Notices

Gauthier

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 05:13 PM
sluggo*

vCash: 500
Gauthier

There are some rumors in the Leaf board that Gauthier has been put on the block (I forget the source, sorry) however we're not sure what it would cost to get Gauthier, what do you guys think (realisticly) it would take for the Leafs to get Gauthier from the Flames.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Oi'll say!

There was a short little blurb in the Edm Journal on the weekend that mentioned DG's name was making the rounds as well, the way Dion Phaneuf is playing I can almost see why.

We are hearing the same kinds of things about Brewer, maybe there's a big market team trying to pry a big name d-man off of one of the small market teams. The names could be getting mentioned from the other side and our GM's are just listening to the offers, maybe even making counter-offers.

I really doubt that the Oil and Flames are the ones initiating the talks if there really are any.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:14 PM
icarus

There have long been Gauthier rumours in Calgary. However, if the Flames trade Gauthier this season, Montador becomes a top six, Commodore gets called up as the #7, and then there is no-one (save an injured Wallin) left as a call-up. Not wise for a team looking at the playoffs, unless of course a blueliner comes back in the trade. I could see Gauthier get traded next season when Phaneuf probably turns pro, but not this year.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

I would do a Denis Gauthier for Matthew Stajan deal. Straight across.

The Flames need healthy centers, and with Blair Betts' career in jeopardy due to chronic injury problems (knee and shoulder), a young NHL-ready defensive center is an organizational need.

Old
01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman

The Flames need healthy centers, and with Blair Betts' career in jeopardy due to chronic injury problems (knee and shoulder), a young NHL-ready defensive center is an organizational need.
Stajans not going anywhere.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Stajans not going anywhere.
True. Ferguson is too smart to go for that. He would probably want Leopold.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:45 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
The Leafs have no need for Leopold. They have the highest scoring defense in the eastern conferese - Klee has 23 pts, McCabe 22, Kaberle 12 (though hes normally good for 45+ a year), and Pilar is on track for a 31 pt season. The Leafs need physical and defensive D-men (the kind that will play hard along the boards and clear the front of the net), not point producers.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:19 PM
kruezer

On a bit of a different note, how about Denis Gauthier to Buffalo for Curtis Brown and maybe a pick.

I think this would help, a solid young defensive d-man for Buffalo (just going on reports, I'm not too sure what they need, but Gauthier might be right) and we get a center who could be a solid leader and maybe chip in 30 points a year. I mean our D-depth isn't anything special, but I think our forwards are in a lot more trouble right now. Especially since I'm doubting Betts' career more and more with each injury.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Leopold for a checking center? No thanks. Stajan is decent, but just because Leaf fans think he's a talented youngster, that doesn't make him a bluechip prospect to other fans. I'd do a toss-up between Stajan and Betts, doesn't matter - both will be decent checking centers in the NHL, but that's it.

Leopold is a stud defenceman who Stajan alone could never land.

Old
01-06-2004, 04:33 AM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman

Wow, way to blow Betts' status out of proportion.

His knee injuries are ancient history now. His shoulder injury is a concern, but other players have come back from similar circumstances....Josh Green and Mike Grier to name two.

I think saying his career is in jeopardy is a reach at this point.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
There are some rumors in the Leaf board that Gauthier has been put on the block (I forget the source, sorry) however we're not sure what it would cost to get Gauthier, what do you guys think (realisticly) it would take for the Leafs to get Gauthier from the Flames.
"Rumors" on the Leafs are hardly a legimate source. A couple months ago, the Leafs were mentioned as a team, along with Montreal & one or two others, who had expressed interest. In the future, please post the word, "proposal," in the title of the thread if you're going to post proposals here. Although this had led to a lively discussion, these are the same recommendations, which appear on the Trade Rumors board.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Leopold for a checking center? No thanks. Stajan is decent, but just because Leaf fans think he's a talented youngster, that doesn't make him a bluechip prospect to other fans. I'd do a toss-up between Stajan and Betts, doesn't matter - both will be decent checking centers in the NHL, but that's it.

Leopold is a stud defenceman who Stajan alone could never land.
I think Leopold is overrated but I agree it would require a bit more than Stajan to get him. Conversely it would require Gauthier plus something to land Stajan.
Betts upside is a checking line center. That is Stajan's downside. His upside is probably an elite 2nd line forward but most likely he will be a solid 2nd line forward.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:15 PM
icarus

You think Leopold is overrated, at least two of us think Stajan is overrated. Time to end this discussion.

Old
01-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Red Bull

Quote:
I think Leopold is overrated but I agree it would require a bit more than Stajan to get him. Conversely it would require Gauthier plus something to land Stajan.
Betts upside is a checking line center. That is Stajan's downside. His upside is probably an elite 2nd line forward but most likely he will be a solid 2nd line forward.
Wait, you were serious? I thought you were kidding around!

Leopold>>>>Stajan

Old
01-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

I don't think I've seen anybody overrate Leopold Cyclops.

Watch the kid play closely for a few games and I'm 100% sure you're tune would change. He's a future all star in this league. The Flames are the 2nd best defensive team in the league right now and it hasn't been all goaltending (McLennan ain't that good.) And our top defense pair is a couple of 23 year olds in Regehr and Leopold. That should tell you something.

Did I mention he was 23? People outside of Calgary may not be big Regehr or Leopold believers right now but that won't last very long. They're as close to untouchable on our team right now as anybody.

Old
01-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
That is Stajan's downside. His upside is probably an elite 2nd line forward but most likely he will be a solid 2nd line forward.
....And this guy thinks Leopold is overrated. Yikes!

Old
01-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Ozy_Flame

Matt Stajan, to me, will be at tops a second line forward, and that assuming he catches a lucky break on a weaker team. Realistically, I see him as a checking line center and no more. He is almost equal to Betts in that sense.

Calgary also has no use for Stajan. Our injury woes won't last forever, and you can bet your bottom dollar Darryl Sutter won't stand for two rookie centers in the lineup regularly. Lombardi already fills that void. Reinprecht, Conroy and Lombo will rotate on the top three spots, and Yelle will round out the corps. McAmmond can also play center too.

Given this reasoning, it would be foolish for Calgary to go after Stajan. He is not the type of center we want. I imagine if Sutter was serious about gunning for the playoffs, he'd try and land a more 'experienced' pivot, but not one approaching UFA status. If we're going to find a healthy balance between age, skill, experience, effectiveness and contract, all while giving Gauther, names like Dave Scatchard, Michal Handzus, Josef Vasicek or Curtis Brown must be discussed. These are the types of centers the Flames can hope for the most.

Closed Thread