HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the highest level of hockey you played?

Old
09-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
What was the highest level of hockey you played?

im just curious. i played in a highschool rec league. but once i went to rutgers and chose engineering as my major, i couldnt find time to do anything but study (it was a tough major me personally since i prefer hardware to software, and yet there is a ton of programming involved).

anyways, so yeah, high school rec league was the highest level i really played at. of course we would have pickup games around the house back then all the time, but it wasnt super competitive, just guys skating around and trying to be all fancy instead of actually playing like a team. how about you guys?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
jagrgodr

1v1 street hockey with my brother in our driveway. Beat that hot shots.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Played High School, coached Interemediate/HS.... I play in leagues now but they are not as high quality.. or as competitive....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Bacchus

GFLL - German frozen lake league.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

We had this thread last season...or was it the season before? I've lost all track of time....

I played HS hockey in NJ & Colorado. In Colorado I made the Junior team and travelled the northwest and Canada. I was recruited by a few Division one schools, the biggest was Alaska/Anchorage, but it wasnt a full scholarship and I backed out just a month before orientation.

I scored a couple of goals against Hurricanes backup goalie John Grahame one night in the high school league, my big claim to fame

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Mixtures89

I used to play real competitive roller hockey. NARCh and Torhs national championships. Im sure some people here are familiar with those tournaments. I used to play for the Tour Black Ice based out of Suffolk County Long Island. We actaully won the 16and under Torhs national championships back in 2002. The next year we lost to Team Tour USA who featured the ducks prospect Bobby Ryan on their team. Now i just play some rec league hockey cuz i cant handle not playing at all ...Those were the days.

Mixtures89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I played Midget AA hockey. I also played in a high school league that had a lot of AAA players. Mel Bridgeman, former Flyers captain, was the coach of the high school team. I am friends with two of his sons. Also, Marc Crawford's son was the goaltender this year, and Marc came out and practiced with us once, it was mind blowing to get a feed from the coach of the Kings.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
KRM

Played a few years when I was around 7-10 years old.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Ola

I landed a big hit on Janne Niinimaa once in a friendly game during the summer! (when he was with EDM, he played with a finnish team that he had some good friends on.)

I played a important game against MoDo with the Sedin twins once, U18 level, we was 2nd in the league, they where 4th and need to win as the top 3 advanced to the PO's, they called in the cavalry with the Sedins and a few other guys who had played at the U20 level/SEL all year and they won 21-0. They are good now, but they where damn good as 16 y/o's... These guys where Ovechkin like talents at that age, before they slowed down a bit around 17-18. Both where 6'2 (they developed really early) and great skaters, and of course had sick chemistry. If you pulled one of them down just to stop the play it wasn't enough because they always managed to pass before they fell, then someone else pulled the other twin down, but he already manged to pass back to the first one who had already gotten up. Ahh I honestly still dream nightmares about it. I think Daniel was like 12+4 in that game...

The highest level I was on was the qualification series for the 2nd tier league in Sweden. I am pretty big (6'3) and got a chance with a 2nd division team (3rd tier) team here in Sweden when I was 15, which was pretty big. Played both there and in juniors for 3 years and then moved around some during my military time before I quit. The military kind of screwed my hockey career some, loosing a ton of hard earned weight there, but that was probably a blessing in disquise (sp?), I was never good enough to become anything really. At my peak I think I could have done ok as a 3rd-4th lineer in the ECHL maybe...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Ola

My best hockey story though is playing in a game where my team shot 90+ shots, and still lost (7-9).

I am 100% sure thats some sort of record that never ever will be beaten, and I played in it!!!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:43 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

the NHL just kidding! They wouldnt even let me in because i'm a girl. Anyway i've never played any sort of hockey (besides in gym class 4 years ago ) Next winter (2008-2009) i hope to start playing if my parents stick to their word. I have my fingers crossed

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Been playing inline hockey since '92 baby

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
free0717

I led the Mt. Vernon HS Knights in scoring during the 1978-79 season and was cut during College tryouts. Played a few years in Mens leagues now Im retired a long time.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Started playing hockey when i was 10 years old, but only street and roller.

At 14 I taught myself how to ice skate, played a few years of house leagues but never played organized hockey until I made a Midget A hockey team in New Jersey called the New Jersey Mavericks.

At the age of 17 I was offered a tryout with the Rockin Rollers and despite breaking my hand playing baseball, I made the final cut and almost made the team. At least I got to score on Manon Rheaume (the first and last woman to play in an NHL game) and skate with some pretty good semi-pro players.

