HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hearing set for Sundin - UPDATE: Sundin gets 1 game suspension

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 10:19 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Hearing set for Sundin

From tsn.ca:

Sundin faces disciplinary hearing

TSN.ca Staff

1/7/2004

Mats Sundin dodged a bullet on Tuesday night. He wasn't so fortunate today.

TSN has learned the NHL has scheduled a disciplinary hearing with Sundin this afternoon as a result of the Maple Leaf captain throwing his stick into the crowd in last night's game against Nashville at the Air Canada Centre. It's possible Sundin could be fined or suspended for his actions.

Last edited by Sotnos: 01-07-2004 at 02:21 PM. Reason: please give a link and only quote a paragraph or two from an online article, thanks
Old
01-07-2004, 10:24 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Hey it was a nice gesture for Sundin to give the guy a stick after almost impaling him.

You know what? I'm sick of the officials calling half of the penalities in the NHL. For every Sundin there is a Hemsky, who gets away with things.

*sighs*

Old
01-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Like I said in on the Leafs board, he'll be fined and rightfully so. If it were to go any further then that considering it was clearly a accident then Colin Campbell is even dumber then I think because he's let much worse go this season.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Gaborik use to throw his sticks (all though in tact!) out of the rink after scoring a GW goal...I believe he wasn't ever fined.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:14 AM
DrHockeyMD

Welcome to the new sport of communist hockey. Don't hit, don't grab, don't fight, don't cheer after a goal, don't taunt the other team off the ice, don't say anything bad about the officials, don't say anything bad about the NHL, don't comment on the CBA, don't, don't, don't.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
that's stupid . shame on the nhl .

Old
01-07-2004, 11:39 AM
balddog66

The guy in the crowd got a one piece stick worth atleast $150, may or may not have been game used and then autographed by Sundin...lucky *******...course also had good seats...

Old
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Brandon Sugden of the ECHL Peoria Rivermen was BANNED for LIFE for pulling the exact same stunt a few years back. The decision was eventually appealled successfully a few years later.

Definitely a BUSH league stunt by Sundin. Hope they throw the book at him.

Old
01-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Brandon Sugden of the ECHL Peoria Rivermen was BANNED for LIFE for pulling the exact same stunt a few years back. The decision was eventually appealled successfully a few years later.

Agree. Someone could have been seriously injured when Sundin threw that stick. Remember what happened to that little girl in Columbus a couple of years ago.

01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:

"Sundin banned for life"

...that has quite a nice ring to it actually

Old
01-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Another classic example of bad officiating. *I can hear Van coming to defend them as I speak * Sundin should have been booted after the stunt, but instead, he got off scotch free. Then, he set up the two come back goals that won the game for the Mapleleafs. Ah well, I guess after the millionth missed/bad call, I become dead to the stupidity and unawareness of NHL officials.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66
The guy in the crowd got a one piece stick worth atleast $150, may or may not have been game used and then autographed by Sundin...lucky *******...course also had good seats...
...and subsequently sold it after the game for $600.00

Old
01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

too little, too late. the refs realize that they can't toss a marquee player in a 0-0 game. sundin then figures into both toronto goals, nashville loses. gee, i wonder what would have happened if say, scott walker did the same thing in the same game. misconduct. i KNEW this would happen.
too little, too late.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Another classic example of bad officiating. *I can hear Van coming to defend them as I speak * Sundin should have been booted after the stunt, but instead, he got off scotch free. Then, he set up the two come back goals that won the game for the Mapleleafs. Ah well, I guess after the millionth missed/bad call, I become dead to the stupidity and unawareness of NHL officials.
Neither ref saw the incident. One of the linesman did but on this type of call they aren't able to intervene.

For the most part, the whole game was very poorly officiated for both teams. Players from both sides commented on it, and the press had a field day. Van, if he saw last nights game would not be able to defend this one. It was almost like there were two young refs on the ice trying to lay the law their way, and if you didn't like it, sit in the box. (Fitzy's penalty was an example of that, he was hardly animated in his questioning after the second period, but got to chill out in the sin bin.)

Old
01-07-2004, 12:22 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

Old
01-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD
Welcome to the new sport of communist hockey. Don't hit, don't grab, don't fight, don't cheer after a goal, don't taunt the other team off the ice, don't say anything bad about the officials, don't say anything bad about the NHL, don't comment on the CBA, don't, don't, don't.

You forgot: don't toss your broken stick out of anger into a crowd of people where someone could lose an eye or worse.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes

http://www.phpa.com/info/press.asp

While I think two and a half years out of professional hockey is excessive, Sundin's crime is still a serious matter.

A one year suspension should be at least considered.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

While I think two and a half years out of professional hockey is excessive, Sundin's crime is still a serious matter.

Very true. Such a hideous crime against humanity deserves the severest of scrutiny. A tribunal needs to be set up, with 12 Finns at the helm.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:34 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Is Sundin getting hammered because he is a known player, a marquee player, or would they do this to anyone else? I mean like I said, Marian Gaborik use to toss his stick into the crowd after scoring a game winning goal or something. Fans loved it. He also gave out his sticks or did. I don't know if he still does.

If Sundin gets hit with a suspension and a fine, I'll really question why the NHL does what it does after looking the other way on some questionable hits this year.

Old
01-07-2004, 12:35 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

Old
01-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
How about suspending him next year --> during the lockout/strike??

Old
01-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
You know, they say the Leafs ***** and moan, but the Predators are the whiniest bunch of management Ihave ever seen..

"Bertuzzi is too big to handle.. he cheats"

"Sundin should've gotten a penalty"

You know what. If you can't compete why is that the officials fault? Christ I am so sick of this horse ****!!

Old
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
You know, they say the Leafs ***** and moan, but the Predators are the whiniest bunch of management Ihave ever seen..

"Bertuzzi is too big to handle.. he cheats"

"Sundin should've gotten a penalty"

You know what. If you can't compete why is that the officials fault? Christ I am so sick of this horse ****!!
Where has Predators Management said those things?

Old
01-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD
Are you suggesting that hurling an object like a stick into a crowd of people is a "capitalistic" move?

Communistic, Capitalistic, Facist, etc., no league can condone an act that potentially endangers it's paying customers. Unless of course one likewise believes that fans should be allowed to litter the ice.

Seems to me it's called common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Like I said in on the Leafs board, he'll be fined and rightfully so. If it were to go any further then that considering it was clearly a accident then Colin Campbell is even dumber then I think because he's let much worse go this season.
I agree with you that a fine is appropriate and nothing more. And, of course, Sundin wouldn't want to injure anyone. But do you really think it was "accidental"? I think it was just a spur-of-the-moment action that was ill-conceived, but not unintentional.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-07-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Spezza

A year ban? Can't see it.

Maximum he'd get is a game and thats simply on the grounds that he could have got a game misconduct.

Closed Thread