HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dane Byers flying under the radar a bit?

Old
09-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Taz

vCash: 500
Lampman, Weller, Isbister, Immonen, Purinton

Are the ones off the top of my head. They're all 25 +

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 08:22 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Lampman, Weller, Isbister, Immonen, Purinton

Are the ones off the top of my head. They're all 25 +
are we listing the vets that are gone then?

i thought we were listing the vets that have signed with Hartford to add experience alongside Byers and co...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
yeah, a lot of vets moved on. like puringoon and other. unfortunately its 4:30 am and i have GOT to get at least 3 hours of sleep tonight im sure someone will fill in the list.

I was responding to the above

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I was responding to the above

my bad! cheers taz.

I hope that Hartford dont add more than is necessary with vets as imk hoping as last year the majority of the squad will be for the Dupont's, Pyatts, Anisimov's and all the new young guys as well as the already established younger players like Byers, Korpikoski etc.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Edge

I think Byers is certainly flying under the radar. People forget how young he is for having the type of second AHL season he had.

The "problem" is that he doesn't project as a star. I think he projects as a fourth liner, maybe a third liner who will annoy the pants off of the other team and chip in the odd point.

He's not an enforcer and he's not really a scorer, but he could play a valuable long term role. He's the guy that a player like Ryan Hollweg is going to have battle in the future. Byers is bigger and has shown more of a scoring touch at the pro level while playing a very similar role as grinder/agitator/checker.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think Byers is certainly flying under the radar. People forget how young he is for having the type of second AHL season he had.

The "problem" is that he doesn't project as a star. I think he projects as a fourth liner, maybe a third liner who will annoy the pants off of the other team and chip in the odd point.

He's not an enforcer and he's not really a scorer, but he could play a valuable long term role. He's the guy that a player like Ryan Hollweg is going to have battle in the future. Byers is bigger and has shown more of a scoring touch at the pro level while playing a very similar role as grinder/agitator/checker.
Just bringing this thread up again because I think Byers missed the boat a little bit tonight. Realistically he's going to be a 3rd/4th line guy. It's nice that he has some scoring touch, but when the chips are down and your team is at war, you should stick up for your guys. Byers seemed to be backing away from any sort of physical confrontation tonight. I know he probably doesn't want to get kicked out but what he has over Hollweg is he can score IN ADDITION to be a physical presence. If he's not a physical presence than he will not be an adequate replacement for a less skilled bottom line guy.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Just bringing this thread up again because I think Byers missed the boat a little bit tonight. Realistically he's going to be a 3rd/4th line guy. It's nice that he has some scoring touch, but when the chips are down and your team is at war, you should stick up for your guys. Byers seemed to be backing away from any sort of physical confrontation tonight. I know he probably doesn't want to get kicked out but what he has over Hollweg is he can score IN ADDITION to be a physical presence. If he's not a physical presence than he will not be an adequate replacement for a less skilled bottom line guy.
In time, Byers should replace a Hollweg...But he ain't ready yet....The guy needs more time in the AHL and it will probably be best for him also...If Hollweg does not find the quasi offesnive touch he had in juniors (a better scorer then Byers), a mid season change won't be surprising.....But for now, Hollweg's speed, hitting, guts,expereince easily make him the pick over Byers (IMO)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 06:08 AM
eco's bones

Hollweg seems faster and his ability to track down and hit opponents especially on the forecheck is his main advantage over Byers. Byers has better size and looks to be more of a point producer. I don't think we'll have to worry about him answering the bell when trouble starts. He was involved in a lot of scraps last year. That's a big part of his game. Not really an enforcer though--someone like a Brad May or Arron Asham.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hollweg seems faster and his ability to track down and hit opponents especially on the forecheck is his main advantage over Byers. Byers has better size and looks to be more of a point producer. I don't think we'll have to worry about him answering the bell when trouble starts. He was involved in a lot of scraps last year. That's a big part of his game. Not really an enforcer though--someone like a Brad May or Arron Asham.

Yeah, but trouble did start and he didn't do anything. Actually all hell broke lose. I saw him get shoved a few times and he just looked straight for the refs. I dont know; I just was a little disappointed. I mean, Dubi figured it out and challenged Sutton sticking up for his teammate. Hell, every North American player looked ready to fight if necessary last night except Byers (and even some of the Euro's, such as Hossa were mixing it up). I look forward to him being on the Rangers eventually, I just think he could and should have shown more last night in THAT type of game.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 08:31 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Yeah, but trouble did start and he didn't do anything. Actually all hell broke lose. I saw him get shoved a few times and he just looked straight for the refs. I dont know; I just was a little disappointed. I mean, Dubi figured it out and challenged Sutton sticking up for his teammate. Hell, every North American player looked ready to fight if necessary last night except Byers (and even some of the Euro's, such as Hossa were mixing it up). I look forward to him being on the Rangers eventually, I just think he could and should have shown more last night in THAT type of game.
maybe Byers did not wanna take a penalty that would cost the rangers. Byers needs to make the team, then worry about the rough stuff.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 08:33 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Byers has been perpetually underrated by this board. He was never voted as a top 20prospect until he started playing in Hartford and was generally considered a drafting mistake. That's why I go elsewhere for my scouting info. He strikes me as the kind of player you win championships with and that ain't all bad.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Larry Melnyk

BYers is a good prospect and probaly will make for a decent 3rd-4th liner in the not too distant future..But not now...Needs and can beneift form work in the AHL to improve his consistnecy, speed/reatction and all around game...Right now, as far as speed, forechecking, hitting, agitating and transition, Hollweg is a much better option...But check back in a few months

Old
09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Byers has been perpetually underrated by this board. He was never voted as a top 20prospect until he started playing in Hartford and was generally considered a drafting mistake. That's why I go elsewhere for my scouting info. He strikes me as the kind of player you win championships with and that ain't all bad.
In fairness he's been a better pro player than he was in juniors. Following his draft year he neither took a step forward with production nor did he seem to be anything noteworthy as a fighter.

