HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you become an Oiler fan????

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Tanko

vCash: 500
How did you become an Oiler fan????

Takeoff from the other post about other favorite teams.I guess this applies mostly to Oiler fans outside of Edmonton.

My answer is simple I watched Wayne Gretzky play for my hometown Greyhounds as a kid and followed him to the Oilers but stayed an Oiler fan when he was dealt.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Allan

I was born in Edmonton in 1980 to a hockey mad mother. It was kind of hard not to get caught up in it - I've been a fan since birth!

Old
01-07-2004, 07:25 AM
barto

I grew up in Lethbridge, about 2 hours south of Calgary, but was a Leafs fan when I was a kid (Dave Keon, Darryl Sittler - THOSE Leafs). When Harold Ballard took over and started making some of those stupid moves, I lost interest in all hockey for a few years. When I started looking at it again, the Oilers and Flames were new on the scene, with the Oilers playing some pretty exciting hockey.

Being south of Calgary, we got a lot of Flames games on the tube, so I was about a 50/50 Calgary/Edmonton fan. But I moved up to Edmonton in Jan. of 1986, and within about 2 months it was more like 90/10 in favor of the Oilers, and by now (18 years later!) I hate to admit ever being a Flames fan...

I was also lucky to get tickets to Game 2 of the 1987 Cup Final, and had a quarter-share of season's tickets in '86-'87 as well. Haven't looked back! Well, maybe at the Heritage Classic, but you know what I mean...

Bart

Old
01-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Born in 1979 and grew up in Edmonton watching Oiler hockey with all my kin. The best time to live in Edmonton. Now I'm in Vancouver which incidentally... seems to be the best time to live in Vancouver!

Old
01-07-2004, 07:34 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Lived in Edmonton as a kid (From 1980-86), during which time I started to become interested in Hockey.

The Oilers were the hometown team, and even after I moved away, they were still winning, so at that time (being like 8), they were still a good choice.

Then as I got older, they stuck... even through the lean times.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Oilers1*

During the playoff upset over Dallas. And no, I wasn't a total bandwagoner.

I told anyone who would listen that year that the Oilers would make the playoffs and knock off a top team because they had, IMO, the main ingredients needed in an upset team; goaltending, speed, youth. But when they started to falter down the stretch and drew Dallas (who they had a terrible record against. Not that I needed to tell you that), I was practically laughed at. So I got great pleasure in watching them do exactly what I said they would do and started to develop an affinity for them because of that.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Oilers Hockey

I was born in 1982 and grew up in Calgary. My family cheers for the Flames but I never did, I always liked the Oilers for some reason. When I was six my mom bought me a pair of Flames gloves for winter and I hated them so I tore them apart. Now I'm a die hard fan.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Luoma

Like alot of you, I lived in Edmonton during for a few years as a child in the 80's. Add onto that Tikkanen, the early years and I was hooked. I stopped watching for a bit but since they brought Luoma over from Tappara i've been alot more interested.

Besides who else would you be a fan of? All the other teams that are half good spend way to much money, its like they think they can buy the cup.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:00 AM
woody

I grew up watching thw WHA with Al Hamilton, Mike Zuke, Frank Beaton, Dave Dryden, Rick Morris and Paul Smyer as my favourites. I also was at the game when Wanye Gretzky had his 18th birthday at center ice which was pretty neat.

Last edited by woody: 01-07-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old
01-07-2004, 09:40 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Lived in Edmonton during the mid 80s as a child, so I was basically following Oilers hockey since I was 4...then my family moved to Asia...where there is no hockey, and I started to forget about hockey until the invention of the internet and I began to follow hockey again. And for some reason when I picked it up again, I immediately began following the Oilers.
I think during those dark years in Asia, the Oilers were still in the back of my mind. Of course, the Wayne Gretzky autographed stick and my picture with Glenn Anderson in the back of my closet helped.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Oiler Fan from birth(1984), my hometown was Fort McKay grow up there until 12 moved to Fort McMurray and have been the biggest oilers fan that i know

Old
01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Oylerz

As a 10-12yr old growing up in Thunder Bay, Ontario I became fascinated with the game of Hockey. I remember inheriting my dad's size 10 tube skates and sticking one of his wooly socks in the skate and my size 6 feet into the remaining space. My parents were not sports fans but I remember spending most of those winters on my neighbors rink and in the summertime I'd take my stick and a tennis ball out in the street and play with anyone who would playusually though I ended up stickhandling the tennis ball all over the raod by myself.

