HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Proposal: TOR/DAL

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2004, 07:01 AM
oilfan39

vCash: 500
Proposal: TOR/DAL

Once Big D bites the bullet and are out of the p.picture, I could see them moving some $$$.

To TOR:
Teppo Numminen

To DAL:
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Conditional Draft Pick (depending on where Nummi signs in off-season)

Old
01-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I would not want Poni.. he wouldn't have a place in the line-up, not now and not in the future. So it becomes a top 3 defenseman for a conditional pick? We are better off keeping him and get the draft pick compensation.

Horrible value.. though if the Stars are officially out of contention, you might get him for a 2nd, considering it's a low one.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I would not want Poni.. he wouldn't have a place in the line-up, not now and not in the future. So it becomes a top 3 defenseman for a conditional pick? We are better off keeping him and get the draft pick compensation.

Horrible value.. though if the Stars are officially out of contention, you might get him for a 2nd, considering it's a low one.
You haven't exactly watched Poni play lately have you? Well I'm not agreeing that this deal should or would go down but to say Poni would have no place in a forward lineup like Dallas is just crazy.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
You haven't exactly watched Poni play lately have you? Well I'm not agreeing that this deal should or would go down but to say Poni would have no place in a forward lineup like Dallas is just crazy.
Sure.. tell me if he's better then any of our wingers:

Turgeon
Morrow
Barnes
Lehtinen
Guerin
Young
DiMaio
Ott

Old
01-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Quote:

Turgeon
Morrow
Barnes
Lehtinen
Guerin
Young
DiMaio
Ott
He's certainly better then Ott, Young, Turgeon, Barnes and DiMaio. The kid had a rough start but has been a great addition to the team lately after getting the nervs out of the way.

Last edited by Savage: 01-12-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old
01-12-2004, 08:26 AM
oilfan39

Quote:

Turgeon
Morrow
Barnes
Lehtinen
Guerin
Young
DiMaio
Ott
I don't expect Turgeon to be in D much longer due to his salary. Morrow, Stu, Jere and Bill are certainly better than Poni, but I do think he has a decent upside to him.

Old
01-12-2004, 08:28 AM
oilfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
Lumme, Manson, Diduck, Murphy, etc. etc. etc. No need to add Numminen to the list of d-men who come to Toronto to suck the life out of their career. The Leafs have had terrible luck with adding older d-men. They need to make a more signifigant deal and hope to get a little mileage out of a younger d.
A more significant deal for a younger D-man will cost the Leafs significantly more, even if such a deal is available. I think Dallas is probably the likely partner in any Leaf deal for another defenseman, whether it be a Zubov or Numminen. I think Numminen's price tag will be less than Sergei's, so it might be the better option of the two.

Old
01-12-2004, 08:28 AM
oilfan39

Quote:
Lumme, Manson, Diduck, Murphy, etc. etc. etc. No need to add Numminen to the list of d-men who come to Toronto to suck the life out of their career. The Leafs have had terrible luck with adding older d-men. They need to make a more signifigant deal and hope to get a little mileage out of a younger d.
A more significant deal for a younger D-man will cost the Leafs significantly more, even if such a deal is available. I think Dallas is probably the likely partner in any Leaf deal for another defenseman, whether it be a Zubov or Numminen. I think Numminen's price tag will be less than Sergei's, so it might be the better option of the two.

Old
01-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
He's certainly better then Ott, Young, Turgeon, Barnes and DiMaio. The kid had a rough start but has been a great addition to the team lately after getting the nervs out of the way.
You just proved you haven't followed the Stars at all, but look at their stats instead. Steve Ott is a superior player, Turgeon has more skills in his left pinky then Poni could ever dream of, Young has had a rough start due to the death of a relative, but has now 3 goals in his last 3 with a solid defensive game to boot, Barnes? Seriously.. and DiMaio, who's a fan favorite, arguably our most consistant forward of the season and one of the most underrated grinders in the NHL.

Poni wouldn't crack the line-up..

Old
01-12-2004, 09:29 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
You just proved you haven't followed the Stars at all, but look at their stats instead. Steve Ott is a superior player, Turgeon has more skills in his left pinky then Poni could ever dream of, Young has had a rough start due to the death of a relative, but has now 3 goals in his last 3 with a solid defensive game to boot, Barnes? Seriously.. and DiMaio, who's a fan favorite, arguably our most consistant forward of the season and one of the most underrated grinders in the NHL.

Of course just because he can play on a Conference leading team doesn't mean he could make the squad of a team that is struggling to make the playoffs!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-12-2004, 09:38 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Ott - you're joking right? Ott is two years younger, is playing on Dallas' 4th line for the most part is 3 points behind Poni in scoring, and has a much greater upside in the future...AND is one of the toughest kids in the NHL when you get right down to it.

Young - having a bit of a bad year, but is much more established than Poni and is only 2 points behind Poni in scoring.

Turgeon - has more skill in his baby toe than Poni. Turgeon might be on his last leg as a player right now, but he's not being used properly in Dallas.