My High School didnt have a team, so i only played travel and house leagues.

Played Midget A for and then went to Quinnipiac college to play division 1 Baseball but kinda got sidetracked, partied to much and got mononucleosis very bad. I was in bed for about 2 months and it really sucked.

I then transferred to Montclair State University and played Club hockey for the next 4 years. Though it was considered club hockey it was a pretty high level of play, i'd say comparable to a good Division 3 or 2 level as we played teams like Navy, Penn State, Westchester PA, MaristUPenn, Marist, Iona, Albany, U of Maryland, Princeton, Monmouth, etc... some of these teams were pretty decent but couldnt ge tthe NCAA certification because the lack of a womens team or their own arenas, etc.

In 2001 my team went undefeated in our conference 18-0 and something like 28-4-2 overall for the year.
We then won the Mid Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association Championship among other trophies.

I was lucky enough to skate with players like Brendan Morrison and Partick Elias when they were holding out from the Devils, not to mention countless other memories of the 100 some odd career collegiate games i played for MSU. My best game i had a Sitler-esq night and scored 6 goals and 4 assists.

For a kid who grew up playing sports like Baseball, Football, Basketball and Soccer - it was very different for everyone i knew to understand why I loved hockey so much and wanted to start so late as i did. But my parents supported me and I somehow managed to learn how to become a very good skater on my own.

When I won the college championship it really felt like winning the Stanley Cup, because for a kid that started playing when he was 14 it was a long shot to reach that level on my own. Though i was scouted by semi pro leagues and leagues over seas i never felt the need to go any further because I had pretty much completed what was in my mind a mission of sorts.

I got my degree and still play in a beer league from season to season, but whats important to me is that ring on my dresser and a few very close friends i made during those years.

Sorry for the rant but i get all wound up about it.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-11-2007 at 05:59 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Nich

roller hockey....use to be and 2 friends. one would be a goalie, then us two would just take shots.

played a actually game once of 5 on 5, and my claim to fame was taking the puck off the face off, around 3 players and scoring in 10 seconds.....ahh to be 16 again....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Smashley

Last season I was skating at a public rink and tried to pick up a 4 year old in helmet/gear and ended up falling on top of him instead.

Thats the extent of my ice career. Besides shoveling it.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Last season I was skating at a public rink and tried to pick up a 4 year old in helmet/gear and ended up falling on top of him instead.

Thats the extent of my ice career. Besides shoveling it.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Youth roller hockey for many years, one league was part of USA Hockey InLine, almost made it to one national tournament but we couldn't afford the trip. Was the MVP of a few teams too.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 06:24 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Youth roller hockey for many years, one league was part of USA Hockey InLine, almost made it to one national tournament but we couldn't afford the trip. Was the MVP of a few teams too.
What part of NJ are you in and where did you play?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

one time my friend got into a fight with Sebastien Caron.(incase you didnt know he was with anaheim last year and actually got his name on the cup but he was on pittsburgh at the time) in a mens league. my friend got suspended and Caron got nothing.

oh and i played highschool league

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 09-11-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
In The Flesh

Played every level from Mite to Midget, all through HS, thats it though, I've been out of HS for 2 yrs. now, want to play organized, but not with a bunch of 30 and 40 yr olds. Oh I also played in NHL Breakout (rollar hockey tourny sponsered by the NHL) for 4 straight years, 6, 7, 8, and 9th grades, our team finished 1st place one year in our age brackett.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
swiss A league for a couple of years.
college NCAA3
couple games in the IHL

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Same here (not the national tournament but everything else lol). Although I haven't played in a couple of years.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 07:34 PM
chip chipperson*

i used to play pretty competetive roller hockey.. I was pretty good and loved playing and once i reached high school i really wanted to play ice because i knew that i was good enough to be on the team... but i went the other route and got fat and hairy and now im thinking about going into the competetive chicken wing eating circuit.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
GarretJoseph*

I've played 1 pick up roller game last year, 10-15 times i played 3 on 3's roller...when i was a kid i played in my buildings backyard in queens against 2 kids from isreal and 2 kids from forest hills...thats when i first found out what hockey was (at 7)..i thought they were playing some kinda american version of hurling..

skated on ice like 4 times, last time was with my wife & i got a little cheeky after about 2 hours of holding hands and skating 2 mph.. i ended up crashing into a bunch of kids and banged my head of the ice and had the guys in the orange jackets help me off... never again...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote