HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dane Byers flying under the radar a bit?

Old
09-06-2007, 02:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Is Dane Byers flying under the radar a bit?

Nearly 50 points and over 200 PIMs in the AHL last year. High 2nd round pick in his draft.

I admit that I wasn't keen on the pick at the time nor did I care or not if we signed him, but he's looked very good in the AHL so far. Maybe a 3rd line spot might be his in the next 5 or so years for good? I don't think he has any higher upside than the 3rd line, but he's got me a bit excited at the very least to see what he can do at the NHL level either this year or next.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont see him making this team.

i think were going skill 3 lines grind em out defensive 4th line that can still put up points and stick up for their teammates.

i think jessiman, pyatt, and dupont will be your 4th line of the future.

i know 99% of this board has soured on hugh, but i think he could pull off being a 4th liner, with some fighting and some offensive pop (to the tune of 10 goals or so). very valuable in this day and age.

i think youve got korpedo dubinsky and cally on your 3rd line

prucha anisimov and drury on the 2nd line

cherepanov gomez and bourret on the first line. of course thats assuming no trades, and no free agents, which is totally unlikely. still though, i dont see byers being a part of this teams future. im guessing he will be trade bait. dawes will probably be trade bait as well, though i think it will be after getting a legit shot this year to make the team. if he makes it as a regular, maybe they move prucha instead.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Fletch

Dane's made great strides...

in the last couple seasons, and last season was an up and down one that exceeded my expectations. His greatest value to the Rangers would be a power forward (not saying he'll achieve that, but it will be his greatest value). To do so, he's going to have to find a better and more consistent scoring touch in the AHL. Also, he needs to fill-out his frame to be successful at any position in the NHL. I've said this numerous times - he plays a power forward game in Petr Nedved's body (similar to Alexandre Giroux, who had the scoring touch and was a physical AHL player, but didn't have the size to replicate that success in the NHL). Byers will also need to develop his physical side a bit more too - he's not afraid to drop the gloves, but he's also not the most aggressive physically. Kind of like Purinton - he always dropped the gloves, but he wasn't scaring anyone in front of the net or anyone coming down the boards because he never was much of a bodychecker.

To make the story I've made long, short - Byers will need some time in the AHL, as well as some time to fill-out his frame before he should seriously be considered for an NHL spot. If he continues to develop as he's been developing (i.e., doubling goals from one season to another in juniors - if he comes close to that - and develops physically) we could see him soon).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 04:12 PM
eco's bones

I still think of him as a 4th liner when he makes it--3rd at the most. Maybe a Kris King type--a guy who plays a defensively responsible (is on the pk), hard nosed physical game, will drop the gloves and maybe get 10 goals 20 points a year. That wouldn't be bad for a 4th liner. He certainly has surpassed Olver and Graham--two of the other 2nd round picks in his year. Only he and Dubinsky look like players to me now.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Nich

i don't think he is under the radar...just not at the point yet to be considered for nhl duty....he needs to have another solid season this year.

but when all said and done, solid 3rd/4th line player....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I still think of him as a 4th liner when he makes it--3rd at the most. Maybe a Kris King type--a guy who plays a defensively responsible (is on the pk), hard nosed physical game, will drop the gloves and maybe get 10 goals 20 points a year. That wouldn't be bad for a 4th liner. He certainly has surpassed Olver and Graham--two of the other 2nd round picks in his year. Only he and Dubinsky look like players to me now.

That's how I see it also. At worst, Byers will be an excellent 4th liner, as is Betts. Together, they would give the team excellent depth.

At best, he could be a top end third liner.

That said, I didn't realize he had almost 50 points in the AHL. That's not bad for a 20-yr-old rookie at all. If he makes a solid improvement this year, he could become one of our top prospects next year (Montoya, Staal, Girardi, Callahan, etc won't be prospects anymore probably, so if Byers improves enough he could be in our top 5 potentially).

