Steve Stamkos #1 2008 NHL Draft Rankings

Old
10-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Gensfan91

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gensfan91
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Funny thing is TSN had an article on where Tavares would go in the 2008 draft if he got his wish and was bumped a year in the draft, and they were saying he would go #2 behind Stamkos, kinda makes you really think how much of the "John Tavares hype" was really just hype.

here's the article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217783&hubname=nhl
What team does Bob mcKenzie draft for..........I forget?

Gensfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan91 View Post
What team does Bob mcKenzie draft for..........I forget?
What major sports network do you work for...I forget.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Tinalera

I don't think it's hype, I think it's the type of player- Travares puts a heck of a lot of goals in, and I don't think it's hype about his ability. The argument that seems to debate is how much of a rounded player he is compared to Stamkos, I've only seen Travares once this year, he scored the only Gen goals in a loss to Sarnia. I can say that Stamkos is on the ice for all situations, PP, even strength and PK. I don't know, is Travares as good at even strength as he is on the PP and the PK? Someone who has watched him could tell me. Also, how much scoring does Travares have around him(I'm asking honestly, as I don't know)? In Sarnia this year, Stamkos has Gomes, Dibennidetto, Kennedy, Lombardi and even Didomete putting in points on a fairly consistent basis. Stamkos likes to share the puck(almost to a fault)as well. I don't think either of the players are hyped or overrated-with Travares on pace for an almost insane amount of goals and Stamkos right now playing at 1.5 pts per game pace after a slow start, both are very gifted talents who will go high in their respective drafts.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2007, 04:31 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I don't think it's hype, I think it's the type of player- Travares puts a heck of a lot of goals in, and I don't think it's hype about his ability. The argument that seems to debate is how much of a rounded player he is compared to Stamkos, I've only seen Travares once this year, he scored the only Gen goals in a loss to Sarnia. I can say that Stamkos is on the ice for all situations, PP, even strength and PK. I don't know, is Travares as good at even strength as he is on the PP and the PK? Someone who has watched him could tell me. Also, how much scoring does Travares have around him(I'm asking honestly, as I don't know)? In Sarnia this year, Stamkos has Gomes, Dibennidetto, Kennedy, Lombardi and even Didomete putting in points on a fairly consistent basis. Stamkos likes to share the puck(almost to a fault)as well. I don't think either of the players are hyped or overrated-with Travares on pace for an almost insane amount of goals and Stamkos right now playing at 1.5 pts per game pace after a slow start, both are very gifted talents who will go high in their respective drafts.
Good points. I don't think there is too much hype about either of these guys. I'm sure they will both be impact players at the next level. I've only seen Stamkos live once but even at that from what I heard and what I know of Tavares I think Stamkos will be the more all round player. That's not a knock on Tavares at all and I'm lean toward taking Tavares If they were both being drafted this year. Regarding the players around Tavares I can tell you at the beginning of the year McLean was serving the last five games of a suspension and Clutterbuck was gone so Tavares had Shea kEWAN and second year guy Dean Howard. Tavares was still able to produce and if you check Kewans numbers since McLEAN got back I think you will find kewan did most of his damage in the first five games. At the presnt time it's clear to me that MacLean looks even better ( stronger and faster ) then he did last year when he was a late first rounder . He also has that great wrist shot that seems to get on goalies quicker then they expect . That makes Dean Howard the luckiest guy in the O but to his credit I think he has picked it up and is a pretty good looking 17 year old. So they will be one of if not the top lines in the O this year. Tavares himself is a goal scoring machine ....also almost never loses a faceoff. The skating well...he'll never be Crosby but with 45 goals as a fifteen year old and 72 as a sixteen year old I'd ask what more could he have been expected to do so far. Same thing as Stamkos with the great sixteen year old season he had last year and now looking good again this year.....what more could he have done?

So where is the ever -hype with these two?

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Careful what you ask for, because if Stammer goes #1 the liklihood that this is his last season with the Sting increases exponentially. The best thing that could happen to Sting fans is that he lands with the Ducks,and we have a fighting chance that he's back for a third year in Sarnia.
Stamkos looks absolutely scary from what I've seen of him so far,and I think he will outpoint Tavares if he stays injury free.
WHAT!

I'm tired of this nonsense about Stamkos. I've seen both of them (Stamkos and Tavares) play and I know what MacKenzie's scouts have had to say and I think it's absolute baloney. Give me Tavares over Stamkos every day of the week and every month of the year. Tavares is a monster who has the stats to back it up (compare his to Stamkos ) and he WILL be a Phil Esposito type NHL player. It remains to be seen just how well Stamkos adapts to the NHL game. Many a speedster has had trouble transitioning to the NHL game...Daigle, Patrick Stefan, Joe Murphy and Pavel Brendl come to mind. I'm not saying Stamkos is bad he's just a year behind on the type of scrutiny that Tavares has been subject to since day one. I'd love to see what the scouts think of him by the end of the year. I'd be surprised if he even went No. 1. Doughty is the guy this year. Bet on it.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Tinalera

I guess we'll see what truly turns out after both of these guys have been in the NHL for a 3 or 4 years- I'm not playing favorites, they're both great players, and Stamkos seems to be comparable if one looks at stats, even after his slow start, he's shot from 30th to 9th in O scoring, only 8 points behind Travares at my last check- he could still make this interesting.

