HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something Brewing?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
  #1
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Something Brewing?

http://thefourthperiod.com/nyi18.html

The article reports that Edmonton and TB had "several" scouts at the game yesterday. TB was scouting Hamrlik, but it doesnt say who Edmonton was there to see.

I hope that Brewer isnt leaving, wouldnt that be weird if Hamrlik went back to TB and Brewer went back to NYI? it would be like setting a time machine back to 95...maybe its a 3 way deal with us getting Steve Kelly and Jason Bonsignore back from TB, oh please please please.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:12 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
http://thefourthperiod.com/nyi18.html

The article reports that Edmonton and TB had "several" scouts at the game yesterday. TB was scouting Hamrlik, but it doesnt say who Edmonton was there to see.

I hope that Brewer isnt leaving, wouldnt that be weird if Hamrlik went back to TB and Brewer went back to NYI? it would be like setting a time machine back to 95...maybe its a 3 way deal with us getting Steve Kelly and Jason Bonsignore back from TB, oh please please please.
lol... fear not... Steve Kelly plays for the kings, and Bonsignore was with the Thrashers but I think has since been released.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:13 AM
  #3
Oylerz
Registered User
 
Oylerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
Edmonton scouts were likely there because Edmonton playes NYI tomorrow night.

Oylerz is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
  #4
Chayos
Registered User
 
Chayos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
http://thefourthperiod.com/nyi18.html

The article reports that Edmonton and TB had "several" scouts at the game yesterday. TB was scouting Hamrlik, but it doesnt say who Edmonton was there to see.

I hope that Brewer isnt leaving, wouldnt that be weird if Hamrlik went back to TB and Brewer went back to NYI? it would be like setting a time machine back to 95...maybe its a 3 way deal with us getting Steve Kelly and Jason Bonsignore back from TB, oh please please please.
I could see the oil just scouting NYI for tonights game. I would be surpised iff the isles have anything left the oil would need. I could see the oil Scouting TB though. I wonder if the oil could swing a Brewer+++for lecavilier?

Maybe something like Brewer, Rita, laraque and philly's 1st for Lecavlier

Man would that fit the bill for our team. We may need to move Smyth for a d-man but we would be set for years to come up the middle.


Isbister Lecavilier Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera stoll horcoff


on the back end i would move smyth to get a d-man so you get real quality. Maybe something like Smyth for Andrei Markov and montreals 1st

smith staois
Semenov Markov
Ulanov Cross

ferguson

Chayos is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:29 AM
  #5
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oylerz
Edmonton scouts were likely there because Edmonton playes NYI tomorrow night.
Awww, you had to go and ruin my speculatory fun. I forgot we play them next, that does make alot of sense.

But maybe they were scouting the TBay scouts who were scouting The Calgary Flames. Wow.

Im so smart my head is bleeding.

Just for fun Im gonna go and make a trade proposal, a 3 way at that, and I know I'll get flamed mightily for it, but Im used to it.

To TBay
R. Hamrlik
J. Ninnimakki
J. Chimera
1st from NYI
Phillys 1st from Edm

To NYI
E. Brewer
A. Svitov

To Edm
V. Lecavalier
J. Blake

TB loses their top centre and a prospect who might need a change of scenery. In return they get an elite top 2 Dman, A top C prospect, a speedy winger who might need a new home, and 2 firsts.

NYI loses Hamrlik and his heftly paycheck, a speedy winger, and a draft pick, but gets our best defenseman, and a prospect.

Oil lose our best Dman, arguably our top C prospect, J Chim who isnt getting a fair shake in Edmonton and our pick from Philly, but get that oh so needed legit top Centreman, and J. Blake who has a little more upside the Chimera, and can be used in more situations.

Feel free to add or subtract when needed...flame away.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:30 AM
  #6
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
I can't imagine the Oilers doing a deal with the Islanders this year. As mentioned above, what is left that either side would want?

That said, I will say that there has been a lot of rumours about Brewer being traded and that makes me very nervous.

Even when he was struggling earlier this year I would have hated to see him go.

He is a guy that will never be the best at anything but is very good at everything. That is mighty hard to find in a player and I can't help but think that trading him would be a huge mistake long term.

It has got me thinking though, is the fan frustration with Brewer struggling just an inherent problem with always watching a young team?

Brewer is 23(?) and been in the league for 5(?) years and is looked at like he should be as consistent as a 30 year old because it seems like he has been here for so long.

On some of the more veteran teams he would most likely still be viewed more inlines of a prospect and given the latitude needed for proper development. I still maintain that the kid will be a horse in 3 or 4 years and the lack of patience shown by many will be regretable if a trade actually does occur.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:33 AM
  #7
Oylerz
Registered User
 
Oylerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Brewer...
...is a guy that will never be the best at anything but is very good at everything.
Don't the scouting reports say the exact same thing about woywitka?

Edit: I agree that in a few years we would really regret trading Brewer.

Oylerz is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:39 AM
  #8
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie

To TBay
R. Hamrlik
J. Ninnimakki
J. Chimera
1st from NYI
Phillys 1st from Edm

To NYI
E. Brewer
A. Svitov

To Edm
V. Lecavalier
J. Blake
So in the End, The Oilers trade Brewer, Chimera and a 1st pick to get Lecavalier and Blake. (Not bad, I'd do it)

The Lightning trade Svitov and Lecavalier for 2 1st round picks, 2 allstar calibre defencemen and a 3rd line winger. (TBay would almost be insane not to do a trade like this)

Ther Isles trade 2 allstar defencemen, a very solid centre and a 1st round pick for Brewer and Svitov. (Not even Milbury is this nuts)

dawgbone is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
  #9
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
ummm. thats Ninnimakki...not Ninnimaa

Mowzie is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:44 AM
  #10
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Looking back, I think TBay would need more now players in the deal. other than Hamrlik, they dont really get anyone who can help them today, and since they are not a rebuilding team, it might need to be tweaked a bit.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 11:53 AM
  #11
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,063
vCash: 500
I am too lazy to do it, but Vincent has been tampa's second line centre so far this season and hasn't had a game with more minutes than richards in a long long time. The bloom is off his rose in Tampa. From their point of view, they are trading a 2nd line centre.

I read the article and the impression I got was that oiler scouts were at the game, not oiler coaching staff. If you are scouting a team that you are going to play, you send your assitant coaches, not your scouts.

to Tampa
Hammer, Islander 1st, edmonton 1st

to Edmonton
vinnie

to NYI
brewer, prospect/pick (mid level)

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 12:08 PM
  #12
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
ummm. thats Ninnimakki...not Ninnimaa
lol... my bad... saw all the crazy n's and i's and made an assumption. I don't see anyone wanting Niinimaki until his shoulder is completely healed.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 12:09 PM
  #13
oildrop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 500
You know, Mr Sakich and Mowzie, I was thinking that there could be a possible 3-way trade too. The Islanders and Lightning have long been rumoured to be working on a trade and the Oilers have been rumoured to be looking to improve the team.

All 3 of these teams are really struggling and all 3 good use a good shakeup to the lineup. A 3-way Blockbuster trade between these 3 could really help each team out. I think it's an awesome idea that I hope these 3 teams are looking at. It sure would be great to have a guy like Lecavalier in an Oilers uniform.

Hands up for a Blockbuster Trade involving the Oilers, Lightning and Islanders!

oildrop is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 12:12 PM
  #14
mugu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Awww, you had to go and ruin my speculatory fun. I forgot we play them next, that does make alot of sense.

But maybe they were scouting the TBay scouts who were scouting The Calgary Flames. Wow.

Im so smart my head is bleeding.

Just for fun Im gonna go and make a trade proposal, a 3 way at that, and I know I'll get flamed mightily for it, but Im used to it.

To TBay
R. Hamrlik
J. Ninnimakki
J. Chimera
1st from NYI
Phillys 1st from Edm

To NYI
E. Brewer
A. Svitov

To Edm
V. Lecavalier
J. Blake

TB loses their top centre and a prospect who might need a change of scenery. In return they get an elite top 2 Dman, A top C prospect, a speedy winger who might need a new home, and 2 firsts.

NYI loses Hamrlik and his heftly paycheck, a speedy winger, and a draft pick, but gets our best defenseman, and a prospect.

Oil lose our best Dman, arguably our top C prospect, J Chim who isnt getting a fair shake in Edmonton and our pick from Philly, but get that oh so needed legit top Centreman, and J. Blake who has a little more upside the Chimera, and can be used in more situations.

Feel free to add or subtract when needed...flame away.
wow you guys lets settle down and think of this for a second here, lecavelier is not playing becasue he is lazy and doesnt buy into a team system but has tremoundous offensive upside

so basically we are trading

ninimakki
brewer
phily 1st
chimera

for

lecavelier

frankly put as the old cardinal rule goes you never trade a young 30+ min dman for a forward let alone edmontons second best prospect behind hemsky, a 1st and chimera all for lecavelier who is good but he is what he is a 70-90 point player who is a taller version of mike comrie and not the big physical prototype power forward we need to centre our number one line

anyways thats my thoughts

regards
jb

mugu is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 12:25 PM
  #15
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,732
vCash: 500
If we do end up trading Brewer we will be regretting it a week later when everything goes to hell. You do not trade away Niinimaa and Brewer in the span of half a season without getting another top two defenseman back.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 12:46 PM
  #16
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
lol... my bad... saw all the crazy n's and i's and made an assumption. I don't see anyone wanting Niinimaki until his shoulder is completely healed.
I disagree, although I suppose there's a slight risk in trading for a guy who's injured in case he doesn't recover fully or properly... but Niinimaaki is 2-4 years away anyway from being in the NHL, so whoever trades for him wouldn't be in a rush to see him in action anyway. Kind of like getting a 1st-round pick from the Oilers that they would have used to pick him in the summer (when he's completely healed), kinda. You get the idea... (I hope)

Mowzie, hope you weren't so smart as to bleed yourself unconscious, but that was a great leap of mental gymnastics there about scouting TB's scouts...

