HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookie of the Year

Old
09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
VisionQuest*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I totally disagree, the kid was a 50 goal scorer in Guelph in his overage year and really came into his own. After that he was an AHL all-star in his first year in the pros scoring like crazy, then came into the NHL and proved that he can play at that level as well. If he were to find his way onto a scoring line for the New York Rangers I could see him being a huge surprise. What would your top ten favorites look like for the Calder?? Here's mine and Callahan is included:

1) Backstrom
2) Toews
3) E Johnson
4) Mueller
5) J Johnson
6) Staal
7) Kane
8) Little
9) Callahan
10) Sheppard

Who else do you realistically put above him?? A couple of the players I listed above are very doubtful as to whether they will make the NHL this season, much less score in bunches. I honestly do not expect more than 50 - 60 points from Toews or Backstrom this season. And I honestly don't expect, but think Callahan could hit that number under the right circumstances as well. There are not many guys on that list who have NHL experience and have a spot on their team's roster right now except for Callahan, it gives him a big advantage.

haha, ok. Im not going to sit down and pen out my thoughts on who could be in the running. I do promise Bobby Ryan, being that he is slated for a second line spot on the returning stanley cup champs, will get a look from the voters. If Carey Price manages to usurp Huet (dont put it past him) he will get a very, very serious look.

It's really simple my man, it comes down to one word - hype. and for better or worse, "ryan callahan" is not a buzz name around the voters.

It helps that he plays for the rangers, but no one was talking about Kopitar last year, and before he went down for a couple of weeks, he was kicking the crap out of the far better conference without a ton of help around him.

I'd like a Ranger youngin to win the Calder as much as anyone. You have to be realistic though. Best case scenario he is up against competition that he is somewhat comparable too, he still doesnt have the hype and expectations (and in my mind, frankly, the talent) that some of other candidates do.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Alison

I imagine Staal if he makes the team will get a good hard look, but I would put my money on Toews. The kid is the real deal and will be playing along side Havalat (when healthy).

No matter though Staal will win a few trophies in his years to come, and not just the defensive trophy either I imagine we will see him rack up a few lady byngs as well.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
the zamboni

Quote:
please do not forget Ryan Callahan, he still qualifies, has scored like crazy everywhere, has NHL experience, and if he somehow makes his way into the top six (I think it is certainly a possibility) he has a good shot at having a Calder type of year.
Come on...Jagr, Drury, Gomez, Shanahan, Straka, Avery, Prucha, Hossa. There are eight forwards that rank ahead of Callahan. No way he is making the top 6 or getting into the Calder race. I like Callahan, but I do not understand the lovefest for him on here.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
I totally disagree, the kid was a 50 goal scorer in Guelph in his overage year and really came into his own. After that he was an AHL all-star in his first year in the pros scoring like crazy, then came into the NHL and proved that he can play at that level as well. If he were to find his way onto a scoring line for the New York Rangers I could see him being a huge surprise. What would your top ten favorites look like for the Calder?? Here's mine and Callahan is included:

1) Backstrom
2) Toews
3) E Johnson
4) Mueller
5) J Johnson
6) Staal
7) Kane
8) Little
9) Callahan
10) Sheppard

Who else do you realistically put above him?? A couple of the players I listed above are very doubtful as to whether they will make the NHL this season, much less score in bunches. I honestly do not expect more than 50 - 60 points from Toews or Backstrom this season. And I honestly don't expect, but think Callahan could hit that number under the right circumstances as well. There are not many guys on that list who have NHL experience and have a spot on their team's roster right now except for Callahan, it gives him a big advantage.
Bolded the part of why he had a 50 goal season

While I am really hopeful for Callahan, I see him at best getting 10-20 goals and 30-40 pts, and thats extremely optimistic. Those numbers wouldnt win him the Calder

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 02:53 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmunch View Post
Bolded the part of why he had a 50 goal season

While I am really hopeful for Callahan, I see him at best getting 10-20 goals and 30-40 pts, and thats extremely optimistic. Those numbers wouldnt win him the Calder
i'd be delighted if Cally gets a 20 goal year. 40 points would be nice too, but i agree it wont be enough to win a calder whislt in the same year as Toews and Backstrom...those gusy will be pl;aying 1 and 2nd line minutes on teams depending on them. Cally will be 'just' a complimentary player at this stage of his career on a 'contender' like we are touted...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote