers, but... Remember when I wrote they benefited from a weak Canadiens team rife with controversies? Looks like they're just trying to keep that going. Consider: Briere didn't actually say that he felt that the Habs were less likely to win than the Flyers, he just said he wanted to play with Simon Gagne. But then that's not what the headline makes it look like, is it?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
I need to add that he better realize that it won't be a beach party in Philly either if he doesn't perform up the the expectations or if the Flyers have a losing record.The spotlight will be on him with the monstruous contract he signed and the Flyers fans can be just as harsh as the Habs ones when they are pissed off at an underperforming/overpaid player.

Not saying that it will be the case but it could very well happen.
Only at the rink though. Philadelphia have Phillies, Eagles and College football to worry about. He will be able to live a normal life outside the arena. Flyers are not front page and have only a couple of reporters. Flyers are equivalent to Soccer in Montreal.

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_lavalois View Post
Its ok, screw him and his mom for that.. they didnt need to add that to the situation, Habs-Philly games could be real interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardhabsfan View Post
What a -- oh, nevermind
je suis desole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And we're very happy he didn't sign with us. I guess she would've preferred to hear that we don't care that he didn't sign with us and that he's no use.....

That's just a loser argument....runs in the family.....
What do you guys expect her to say? "Yes my son Daniel is a wimp and couldn't handle the pressure of playing for the Habs, GO HABS GO!!!!"

Some fans/media have outright verbally attacked her son. Any good mother/parent would stand up for their child. Anyone bad mouthing this lady for standing up for her son should be ashamed of themselves.

Old
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
My impression from hearing Gillet's comments are that Philly was Briere's 1st choice with Montreal being a close 2nd. Philly came in with an offer at the last minute, and since Philly (IMO) was his first choice, he jumped at it. So I don't think that he didn't have any intention of signing with us, I just think we weren't his first choice.
Well that is a fact, the habs where ready to equal any offer and even give more if necessary to land brière so there is no way the habs were his first choice since he did not sign here.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddens View Post
In La Presse of this morning there is another paper on Daniel Brière. Daniel, again, mentions that he doesn’t understand why some (many) Habs fans are mad at him… “I just want to win” he said. Even his mom is happy that he didn`t sign in with the Habs.

Well, my poor (clueless) Daniel, here are the main reasons why so many Habs fans are pissed at you, in an open letter format:

1) For most die hard habs fans the decision was a no brainer: for about equivalent money (astronomical amount of $$) THEY (Habs fans) would have chosen Montreal over Philly. C’mon, a chance to play for the team of your childhood?

2) This is linked to no 1… Every year we see star players signing with their hometown team… Souray is from Alberta and just signed with the Oilers, Drury in New York, etc. And it happens with the Leafs frequently too. We, the fans, understand this and feel that it is normal, it makes sense… So you are running against the wind here Daniel… it’s not like the Habs made you a poor offer… Unlike many other star players, you turned your back to your “hometown” team (he’s from Gatineau but the Sens weren’t around when he was a kid).

3) You said you want to win but you signed with the team that finished dead last in the NHL last year. Enough said.

4) When we take all of this into account we are just left with the impression that the main reason why you are not in Montreal is that the “pressure” of playing in Montreal scared you. You want to make $9 millions per year without having to give too many interviews and see your name in the paper because you went scoreless in five games. It’s your call but I find it funny to hear you complain about the reaction of Habs fans. You just want to take it easy and have cozy and comfortable career. But there are other professional athletes who like challenges and pressure and we simply have more respect for them than for you. So sorry but yes, your public image is taking a well deserved beating. Just deal with it and stop whining.

Wow..thats why some quebecers dont like playing here..because of people that think like you..

Your points are ridiculously invalid btw|!

1)He will make more money in Philly than he would have with the Habs..considering the taxes..he also signed for a much longer deal..that pretty much sets him up till retirement..and he's gonna be making 10Million next season...
We dont know anything about the deal with the habs other than it was around the same amount..

