HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anyone else " not care " for Leetch night?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2007, 10:37 AM
  #51
SPG
Registered User
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utica, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I agree, and also think that since he's not retiring a Ranger, it takes a little shine off of it as well. He had a falling out with the team (or perhaps more accurately, with Sather) and is years removed from officially being a Ranger, so a retirement night for him just doesn't seem as personal as it would have been if he had retired as a Ranger.

Still, he deserves to have his number retired, and I'm glad the Rangers are giving him that respect. I just wish he could have been a part of the recent Ranger resurgence and contributed in a positive way. Even in his declining years, he was still capable of some amazing play, and even though I mainly saw him play during the long 7 years of no playoffs (didn't have any way to watch games until then), I saw enough to respect him greatly as a player.
If was going to keep playing for a couple extra years like he did, better off on another team than the Rangers, IMO. The later years of his Rangers career were tough, but those years by no means take away what he did for this franchise when you look at the big picture.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
  #52
Tikkanese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
I moved to NY and started following the Rangers in in '96-'97 (great timing, I know), attending games with a friend who grew up in New Jersey and had been a Rangers fan for life, and Brian Leeth was his favorite player, while I gre up watching Roenick, Chelios and Belfour on the great 'Hawks teams of the late '80s - early '90s (unbelieveable what has happened to that franchise).

We have shared season tickets since '02 - '03, and I remember asking him at some of those games why he thought Leetch was so awesome, given what we were seeing on the ice on those nights. He just reminded me that Leetch was a key member of the '94 team, and that if I had any doubt about his skills, I could look up his stats and try to find highlights of some of the classic games. And every now and then, even just before the trade, I could see the flashes of brilliance on the ice that made Leetch so good in his prime.

Now, for those people who, like me, only saw Leetch play in the twilight of his career, I understand that he may not be your favorite player, or that you don't see what makes him so special, but that is your perception, far divorced from reality.

Admittedly, my friend is far more excited than I am about Leetch night, given that he grew up watching Brian in his prime, but to argue that he doesn't deserve the honour is worse that misguided, it's wholly uninformed and gives too much credit to your own biased/limited view.

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
  #53
giacomin1
Registered User
 
giacomin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
It's fine not to be excited about Leetch night, and to question whether his number, or anyone's number, should be retired.

But there is no doubt in my mind he is the best offensive defenseman ever to play for the Rangers and let's not forget that he was the 94 playooffs MVP, not Messier.

Anyone who saw those playoffs knows that without Leetch there would have been no Cup. He was dominant and came up with big plays whenever they were needed.

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
  #54
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 500
I should rip G52's testicles off for that comment!!!!!!

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, read this:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...3qzPcAyhDNNLDQ


I would say Leetch is probably the most popular Ranger of all-time and he's the reason I become a Rangers fan (my dad is a devils fan). He's the reason why I wore #2 in Hockey, Baseball, and Soccer and #2 is my favorite number. Oh yea, I'm also 26 years old so I got to see him play his entire career.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
  #55
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,628
vCash: 500
Awards:
Leetch might not have been a career Ranger but neither were Giacomin and Messier. Messier left on his own, actually.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:33 AM
  #56
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
I'm also not too excited about Leetch night.....
part of it has to do with the fact that we've had one of these 2 years in a row
part of it has ot do with the fact that leetch always had a low profile, unlike mess who is larger than life, and richter
but make no mistake, this guy is a hall of famer-first ballot- and was able to win two norris' during an era where there was several hall of fame d-men playing (bourque, chelly, coffey, lidstrom, housley, mcinnis, pronger, murphy, stevens.......honestly i cant think of another era with that many big names on defense, and i'm leaving a bunch out)
Show some love for the guy. he's not the sexiest player in our history, but he is THE best d-man we've ever had.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
  #57
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Prucha View Post
how do u "not care" he is agruably one of the greatest ranger defensemen.
He is the greatest defenseman in Rangers history. Stupid thread.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
  #58
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,847
vCash: 500
I this a serious question? I lol'd so I'm not sure if it was a joke or not?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
  #59
Voice of Reason
Registered User
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
As a life long Devils fan (I was in my 20s in 1994 when NYR won the Cup) and unapologetic Ranger hater, you have to be crazy not to respect everything Leetch brought to NYR. Someone earlier said "Wish he was on my team" and they're absolutely right. Leetch is one of the top 10 defensemen in the last 25 years.

Now, the only way I could see someone not being excited for this is Leetch was not a flashy guy. He was a reluctant captain, courteous but no media ***** and never a self-promoter. If someone never got to see him play as long as some of us, his lack of media presence might affect how they see him in general.
OK, grasping at straws there...

Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
  #60
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,158
vCash: 500
Leetch is one of, if not the greatest Rangers of all time, this thread gets Bluenote's highest rating -

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
  #61
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Leetch represents the past.Just like Messier did.The Rangers will honor Leetch and we can all move on.They retire his #2.No more bad feelings about the trade.No more nothing
Well said by RB. Much cleaner than I would have put it. For maybe the first time, I am leaning towards siding with g52.

__________________
Fantasy sports betting at FakePuppy - Pick moneylines, over/unders and spreads. Totally free.
abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
  #62
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
As a life long Devils fan (I was in my 20s in 1994 when NYR won the Cup) and unapologetic Ranger hater, you have to be crazy not to respect everything Leetch brought to NYR. Someone earlier said "Wish he was on my team" and they're absolutely right. Leetch is one of the top 10 defensemen in the last 25 years.
/end of thread

While it's fine not to be as excited because maybe Mess or Mikey was your favorite Ranger, there is NO denying his number deserves to be up there just as much IF NOT MORE than Mess.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
  #63
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesect424 View Post
G52 has serious problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
i'm embarrassed for g52.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
This type of post is why people always make assumptions about teenagers.. you give them bad rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
just ban him, im sure no one would complain about any abuse of power
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
LOL KIDS THESE DAYS (im 18 btw)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
I thought this thread title was some sort of sardonic satire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
All I do is lurk on these boards as I feel I can't contribute much but learn a lot......but gawd reading the OP made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And a LOT of members would do well to follow your lead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I should rip G52's testicles off for that comment!!!!!!

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, read this:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...3qzPcAyhDNNLDQ


I would say Leetch is probably the most popular Ranger of all-time and he's the reason I become a Rangers fan (my dad is a devils fan). He's the reason why I wore #2 in Hockey, Baseball, and Soccer and #2 is my favorite number. Oh yea, I'm also 26 years old so I got to see him play his entire career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
He is the greatest defenseman in Rangers history. Stupid thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I this a serious question? I lol'd so I'm not sure if it was a joke or not?
Typical proof of what is wrong with this forum.

Unless Im some 30+ year old loser without a job thats been watching the Rangers for over 20 years, then I have no room to talk.

Again, this is a message board, its all about opinion.

Re-read my original post. I concluded with this statement:

" Im not dissing Leetch since I loved him as a player, but I really dont care much at all for his retirement night for some reason. "

Where did I say I hated Leetch? I'd love to see someone pick that out for me. Mostly all the banter in this thread past my original post is how could I hate or knock the guy.

Im guessing either one of three things:

1) Some people on this site don't know how to read the English language.
2) Some people (when reading this post) were drunk and started seeing things.
3) Some people didn't even read the entire topic, and like most of the arrogant folk here, were quick to jump the gun and flame.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:41 PM
  #64
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
G52: you couldn't possibly think that your post wouldn't have gotten you flamed, did you? In many cases you were presented with reason why Leetch's number SHOULD be retired, yet you never responded, and when you finally did respond, it wasn't to any of the cogent remarks as to why you were thought to be wrong. Instead, you reacted like any 18 year old with snippets of posts that prove how you were wronged, and woe is you. If you want the respect of this board, stand by your original post with reasons that support your argument, unless your only reason for making hte original post was to troll the forums.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
  #65
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 28,006
vCash: 500
I don't think the original thread poster was questioning whether or not Leetch deserves to be hanging in the rafters. He just doesn't feel as excited as the rest of you for whatever reason. Who cares?

As someone who grew up in Rockland, surrounded by Rangers fans and tuning into Sam and JD on a nightly basis, I can say without hesitation that Leetch is worthy of a nice, long, meaningful ceremony. He was one of those guys who, when you saw him play, you just gazed. You didn't say anything, you didn't really react, you just watched as he took over and dominated. He was smooth, smart, solid, and well-rounded, and you'd always know when he was on the ice. The numbers and accolades speak volumes, and I know that personally, I'll be very, very teary-eyed when #2 gets risen, just as I was when they brought up #11.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
  #66
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
I think the OP needs a large dose of the adage "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all". I realize this is a forum, but publicly stating that you basically don't care about one of the greatest Rangers of all time and claiming he wasn't one of the "greats" is just asking to get flamed. Would you go up to a die-hard Ranger fan in the City and tell him how you feel exactly? I didn't think so...

And let's not forget, you were the "smart" one that completely trashed European players during the last season by generalizing like no other and making inflammatory statements. You deserve all that is coming


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 09-12-2007 at 01:34 PM.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
  #67
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,628
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Typical proof of what is wrong with this forum.

Unless Im some 30+ year old loser without a job thats been watching the Rangers for over 20 years, then I have no room to talk.

Again, this is a message board, its all about opinion.

Re-read my original post. I concluded with this statement:

" Im not dissing Leetch since I loved him as a player, but I really dont care much at all for his retirement night for some reason. "

Where did I say I hated Leetch? I'd love to see someone pick that out for me. Mostly all the banter in this thread past my original post is how could I hate or knock the guy.

Opinions are fine. If you are not excited about Leetch night, fine.

Where you start losing people is when you make statements like:

while Leetch broke a ton of defensive records for the Rangers, he isnt even close to some of the other greats.

and

I wouldve bought tickets for Messier night, which was awesome on TV. But Im sorry, Leetch doesnt even come close to how great Mess was. He was the Messiah, and he did so many more great things then Brian did.

What is this based on?

If you are just not that into the night, that's fine - it's your opinion. To say that Leetch doesn't match up to some of the Rangers greats is ignorant. At the very least come up with reasons why.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
  #68
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
G52: you couldn't possibly think that your post wouldn't have gotten you flamed, did you? In many cases you were presented with reason why Leetch's number SHOULD be retired, yet you never responded, and when you finally did respond, it wasn't to any of the cogent remarks as to why you were thought to be wrong. Instead, you reacted like any 18 year old with snippets of posts that prove how you were wronged, and woe is you. If you want the respect of this board, stand by your original post with reasons that support your argument, unless your only reason for making hte original post was to troll the forums.
This post could NOT be any more wrong.

Why should I be " flamed " if I am not as excited for Leetch night as some of you others?

And I couldnt respond because I was at school for the day?

Im sorry Im not one of those 30 year old losers that sits around all day on HF and posts 500 times a day.

I wasnt intending to troll.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
  #69
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBud View Post
I don't think the original thread poster was questioning whether or not Leetch deserves to be hanging in the rafters. He just doesn't feel as excited as the rest of you for whatever reason. Who cares?

As someone who grew up in Rockland, surrounded by Rangers fans and tuning into Sam and JD on a nightly basis, I can say without hesitation that Leetch is worthy of a nice, long, meaningful ceremony. He was one of those guys who, when you saw him play, you just gazed. You didn't say anything, you didn't really react, you just watched as he took over and dominated. He was smooth, smart, solid, and well-rounded, and you'd always know when he was on the ice. The numbers and accolades speak volumes, and I know that personally, I'll be very, very teary-eyed when #2 gets risen, just as I was when they brought up #11.
Finally someone that gets it.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:39 PM
  #70
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Opinions are fine. If you are not excited about Leetch night, fine.

Where you start losing people is when you make statements like:

while Leetch broke a ton of defensive records for the Rangers, he isnt even close to some of the other greats.

and

I wouldve bought tickets for Messier night, which was awesome on TV. But Im sorry, Leetch doesnt even come close to how great Mess was. He was the Messiah, and he did so many more great things then Brian did.

What is this based on?

If you are just not that into the night, that's fine - it's your opinion. To say that Leetch doesn't match up to some of the Rangers greats is ignorant. At the very least come up with reasons why.
When I meant greats is that he lacks that aura that Messier had.

Messier carried the entire '94 team on his back to the Cup. Leetch contributed during that run, but Mess's heroics is what evenutally gave NY the Cup. The Game 6 heroics, the locker room speeches (including during the season), etc.

Read the book Messier by Jeff Z. Klein and you know what Im talking about.

Messier was amazing on the ice and did so many great things as a leader. He was one of those players that came along and changed the game for the entire NHL in terms of leadership.

Brian had leadership and was a great player, but I dont get that same mystical (God-like) image from him as I do from Mess.

Ive only been a Ranger fan since late 2002, so I know that I saw Leetch mostly while he was on the downswing of his career, but that still doesn't prohibit me from watching old film of these greats and seeing what they did.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
  #71
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,628
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
When I meant greats is that he lacks that aura that Messier had.

Messier was amazing on the ice and did so many great things as a leader. He was one of those players that came along and changed the game for the entire NHL in terms of leadership.

Brian had leadership, but he isnt on the same level as Messier.
Messier 1.0 was all those things.

That said, Leetch's Ranger career is better than Mess'. At least IMO.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
  #72
ebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
As an older person who was in College when the Rangers won the CUP Leetch was amazing and won the Playoffs MVP I believe. HE should be retired. Where would we be without that CUP year. still screaming 1940.

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:45 PM
  #73
g52*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Messier 1.0 was all those things.

That said, Leetch's Ranger career is better than Mess'. At least IMO.
Messier 1.0? I dont get it.

Leetch may look like he had a better career since he broke more records in a less offensive position.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
  #74
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post

Messier carried the entire '94 team on his back to the Cup. Leetch contributed during that run, but Mess's heroics is what evenutally gave NY the Cup. The Game 6 heroics, the locker room speeches (including during the season), etc.


And yet it was Leetchie who ended up with the Conn Smythe..not to mention the first of only 2 non-Canadians to do so. Part of who Leetch was, was his quiet persona, yet his amazing skill. I still remember him as one of the best at finishing off a check...one thing that a lot of people forget about.

If you're going to mention Leetch's twilight isn't it a bit short sided not to remember Mess's twilight?

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
  #75
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Messier 1.0? I dont get it.
Mess played 2 stints with the Rangers.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.