HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canes/Bruins Rumor

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 04:10 PM
BruinFan42

vCash: 500
Canes/Bruins Rumor

Rumors on Carolina and Boston boards at ESPN.com are that the two teams are talking a deal involving Brian Rolston and PJ Axelsson from the Bruins, and Jeff O'Neill and Jaroslav Svoboda from the Canes....

Old
01-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Street Hawk

Makes no sense for the Canes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Rumors on Carolina and Boston boards at ESPN.com are that the two teams are talking a deal involving Brian Rolston and PJ Axelsson from the Bruins, and Jeff O'Neill and Jaroslav Svoboda from the Canes....

Rolston is a UFA to be this summer isn't he? Drafted in the first round in 1991, so in 2004, he should be 31.

No sense for the Canes, who are out of the playoffs to dump O'Neil for a UFA to be. O'Neil for younger players is a more workable deal on the other hand.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Wow, a lineup including Samsonov, Thornton, Murray and O'Neill sounds dangerous! What an offensive powerhouse Boston could be!

Old
01-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Why would Carolina trade O'neill for a deal centered around a guy who will be a UFA at season's end? Makes zero sense. If Carolina trades O'Neill, a fairly young, top 4 d-man would likely be the asking price, at least.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Why would Carolina trade O'neill for a deal centered around a guy who will be a UFA at season's end? Makes zero sense. If Carolina trades O'Neill, a fairly young, top 4 d-man would likely be the asking price, at least.
Question: Would Boynton staight up for O'Neill be fair? Sounds like it has the groundings for a solid deal to me.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:40 PM
bleedgreen

the original trde offer there is not a popular offer on the carolina board. i agree that carolina goes younger in a trade for oneill, not older with ufa's for the teams top winger(albeit struggling). trades between these teams is possible though, laviolette has boston connections.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:42 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Question: Would Boynton staight up for O'Neill be fair? Sounds like it has the groundings for a solid deal to me.
im not sold on boynton yet, how about gill and a forward prospect-or maybe samsonov?

Old
01-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Boynton and a 2nd rounder would be pretty close IMO. Carolina has 3 of their top 6 d-man who are UFA's at season's end(Wesley, Hill, Boughner). There is a good chance that they'll lose two, and possibly all three, so getting a young, top 4 like Boynton should be a big priority for them. I do think that they would be more interested in getting a potential PP QB though, a guy like Brent Sopel perhaps.

I don't think it makes sense from a Boston perspective though. Boston's defense isn't exactly too strong as is, and McGillis and O'Donnell are both UFA's. I can't see them trading a guy like Boynton unless they get another top 4 in return.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
im not sold on boynton yet, how about gill and a forward prospect-or maybe samsonov?
Gill and Samsonov, or Samsonov straight up?

Old
01-07-2004, 05:02 PM
dats-13

looks to me like this will stay a rumor...

Old
01-07-2004, 05:41 PM
neelynugs

rolston and axelsson are a huge part of the b's success- when they are 'on', the PK is dynamic, and the team feeds off of it. i'd be sorry to see either of those guys go

Old
01-07-2004, 05:42 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
If Rolston would take an extension in lieu of the trade I'm all for this. Hell, I really don't care about the UFA situation, either. Who's to say what's going to happen after the next CBA is hammered out? If he walks, use that money to sign someone else. The Canes need to change a bunch of pieces that don't fit anymore.

Any takers for Brind a'Mour?

Btw, this rumor has been discussed all day in the Bruins and Canes boards.

Last edited by HughJass*: 01-07-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old
01-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Any takers for Brind a'Mour?
Signed long term and at $5 mil per, no. I think the Canes are stuck with Brindy.

Old
01-07-2004, 06:51 PM
BruinFan42

Why would the Canes want Boynton? Don't they need players that can score goals? Keeping the lotion out of the basket isn't a problem down in Raleigh......

The Bruins are looking like they're going to turn it around right now, so I'd be hesitant to make a deal, but knowing this team, they'll probably put a stinker up against the Pens tomorrow night...

I would like to see O'Neill and Bret Hedican in Boston though, what would it take for those two?

Old
01-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Why would the Canes want Boynton? Don't they need players that can score goals? Keeping the lotion out of the basket isn't a problem down in Raleigh......
The Hurricanes have three d-man who are impending UFA's. Getting a young, top 4 d-man should be a big priority on their list.

Quote:
I would like to see O'Neill and Bret Hedican in Boston though, what would it take for those two?
Don't think they'd trade Hedican.

Old
01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Signed long term and at $5 mil per, no. I think the Canes are stuck with Brindy.
I'm pretty sure he'll be making seven million next season.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:07 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
too much to make it worth while, i would think. those are two guys they dont HAVE to get rid of, and i think hedican is in for the long haul. icould see oneill/vasicek for samsonov/ralston? hedican for boynton??morrison? canes would throw in a pick? idont know enough boston prospects to help out here, any good ones?

Old
01-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Er... I wouldn't really call "stuck with." He's a player I'd actually pay 5 mil.

Old
01-08-2004, 02:48 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Er... I wouldn't really call "stuck with." He's a player I'd actually pay 5 mil.
Well, hell, you can have Rod for Daniel Sedin any day of the week...

Old
01-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Is that you Mr.Sather?

Old
01-08-2004, 07:23 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
The Hurricanes have three d-man who are impending UFA's. Getting a young, top 4 d-man should be a big priority on their list.

Don't think they'd trade Hedican.
who would want hedican anyway? didn't he sign a 6 year deal at over 3 million per year? awful

Old
01-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
who would want hedican anyway? didn't he sign a 6 year deal at over 3 million per year? awful
Yep, but he's the Canes best d-man, they can't part with him unless they get a decent d-man in return. If they are looking to dump salary and a team is willing to take on the majority of his contract, then they'd consider moving him, but I don't think they are that desperate yet.

Closed Thread