HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT-Question about NYC Russian Population?

Old
09-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Devonator

vCash: 500
OT-Question about NYC Russian Population?

Hi guys...a Flyer fan that comes in peace with a question about New York's population of Russians???

I was reading a story about New York from either AP or Reuters and it alluded to the stat that NYC was home to approx. 1.5 million Russians????

I couldn't believe that?? I mean, I have heard their is perhaps around half a million Russians living in New York but never upto 1.5 million??

Even if this stat was including Russian Jews and Gentiles, I cannot imagine that New York has that many people from Russia living there??

Am I wrong or is this stat correct?

Nothing against Russians whatsoever as I am a Russophile as well as a Ameriphile....just seemed to be a odd stat...

Can any of you knowledgable New Yorkers help out this Naive Albertan??

Thanks

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
If the info I found is right, as of 2000, only 2.87 million New Yorkers were foreign-born... so it's not likely that half of them are Russian. Only 136,000 according to this, but I'm not sure.
http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/ce..._table_5_4.pdf

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 06:39 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

never belive what you read, and only half of what you see

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 09:44 AM
HenrikO'doyle

Maybe that counts Russians and Russian-Americans. For example th USA has 40 million Irish Americans but only about 200,000 were actually born in Ireland.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
There is also a BIG difference between New York and the New York Metropolitan Area. New York has a population of around 8 million, but the Metropolitan Area has a population of 18 million.

If the statisticians used the whole Metro Area, that means that 1.5 million Russians (or people of Russian origin) would be less than 10% of the population.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Some studies have put the NYC Metro area at up to 33 million. I don't know where the hell they are drawing their boundaries but some studies reach out pretty far for NYC Metro population.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 12:24 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Some studies have put the NYC Metro area at up to 33 million. I don't know where the hell they are drawing their boundaries but some studies reach out pretty far for NYC Metro population.
Hahah, there is dispute as to what makes up the TSA. I think the very high numbers probably count ALL of NJ, ALL of CT, and Pike County (PA) because they get local NYC channels. Sorry, Hartford, though you'd like to be a part of the NYC area, you are really not.

Old
09-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Islesfan039

Send a message via AIM to Islesfan039
A very large part of Brooklyn is Russian. I'm Russian myself, and we know a number of our people in Brooklyn (especially, obviously, Brighton Beach, but also scattered throughout the rest of the borough). I don't really know about 1.5 million though.

-- George.

Islesfan039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 01:43 PM
rickyrod

Are we only counting Russians, or including Soviet break-away countries as well?

I still don't think it's 1.5m, though. That's kind of surprising if it was Reuters or AP.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Technically, the NY Metropolitan Area includes parts of NY State, Northern NJ, and Western Connecticut, but in more practical terms, for instance if you count things based on where people commute to New York from, you could include a much larger area.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Most of the Jews here are either from Russia themselves or decendents of Russian Jews. Even Poland used to be part of Russia, not to mention Ukraine, etc.

Brandon Dubinsky is Russian/Polish and Steve Dubinsky is a Russian/Polish Jew. So do they count?

Also, people like Tkachuk, Hawerchuk, etc are ethnic Ukrainians who were born in the US or Canada. Western Canada has a huge Ukrainian population, but almost all were born in Canada. Would they count as Russians, Ukrainians or Canadians if they moved to NYC?

I don't believe there are 1.5 million people born in Russia who live in New York, but if you count descendants of Russian/Ukrainian (and Polish when it was part of Russia) immigrants, then it's probably even more than 1.5 million.

As far as ethnic Russians (not counting Jews, Ukrainians, etc) who were actually born in Russia, there are maybe 100,000 of them in New York City, maybe less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Hi guys...a Flyer fan that comes in peace with a question about New York's population of Russians???

I was reading a story about New York from either AP or Reuters and it alluded to the stat that NYC was home to approx. 1.5 million Russians????

I couldn't believe that?? I mean, I have heard their is perhaps around half a million Russians living in New York but never upto 1.5 million??

Even if this stat was including Russian Jews and Gentiles, I cannot imagine that New York has that many people from Russia living there??

Am I wrong or is this stat correct?

Nothing against Russians whatsoever as I am a Russophile as well as a Ameriphile....just seemed to be a odd stat...

Can any of you knowledgable New Yorkers help out this Naive Albertan??

Thanks

Last edited by Beacon: 09-08-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Yes, but that was a 2005 study that included Czech republic as part of NYC Metro area.

Quote:

Old
09-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Hahah, there is dispute as to what makes up the TSA. I think the very high numbers probably count ALL of NJ, ALL of CT, and Pike County (PA) because they get local NYC channels. Sorry, Hartford, though you'd like to be a part of the NYC area, you are really not.
Generally only Fairfield County (the rest of Conn is not) is counted as part of the greater NYC metro area. Also, it's only the northern part of New Jersey. Parts of southern Jersey is part of Philly's greater area.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Technically, the NY Metropolitan Area includes parts of NY State, Northern NJ, and Western Connecticut, but in more practical terms, for instance if you count things based on where people commute to New York from, you could include a much larger area.
That's right--last count I thought there was around 22-24 million in the greater metropolitian area, but as you pointed out, the areas covered are not exact static.

