HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan White at RW?

Old
09-08-2007, 11:21 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Ryan White at RW?

RDS' list of players at camp had Ryan White listed as a Right Wing. I don't know if this is RDS just being incorrect, but if not, anyone think this is a good idea? He's not the greatest skater or stickhandler, so I think his strengths and weaknesses would be better suited to the wing instead of keeping him at center.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:29 AM
TheHoser

I agree, his best asset is his ability to win battles along the boards, and I think he'll see a lot more of that at wing than at center.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:30 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
I agree, his best asset is his ability to win battles along the boards, and I think he'll see a lot more of that at wing than at center.
As a center you have to be able to control the puck and I don't think Ryan White's stickhandling and speed would be best suited at Center. So a conversion to the wing would be great for White.. he's got a great shot and he's an underrated playmaker, he is also strong along the boards as you said.

Old
09-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
As a center you have to be able to control the puck and I don't think Ryan White's stickhandling and speed would be best suited at Center. So a conversion to the wing would be great for White.. he's got a great shot and he's an underrated playmaker, he is also strong along the boards as you said.
We are jampack at center (Lapierre, Chipchura, Maxwell, maybe Grabovski but can play at wings too, Fortier...) but we are thin at wings. It's not a bad idea to convert White as RW, but I thought one of his strenght was in faceoff...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 11:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
We are jampack at center (Lapierre, Chipchura, Maxwell, maybe Grabovski but can play at wings too, Fortier...) but we are thin at wings. It's not a bad idea to convert White as RW, but I thought one of his strenght was in faceoff...
This could be true, but it's nothing to have a player take a face-off and then move back to his wing position after the draw.

Old
09-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Same thing on Habs web page...
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/l_...ticleid=336736

Old
09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
This could be true, but it's nothing to have a player take a face-off and then move back to his wing position after the draw.
It's very rare, no?

Old
09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
It's very rare, no?
It is.. but I've seen it done before.. and it's the same as a center being kicked out of the draw and having a winger take it. Deliberately, it's rare.. but it happens plenty of times a game.

Old
09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
It is.. but I've seen it done before.. and it's the same as a center being kicked out of the draw and having a winger take it. Deliberately, it's rare.. but it happens plenty of times a game.
Neverthenless, I think it's a good decision to try White at wings... because there's no room for him at center but we want to see him in the lineup soon!

Old
09-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Le depisteur

By the way, here are old comments (12/07/2006) by McKeen's about White:

- If he was not a hockey player, says he would be a rock star and it sure shows in his on-ice personality

- has a competitive fire raging within .. always mixing it up with defense after whistles .. aggressive forechecker is always the first man to return on the back check

- possesses a choppy skating style which is nonetheless quick and effective .. agile on skates and changes directions quickly

- has composure and puck poise .. shows supreme confidence in himself .. advances the play real well as center

- hard-nosed forward with a low center of gravity .. phenomenal on face-offs .. was unable to showcase any offensive talents other than efficient passing ability

- Montreal's 2005 3rd round pick will make an ideal 3rd line center with incredible face-off ability

Old
09-08-2007, 12:37 PM
sbtatter

Whitey will be a more effective centre in the NHL than Maxwell. He's like Chipchura, but better!!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
His stickhandling is actually good, in game situations....Don't get me wrong, he'll play wherever the coach tells him, but he is a natural centre....and has all the skills required for that position

Old
09-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Bullsmith

We finally draft a right-shooting center with some physical presence and now we want to move him to the wing? My understanding was that we have a desperate lack of center prospects who shoot right.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to the wing at some point when he goes to Hamilton after this season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2007, 01:38 PM
sbtatter

With Atlanta signing Holzapfel and other teams signing 06 draftees I wonder why the Habs aren't signing Maxwell and White? How soon did they sign Chipchura after drafting him?

Old
09-08-2007, 01:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
With Atlanta signing Holzapfel and other teams signing 06 draftees I wonder why the Habs aren't signing Maxwell and White? How soon did they sign Chipchura after drafting him?
The Habs never seem to do that. The only player they signed before his season ended in the year that the player had to be signed by the June 1st deadline, was Latendresse. I personally don't think they will sign either Maxwell or White until their season is done unless they somehow impress enough to make the Habs, which seems like a long shot.

Chipchura wasn't signed until his season was over with Prince Albert. He was signed to an AHL contract and went to Hamilton but his agent didn't want him to play (for fear of injury) until he had an NHL contract, which he got within a day or two.

Old
09-08-2007, 01:56 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The Habs never seem to do that. The only player they signed before his season ended in the year that the player had to be signed by the June 1st deadline, was Latendresse. I personally don't think they will sign either Maxwell or White until their season is done unless they somehow impress enough to make the Habs, which seems like a long shot.

Chipchura wasn't signed until his season was over with Prince Albert. He was signed to an AHL contract and went to Hamilton but his agent didn't want him to play (for fear of injury) until he had an NHL contract, which he got within a day or two.
If they chose not to sign these 2 by June 1st 2008, they are free to sign whereever they want, correct?

Old
09-08-2007, 02:01 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
If they chose not to sign these 2 by June 1st 2008, they are free to sign whereever they want, correct?
No they re enter the draft. But unless there's problems over money, I don't see why both won't be signed by some time in March/April. Although it looks like the Hitmen could have a big year getting Seabrook and Galiardi, so maybe they will have a shot at the Memorial Cup. Either way I expect these guys to be signed before June 1st. Heck I could even see Cepek getting signed for ECHL depth if he has a decent season.

Old
09-08-2007, 02:13 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No they re enter the draft. But unless there's problems over money, I don't see why both won't be signed by some time in March/April. Although it looks like the Hitmen could have a big year getting Seabrook and Galiardi, so maybe they will have a shot at the Memorial Cup. Either way I expect these guys to be signed before June 1st. Heck I could even see Cepek getting signed for ECHL depth if he has a decent season.
The Hitmen are my pick to win the East and maybe even win the dub and go to the Memorial Cup this season...