HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brewer's trade value

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Brewer's trade value

Now, I admit that I do not follow the Oilers as closely as some of you, so take this question for what it is worth.

Am I wrong or are most of the proposals here vastly understating Brewer's trade value? Yeah, he has stumbled in his development (and, btw, he is not exactly the first young defensemen to do that) but he is still one of the better young dmen in the league. I absolutely HATED to see him dealt from the Island.

I personally think that the Oil could get very significant return if they moved Brewer (which I still don't think they will do).

01-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Now, I admit that I do not follow the Oilers as closely as some of you, so take this question for what it is worth.

Am I wrong or are most of the proposals here vastly understating Brewer's trade value? Yeah, he has stumbled in his development (and, btw, he is not exactly the first young defensemen to do that) but he is still one of the better young dmen in the league. I absolutely HATED to see him dealt from the Island.

I personally think that the Oil could get very significant return if they moved Brewer (which I still don't think they will do).

Depends who you ask but I offered Jokinen for him and was told that wouldn't be enough so no, I don't think he's underrated.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
I can't imagine the Oilers trading Brewer. He's all of 25 YO and plays a positions that the organization is really thin at. Brewer is a core player to the Oilers and the only way I see him getting moved is if a similiar player is coming back, and those types of trades are very rare.

I do think that people overrate Brewer's Olympic experience (and how that affects his trade value).

IMO, KL would have to get a King's ransom back to move Brewer.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
I can't imagine the Oilers trading Brewer. He's all of 25 YO and plays a positions that the organization is really thin at. Brewer is a core player to the Oilers and the only way I see him getting moved is if a similiar player is coming back, and those types of trades are very rare.

I do think that people overrate Brewer's Olympic experience (and how that affects his trade value).

IMO, KL would have to get a King's ransom back to move Brewer.

This is exactly how I see it.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:07 AM
windowlicker

Recently Brewer has been opening alot of Oiler fans eyes with his Pronger Jr.-like play, and has been logging Alot of minutes. The fact that hes only 24 really adds to the whole package.
If you were to ask about his trade value at about the 10 game point, it would have been a different story. But lately........... And on top of that if a trade is made, it will be made from a position of strenght from the Oilers side, because this time Lowe wont be forced to deal a player.

That said, I wouldnt want to see him moved right now.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
oiler fans..

This is his 6th yr in the league and I think he's arbitration eligible this summer.He's making $2.5m this season.

After seeing Jovo and Redden sign in the $4m-$5m a yr range, is Brewer's next contract a reason he could be moved or would he do like Ryan Smyth,signing cheaply to fit into the Oiler budget?

Old
01-06-2004, 10:18 AM
elphy101

This whole trade talk is a result of the Oilers and Brewer's early season struggles. Brewer has now stepped out of the slump and is play damn well. In this last string of games, he is averaging around 30 minutes per game. And is making the plays expected of a #1 defensemen.

As said earlier in the thread. He will not be dealt unless the Oilers receive a Kings ransom in return. (then again, I said the same exact thing about Niinimaa last year)

Old
01-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
oiler fans..

This is his 6th yr in the league and I think he's arbitration eligible this summer.He's making $2.5m this season.

After seeing Jovo and Redden sign in the $4m-$5m a yr range, is Brewer's next contract a reason he could be moved or would he do like Ryan Smyth,signing cheaply to fit into the Oiler budget?
One advantage the Oilers have is that Brewer isn't putting up the offensive numbers that the "elite" young d-man (Redden, Jovo, etc) are. Brewer has been playing much better of late, but I think that the Oilers could point to Brad Stuart's contract more than Wade Redden.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
This whole trade talk is a result of the Oilers and Brewer's early season struggles. Brewer has now stepped out of the slump and is play damn well. In this last string of games, he is averaging around 30 minutes per game. And is making the plays expected of a #1 defensemen.

As said earlier in the thread. He will not be dealt unless the Oilers receive a Kings ransom in return. (then again, I said the same exact thing about Niinimaa last year)

Niinimaa was a much harder situation to call because of the $ issues. I didn't think he would get traded either.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:47 AM
CREW99AW

I'm hoping that the recent rumors about Brewer and Gonchar being available are false.