I, too, would be worried about KLowe trading Brewer at this point. It really looks like Brewer's turning the corner after levelling off for a couple of years there, and we all know (or have heard) that young defencemen can often take a long time to fully develop. Pronger, for instance.

It HAS to be Gator on the block - it just makes so much more sense from the Oilers' point of view. Age/nearness of UFA, salary cost will be going up (arbitration again?), and Smith's role could arguably be taken over by Ulanov for a lot less. And Smith had been struggling at least as much as Brewer the past two seasons, but also looks to have upped his level of play this year, and gritty d-men like him are a sought-after commodity as well by teams looking to beef up for a playoff run. Maybe not as sought-after as Brewer, but I think it would hurt the team less than losing Smith at this point and in the future.

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 01:17 PM
  #17
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
All your Vinny desires could've been satisfied:

Comrie+Brewer+Smith

for

Lecavalier+Kubina+prospect

EDM then trades Horcoff++ or Isbister or Laraque for a young defenceman.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 01:21 PM
  #18
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
I should add that I in no way, shape, or form condone even the fathoming of a Brewer deal at this point. We have invested too much on this guy, and he is one of view current Oilers that we have to bite the bullet on and sign, even if it does hurt the cheque book. Lecavalier intrigues me so much though.

And dont worry about the bleeding incident, it happens all the time, Once I was thinking that if two wrongs dont make a right, than why do rights make a wrong, and if they don't then why do we all make mistakes....

That is my philisophical brilliance working again, and damn here comes the blood. I'll see you guys later.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 01:35 PM
  #19
ToothlessAggression
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 458
vCash: 500
Brewer, Isbister, Philadelphia's 1st.

For

Lecavalier, Modin.

I don't think that is enough to land them??

ToothlessAggression is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
  #20
zamboni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
If we do end up trading Brewer we will be regretting it a week later when everything goes to hell.
Thank you! I couldn't have said it better.

zamboni is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 02:22 PM
  #21
mugu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I disagree, although I suppose there's a slight risk in trading for a guy who's injured in case he doesn't recover fully or properly... but Niinimaaki is 2-4 years away anyway from being in the NHL, so whoever trades for him wouldn't be in a rush to see him in action anyway. Kind of like getting a 1st-round pick from the Oilers that they would have used to pick him in the summer (when he's completely healed), kinda. You get the idea... (I hope)

Mowzie, hope you weren't so smart as to bleed yourself unconscious, but that was a great leap of mental gymnastics there about scouting TB's scouts...

I, too, would be worried about KLowe trading Brewer at this point. It really looks like Brewer's turning the corner after levelling off for a couple of years there, and we all know (or have heard) that young defencemen can often take a long time to fully develop. Pronger, for instance.

It HAS to be Gator on the block - it just makes so much more sense from the Oilers' point of view. Age/nearness of UFA, salary cost will be going up (arbitration again?), and Smith's role could arguably be taken over by Ulanov for a lot less. And Smith had been struggling at least as much as Brewer the past two seasons, but also looks to have upped his level of play this year, and gritty d-men like him are a sought-after commodity as well by teams looking to beef up for a playoff run. Maybe not as sought-after as Brewer, but I think it would hurt the team less than losing Smith at this point and in the future.

Bart
im thinking actually itll be smyth or smith that is to be traded kl went out of his way to have brewer sit beside blake macinnis in the olympics and im sure he views this as good asset management like he likes to put it and to give an asset away while it starts to show positive up tick with a greater up tick just around the corner would be frankly dumb

regards
jb

mugu is offline  
Old
01-07-2004, 08:52 PM
  #22
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I could see the oil just scouting NYI for tonights game. I would be surpised iff the isles have anything left the oil would need. I could see the oil Scouting TB though. I wonder if the oil could swing a Brewer+++for lecavilier?

Maybe something like Brewer, Rita, laraque and philly's 1st for Lecavlier

Man would that fit the bill for our team. We may need to move Smyth for a d-man but we would be set for years to come up the middle.


Isbister Lecavilier Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera stoll horcoff


on the back end i would move smyth to get a d-man so you get real quality. Maybe something like Smyth for Andrei Markov and montreals 1st

smith staois
Semenov Markov
Ulanov Cross

ferguson
On the Markov trade, I think it would be more like Smyth and a 1st (well maybe a bit less) for Markov, the guy is very good, but I really doubt MTL trades him under any circumstances.

kruezer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.