HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tough Guy In The USHL

Old
09-08-2007, 01:46 AM
wave rules 1

vCash: 500
Tough Guy In The USHL

Who was the toughest in the ushl last year

wave rules 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave rules 1 View Post
Who was the toughest in the ushl last year
Guess there wasn't any.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 09:51 AM
derbyfan

I know Brandon Bollig of the Stars had a pretty fearsome reputation, as did Petriki of Omaha, but I'm certainly not the expert on the USHL. Yeti, are you out there?

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
I know Brandon Bollig of the Stars had a pretty fearsome reputation, as did Petriki of Omaha, but I'm certainly not the expert on the USHL. Yeti, are you out there?
Yeah, I'm here. You're right about Brandon Bollig...he's back for his third and final year with the Stars. He's probably the best heavyweight in the league (6'2" 210). Last year, Brandon had a hard finding someone to dance with him because of his reputation. The kid can score as well...he's not just a cement-head. Lincoln lost a lot of scoring from last year, so I think Coach McGroarty might tell Brandon to stay out of the penalty box more often, and contribute more offensively.

Taylor McReynolds looks like he is returning with Green Bay. He's another tough guy. He's not as big as Bollig, but he likes to scrap. Donnie Hallmark from Sioux City is probably right behind Bollig...but he's a little smaller like McReynolds. Chris Hepp from Omaha, who is returning for his 4th year (wow!) is another kid who isn't afraid to drop the gloves.

Lincoln Stars also picked up Mike Dalhuisen from the Chicago Steel. He had 6 fighting majors in 31 games last year. Big kid too (6'3", 210).

So I guess Bollig would be the runaway heavyweight in the USHL right now. If you do a search on youtube for him, you can watch him in action.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 04:31 PM
sftravis

Bickel and Bollig were the toughest last year.

sftravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 09:05 PM
james bond

Last year, Nick Petrecki was considered tough. However, I do remember (its on youtube) that Colby Cohen kicked his butt.
Cohen isnt a tough guy per se, but could definately throw em.

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
dirtydangles

indiana's ryan scott, no question

dirtydangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydangles View Post
Yup, he's a big kid...but Bollig beat him pretty good when Indiana came to Lincoln last season in March. I remember that game. It was a Friday night, and the next game on Saturday night both goalies went at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rEeKQjDLM

Bickel was a decent fighter last year, but he's moved on to college. He had some good fights with Bollig. Petrecki had a nasty reputation, but more so because he was a vicious hitter. He didn't drop the gloves that much, but he could really throw his body around.

Old
09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Kevin Wey

Fighters in the USHL:

Cedar Rapids
Ian Slater will drop the gloves, but at 6'1" 185 pounds, he's not a heavyweight. Neither is Tyler Thompson. It's possible that rookie defenseman Bryce Aneloski will pick up some slack in this area, as he averaged almost two PIMs per game with Team Illinois and is 6'2" 205. Aneloski's game isn't just physical play, though.

Chicago
No one on their team is an established heavyweight, although there are a couple smaller, scrappy players. Aaron Schmit, who's 6'4" 225 pounds out of Culver Academy, may be asked to fulfill this some. Youngster Barron Smith averaged almost two PIMs per game with the Chicago Mission midget minor team, but it's hard to know how many of those came down to Smith just being too big compared to his competition (6'5", 185 pounds is big for his age).

Des Moines
Rookie defenseman Andrew Panzarella comes out of the Washington Junior Nationals AJHL team, where he had 232 PIM in 41 games. He fought often and picked up numerous dimes, and the early returns from the exhibition season look like he'll duplicate this. He's 6'1", 180, so he's not at heavyweight status in size. Kyle Bailey will throw down, as will Greg Burgdoerfer (who's 6'2, 205"). Bobby Reiners is very physical, but he's not a heavyweight at 6'0" 190 pounds.

Green Bay
Taylor McReynolds picked up plenty of PIM's last year, but he's 6'0" 190 pounds. Phil Ginand will bring some more of that, as he put up 118 PIMs in 45 games for the New England Jr. Huskies in the EJHL last season. He's 6'0" 180 pounds.

Indiana
Ryan Scott obviously makes the list at 6'6" 235, and 160 PIMs in 46 games. Ian Ruel could join the club at 6'2", 194 pounds, and he plenty of penalty minutes for Victory Honda in Midget AAA action last year.

Lincoln
Brandon Bollig may be the top fighter in the league, but he certainly is more than just that. Yeti also mentioned Dalhuisen and his action for Chicago last year. Although not at the same level, Kyle Follmer will throw down too and is 6'1" 190 pounds. Matt Bartkowski will, too, but not as often (he's 6'1", 203 pounds). One guy who might join that list is Mike Sdao. He's a 6'4", 210 pound defenseman out of Culver Academy who averaged about 2 PIMS per game. Kyle Verbeek out of the WOHL is pretty scrappy and is 5'11", 190 pounds.

Ohio
Richard Leitner makes the list for his 124 PIM in 55 games for the Alaska Avalanche of the NAHL last year. He's 6'1", 200 pounds. (His little brother will also be playing for the team).

Omaha
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this guy yet, but Andrew Conboy has to be up there. He's 6'4", 200 pounds, and is a Conboy. The Lancers also have Tyler Elbrecht coming from the Alaska Avalanche, Chris Hepp (already mentioned), and Colin Long from the Texas Tornado to add some punch to the line-up.

Sioux City
Cody Butcher joins the line-up from the Merritt Centennials of the BCHL, where the 6'1" 195 pound defenseman had 128 PIMs in 58 games. Ricky Dorriott's resume from Wichita Falls of the NAHL is similar at 129 PIMs in 48 games, but he's 6'5" 220 pounds! Donnie Hallmark has been mentioned and deserves it, and Kyle Lundey out of Dubuque of the CSHL should add toughness, too, at 6'2" 195 pounds and 104 PIMs in 41 games last year. Tom Serratore is not a heavyweight, but he had 188 PIMs in 60 games for the Colorado Rampage in AAA action last year.

Sioux Falls
Not so much, as Hartzell isn't a big proponent of fighting anyway.

Tri-City
At this point, Greg Thocker looks most likely to be the guy answer the call in this category. He had 72 PIMs in 32 games for Fargo-Moorhead in the NAHL last year and is 6'3", 195 pounds.

Waterloo
I have yet to determine if anyone will be playing the heavyweight roll for Waterloo. They do have one helluva roster at defense, though (to pay the Black Hawks a compliment).

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2007, 10:33 PM
hkyfn2

some one said mike blundin anialated brandon bolig in a game

hkyfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
dirtydangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Yup, he's a big kid...but Bollig beat him pretty good when Indiana came to Lincoln last season in March. I remember that game. It was a Friday night, and the next game on Saturday night both goalies went at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rEeKQjDLM

Bickel was a decent fighter last year, but he's moved on to college. He had some good fights with Bollig. Petrecki had a nasty reputation, but more so because he was a vicious hitter. He didn't drop the gloves that much, but he could really throw his body around.
i missed that one, i never saw ryan scott get handled in a fight, but then i never traveled on the road either - i do remember a good tilt between mike blundon and bollig last season in indy

nick bailen is solid "tough man" for indy, pound for pound among the best in the league.

new tough guys include ian ruel and john carlson, who is going to wreck people this season.

Old
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
dirtydangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyfn2 View Post
some one said mike blundin anialated brandon bolig in a game
i wouldnt say he annihilated bollig, but there was definitely some bloodshed, and it wasnt from blundon

Old
09-27-2007, 06:17 PM
c-carp

Who does the team in STL have that will drop the Gloves.

Thanks

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
Who does the team in STL have that will drop the Gloves.

Thanks
The USHL does not have a team in St. Louis.

Old
10-04-2007, 06:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

How does Conboy match up with the others listed in this thread? Never seen him play, so I'm wondering what to expect from him this year. Hope to see a couple games this year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Like Kevin previously mentioned...Conboy is certainly one of the tougher guys in the league. I forgot to mention him originally. He has the size, and the nasty streak. I know he isn't well liked by opposing fans...so that's usually a good sign. The Lincoln Stars fans can't stand him.

Old
10-04-2007, 08:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Like Kevin previously mentioned...Conboy is certainly one of the tougher guys in the league. I forgot to mention him originally. He has the size, and the nasty streak. I know he isn't well liked by opposing fans...so that's usually a good sign. The Lincoln Stars fans can't stand him.
Cool, thanks for the info. I saw his brother play in the AHL but I plan on seeing Andrew a couple times this year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:24 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Conboy with 19pim tonight and got kick out of the game lol really interesting prospect for the habs maybe our futur tough guy but going ncaa im wondering abut that? because of his style of play...

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Kevin Wey

Ian Ruel definitely should be on the list, and add Diederick Hagemeijer.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Two games in, and Bollig hasn't had a fight yet. Lincoln has always had the label of a "goon" team (a label that's unwarranted, imo)...but that was under former HC Steve Johnson. I don't recall Bollig dropping the gloves in the pre-season as well. I mentioned it earlier, but I think Bollig has been asked to not fight as much, and take more of a larger role on offense. Stay out of the box, basically.

Old
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
sftravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydangles View Post
Bickel killed Ryan at the Buc bowl in 2006. Busted his eye and nose up pretty good. I was sitting about 10ft away. I think that was the only time they went all year. I would not blame Ryan. Talk about a couple heavy weights though. Wow.

Old
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
sftravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Conboy with 19pim tonight and got kick out of the game lol really interesting prospect for the habs maybe our futur tough guy but going ncaa im wondering abut that? because of his style of play...

Conboy got leveled (totally legal hit) by Max Grover and then he jumped Grover from behind. Seems like a great guy.