If MM decides to trade Hamrlik at the trade deadline,I'd like it to be a seller's market

Old
01-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I'm hoping that the recent rumors about Brewer and Gonchar being available are false.

If MM decides to trade Hamrlik at the trade deadline,I'd like it to be a seller's market

I still think the Isles will wind up the longterm losers in both those deals with the Oil (Hamrlik and Janne), but we'll see.

Personally, I hated both trades.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:30 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I still think the Isles will wind up the longterm losers in both those deals with the Oil (Hamrlik and Janne), but we'll see.

Personally, I hated both trades.

I thought Brewer and Green were enough for Hamrlik,didn't like including the 2nd rounder,but I'd guess with Sather and the rangers also trying for Hamrlik,that Milbury had to add to his offer

I like the Niinimaa trade for both teams.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:52 AM
wasting time

Brewer would go for a 1st, a 3rd plus a very good prospect like a Fedor Tjutin, for example, I would figure. It's not what the Oil wants, but its an illustration of I figure his value is.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Brewer would go for a 1st, a 3rd plus a very good prospect like a Fedor Tjutin, for example, I would figure. It's not what the Oil wants, but its an illustration of I figure his value is.
Geez your name really illistrates the value of this post. Why would the oil Part with their #1 d-man who is 24 for picks and a maybe prospect. The only way i could see them dealing Brewer is if the offer absolutly blew them away. Brewer has been a monster the last 10 games or so and their record lately shows his value.

My suggestion is the oil can't move Brewer unless they also move Smyth in another deal. Trading D-man for Dman is too hard to do, so they trade brewer for a forward package and Smyth for a d-man package.

My suggestion for a deal that May work for both teams would be

Smyth and Brewer to Philly

Pitkanen, Williams and Carter to the oil.

The Flyers get two player who are ready to help them win the cup now and are still relativley young and the oil get a fabulous D-man prospect who can step right in and a young Scoring center in Williams. Carter just evens out the deal and would help the oil in athe next couple of years.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:14 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
well aparently i did undervalue him.

i said he had about as much skill as zhitnik, similar level. i was obvioulsy very wrong. i would say prospects like pitkanen are to high.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:59 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Geez your name really illistrates the value of this post. Why would the oil Part with their #1 d-man who is 24 for picks and a maybe prospect. The only way i could see them dealing Brewer is if the offer absolutly blew them away. Brewer has been a monster the last 10 games or so and their record lately shows his value.

My suggestion is the oil can't move Brewer unless they also move Smyth in another deal. Trading D-man for Dman is too hard to do, so they trade brewer for a forward package and Smyth for a d-man package.

My suggestion for a deal that May work for both teams would be

Smyth and Brewer to Philly

Pitkanen, Williams and Carter to the oil.

The Flyers get two player who are ready to help them win the cup now and are still relativley young and the oil get a fabulous D-man prospect who can step right in and a young Scoring center in Williams. Carter just evens out the deal and would help the oil in athe next couple of years.

Buddy, I know. Read my post again. I know the Oil does not want this offer, they are looking for a forward. I said a top prospect like Tutin (this could also be a Eric Staal, or Svitov, or whoever depending on who you value more of the elite prospect players and what position you are looking for). I also said a first (which is highly objective, not a player evaluation), and a third (same).

On Par I think Brewer should be able to fetch a guy like Gagne or Tanguay easily, plus a pick because defensemen are usually valued more.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Buddy, I know. Read my post again. I know the Oil does not want this offer, they are looking for a forward. I said a top prospect like Tutin (this could also be a Eric Staal, or Svitov, or whoever depending on who you value more of the elite prospect players and what position you are looking for). I also said a first (which is highly objective, not a player evaluation), and a third (same).

On Par I think Brewer should be able to fetch a guy like Gagne or Tanguay easily, plus a pick because defensemen are usually valued more.
TANGUAY! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old
01-06-2004, 03:08 PM
zoidberg

I think he's about the same value as a Morris. So Brewer and a winger such as an Isbister (who I don't think is all that valuable) or a Chimera (who I like more) and a waste of a player for a good second liner with attributes or a great second liner who can score but not much of a leader and a premiere checking center.

Yes, I just rehashed the Morris thread. Sue me.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Mizral

Brewer's value is not 'a King's ransom'. Nor is it Alexei Zhitnik.