The spring after I turned 13 I remember finally getting a chance to watch Hockey Night in Canada. I think my Dad had finally seen all of John Wayne's movies and hadn't yet started on James Bond, but he began to let me watch HNIC during the finals in 1988. Well, being a nieve 13yr old with no outside influence for team allegiances I cheered for the greatest player in the world of course and became a fan of the team that swept those 1988 finals over the evil Black team from Boston. I remember the blackout in Game 4, and the subsdequent Home win that Gretzky's team was able to bring to the fans in Edmonton.

I have been an Oiler fan ever since and I remember at Christmas in 1989 getting an Oilers jersey with #10 on the back. I never really payed attention to numbers but my dad asked me what number I wanted on it and I said 10 and to this day I couldn't tell you why I chose it, but shortly afterwards Tikkanen became my favourite Oiler.

Economics and location has dictated that I have, as of yet, been unable to see my favourite team play live but a recent move to London, Ontario has put me within driving distance of several NHL Arenas and I am now in the process of saving my pennys so that one day I can go and see them play.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Lowetide

Grew up in a Leaf house in the 60s, which meant Mahovlich, Keon, Horton and Bower were Gods and the Habs always got the breaks. Late 60s when Orr came along, he took just about every kid my generation and made them into Bruins fans. He was the best player I've ever seen.

Growing up in Saskatchewan, the NHL was sort of like the man in the moon, a far off place. The Oilers changed all that, and they did it in a hurry. Jim Harrison, Al Hamilton and others were signed and right from the start they were a pretty entertaining team (I don't remember the date or anything, but Jim Harrison scored a bunch of goals one game early on, got lots of attention).

Anyway, the first professional game I ever saw was a WHA Oiler game, and it was so much better than anything I'd ever seen. Then came the great teams of the 80s, and I don't think I could ever really cheer for a team the way I cheer for the Oilers.

They're a part of life in my house, just like the Leafs were in my dad's house.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I come from a traditional Muslim family who was never ever into sports, I got hooked on it in 1990, The Klima goal to be exact. I have since been a die hard fan from my youthhood, Some of my high points include trashing my buddies locker in Junior High, he was a Avs fan, and when we eliminated them from the playoffs in 98, I went to school a wee bit early and decorated his locker for him. I cut out the newspaper clippings from the Sun and Journal and posted them on his locker along with a few hand-made posters.

It was tough going for me because I basically fell in love with the Oil at the wrong time, they won that 90 cup and I was hooked, by 92, they were pretty bad, so It was a tough 5 years after that, then 97 came.

So now in 2004, Im just a big of fan as Ive ever been, and even have my mom swearing in Lebanese when Tommy Salo lets in a softy, or MacT puts Scott Ferguson on the PP.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Freudian slips

My dad hated the Montreal Canadiens back in the late 70's, so at the time my favourite team was the Boston Bruins...but they could never topple the Habs back then - and it literally broke my heart when the infamous too-many-men-on-the-ice call was made on Don Cherry. However, a year or two later an upstart team from Edmonton did something that the Bruins could never do - beat Lafleur and the gang - and dethrone the Champs! I've loved the Oilers ever since that series, and always will. Plus, they're a Canadian team to boot.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:36 PM
oildrop

Born and raised an Edmonton Oiler fan. My family loved hockey and the Oilers and all of us still do to this day!

Old
01-07-2004, 12:56 PM
oilswell

Simple tale

I grew up in an Edmonton family who watched HNIC on Saturdays before Edmonton was in the NHL. As a kid I was a fan of the Candiens of the late 70s and particularly guys like Shutt and Dryden. After the Oilers hit in 79 our family got immediately hooked (my sister in part because of the young men on the team who weren't much older than her...now she plays pickup hockey). The celebration downtown after the first cup still brings goosebumps on my neck it was like a pilgrimmage. Later years lacked the spontaneous outpouring...were more crass and violent. Still, the memories stick. My favourite memory arguably was when Gretzky scored that 5th into the Philly net at home for 50 in 39. A boy, really, only a few more months older than Hemsky is right now. It couldn't come true but it did. A holdiay gift on Dec 30, 1981. For a hockey-mad kid, life was what it was supposed to be.

In the 90s I had trouble watching the games but I didn't lose my interest in the team. I no longer live in the Edmonton area, but now, especially with the Internet and satellite, the Oilers are a full-time location-independent entertainment generating machine. No point in watching soap operas when we have Comrie, MacT juggling, losing streaks, Heritage Classics (although those are getting scarcer by the minute) and occasional flashes of brilliance. Its part drama, part reality TV. And interactive too with the forums populated by undoubtedly some of the best talkers out there.

Why go anywhere else or do anything else? All this for the price of a satellite feed, a broadband connection, and the beer supply. Well, OK, the beer might have been a fixed cost anyway.

