HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

BUF/edm Rumor/disaster.

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Patch101

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
What was the point of getting Oates if he doesn't have anyone to set up? We are in dire need of a true goal scorer!MacT can preach"D" all he wants,but Lowe doesn't want to see the trap,nor does the season ticket holders like myself! I don't believe that Brewer would be a part of this deal.I can see Georges and Horcoff as well as picks or prospects in some kind of package.Also I can't see Smith being here after the deadline at the latest.Where is Horcoff going to fit in after Reasoner comes back?I can't see them taking Stoll out now after the way he has been getting better with every game(also blows Horcoff away on faceoff%).Georges and Smith almost equall $4 million right there.Also it seems we are a little under on our payroll,especially with the way the dollar is going makes a big difference on travelling expences.

One other idea that may help is what about getting Berezin to sign on with the Roadrunners to see if he has anything left in the tank?He is another one of those 1 shot goal scorers!
I've thought about Berezin. He's is truely a sniper, but is know to be selfish and not great defensively. If he would sign cheap he could at least help the Road Runners though, and if injury strikes ...

That said I still don't buy that Lowe is shopping for another Winger. We are so full of them right now. If anything we need a center who can produce 5 on 5.

Sam

Old
01-07-2004, 04:43 PM
ToothlessAggression

I think if we were to deal for Satan, Smith would have to be going the other way too much of an age difference between Brewer and Satan.

Smith and Isbister (I always seem to have him in my proposals even though I like him.)

For

Satan and a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a fairly young defenseman. (Campbell? Tallinder? I don't know much about most of their D.)

Gives them a very good defensman and a big tough (kinda) defenseman, both of which they are rumored to be looking for.

We get the goal-scorer we desperatly need and a decent pick or a defenseman to eat some of Smith's minutes. Then we can get rid of Ferguson.

How about this lineup?

Smyth-Oates-Satan
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll/Horcoff-Laraque

Brewer-Staios
Ulanov-Semenov
Cross-Campbell/Tallinder Or if we got the draft pick Bergeron or Luoma.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:48 PM
copperaddict

The guys on our 4th line aren't getting many minutes now,so having Berezin for the PP and a few shifts with Oates can't hurt our goalscoring!And is there any word on Theo?Not saying Lowe should run out and sign him,but if he does clean up his act the Roadrunners may be a good start.

Old
01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergize
I think if we were to deal for Satan, Smith would have to be going the other way too much of an age difference between Brewer and Satan.

Smith and Isbister (I always seem to have him in my proposals even though I like him.)

For

Satan and a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a fairly young defenseman. (Campbell? Tallinder? I don't know much about most of their D.)

Gives them a very good defensman and a big tough (kinda) defenseman, both of which they are rumored to be looking for.

We get the goal-scorer we desperatly need and a decent pick or a defenseman to eat some of Smith's minutes. Then we can get rid of Ferguson.

How about this lineup?

Smyth-Oates-Satan
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Chimera-Stoll/Horcoff-Laraque

Brewer-Staios
Ulanov-Semenov
Cross-Campbell/Tallinder Or if we got the draft pick Bergeron or Luoma.
One problem there, buddy. Where in the world is Hemsky.

01-07-2004, 04:51 PM
copperaddict

Hey Synergize!

I like your lineup,but it would look even better if Hemsky was there somewhere

Old
01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Just to throw out a propoal involving Satan(because with as many rumours I've heard, there muct be at least the smidgen of truth to it) would be something like this:

To Edm:
Satan, Kalinen, Noronen

To Buff:
Brewer, Laraque, Chimera, Phi 1st

Chimera could easily be replaced by some one else(Rita, Horcoff, Salmalainen, etc), but I think he'd probably be a guy that'd interest them. He seems to be someone that could really get going given the opportunity to be an offensive guy. He's shown a goal scorers touch before, playing on the 4th line, and there's no doubt he has speed, and that would fit in nicely in Buffalo(I really see a lot of similarities between us and them actually).

So, IMO, this deal would work for both teams. I'm sure Buffalo doesn't want to give up on Noronen or Kalinen, but getting Brewer is an upgrade over Kalinen, and they are stocked at goaltending and Chimera could step in and they get a 1st to boot.
Regier would never do this deal,neither would I.Satan is a consistent 60-70 point player, and even at 5 million is still a 1st line player.Larauqe rarely fights, and he is still a 4th line player.Chimera is a 3rd liner tops.

Satan>Laraque,Chimera

Kalinin is already our #2, and has more offensive flair then Brewer.They log around the same minutes, and I think Kalinin has just as much value as Brewer.Kalinin has 9 more points then Brewer in the same amount of games.

Kalinin=Brewer

Mika Noronen has been our starter and has been great for us.Philly's 1st will be around 25-30, which Noronen may or may not get.

Noronen=<Philly's 1st.

A better deal is...

To Buf:Eric Brewer,Brad Isbister and a 2nd rounder.
To Edm:Miro Satan,Henrik Tallinder and Brian Campbell

Old
01-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Lowetide

If the Oilers trade Brewer it'll have to be for someone with a similar upside/talent level. With all due respect to the Sabres, unless one of those beauty goalies and or a top flight defenseman is coming back, then Brewer stays put.

As for Satan, we might as well be talking Jagr. We can't afford him either.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:58 PM
ToothlessAggression

Wow, how in the world did I forget Hemsky? I was not even drunk..

How about this then?

1A Smyth-Oates-Hemsky
1B Satan-York-Dvorak (I like the looks of this)
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Stoll-Laraque
Same D pairings.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
You're forgetting one thing though.... of late, our "overabundance of wingers" couldn't put the puck in the ocean. Kind of makes you wonder how good some of them actually are when they go through a streak this long. (Here come all the "It's MacT's fault with his line blender)

While I agree that more consistency in the forward lines might breed some better results, it might also just sink us further into the bog if no one picks up the pace. The fact of the matter is, these guys have to find a way to put pucks in the net, no matter who they're playing with or against.

And Satan can do that unlike any player we now have.

And while I think that Satan for Brewer + Laraque is a definite overpayment on our part, if we got back another young d-man, (Kalinin, Tallinder ???? dunno, I'm not really that familiar with the d situation in Buffalo) it might not be that bad.

If we could find a way to afford Satan long-term, it could be a huge boost to our team.... the one-shot scorer we've been after for so long.

As for the blueline, if Ulanov picks up some of the slack this year, with Lynch and Woywitka on the horizon, I think that we could make it through this year without Brewer, and not be in a bad situation post-2004.
Excellent post. I would just like to add, that yes, we would lose games to Brewer's loss to our already depleted blueline. With our current spot in the standings though, it could land us in a top spot for next years draft. Worth the sacrifice? I personally think we would have a great line-up for the 2nd 1/2 of the season(some question marks pending; eg: Salo, blueline).

Hopefully with a line combo something like this:

Smyth-Oates-Satan
Isbister-York-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Dvorak
Torres-Stoll-Pisani

Smith-Staios
Cross-Semenov
Luoma-Ulanov

Salo
Conklin

PB: Horcoff, Chimera, Fergusson

I really like the look of that first line. Finally someone who can bury Oate's feeds. Someone who would walk into the dressing room, and already lead the team in goals. It kind of reminds me of a version of the Smyth-Weight-Guerin line, to a lesser extent. That 3rd line really looks solid to me too. We all know York can carry a line, and with Isbisters better play of late, maybe they could really get Hemmer going. The 4th line goes to Stoll until he flounders, then Horcoff is inserted.

Would the blue line crumple without brewer to soak up big minutes like he has lately? Will Bergeron, Wotwitka, and Lynch all seriously challenge for a roster spot next season(if there is one)?

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 01-07-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old
01-08-2004, 05:21 AM
Yanner39

Playing devil's advocate (get it? - sorry that's terrible ) for a second, the Oilers have had problems scoring goals, problem on the PP, so Satan going to Edmonton maybe not that far off. Now, I'm not saying trading Brewer or Smith straight up and I do realize that Satan makes alot of dough, but this rumor isn't that far fetch. And let's face it, the Oilers got hosed when they traded him in the first place. .

I doubt this trade would happen to be honest, but I wouldn't be upset if the Oilers added some offense like Satan to the team.

Old
01-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Oilerguy

I like the trade. Brewer has showed that he doesn't have the drive/heart that we need from a top defenceman. He has had a terrible year.

And anyone who will take Georges off our payroll is a huge bonus.

Besides, Brewer @ $2.5M and George @ $1.275M for Satan @ $4.75 M is not that bad. Besides, I think Satan is signed for a few years where the other two are not (??).

Old
01-08-2004, 07:04 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerguy
I like the trade. Brewer has showed that he doesn't have the drive/heart that we need from a top defenceman. He has had a terrible year.

Besides, Brewer @ $2.5M and George @ $1.275M for Satan @ $4.75 M is not that bad. Besides, I think Satan is signed for a few years where the other two are not (??).
Brewer has been the Oilers best defenceman since he came back from his injury, and has played over 25 minutes per night.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:08 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Playing devil's advocate (get it? - sorry that's terrible ) for a second, the Oilers have had problems scoring goals, problem on the PP, so Satan going to Edmonton maybe not that far off. Now, I'm not saying trading Brewer or Smith straight up and I do realize that Satan makes alot of dough, but this rumor isn't that far fetch. And let's face it, the Oilers got hosed when they traded him in the first place. .

I doubt this trade would happen to be honest, but I wouldn't be upset if the Oilers added some offense like Satan to the team.
A trade like this would really upset me, it would just be so stupid from an organizational standpoint.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerguy

2.5 + 1.275 = 3.775.

Where is the other million dollars coming from? You can't just say that somehow a million dollars will be found. This is the Oilers we're talking about here. If there was another million to be gotten, they would have turned over every rock in Alberta to get it.

And where have you been? With Smith out, Brewer has been the Oilers' best defenseman. Trading away Brewer, with Smith's impending free agency at the end of next year, is downright dumb. Who are you going to put on your backline next year?

2004 season
Smith - Staios
Semenov - Cross
Bergeron/Luoma - Lynch
Ferguson/Ulanov

While not bad, I'm not convinced in Semenov's ability to handle the second pairing for an entire 84 game sked.

And the year after?
Staios - Semenov
Lynch - Woywitka
Bergeron - Cross/Luoma

That's even worse. That's throwing the rookies into the lions den ANd making Semenov the top two defender? Yeesh.

Instead, assuming Smith is traded or not resigned.
Staios - Brewer
Semenov - Lynch/Woywitka
Lynch/Woywitka - Cross/Luoma/Bergeron

That looks better.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:36 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
It would be cool to have Satan playing with Oates though. I mean I won't support Lowe nearly as much if he were to give up Brewer for Satan straight across. But if he could get him for Smith I'd be VERY happy.

Smyth-Oates-Satan would be an excellent line. Satan is the type of player Oates needs to be effective and at his best. And Satan has never had a passer like Oates to give him the puck.

Old
01-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
A trade like this would really upset me, it would just be so stupid from an organizational standpoint.
I don't see it happening, but I don't think it'd be the worst thing in the world either. If Satan plays the wat he did last year, I wouldn't have any complaints. Remember, this team does have trouble scoring goals and has one of the worst PP I 've seen in sometime. I'd hate to give up Brew, but...

Old
01-08-2004, 09:02 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
While not bad, I'm not convinced in Semenov's ability to handle the second pairing for an entire 84 game sked.
Well it's a good thing that the season is only 82 games long

Old
01-08-2004, 09:27 AM
future consideration

First off Kalinin isn't going anywhere.