Old
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Generally only Fairfield County (the rest of Conn is not) is counted as part of the greater NYC metro area. Also, it's only the northern part of New Jersey. Parts of southern Jersey is part of Philly's greater area.
I'd count Litchfield and New Haven counties, too, and New Jersey through Mercer. Philly can have the rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N...lustration.PNG

Old
09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
hockeyfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Are we only counting Russians, or including Soviet break-away countries as well?

I still don't think it's 1.5m, though. That's kind of surprising if it was Reuters or AP.
I'm originally from russian living here in usa and i can tell you for sure that here russian call everybody why come from old soviet union. it doesn't matter from where you are: Russia, Ukrain, Armenia, Uzbekistan.... here you call russsian doesn't matter what nationality you in reality

hockeyfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
hockeyfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Most of the Jews here are either from Russia themselves or decendents of Russian Jews. Even Poland used to be part of Russia, not to mention Ukraine, etc.

Brandon Dubinsky is Russian/Polish and Steve Dubinsky is a Russian/Polish Jew. So do they count?

Also, people like Tkachuk, Hawerchuk, etc are ethnic Ukrainians who were born in the US or Canada. Western Canada has a huge Ukrainian population, but almost all were born in Canada. Would they count as Russians, Ukrainians or Canadians if they moved to NYC?

I don't believe there are 1.5 million people born in Russia who live in New York, but if you count descendants of Russian/Ukrainian (and Polish when it was part of Russia) immigrants, then it's probably even more than 1.5 million.

As far as ethnic Russians (not counting Jews, Ukrainians, etc) who were actually born in Russia, there are maybe 100,000 of them in New York City, maybe less.
You could includ gretsky to that too. if i'm not mistaken his grandparets originaly coem to canada from Ukrain or South part of russian I'm don't remember for sure that city.

hockeyfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Devonator

Thanks for all the interesting replies my New York friends...

Okay...so what exactly then is the correct population of New York proper?? I am getting various answers here...could someone clarify to me exactly what New York entails?? Bronx, Queens, Long Island, Brooklyn, Manhatten etc etc....what else....

Secondly, perhaps the article was referring to people from the former Soviet Union which in that case would mean a multitude of different ethnicities though I'm sure they could all speak Russian...

Okay....so how many Russians...just Russians mind ....are there in the New York Area by most estimations?

Thanks for all your help.....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Okay...so what exactly then is the correct population of New York proper?? I am getting various answers here...could someone clarify to me exactly what New York entails?? Bronx, Queens, Long Island, Brooklyn, Manhatten etc etc....what else....
Wherever the NYPD roams: The Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Secondly, perhaps the article was referring to people from the former Soviet Union which in that case would mean a multitude of different ethnicities though I'm sure they could all speak Russian...

Okay....so how many Russians...just Russians mind ....are there in the New York Area by most estimations?

Last census I believe the number of Russian born was around 700,000 in NYC proper (the 5 boros mentioned above). The population of New York City is officially around 8.25 million.

Old
09-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The 5 boroughs you've mentioned is NYC. The rest is NY suburbs.

The 5 boroughs have about 9 million people, about 1 million of them born in the Soviet Union.

Quote:

Old
09-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
The 5 boroughs you've mentioned is NYC. The rest is NY suburbs.

The 5 boroughs have about 9 million people, about 1 million of them born in the Soviet Union.
Nope, NYC isn't up to 9 million--yet. Here's the most recent numbers from nyc.gov http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/census/popcur.shtml

Change in Population
Census Bureau and DCP Estimates
April 2000 to July 2005

Change:
Census 2000
and DCP 2005
Number Percent

2000 Census (1) 2005 Census Bureau(2) 2005DCPEstimates
(DCP=NYC dept of
planning) (3)
New York City
8,008,278 8,143,197 8,213,839

Bronx
1,332,650 1,357,589 1,364,566

Brooklyn
2,465,326 2,486,235 2,511,408

Manhattan
1,537,195 1,593,200 1,606,275

Queens
2,229,379 2,241,600 2,256,576

Staten Island
443,728 464,573 475,014

Sources:
1--2000 Census enumerated population
2--Initial Census Bureau estimates from the Current Estimates Program
3--DCP estimates adopted by the Census Bureau in September 2006

As for how many were born in the former USSR--a million is probably a little too high. It's probably closer to 750,000 but I'm too tired to hunt around for the totals.

Edit: the table didn't come out too well--the 3 numbers correspond to the headings of 2000 census, 2005 census estimates and 2005 DCP estimates (that were adopted by the census after a court fight). So, it's 8,213,839 and counting as of 2005.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 09-09-2007 at 01:11 AM.