2)You talk about players going back to play in their hometown...that he turns his back on Mtl...what about Mtl that turned its back on him couple years ago??..are you actually dissing him after he got rejected by Mtl first??..(what if your gf dumps you cuz you're poor..and when you hit a jackpot and become rich..she comes crawling back..would you take her back???...same thing can be said here)

3)He signed with the Flyers cuz he wants to win..and he has a better chance there than here where its question marks all over...
They signed Biron who's a good friend of Briere..Paul Holmgrem showed how willingly he was to change his team when he signed Hartnell and Timmonen..he also told him he'd play with Gagné and that he wasnt done shopping..
If you think that's less appealing than coming to Mtl..you're ********

4)If you think the only reason he's in Philly is bcuz he's scared of the media..you dont understand a thing..and a lot of players have said it before..they're not scared of the media pressure for them..more so for their kids that would get harrassed in school by other dumb kids..

Not every hockey player want to be Famous..walk in the grocery store or wtv and be stopped 20x for authographs on an almost daily basis...its just not fun..if you cant agree with that..you're clueless

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
This I definitely agree with.

The idea of players being under some sort of obligation to play for their hometown team is stupid, ridiculous and antiquated.
Does using the word antiquated prove any point? Fans are expected to have loyalty to a city to the extent they will shell out thousands and use up an incredible amount of time but players arent expected to have any hometown loyalty at all? I wonder if they laugh at us suckers?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:01 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Wow..thats why some quebecers dont like playing here..because of people that think like you..

Your points are ridiculously invalid btw|!

1)He will make more money in Philly than he would have with the Habs..considering the taxes..he also signed for a much longer deal..that pretty much sets him up till retirement..and he's gonna be making 10Million next season...
We dont know anything about the deal with the habs other than it was around the same amount..

2)You talk about players going back to play in their hometown...that he turns his back on Mtl...what about Mtl that turned its back on him couple years ago??..are you actually dissing him after he got rejected by Mtl first??..(what if your gf dumps you cuz you're poor..and when you hit a jackpot and become rich..she comes crawling back..would you take her back???...same thing can be said here)

3)He signed with the Flyers cuz he wants to win..and he has a better chance there than here where its question marks all over...
They signed Biron who's a good friend of Briere..Paul Holmgrem showed how willingly he was to change his team when he signed Hartnell and Timmonen..he also told him he'd play with Gagné and that he wasnt done shopping..
If you think that's less appealing than coming to Mtl..you're ********

4)If you think the only reason he's in Philly is bcuz he's scared of the media..you dont understand a thing..and a lot of players have said it before..they're not scared of the media pressure for them..more so for their kids that would get harrassed in school by other dumb kids..

Not every hockey player want to be Famous..walk in the grocery store or wtv and be stopped 20x for authographs on an almost daily basis...its just not fun..if you cant agree with that..you're clueless
He signed in Philly because he wants to win?

Old
09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
What do you guys expect her to say? "Yes my son Daniel is a wimp and couldn't handle the pressure of playing for the Habs, GO HABS GO!!!!"

Some fans/media have outright verbally attacked her son. Any good mother/parent would stand up for their child. Anyone bad mouthing this lady for standing up for her son should be ashamed of themselves.
Good point. I wonder if it is embarrassing to have one's momma sticking up for you on national media when you are a professional athelete? If he was a drywaller would he bring her to the jobsite when sometime tipped over the outdoor biffy(or a porta potty in green country) with him in it?

Old
09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yeah I know. Three regular seasons, 179 points, and a Stanley Cup ring. What a nightmare it's been for him!
And let's be perfectly honest, seasons of 59 points, 70 points and 50 points for a guy previously who averaged 100 points per season previously. So, about 60 points a season he averaged in Montreal - well off the 100 points a season he averaged in Chicago. And let's also be honest about that Stanley Cup ring. Savard was NOT a primary player in leading the Habs to the Stanley Cup in 93. He was nothing more than a bit player. He had 5 points in 14 games. He was a scratch how many times? Exactly.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:12 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If the habs are "guilty" of not claiming Briere when he was on waiver etc. Wouldn't that make the Flyers guilty as well? Therefore making your analogy of the girlfriend wrong and your turning back point invalid???

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He signed in Philly because he wants to win?
Did you read?..theres a bunch of reasons why he signed with Philly

But he does have a better chance to win in Philly than in Mtl no?..