Oh, just to really have some fun- I say Del Zotto goes before Doughty

Old
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Heh.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
I guess we'll see what truly turns out after both of these guys have been in the NHL for a 3 or 4 years- I'm not playing favorites, they're both great players, and Stamkos seems to be comparable if one looks at stats, even after his slow start, he's shot from 30th to 9th in O scoring, only 8 points behind Travares at my last check- he could still make this interesting.

It's nine points, Tavares has played two less games, has less offensive support and is 8 months younger. But essentially I agree with you. They are both going to be great players. What bothers me is that Tavares' game has been over-scrutinized. I think Phil Kessel had the same thing happen to him and that's why he fell to Boston. He'd go higher if they did the draft all over again.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart McDonald View Post

It's nine points, Tavares has played two less games, has less offensive support and is 8 months younger. But essentially I agree with you. They are both going to be great players. What bothers me is that Tavares' game has been over-scrutinized. I think Phil Kessel had the same thing happen to him and that's why he fell to Boston. He'd go higher if they did the draft all over again.

I agree that being scrutinized so much isn't fair. I think the media in general sometimes has to remember that these guys are still kids essentially, and it's not fair. The media needs to sell ads though, and why not create a controversy over whether Stamkos or Travares is a better player. The Kessel/Crosby thing is STILL debated on the prospects board, it's nuts! . The whole competition thing is sad in the media, let these players develop without the hassle.

We only get to see Travares once a year in Sarnia, and I will say it was a treat to watch both these high prospects in the same game, and watching them in the faceoff circle now is something I can tell my kids about when they're in the circle in the NHL. Travares is something special, no doubt. Just let these guys do their thing so they both can get to the bigs and show us what they can really do(preferably in a nice playoff series )

Old
11-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Default101

wow how bout stamkos lately tho, 6G and 12 PTS in the last 4 games at this pace he'll be catching tavares in a few weeks... however i don't think anyone can expect him to keep this up.. it would be nice tho..

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Default101

Quote:
I don't think it's hype, I think it's the type of player- Travares puts a heck of a lot of goals in, and I don't think it's hype about his ability.
EXACTLY this is like the Crosby Ovechkin arguments, Stamkos=Crosby in the argument that he is the smallish all around player that makes his team better and doesn't have alot of weaknesses in his game Ovechkin=Tavares in the argument that he's a bigger guy with good lateral movement and scores like no one else out there.. i'm not saying that stamkos and tavares are as good as these 2, cause i think both crosby and ovechkin are better, but the argument reigns very true over these 2 that no one is negating their talent they just think that one is better than the other personally i think crosby is a better player than ovechkin, i still think alexander is a great player, same with this i think Stamkos is better, and apparently many of the scouts that went on tsn saying they would do the same agree, i think that because he's a more complete player and plays every aspect of the game well that he would be the better guy, that doesn't mean that i don't think tavares is going to be an elite NHLer.

Old
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Tinalera

Is anyone opposed to just a friendly tally of Travares and Stamkos? Looking as of Fri Nov 2, Travares was first with 34 points, Stamkos is 4th with 28, remembering that Travares has played to less games. We can update as need be.

I just think we're all mature enough to keep this in fun perspective, regardless of who we might think is better.

BTW, all of a sudden those monster leads in the West div by Soo and the 2nd place Spits isn't so large, with Sarnia only 5 and 4 points behind, with the other teams closing close behind, looks like the West div is about to get scarier as far as competition- the intra div games are going to get nasty in the west this year.

About that TSN report, that seems to really fire up people on both sides of the fence Man, I'm glad we're going to be able to say in a few years we watched these guys in Junior and what a treat it was.

Old
11-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Default101

Quote:
Is anyone opposed to just a friendly tally of Travares and Stamkos? Looking as of Fri Nov 2, Travares was first with 34 points, Stamkos is 4th with 28, remembering that Travares has played to less games. We can update as need be.

I just think we're all mature enough to keep this in fun perspective, regardless of who we might think is better.

BTW, all of a sudden those monster leads in the West div by Soo and the 2nd place Spits isn't so large, with Sarnia only 5 and 4 points behind, with the other teams closing close behind, looks like the West div is about to get scarier as far as competition- the intra div games are going to get nasty in the west this year.

About that TSN report, that seems to really fire up people on both sides of the fence Man, I'm glad we're going to be able to say in a few years we watched these guys in Junior and what a treat it was.

Thats why it could be considered as even as it is, Tavares is 1st in scoring and hasn't given that spot up all year, Stamkos is 4th but started out really slow in the last 11 games for tavares he has 21 points, in the last 11 games for Stamkos he has 20 points, so i think by the end of the year these 2 will be going head to head in scoring, but it's the fact that they do so much more for their teams that put them ahead of guys like azevedo and halischuk who are also among the league leaders.

Old
11-03-2007, 01:47 PM
leafmon

Quote:

Friendly tally....why not.....I hope they are both at the WJC.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Tinalera

I agree, it will be nice to see these guys at the WJC's. I'm relatively new to the world of prospect watching, so I am still learning about guys. Watched Doughty in Sarnia's tough loss last Friday-seems to have good instincts, and was interesting to watch him in shutdown mode against Stamkos, good battling for the puck between the two. And yeah, no points for Stamkos *l*, oh well, Sagniaw is the next game, and if it's like the last one it should be a doozy. Who's Oshawa facing next?