HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Aebischer an All-Star?

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
Aebischer an All-Star?

Looking at the statistics for the Western Conference goaltenders, it raises interesting questions.

Who will or deserves to be named as the two reserve netminders for the Western Conference?

I am not sure who is winning the fan voting for the starting job, probably Hasek which would be a total farce.

Aebischer currently sits with a 30 games played, a 17-7-5 record, a GAA of 2.03, a SAA of .929, and 3 shutouts. Out of any netminders that have played 25 games or more I think those are the best statistics in the conference or at least comparable. Aebischer's statistics are better than Osgood, Joseph, Cloutier, and Vokoun. Roloson, Mclennan, and Kipprusoff have better numbers, but they have played far fewer games (23, 19, and 16 respectively). In fact, based on games played Roloson, McLennan, and Kipprusoff are more similar to backup netminders or at least not full time starters.

I realize that much can change before the reserves are named, but I think it is an interesting question for debate (particularly since many posters seem to have widely varying opinions on Aebischer).

So is Aebisher an All-Star? If not, then why?

Old
01-07-2004, 08:47 AM
tmg

Before Kiprusoff's injury I'd have said no. Even with the reduced games played.

Now that Kipper's out, Abe probably has a shot.

I think Vokoun's a lock (and a prime reason why these decisions are best made on watching the player and not reading the stats sheet). Osgood or Aebischer as the other... close call.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I think he has played well enough to earn a shot, based on statistics alone. Sure he's got a lot of defensive talent in front of him but he still has to stop the pucks and he has done well in that regard.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:50 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
yeah Abby should get one of those 2 reserve slots....hes played very good if not great this year.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

They can only put so many Avs on the team, and I think that Aebischer may be the victim of the numbers game.

Nabokov should get a shot IMO

Old
01-07-2004, 08:57 AM
LaVal

since Marty Turco will be voted in (sadly enough), Vokoun and Roloson should be the other 2.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:00 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
They can only put so many Avs on the team, and I think that Aebischer may be the victim of the numbers game.

Good point. Though the NHL has abandoned its hard-and-fast rule of 'every team gets a representative', I don't think the NHL will want to send 6 players from the same team.

The fact that the game's in Minny gives Roloson extra consideration.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:07 AM
THE NEXT ONE #87

I think Aebischer will earn the honor! He plays much better than expected! His a future Allstar Goalie. Lucky Avs

Old
01-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Goodluck trying to outvote Marty Turco. Marty will start no matter what, the difference between him and 2nd was quite huge the last time I checked. And he's earned it so I'm happy for him, that, and I thought he was the West's top netminder in last years All-Star game. Grabbing 2nd or 3rd star honours..

Closed Thread