I also agree on other prospects - though I must say, 2-for-4 in the second round isn't bad. At this point, it depends on what those "2" will be. If Dubi can be a second liner and Byers a 4th liner, or if both of them will be solid 3rd liners, then the second round of the 2004 draft wasn't too bad at all.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
True Blue

If he can show that his scoring from last year was not a fluke and he could add at least 15 lbs, then he could become a very usefull 3rd line player. Something like a Maltby. I have hopes that he can become such a player.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

i think were going skill 3 lines grind em out defensive 4th line that can still put up points and stick up for their teammates.
Our 4th line can grind, but they are useless for offense.

I'm talking Hollweg Betts Orr

Counting on that line for more than 4 pts this season will be a mistake

09-06-2007, 11:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

i know 99% of this board has soured on hugh, but i think he could pull off being a 4th liner, with some fighting and some offensive pop (to the tune of 10 goals or so). very valuable in this day and age.

cherepanov gomez and bourret on the first line. of course thats assuming no trades, and no free agents, which is totally unlikely. still though, i dont see byers being a part of this teams future. im guessing he will be trade bait. dawes will probably be trade bait as well, though i think it will be after getting a legit shot this year to make the team. if he makes it as a regular, maybe they move prucha instead.

I love your posts. Your committment to the rebuild is worthy. But you are crazyyyyy if you think Gomez and Drury will be the only non home grown forwards in the future.

This is NY afterall. We know how to spend money and spend it they will...right up to the cap.

None of those guys are Elite material......well maybe Cherpenov.....maybe

When JJ and Shanny and Straka retire you think the new GM of the NY Rangers isnt going shopping?

This isnt Buffalo afterall. We can afford to go shopping.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Pizza

Quote:

I've been wondering about some these things myself. I see this as possibly a year where things get sorted out and some better assets aquired by some prospects being traded. I think any deals will be youth for youth.

To me it seems unlikely that Prucha and Dawes play on the same team for very long. It's either one or the other down the road. Come playoff time size still matters for something. Prucha is the favorite for now. He's a legit NHL goal scorer, but if Dawes can put the puck in the net he might challenge Prucha pretty hard. The little I've been able to watch him over the net, Dawes has been surprisingly physical. For a small guy, he plays pretty big.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 12:57 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Nearly 50 points and over 200 PIMs in the AHL last year. High 2nd round pick in his draft.

I admit that I wasn't keen on the pick at the time nor did I care or not if we signed him, but he's looked very good in the AHL so far. Maybe a 3rd line spot might be his in the next 5 or so years for good? I don't think he has any higher upside than the 3rd line, but he's got me a bit excited at the very least to see what he can do at the NHL level either this year or next.
whoa, is a 5 year outlook really flying under the radar? He'll be 26 by then. That's more like "finally getting his chance." If Dane doesn't make it in 3 years time or by whenever his contract expires, I doubt he'd even be resigned unless he somehow turns into a Ken Gernander wolfpack lifer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I think there is an outside chance he is a callup this season....

If Byers takes another step this season a 70 point pace while playing tough smart hockey and maybe the Rangers have something.....

without being scentific about it i'd say for every 100 bust prospects an organization drafts there is 1 prospect that exceeds expectations...Byers might be one of those players (I also think Callahan is one of those players)

Byers is one of the 7 kids i think are fighting for 2 spots in camp....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:27 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think there is an outside chance he is a callup this season....

If Byers takes another step this season a 70 point pace while playing tough smart hockey and maybe the Rangers have something.....

without being scentific about it i'd say for every 100 bust prospects an organization drafts there is 1 prospect that exceeds expectations...Byers might be one of those players (I also think Callahan is one of those players)

Byers is one of the 7 kids i think are fighting for 2 spots in camp....
I think Byers will be on the Rangers if and when Orr or Hollweg get hurt or suspended.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I love your posts. Your committment to the rebuild is worthy. But you are crazyyyyy if you think Gomez and Drury will be the only non home grown forwards in the future.

This is NY afterall. We know how to spend money and spend it they will...right up to the cap.