Last edited by oilswell: 01-07-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 01:27 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Born in 1982 and never heard of the sport until a visit to Edmonton in 1988, too young to know which team was which I just watched a sport that looked enjoyable, back to England at the end of the winter and to the world of football (soccer 2 u ppl ), then came 1992 (i think) and the Olympic games and I saw the match Russia vs USA it was a semi final and I was supporting the Russians, well some guy in a red shirt scored and i was happy and the Russians won.

Then I visited Edmonton again in 1994, this time a bit more older and enough to realise who is who and remember names like Buchberger, Weight, DeBrusk etc. I still fortunately never realised how bad the Oilers were just that whenever I watched them they would lose. Again back to England with no Oilers news until 1998.

At that time we got the Internet at university and so onto the Newsgroups I went (where I met Dr Van Nostrin) and Yahoo Groups (where I met Det mod Vyacheslav), followed the Oilers from there and NHL.com, Faceoff.com and ESPN.com places where i still visit now. The last time i visited back in 2000 i finally got to see my first oilers game live at the skyreach centre where i saw a Dan Cleary goal as the Oil beat the Hawks 3-1. Had a blast and ensured I'd be a full time hockey fan

Old
01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
punk_o_holic

Bruins vs the Oilers..stanley cup finals...brothers and there friends were cheering for the Bruins so I played Devils Advocate and chose the Oilers...they won and became a fan of them(even if they lost I would have liked the Oilers)..I'm lucky, I could have been a Bruins fan instead, yuck

Old
01-07-2004, 06:17 PM
cram

Aaaaaah...reading many of these posts, I can't help but get all teary eyed, all these wonderful and some not so wonderful memories that are shared by Oiler fans alike, these are the times that make me feel proud...I on the other hand was thrust onto the Oil upon immigrating from Chile at age 9 in 1986, a week or two before the most infamous playoff series in Oiler history bagan, my father, whom I had not seen for over seven years introduced me to the "best team of all time" as he liked to call them, and I was hooked, unfortunately, my first Oiler memory is the picture of Steve Smith down on both knees at Northlands after "the goal" the following morning as I was not allowed to stay up by my aunt to watch the game....after that there were no other teams for me, it was Edmonton and the 20 other teams at the time, I followed the 1987 season like a hawk and vividly recall jumping up and down our couch with my brother and father when Anderson scored the 3-1 goal on Hextall, aaaaahh, the memories!

Old
01-07-2004, 06:22 PM
heavyhauler

vCash: 1240
being born in 71 and playing hockey since i was 5 cheering for the oilers was a give in being from northeastern alberta. Infact are minor hockey teams in Cold Lake were called the oilers.Infact we had a goalie on are team that now covers the oilers right Jean-Guy, so if you were from here you WERE an oilers fan.We hated the Flames with a passion and Loved the battle of alberta. We went to many Oilers games as a child with are minor hockey teams,and was a special treat when dad got tickets to a game. I was able to see the oilers win the cup agains philly in a game 7 and thats a moment i will never forget.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:56 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I come from a traditional Muslim family who was never ever into sports, I got hooked on it in 1990, The Klima goal to be exact. I have since been a die hard fan from my youthhood, Some of my high points include trashing my buddies locker in Junior High, he was a Avs fan, and when we eliminated them from the playoffs in 98, I went to school a wee bit early and decorated his locker for him. I cut out the newspaper clippings from the Sun and Journal and posted them on his locker along with a few hand-made posters.

It was tough going for me because I basically fell in love with the Oil at the wrong time, they won that 90 cup and I was hooked, by 92, they were pretty bad, so It was a tough 5 years after that, then 97 came.

So now in 2004, Im just a big of fan as Ive ever been, and even have my mom swearing in Lebanese when Tommy Salo lets in a softy, or MacT puts Scott Ferguson on the PP.
Shadi Hrati?

GXL

Old
01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
GorillazXL

When I got my Flyer swatter from my dad and waved it around while playing street hockey...Anderson was my favourite Oiler, Gretzky was my fathers and Fuhr was my brothers the sister and the mom like Simpson... I guess you can say it runs in the family.

GXL

Old
01-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Master Lok

Born in 71. I remember reading news stories and the buzz in 1981 when the upstart Oilers beat the legendary Canadians and but wasn't hooked until the next series when the Oilers gave the then NHL Stanley Cup Champions Islanders hell. Even though they lost, I remember staying up past bedtime, listening to the radio as this young team of kids from nowhere Edmonton, had the temerity and the audacity to give the champs all they could handle. Well, as a young and stupid kid of course I fell in love with such a spirited team.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
Shadi Hrati?

GXL
ummm... if your guessing my name, then no.

Closed Thread