Oiler fans may not like this, but yes, Brewer could be traded. There have been rumours lately that he has asked to be traded before, and usually rumours like the ones coming up lately don't just prop up on their own - maybe Lowe was asking around to see was Eric's pricetag was to other teams just to get a feel of things if he had to trade him - I don't know. What I do know is that Brewer is a young, important cog on the Oilers blueline, but that he has dissapointed through the beginning of the season, though is playing better now.

I would say that if Brewer for Jokinen was on the table, Lowe would have to think long and hard about it. If not for the Oilers woeful defense, then I'd say it'd be a done deal. Value-wise, that's about where Brewer sits.

But because of the defensive situation in Edmonton, Brewer probobly could not be moved unless they were getting a defenseman in return.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I would say that if Brewer for Jokinen was on the table, Lowe would have to think long and hard about it.
Yeah, long and hard about how soon he can hand sew an Oiler jersey with JOKINEN printed on the back of it. Dudley would have to be insane to trade a big, defensively responsible, 23-year-old 30 goal scorer for the enigma that is Eric Brewer.

My own suggestion is Brewer for Anthony Stewart and Viktor Kozlov.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
I think he's about the same value as a Morris. So Brewer and a winger such as an Isbister (who I don't think is all that valuable) or a Chimera (who I like more) and a waste of a player for a good second liner with attributes or a great second liner who can score but not much of a leader and a premiere checking center.

Yes, I just rehashed the Morris thread. Sue me.
I think that is about right. So, what teams would likely show strong interest in Brewer? I'd say that Boston, Chicago, Florida and Toronto would be the 4 most interested teams in acquiring Brewer. Would Chicago consider trading either Mark Bell or Kyle Calder in a deal for Brewer? Would Toronto consider trading Nik Antropov? Sergei Samsonov from Boston? Olli Jokinen from the Panthers?

Old
01-06-2004, 05:05 PM
elphy101

[QUOTE=Mizral]

Oiler fans may not like this, but yes, Brewer could be traded. There have been rumours lately that he has asked to be traded before, QUOTE]

No Oiler fan has mentioned these so called rumors. No sportswriter or talk show in Edmonton that I've listened has ever mentioned or hinted at Brewer wanting to be traded. No Oiler fans, some who seem to know what was happening with Comrie situation have mentioned this.

I'm just curious where you heard this Mizral?

Old
01-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, long and hard about how soon he can hand sew an Oiler jersey with JOKINEN printed on the back of it. Dudley would have to be insane to trade a big, defensively responsible, 23-year-old 30 goal scorer for the enigma that is Eric Brewer.

My own suggestion is Brewer for Anthony Stewart and Viktor Kozlov.
I think its more accurate to characterize the Joker as "a big, , 23-year-old who has scored 30 goals". To suggest he is a bonafide 30 goal scorer(implying he either has or will do it on a perrenial basis) is a bit misleading. After all, other than last year his best year is 11 goals & he has 12 this year. Furthur, throughout his career he has carried huge minuses (whatever that means) so calling him defensively responsible may not be entirely accurate.
That all being said, I like the guy but he is hardly a proven commodity.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=elphy101]
Quote:

Oiler fans may not like this, but yes, Brewer could be traded. There have been rumours lately that he has asked to be traded before, QUOTE]

No Oiler fan has mentioned these so called rumors. No sportswriter or talk show in Edmonton that I've listened has ever mentioned or hinted at Brewer wanting to be traded. No Oiler fans, some who seem to know what was happening with Comrie situation have mentioned this.

I'm just curious where you heard this Mizral?
No EDM sources, but Spector's and 4thperiod both have reported brewer trade rumours. Mark Spector is pretty bang on with that stuff.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Brewer's value is not 'a King's ransom'. Nor is it Alexei Zhitnik.
[...]
But because of the defensive situation in Edmonton, Brewer probobly could not be moved unless they were getting a defenseman in return.
A deal involving Andrei Markov and something else might be workable, seeing as the Oilers seem to need an offensive defenceman. He fits into the payroll scheme and has a lot of upside. He could be an interesting centerpiece, as the Oil would address a roster need without taking on salary.

Closed Thread