I believe he got his shot with a tryout and impressed and has made the most of it ever since. But make no mistake, he was right on the bubble following his selection by the Rangers.

He's a pretty rare case where his development really started after he turned pro. Based on what he showed as a junior player, he was pretty run of the mill there for a while.

Old
09-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Fletch

Edge...

I thought Byers took a huge step from his first juniors season to his second. I remember commenting on how impressed I was with his progression the last couple seasons. I could be wrong, but his production especially seemed to improve as a 19 year old compared to as an 18 year old.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
eco's bones

On Hollweg who he seems to be compared to as far as competing for a job with--Ryan to me has to make himself more useful than he is if he's going to hold onto his job. For instance he's been put on the pk but has not been that impressive IMO. Ryan has got to score a little more or he's always going to be on the bubble himself. This is why a Byers right now--though I agree he could probably do with more seasoning--is legit competition for him this training camp. To me Byers is turning into a more well rounded player than Hollweg--even if he does spend another season in Hartford. If things continue as they have been Byers will eventually catch and pass right on by Hollweg.

Old
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
On Hollweg who he seems to be compared to as far as competing for a job with--Ryan to me has to make himself more useful than he is if he's going to hold onto his job. For instance he's been put on the pk but has not been that impressive IMO. Ryan has got to score a little more or he's always going to be on the bubble himself. This is why a Byers right now--though I agree he could probably do with more seasoning--is legit competition for him this training camp. To me Byers is turning into a more well rounded player than Hollweg--even if he does spend another season in Hartford. If things continue as they have been Byers will eventually catch and pass right on by Hollweg.
As I said some of the same above, this is indeed very possible..But lets not over-rate Byers either..Her is progressing nicely but to be an NHLer, the kid needs to get better...Quicker in the NHL game, a better hitter, a better forechecker...especially These are the things that will help him force his way onto our 4th line.....Could be a month or a season from now, but he has a real good chance based on what I have seen...

Old
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
As I said some of the same above, this is indeed very possible..But lets not over-rate Byers either..Her is progressing nicely but to be an NHLer, the kid needs to get better...Quicker in the NHL game, a better hitter, a better forechecker...especially These are the things that will help him force his way onto our 4th line.....Could be a month or a season from now, but he has a real good chance based on what I have seen...
Agree Larry--Byers right now seems more of a guy who just scrums in the corners--he doesn't seem to have quite the ability to catch somebody coming out of their own end the way Hollweg does--or even like Ortmeyer for that matter. To me it's not just quickness--a little work on agility would help too. Maybe even a little more strength and a few more pounds. Still Hollweg almost seems to have plateaued--reached a stage maybe he will never get past and that makes his future very vulnerable here.

Last edited by eco's bones: 09-26-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old
09-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Fletch

Good point...

eco's and Larry regarding his quickness. That's something I haven't looked at much. My focus has been his physical game and whether he can play physical in the NHL (his frame was similar to Nedved's, but he reminded me a lot of Alexandre Giroux, who used his frame to get in front of the net and put in junk as well as to protect the puck along the boards). Byers seemed willing to be physical - and at times it worked (although it may've worked against AHLers, not NHLers - I wasn't paying close enough attention). In any event, I hope he goes back to HFD and plays quality minutes, including PP time and continues to develop. The kid does have the potential to be better than Hollweg (I think he has better hands around the net than Hollweg - his one PP goal being a glimpse of those better hands - as well as potentially better size if he fills out).

Old
09-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I thought Byers took a huge step from his first juniors season to his second. I remember commenting on how impressed I was with his progression the last couple seasons. I could be wrong, but his production especially seemed to improve as a 19 year old compared to as an 18 year old.
Actually I didn't think his first 3 years were anything noteworthy. 8, 9 and 11 goals respectivly. He was an okay fighter, but really didn't look to have a nitch. He wasn't really a scorer who agitated people (ala Sean Avery as a junior player) and he wasn't really a WHL heavyweight either.

The real jump came in his fourth and final year of juniors where he about doubled his goal and point totals on a bad Raiders team.

However, even then I wouldn't have guessed that he'd be able to produce the same way at the AHL level as a 20-year old.

To me he looked better last year than he did for most of his time in the WHL and that says something considering the jump in competition. Most guys take a dip in production after turning pro, Byers really didn't miss a beat and actually was far more of a factor as a pest.

His production as a lunchpale player in his first pro season was really pretty noteworthy. I admit it, I honestly wasn't expecting it. You'd watch a game and focus on Dawes or Immonen or Dubinsky or someone else and quietly when all was said and done Byers put up nearly 20 goals, nearly 50 points and more than 200 pim as a first year pro.

Old
09-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Fletch

I agree Edge...

and should clarify something: by first year in junior compared to second year, I meant first year after being drafted compared to his second year after being drafted (his third and fourth years). Sorry for the misunderstanding. To me, that caught my eye. I too didn't think he would make that jump in the AHL, but I thought it was encouraging to see him improve and thought if he could continue to improve like that, he could become a decent player. That's also the reason why I want him to stay in the AHL. He hasn't stopped improving at that level (actually was wildy inconsistent) and still has a ways to go. This kid could be more than a grinding fourth liner getting 3-5 minutes per night (he may not be, but his best chance at becoming that is to continue to improve, gain confidence, and be put into situations in which he wouldn't be in if he was in the NHL).