HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who will be the new captain?

View Poll Results: Who will be the new captain?
Gagne 71 47.33%
Briere 15 10.00%
Kapanen 15 10.00%
Knuble 10 6.67%
Richards 4 2.67%
Smith 25 16.67%
Timonen 4 2.67%
Hatcher 6 4.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
No, I'm saying skilled guys who don't have to play physical should have some other attribute to make the guys want to follow him. Gagne doesn't display that to me. Guys like Sakic and Yzerman had that kind of undeniable quality that made them the leader of the team. I don't mean to say Kapanen does, but many many times I've seen games where he seems to be the only one who cares. After a lot of his energy shifts, suddenly the team shows up. It's not about his actually making a physical impact, it's about him showing the rest of the team he's willing to do it and the rest of them following suit. He's sparked the team so many more times than anyone else I've seen on the roster.
People lead in different ways. When Forsberg was traded, Gagne stepped up and claimed this as his team. He led the way offensively, he was a different player than I have ever seen. He took charge instead of waiting for things to happen. We have to remember Gagne is still pretty young and as he continues to mature and enters his prime, he's becoming more of a leader.

Kapanen is yesterday's news. His days are numbered. I'd prefer one of the new guys who are signed long-term (including Smith if he re-ups) to the old dog 3rd or 4th liner that threatens retirement every season.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 07:04 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
People lead in different ways. When Forsberg was traded, Gagne stepped up and claimed this as his team. He led the way offensively, he was a different player than I have ever seen. He took charge instead of waiting for things to happen. We have to remember Gagne is still pretty young and as he continues to mature and enters his prime, he's becoming more of a leader.

Kapanen is yesterday's news. His days are numbered. I'd prefer one of the new guys who are signed long-term (including Smith if he re-ups) to the old dog 3rd or 4th liner that threatens retirement every season.
Gagne can play that same offensive game and take over on the ice without getting the C. I didn't say it here, but I want to avoid giving it to someone who is signed long-term because it's supposed to go to Richards some day.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Gagne can play that same offensive game and take over on the ice without getting the C. I didn't say it here, but I want to avoid giving it to someone who is signed long-term because it's supposed to go to Richards some day.
Hey Richie is my favourite player but I'd prefer stability in that role as opposed to switching it every year or two until he's ready. I think he's the future captain of this team as well but like you said about Gagne (or any player) he can still be a leader without a letter. I think right now the best choice is Gagne based on my own criteria. Richards still has to earn the C and who knows if he ever will.

Old
09-09-2007, 11:00 AM
04' hockey

Mike Richards.....it's time, he came back late in the season from a shoulder injury and played well. Maybe some vets like Smith, Knuble, Gags will give him support as he grows in the role. I would just let Gagne play his game, why put leadership responsibilities on his plate?, let him, Briere etc., just play hockey.

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 11:17 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

It's too bad we don't have a Tocchet type player on this team because that would be the perfect leader for this club. Someone who can fight, hit, score and lays it all on the line when they play. The closest we have to that is Richards. However, I'd say Richards is another 3 to 4 seasons away from being a captain.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Hey Richie is my favourite player but I'd prefer stability in that role as opposed to switching it every year or two until he's ready. I think he's the future captain of this team as well but like you said about Gagne (or any player) he can still be a leader without a letter. I think right now the best choice is Gagne based on my own criteria. Richards still has to earn the C and who knows if he ever will.
I'd prefer stability too, but since everyone says it's going to Richie some day there's going to be instability until that happens. Since he's the heir apparent, I'd rather avoid giving it to Gagne since I want him to be here for years to come as well.

Old
09-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I'd prefer stability too, but since everyone says it's going to Richie some day there's going to be instability until that happens. Since he's the heir apparent, I'd rather avoid giving it to Gagne since I want him to be here for years to come as well.
I'm fairly confident Richards isn't going anywhere. He's not selfish enough to say "they didn't give me the captaincy so I'm leaving via free agency", he's a team first guy and he'll play his game no matter what happens. When Forsberg was here I thought he'd re-up (before the season went down the drain) and in a couple more years Richards would become captain. But things have changed, this is Gagne's team now.

Old
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
LePalle

Send a message via AIM to LePalle
Well I read through the whole thread...and Im wondering when Gagne became the little shy kid in the corner? Hes not the most vocal, or the most physical, but its not like hes antisocial and soft...

I say Gagne, or Smith. Only if Smith is going to stay for a little while though.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I'm fairly confident Richards isn't going anywhere. He's not selfish enough to say "they didn't give me the captaincy so I'm leaving via free agency", he's a team first guy and he'll play his game no matter what happens. When Forsberg was here I thought he'd re-up (before the season went down the drain) and in a couple more years Richards would become captain. But things have changed, this is Gagne's team now.
Hmm, guess my point didn't come across well. Of course I don't expect him to leave over something that trivial. I meant to say that if it indeed will be Richards some day, then giving it to Gagne means Richie will have to wait a long time before he can take it over since Gagne's not going anywhere either. I don't think Gagne's a terrible choice, but he just doesn't seem to have "it" from where I sit. Of course, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, so maybe he would be fantastic, I dunno, but from my limited perspective I feel like there's some better choices.

Old
09-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Kaktus*

I am not sure why Knuble deserves C?

Kapanen always plays like 6'2 and I love him for it but at this point he is 3rd or 4th line player.

Smith gets a C and Flyers resign him (Hatcher is gone)
Gagne A
Timonen A

This is a new team a lot of new faces and 2nd year players.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Hmm, guess my point didn't come across well. Of course I don't expect him to leave over something that trivial. I meant to say that if it indeed will be Richards some day, then giving it to Gagne means Richie will have to wait a long time before he can take it over since Gagne's not going anywhere either. I don't think Gagne's a terrible choice, but he just doesn't seem to have "it" from where I sit. Of course, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, so maybe he would be fantastic, I dunno, but from my limited perspective I feel like there's some better choices.
I see your point, and as much as I would like to see Richards be the captain some day, it doesn't have to happen in order for this team to be successful. Sure he would be a great captain, but if they feel Gagne is the right choice (for example) then that won't change how Richie plays or leads on the ice. They already recognize him as a leader and he always will be regardless of the letter.

I guess my point is that you can't be hesitant to give the C to Gagne because Richards could be a captain some day. If Gagne is the best choice, you don't give it to Smith because he won't be with the Flyers for as long. I know you don't agree Gagne is the best choice, just saying.

Old
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
CantSeeColors

I agree with what you're saying there. It's just everything I read makes it seem like it's set in stone that Richards will get it and we're just biding out time until it happens. If someone is a better choice and Richards never gets it, that's fine by me. It just doesn't seem to be going that way. We'll see. At least we have plenty of viable options at this point.

Old
09-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Friulian Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Friulian Flyers
DelcoTimes.com came out with an article stating that Gagne is ready to be the Captain now.....here is the link...
http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/app...t_Story_676909

Friulian Flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:45 PM
RJNSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
I don't believe in making someone the captain of a team before they even play 1 game with them.
I totally agree.

I voted for Gagne BTW

RJNSmith is offline   Reply With Quote