Secondly I don't see Lowe moving Brewer. While I'd like to add a scorer like Satan, it'd be hard to see Brewer go. Now maybe Smith and Rita or Izzy may get it done since the Sabres need a tough RH d-man like Smith. Only problem is if Regeir is worried he might lose Smith if he becomes a UFA. But the Sabres need a change up and Satan would be the biggest change they could make. Smith would be loved here and Satan isn't the the most favorite player here so from a fans standpoint I think we could deal with it.

Also the Oilers may have a ton of wingers, but if none of them can score whats the point? Quality over quanity people.

Old
01-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Devo-2

[QUOTE=future consideration]First off Kalinin isn't going anywhere.

As another Sabre fan I will say everyone on our team is tradeable. That being said, it would be difficult for someone to pry Kalinin away. He, in my opinion, is the reason Zhitnik is expendable. He is playing a ton of minutes against the other teams top line, and is putting up a lot of points on even strength and on the power play. Tallinder and Campbell are both, however, much easier to throw in to spice up a trade.

I think Miller is the only goaltender that would be difficult to pry out of Buffalo, and prospects like Vanek and Roy are the kind of hope Sabre fans have to get through seasons like this.

I recognize Satan's salary is high, but he honestly has been as dependable a 30-40 goal, 60-70 point player as any. I think with a center like Oats and a more wide open style of game, he really could jack those number up.

I cannot say I watch too many Oilers' games so I really donít have much of an opinion on Brewer. Anyone here want to fill me in on his strengths and weaknesses.

Is Laraque back to his normal self, or are the rumors of him not fighting as much true?

Old
01-08-2004, 12:03 PM
speeds

Quote:
I don't see it happening, but I don't think it'd be the worst thing in the world either. If Satan plays the wat he did last year, I wouldn't have any complaints. Remember, this team does have trouble scoring goals and has one of the worst PP I 've seen in sometime. I'd hate to give up Brew, but...
I'm well aware of the problems with the team, but simply put this year isn't important enough to sacrifice players that can help EDM in the future, not for a 4+ mil guy in Satan who would help this year and next, and then be gone.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I'm well aware of the problems with the team, but simply put this year isn't important enough to sacrifice players that can help EDM in the future, not for a 4+ mil guy in Satan who would help this year and next, and then be gone.
What's so different with this year than any others? Because they may be a work stoppage next? You know, I've heard just as many people say there will be hockey next season as those who say there won't be. I'm not disagreeing with you that they shouldn't mortgage there future or overpay to get Satan, but when in the hell is this team going to stop rebuilding. Oiler fans should be sick of it, to be honest. We gave up comrie for the future, which was a trade I liked. We currently have a good base in TO, what harm whould be it do to make that type of deal at this point.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:11 PM
momentai

Quote:
when in the hell is this team going to stop rebuilding. Oiler fans should be sick of it, to be honest.
You know what I'm sick of? This team NOT rebuilding time and time again trying to be content with an 7-8th place finish. That is what eats me alive.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
You know what I'm sick of? This team NOT rebuilding time and time again trying to be content with an 7-8th place finish. That is what eats me alive.
It's the Boston Bruins syndrome...good enough to make the playoffs, but never good enough to do anything once you get there.

And yes, I'm sick of it too. When someone says "we're not rebuilding...we're reloading!" it makes me feel like clubbing a seal.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Smyth-Oates-Satan would be an excellent line. Satan is the type of player Oates needs to be effective and at his best. And Satan has never had a passer like Oates to give him the puck.
Read my mind. Excellent post.

Old
01-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai

A-freaking-men. Once they trade for Satan, he and Dvorak will have the top two line rw jobs sewn up. Hemsky will struggle on the 3line, and at the same time the holes in the defense will be getting bigger.

So they'll trade Hemsky for a 27 year old dman just in time for him to turn into Miro Satan.

AHHAHHSGAHSGHSGGSHKHSGDHGSDHHKGHKDHKG!

Closed Thread