MTL--->same team as last year with tons of question marks regarding our youngsters and how they'll perform

Philly--->added a solid Goalie and friend of Briere..Gagné..Richards..Carter..Timmonen..Hartnel l..Knuble..Lupul..Upshall..Smith..Gauthier

On paper..Philly destroys MTL my friend

Old
09-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And let's be perfectly honest, seasons of 59 points, 70 points and 50 points for a guy previously who averaged 100 points per season previously. So, about 60 points a season he averaged in Montreal - well off the 100 points a season he averaged in Chicago. And let's also be honest about that Stanley Cup ring. Savard was NOT a primary player in leading the Habs to the Stanley Cup in 93. He was nothing more than a bit player. He had 5 points in 14 games. He was a scratch how many times? Exactly.
I was just joking around with you. But Savard wasn't a healthy scratch in '93, he was hurt and was behind the bench when he wasn't playing. He was very important. His presence there was later immortalized in D2:The Mighty Ducks when a hurt Charlie Conway takes a step back behind the bench in the final bringing enough moral suports for his teammates to beat those evil Icelanders.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

The most vocal medias protect most of the french players so I didn't see a lot of "traitors" being called as far as Briere is concerned. And then I would've expect her and Daniel to say that they understand the people's frustration. What's the relation between people being frustrated that he didn't sign here and if he would've play here? The fact that they would've been on his case if he doesn't score every 2 games? Not a chance. Sure we would've expected something for the salary he would have received but we would have also acknowledge who he would have been playing with and this regular slump once in a while that everybody has.

And that type of reaction makes me think that they were ready for things to not go their way here. 'Cause what if it would've been great? Don't you think he would've been a God here? And then again I ask, what the relation between being hated 'cause he didn't choose us, and being a god 'cause he's scoring all those goals for us????

And then what's so wrong in saying that it's true that he doesn't like the pressure environment that Montreal is????

The more and more you think about it, his friends, the Philly team, the pressure and all was all known to Brière way before Gainey offered him that big chunk of money....and then it became clear that Montreal was just there to get as much money as he could....and I'm not blaming him....but I'm just saying it adds to the frustration of some people and I understand that under this frustration, some undeserved names were called about Brière......But is that enough for his mommy to say that it then justifies the move???

That Philly might be a better team and that he has more friends in Philly, so be it. But that some fans reaction out of frustration justifies the move is plain dumb.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-06-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
If the habs are "guilty" of not claiming Briere when he was on waiver etc. Wouldn't that make the Flyers guilty as well? Therefore making your analogy of the girlfriend wrong and your turning back point invalid???
Not at all..i dont think it has anything to do with why brière didnt come here..i was only saying this to remind the other guy that MTL turned their back on him as well..so..to say he's turning his back on MTL is hypocritical..

But ya i guess my gf analogy was not so great

Point being..him signing in Philly doesnt mean he turned his back...thats just childish nagging

Old
09-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by saderules View Post
I'm pretty sure (as I have heard on the radio) that it's the media arrassing him and his family about this.

Hab Fans + Media = Retards

All this whining by Montreal is only proving his point as to why he wouldn't sign here. And all of this will not help your cause for futur UFA's either.

You're all worshiping him when you think he's coming to town, and now he's a whiner, a baby, a diver.

You sound like a bunch of *****'s. Two faced ducks is what you are.

When will you learn... When will you learn...

Not exactly sure why it's me that you quote there.

You're a Habs fan too, so I wouldn't call the other ones ******.

Gainey signed UFAs this summer.

If you're on that picture that you use as an avatar, you shouldn't call anyone a ******, ever.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Good point. I wonder if it is embarrassing to have one's momma sticking up for you on national media when you are a professional athelete? If he was a drywaller would he bring her to the jobsite when sometime tipped over the outdoor biffy(or a porta potty in green country) with him in it?
It probably would be embarassing toshiro. A few years ago I had one of my worker's mother show up at a job site and beg me to hire the kid back. She did this infront of all my other workers and the comments they made after weren't very flattering.

I think this situation was a bit different. I don't think Briere's mother showed up and stated what she did. I think the media came to her and asked her the question. But I did like the scenerio you created, I've never heard it called an "Outdoor biffy" before, I have to remember that one.

Old
09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not exactly sure why it's me that you quote there.

You're a Habs fan too, so I wouldn't call the other ones ******.

Gainey signed UFAs this summer.

If you're on that picture that you use as an avatar, you shouldn't call anyone a ******, ever.
Gainey signed 1 good UFA..Hamrlik..

Smolinski and Kostopoulos..are not what i call good moves..every team can sign 3rd lines as free agents..Smolinski will be playing for his ninth team

What Brisebois said is very true..if Brisebois chokes..and sucks again...and we still boo him...even less UFAs will want to sign here..especially quebecer ones