Barnes - like..LOL...whatever...Barnes is so much more than points. He's one of the best all around players in the NHL and an increadible leader.

DiMaio - one of the better grinders in the league...he's one of those quintessentail 4th liners you want on your team.

All in all, you're way off base here comparing apples to oranges...all of those players are MUCH more valueable to the Stars than Poni could be. Sure, you might only look at points, but you also need to understand what role those players have on the team as well as (in Ott's case) what their future capabilities are.

Old
01-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
Of course just because he can play on a Conference leading team doesn't mean he could make the squad of a team that is struggling to make the playoffs!!!!!!!!!
Standings are totally irrelevant..

Poni wouldn't crack the Rags line-up either and look where they stand..

Old
01-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
We are better off keeping him and get the draft pick compensation.
What if there is no compensation? Teppo will be 36 by the time the off-season rolls around. If there is any chance of an extended lock-out, I think there is a chance that Teppo could call it a career. Even if he doesn't, there's no way he gets the type of salary he's earning now and would likely be in the $2-2.5 mil range at the most. In that range, the most compensation that the Stars could expect would be a 4th round pick, maybe a 3rd.

In any case, if the Stars make Teppo available at the deadline I'm sure there will be at least a half dozen teams interested. He's still a quality blueliner although it appears he has lost the offensive touch he once displayed as a top notch PP QB. I would love to see the Canucks add him at the deadline and would offer up a decent prospect and a fairly high pick(2nd or 3rd rounder) to get him.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
Standings are totally irrelevant..

Poni wouldn't crack the Rags line-up either and look where they stand..
I was always under the impression that the standings determine the playoff teams???? I guess if you're a non playoff team, standings are irrelevent.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Starsdude

Teppo has a NTC so that is consideration

Old
01-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
I was always under the impression that the standings determine the playoff teams???? I guess if you're a non playoff team, standings are irrelevent.
You are pathetic.. the Leafs have one solid start in years and their fans think they are all that just like that. Standings do determine the playoff teams, but how is this rellevent with the actual players on the team?

Old
01-12-2004, 10:49 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
You are pathetic.. the Leafs have one solid start in years and their fans think they are all that just like that. Standings do determine the playoff teams, but how is this rellevent with the actual players on the team?
the players play the games which translate into points, thus the position in the standings....it's pretty simple to understand.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Adam West

Quote:

could anyone be traded from the dallas roster be traded in your opinion. im not saying this is a good proposal but you did say you wouldnt trade lehtinen for thornton earlier. it seems you may suffer from a common problem of over-estimating the value of players on your favourite team.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:55 AM
BrianBurke

Quote:

Turgeon
Morrow
Barnes
Lehtinen
Guerin
Young
DiMaio
Ott

DiMaio? When did he become valuable? He's an NHL journeyman, not the 'quinessential 4th liner' you refer to him as.
Young? Doesn't he have something like 2 goals? Personal problems or not, his slow start is likely the start of a long overdue production slide from him.
Not that I'm a Leaf's fan at all (being from Vancouver I despise them)... but cmon, don't overrate your loveable losers too much.

Last edited by BrianBurke: 01-12-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Stephen

Quote:
For every one of those guys you named, I can think of Svehla, Klee, Cote, Karpovtsev who worked out for Toronto. At the price of Poni and a pick I think it's worth the risk.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
the players play the games which translate into points, thus the position in the standings....it's pretty simple to understand.
Ala the NYR..

As for BrianBurke, I couldn't care less how you look at Rob DiMaio, the fact remains that he has been one of our most, if not the most, consistant forward of the season. He never takes shifts off, is as energetic as Jarome Williams, kills his ass off on the PK and most of all, gets under the opposition's skill with a perfect grinding and forechecking game, and he does backs up his action, usually with a very positive result despite his size. He has not been anything short from your man Matt Cooke..

Old
01-12-2004, 11:16 AM
BrianBurke

Quote:

As for BrianBurke, I couldn't care less how you look at Rob DiMaio.
Problem is I'm not alone in my opinion of Robbie. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but he's not at the same level as Cooke.
He's a journeyman playing out his last year or two in the Big D... if anything, I'd compare him more to Mike Keane.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:16 AM
degroat*

Numminen would be a rent-a-player. If he gets moved, it won't be for much.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurke
Problem is I'm not alone in my opinion of Robbie. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but he's not at the same level as Cooke.
He's a journeyman playing out his last year or two in the Big D... if anything, I'd compare him more to Mike Keane.
Not at all.. God stop..

Keane wasn't nearly as energetic, physical nor as annyoing. I say the current Rob DiMaio is better by quite a margain then Keane was during his '99 days.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:20 AM
BrianBurke

Quote:
Not at all.. God stop..

Keane wasn't nearly as energetic, physical nor as annyoing. I say the current Rob DiMaio is better by quite a margain then Keane was during his '99 days.
Fair enough... I'll take that from a Stars fan who saw both of them play. But still, I don't consider DiMaio near Cooke's level, and I don't think rating Poni over him is all that outlandish.

Closed Thread