HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The relationship between Jacques Martin and Jason Spezza

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-06-2007, 07:31 PM
  #1
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
The relationship between Jacques Martin and Jason Spezza

Hey folks, just thought I'd come on here for a quick moment. Am I the only one from Ottawa that remembers that Jacques Martin and Jason Spezza did not get along with one another? Were there not reports at one time that Martin did not Spezza in the Ottawa lineup because he thought he would never be a competent player? And when Martin was fired, did Spezza not say on national television that he wasn't sorry to see Martin go? I'm kind of arguing with one gentleman on the Flyers board who thinks that Martin and Spezza got along very well and wants me to find links to prove that they didn't.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
  #2
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,412
vCash: 500
Definately werent friends...

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 07:34 PM
  #3
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(
 
Hell on Heels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa & on the road
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,556
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
No, they really really didn't get along at all. Martin was a defense-first coach, and Spezza was a defensive liability.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:08 PM
  #4
PlayItAgain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Martin once called Spezza "a boy playing in a mens league". That in itself is not bad except that it came from Jacques Martin. He NEVER publicly embarrased any other player like that iirc.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:12 PM
  #5
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 184
Think Spezza had words with Murray during recent playoffs as well.
Kid is a headcase, let's hope he matures into a two-way forward to go along with his brilliant offensive game.

I miss Martin.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
  #6
RayzorFan1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa Valley
Country: Canada
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprettyprincess View Post
No, they really really didn't get along at all. Martin was a defense-first coach, and Spezza was a defensive liability.
True that. Martin was an ass though at the time, or so it seemed to me. Then Spezza started actually trying on D.

RayzorFan1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
  #7
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I miss Martin.
I find that hard to believe with your consistent complaining about the Sens needing more grit.

Rob Ray tells a story about his first playoffs here when Martin had a discussion with Ray about physical play since the Sens were getting beat. Martin told Ray if the team ignores the physical play then it will go away.

With the way you preach physical play, I don't understand why you would want Martin back.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
  #8
Generic Username*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
He's bi-polar, I'm telling ya'.

Generic Username* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
  #9
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Martin definitely had issues with Spezza but whether Spez realises it or not, it made him a far better player in the long-run. Martin refused to let Spezza be one of those kids who came in to the league as one-dimensonal forwards to whom their own end was a foreign country, and while Spezza would have had far more early acclaim and attention, he would never fully develop and become the player he is today, let alone the player he will be in a few years time. While it was difficult on Spezza and difficult for Sens fans seeing their franchise player sent back to the OHL/AHL, Spezza handled it well after being a baby initially. He matured drastically and the way he handles himself now, the way he has learned to accept criticism and work endlessly on his flaws, is all borne out of the tough love treatment Martin gave him (in my opinion, at least). While he's still not perfect, I think Martin chipped away at Spezza's primadonna attitude and you see the commitment Spezza now has to improvement and development, that wouldn't have been there without Martin belitting him and putting him in his place.

For a long time I thought Martin's actions would cause Spezza to bolt at first opportunity, but I think Murray and Muckler did a lot to repair that relationship. In addition to Spezza maturing and realising the intentions of Martin were not malevolent. Though they had their disagreements, Murray and Spezza had fantastic communication. Muckler never played hardball with Spezza and essentially gave him whatever he wanted contract-wise - he also gave him Heatley, which can't hurt when Spezza is considering what to do long-term. The future looks good as well, as Spezza says Paddock is the best coach he's ever had.

__________________
No longer valid
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 07:45 AM
  #10
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I find that hard to believe with your consistent complaining about the Sens needing more grit.

Rob Ray tells a story about his first playoffs here when Martin had a discussion with Ray about physical play since the Sens were getting beat. Martin told Ray if the team ignores the physical play then it will go away.

With the way you preach physical play, I don't understand why you would want Martin back.
It's best not to make sense of it.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
  #11
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Martin definitely had issues with Spezza but whether Spez realises it or not, it made him a far better player in the long-run. Martin refused to let Spezza be one of those kids who came in to the league as one-dimensonal forwards to whom their own end was a foreign country, and while Spezza would have had far more early acclaim and attention, he would never fully develop and become the player he is today, let alone the player he will be in a few years time. While it was difficult on Spezza and difficult for Sens fans seeing their franchise player sent back to the OHL/AHL, Spezza handled it well after being a baby initially. He matured drastically and the way he handles himself now, the way he has learned to accept criticism and work endlessly on his flaws, is all borne out of the tough love treatment Martin gave him (in my opinion, at least). While he's still not perfect, I think Martin chipped away at Spezza's primadonna attitude and you see the commitment Spezza now has to improvement and development, that wouldn't have been there without Martin belitting him and putting him in his place.

For a long time I thought Martin's actions would cause Spezza to bolt at first opportunity, but I think Murray and Muckler did a lot to repair that relationship. In addition to Spezza maturing and realising the intentions of Martin were not malevolent. Though they had their disagreements, Murray and Spezza had fantastic communication. Muckler never played hardball with Spezza and essentially gave him whatever he wanted contract-wise - he also gave him Heatley, which can't hurt when Spezza is considering what to do long-term. The future looks good as well, as Spezza says Paddock is the best coach he's ever had.
Good post ... I first saw Spezza at his first development camp and he spent most of his time gigling and fooling around not taking much around him that seriously. It seemed, like he was just going to make it based on his junior accomplishments and draft selection. That was also the first time I met John Muckler who just happened to sit down next to me. Although I wasn't that impressed with Spezza, I can tell you that Muckler just loved him. The following year, the same thing happened again at the camp and Muckler again sat next to me and again raved about Spezza's skill, he also really like Emery and that camp.

Personally I liked really liked Antoine Vermette at Spezza's initial camp. He worked really hard and didn't come into camp waving his QHL stats. I really got the feeling that Spezza was a bit of a loafer (reminded me of Lecavalier's first yrs) and although I'm not a big fan of Jacques I thought he did the right thing to send Spezza back to junior/AHL. It took a couple of times for Spezza to learn his lesson but he eventually did and has slowly turned into an excellent NHL player and representative of this organization.

Of course, I was also one of those who criticized Martin for not playing Spezza when we needed scoring & when he was forced to put Spezza into the game he took out Neil (the toughness issue) who IMO we also needed against TO. Martin was childish in his own right, knowing the fans wanted Ottawa to be tougher and score more goals. He in his own way seemed to sabe saying, if I insert Spezza for points I'm taking away the grit aspect in Neil so nobody can tell me how to coach. Just an opinion though.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 11:17 AM
  #12
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Emery Scares Me View Post
It's best not to make sense of it.
Username + User title + avatar = some kind of wonderful

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
  #13
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Ray Emery Scares Me[/B];10357113]It's best not to make sense of it.
Ray Emery scares all of us ... so does McGratton ... Neil looks somewhat friendly though, must be that toothless grin.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:41 PM
  #14
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Ray Emery scares all of us ... so does McGratton ... Neil looks somewhat friendly though, must be that toothless grin.
You know he couldn't be a cannibal!

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2007, 01:43 PM
  #15
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Emery Scares Me View Post
You know he couldn't be a cannibal!
I heard he rents teeth for that.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.