None of those guys are Elite material......well maybe Cherpenov.....maybe

When JJ and Shanny and Straka retire you think the new GM of the NY Rangers isnt going shopping?

This isnt Buffalo afterall. We can afford to go shopping.
re-read my post bro.

Quote:
of course thats assuming no trades, and no free agents, which is totally unlikely.

Old
09-07-2007, 02:58 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:

He is the logical successor to Hollweg. A bit more skill.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I think he could make a good 4th line energy player while chipping in some points

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
He is the logical successor to Hollweg. A bit more skill.
Dupont. Just a guess though. Brodie might have 3rd line upside, i just dont see a place for him on that high of a line though.

Old
09-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Ola

Nah, I don't think so.

His skating and weight don't worry me all that much, they can be improved, but his overall skill level isn't very high. Just handling and passing the puck aren't strength of his; he is way behind the avg 3rd/4th lineer in the NHL in that aspect. Just like Giroux was.

So my bet is that he will have a Giroux type of career. He is still relativtly young, though if he doesn't really start moving forward in the comming camp he don't look like a future NHLer in the making IMO.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

nope hes not under the radar i highly doubt that he will make th team this years

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 09:06 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

hes not flying under the radar...he's well thought of. He has developed nicely and with another year or 2 in the A developing at the same rate he can be a nice player for us. I like the look of him. if he can get 60ish points and have the same kind of yr physically then i'll be delighted...remember the Hartford team in theory, should be a year wiser, older and...better-This should help Byers development.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
hes not flying under the radar...he's well thought of. He has developed nicely and with another year or 2 in the A developing at the same rate he can be a nice player for us. I like the look of him. if he can get 60ish points and have the same kind of yr physically then i'll be delighted...remember the Hartford team in theory, should be a year wiser, older and...better-This should help Byers development.
theyll be even younger this year than the year before.

Old
09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
NYR Viper

ok.....when you think about it.....drury and gomez take up 14 million a year...lundqvisyt will make 5...thats 19

just because the rangers have a lot of money to spend, i think that within the next three years you will see opportunities given to the younger players....the players that dont work out will be traded maybe for some experienced guys however, once jagr retires, there will be a youth movement.....players like bourret, dubinsky, anisimov, cheraponov, korpikoski will all have a chance to play in the nhl and get a lot of playing time. the rangers organziation has put a lot of money and time into grooming their prospects for the nhl and they will give them their opportunities. the reason the rangers were big spenders this season is only because jagr may only have 1 or 2 years left on his contract. after this season there is a considerable amount of cap space, but that us cap space that will be given to our proven young talent, such as tyutin and girardi, and rozi and lundqvist, hossa and avery. if some dont work out, there are replacements available in the ahl. any big name free agents the rangers can pick up will want long-term deals and the rangers simply do not have the room on their cap to give another large contract over a long period of time while still being able to re-sign their home-grown talent that makes it big.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 03:59 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
theyll be even younger this year than the year before.
really? i know we'll be adding Pyatt, AA etc but guys like Bourret, Jessiman, Korpikoski are a yr older and wiser as well as older vets beign signed up...

so long as they are good, the younger the better!!!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 04:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
really? i know we'll be adding Pyatt, AA etc but guys like Bourret, Jessiman, Korpikoski are a yr older and wiser as well as older vets beign signed up...

so long as they are good, the younger the better!!!
yeah, a lot of vets moved on. like puringoon and other. unfortunately its 4:30 am and i have GOT to get at least 3 hours of sleep tonight im sure someone will fill in the list.

Old
09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Nah, I don't think so.

His skating and weight don't worry me all that much, they can be improved, but his overall skill level isn't very high. Just handling and passing the puck aren't strength of his; he is way behind the avg 3rd/4th lineer in the NHL in that aspect. Just like Giroux was.

So my bet is that he will have a Giroux type of career. He is still relativtly young, though if he doesn't really start moving forward in the comming camp he don't look like a future NHLer in the making IMO.
He's much more skilled than you give him credit for. He has decent hands for a guy who likes to rough it up out there.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote