HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does anyone else " not care " for Leetch night?

Old
09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
hard to say leetch had a better career than mess. numbers surely indicate that he did, but mess really did revive this franchise, and regardless of his other achievments, he's always ognna be viewed as the consumate ranger by the new york fans.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I really don't care. I'll definitely watch it on tv, but there's no way I'd pay that much for a ticket. I'll save my money for the playoffs.

09-12-2007, 02:31 PM
TomLaidlaw

Hilarious Thread.

I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up, once his age was revealed it was obvious that he didn't even see Leetch play during his prime. It would be like me not getting excited about Dizzy Dean getting his number retired. This is a perfect example of something that should have stayed in your head. What possible reaction did you expect posting your indifference to Leetch on a message board filled with die hard ranger fans. It would be like me posting on the Penguins board that I don't care about Mario Lemieux, even if its my opinion I have to expect a reaction from the penguin fans who do care. Use your head.

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 09-12-2007 at 02:42 PM.
TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Hilarious Thread.

I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up, once his age was revealed it was obvious that he didn't even see Leetch play during his prime. It would be like me not getting excited about Dizzy Dean getting his number retired. This is a perfect example of something that should have stayed in your head. What possible reaction did you expect posting your indifference to Leetch on a message board filled with die hard ranger fans. It would be like me posting on the Penguins board that I don't care about Mario Lemieux, even if its my opinion I have to expect a reaction from the penguin fans who do care. Use your head.
When i was 14 or 15 I saw Giacomin get his number retired and he was long gone by the time i was a fan. During his ceremony i cried like a baby.

True Blue baby

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 02:49 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
hard to say leetch had a better career than mess. numbers surely indicate that he did, but mess really did revive this franchise, and regardless of his other achievments, he's always ognna be viewed as the consumate ranger by the new york fans.
He didn't revive a franchise. He came to a team that was already good.

And I'm not talking about a better career (few players have had better careers than Messier). I'm talking about careers as a Ranger.

09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
TheHotRock

I know exactly what you mean, its just hard to put any ranger on a higher pedestal than Mess.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
I know exactly what you mean, its just hard to put any ranger on a higher pedestal than Mess.
For me, I always thought much more highly of Leetch and Richter. I don't know, something about Mess leaving really hurt his credibility with me.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
TomLaidlaw

Mess played the majority of his career in Edmonton. I've said this before, I truly feel like one of the criteria for having your jersey retired with a team is that you had to spend the majority of your career with that team. Mess should have only had his jersey retired in Edmonton in my opinion. That wouldn't have made him any less special to us Ranger fans for what he did for us.
Your suppose to associate a player with a team when their # is retired. You think Richter or Leetch you think Rangers, you think Bobby Orr or Cam Neely you think Bruins, you think Bobby Clarke you think Flyers etc etc. When people think about Messier they think Edmonton then Rangers.

Let me preface that by saying I am one of Messiers biggest supporters and will never forget what he did for us. However, I don't think his number should be hanging in MSG.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102 View Post
For me, I always thought much more highly of Leetch and Richter. I don't know, something about Mess leaving really hurt his credibility with me.
Agreed. Maybe because they experienced their greatest career success as Rangers. Although what hurt Messier's credibility more than him leaving, IMO, was him returning.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Ok yea I know, hes getting his number retired and most of you here are dying to get tickets to this " coveted " night.

But am I the only one here who really doesnt care much about Leetch night?

I never thought the Rangers shouldve retired Richter's number, and while Leetch broke a ton of defensive records for the Rangers, he isnt even close to some of the other greats.

I wouldve bought tickets for Messier night, which was awesome on TV. But Im sorry, Leetch doesnt even come close to how great Mess was. He was the Messiah, and he did so many more great things then Brian did.

Im not dissing Leetch since I loved him as a player, but I really dont care much at all for his retirement night for some reason.
Leetch and Richter deserve to have their numbers retired in NY just as much as Messier. Hell, they are more pure-bred Rangers than Mess is coming from EDM. Not to mention, Mess is the only one of the three that chose to leave.

This thread pisses me off!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
When I meant greats is that he lacks that aura that Messier had.

Messier carried the entire '94 team on his back to the Cup. Leetch contributed during that run, but Mess's heroics is what evenutally gave NY the Cup. The Game 6 heroics, the locker room speeches (including during the season), etc.

Read the book Messier by Jeff Z. Klein and you know what Im talking about.

Messier was amazing on the ice and did so many great things as a leader. He was one of those players that came along and changed the game for the entire NHL in terms of leadership.

Brian had leadership and was a great player, but I dont get that same mystical (God-like) image from him as I do from Mess.

Ive only been a Ranger fan since late 2002, so I know that I saw Leetch mostly while he was on the downswing of his career, but that still doesn't prohibit me from watching old film of these greats and seeing what they did.
You don't get that image from Leetch because he never projected that image. Messier loved the limelight and he courted the media. Messier was a great leader and he was also the media's dream. Leetch hated the publicity and was never comfortable in the public eye. Messier projected the personality of the team, while Leetch was really it's most skilled player at the time (in my opinion). They were yin and yang to each other. There's a reason Messier spent his entire Rangers career extolling Leetch's virtues: he knew Leetch wouldn't do it for himself.

Now don't accuse me of being a 30 year-old loser here, but there is truth to what the old-timers say. We don't need to read any books about Mark Messier because, even if I am only 10 years older than you, we saw the entire '94 season unfold ourselves. We saw how Messier led the team, but also how Leetch, Graves and Richter were his vital lieutenants. (For those who know their French History, the best analogy I can think of is that if Messier was Napoleon, Leetch was his Masséna).

Leetch was simply mind-blowing in his prime. More than anyone else on the 1994 Stanley Cup-Winning team, Leetch was able to control the flow of play all by himself. There were moments where Leetch seemed to lower everyone else on the ice into a hypnotic trance -- to the viewer, it looked like everyone else on the ice just went into slow motion. His skill was simply awesome: Pat Quinn, the opposing coach in the '94 finals called him as good as Bobby Orr.

Now Leetch's end-to-end rushes are legendary, but there is a lot to the player that doesn't make the highlight reels. Facing an odd-man rush, there was no defenceman I would rather have on the ice. His positional play was simply perfect. He routinely logged over 30 minutes of icetime. His first pass was always on the mark and he almost never was guilty of a turnover.

Leetch in his prime was a bonafide superstar. While nowadays other players get more ink, you should also note that he was the only player at the beginning of '94 who was a genuine Rangers superstar, too. There were a lot of people who still thought of Messier as more of an Oiler than a Ranger (and there are plenty of folks in western Canada who still do), Richter was the guy whom the Rangers took a gamble on instead of keeping Vanbiesbrouck (much to my annoyance: they let go of my favourite player on the team!), and Adam Graves was a popular winger who was still most famous in the rest of the league for breaking Mario Lemieux's wrist two years earlier.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but what I'm really trying to do is convince you that Brian Leetch was as much part of the Rangers' success as anyone else. Indeed, if you ask me, he was as vital to the success of '94 as was Messier: remove either one from the team and the Rangers would not have won the Cup.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
WHAT?!?!?!?

Brian Leetch is not only the best defensman to put on a Rangers jersey, hes arguably the best American born defenseman EVER. Yes - EVER.

I'd like you to name another whos better.

Not saying I necessarily agree, but I think many people would respond with Chris Chelios.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 05:40 PM
sickboy35

i think everyone has said it all, me i'm not going to comment because you won't like what i say! dissing leetch is the stupidest thing i've heard on this board and there have been alot of dumb things said, but you were (are) 4 years old at his hey day!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
You don't have to care for Leetch night. However, it is pretty important to remember history of the team. It's like saying "I don't care much that our team won the cup in 94."

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Leetch is not only the best defenseman in the history of the Rangers, he is the best PLAYER in the history of the Rangers. It's unfathomable to me to not be excited about his retirement ceremony. And he certainly is more deserving of the honor than Messier was. Not taking anything away from Messier, but his number is in the rafters for one reason and one reason only. He captained the Rangers to the Cup. Leetch is going to the rafters for his entire career as a Ranger, not just the Cup. And one could certainly argue that it was the beginning of Leetch's career that started the turnaround for the franchise, not the acquisition of Messier.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 06:31 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
You don't have to care for Leetch night. However, it is pretty important to remember history of the team. It's like saying "I don't care much that our team won the cup in 94."
Right on. Exactly how I feel.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Ok yea I know, hes getting his number retired and most of you here are dying to get tickets to this " coveted " night.

But am I the only one here who really doesnt care much about Leetch night?

I never thought the Rangers shouldve retired Richter's number, and while Leetch broke a ton of defensive records for the Rangers, he isnt even close to some of the other greats.

I wouldve bought tickets for Messier night, which was awesome on TV. But Im sorry, Leetch doesnt even come close to how great Mess was. He was the Messiah, and he did so many more great things then Brian did.

Im not dissing Leetch since I loved him as a player, but I really dont care much at all for his retirement night for some reason.
I'm with you, but for different reasons... I remember Richter night got me tearyy-eyed, but it lasted 40 minutes tops. Messier night was cool, but after about 90 minutes, I was busting to watch the game and get past the syrupy stuff.

I just hope Leetch night isn't as drawn-out and dramatic.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I'm with you, but for different reasons... I remember Richter night got me tearyy-eyed, but it lasted 40 minutes tops. Messier night was cool, but after about 90 minutes, I was busting to watch the game and get past the syrupy stuff.

I just hope Leetch night isn't as drawn-out and dramatic.
Knowing Leetch and the league's newly added restrictions on cermonies such as this, it won't be.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 07:33 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Unless Im some 30+ year old loser without a job thats been watching the Rangers for over 20 years, then I have no room to talk.
I'm 19 and I work my way through school... I guess I'm not the "typical" you were talking about? But I have been watching the Rangers for nearly all my life, about 15yrs as my pops would say.

But just like you voiced your opinion, we're voicing ours. Just like we didn't like your opinion, you don't like ours. Don't post something, especially something not positive about a legendary Ranger and not expect some negative feedback. You can't expect everyone to agree with you, or feel the same way do you? You made a thread, with an opinion, expect someone to reply, with a different opinion.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Fletch

Leetch is an All-time Ranger...

perhaps 'the' All Time Ranger. Hope to be there that night. Agree with some on the length of the ceremony - but no doubt, it'll be very special and it's well deserved.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Figgles*

No Leetch and you guys are still hearing the 1940 chants.

What a ridiculous thread.

Figgles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'm not going to go crazy, but I just can't get past the "Leetch was great, but didn't even come close to some of the other greats". I honestly struggle to think of a Ranger who had a better career than him. The best compliment I can think of is when a fan of another team that HATES your team praises a player and says "I wish he was on my team." I see that alot with Derek Jeter with the Yankees and Brian Leetch was ALWAYS that guy. That speaks volumes.

While on topic, I also can't believe that it's thought that the Rangers shouldn't retire Richter's number. Um..he's arguably the best American-born goalie of all-time, he was so good early on that he forced out John Vanbiesbrouck (who was outstanding with us, by the way) and he backstopped us to the first cup since 1940. That one I do not get at all.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 08:14 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Unless Im some 30+ year old loser without a job thats been watching the Rangers for over 20 years, then I have no room to talk.
You don't need to point the finger at specific people. If you have a different opinion, you are wrong. It doesn't matter how old you are or whether you have job.

09-12-2007, 08:55 PM
alkurtz

Leetch and Park....to add to what everyone has said about Leetch (aside from being the greatest Ranger of them all): his work ethic and competitive nature were unmatched. His will to win rivaled Messier (but in a quiet way) and he was always the "most fit" of the Rangers. It took me years to warm up to his low key personality....but I came to understand that beneath that placid exterior was a fire that defined him as a player.
Was a season ticket holder in the blues for the entire Park era and think his number should be retired, but there were "issues" with him. He was part of the first generation of offensive dmen after Bobby Orr and he always suffered by the comparison to Orr. While Orr delivered 2 Cups, Park was never able to do the same (though Ratelle's broken ankle with a month to go in 1972 might have cost us a Cup). Park was a more physical D than Leetch by far (when he first came up, fans in the blueseats called him "the baby faced killer"). Park also seemed to suffer injuries late in the season. There was always an undercurrent of unhappiness with Park among Ranger fans...a feeling that he was somehow underachieving and not giving it his all. Perhaps he made things look too easy. Many fans were not all that upset to see him traded, feeling that he just didn't deliver the goods. But all of this was, IMO, unfair, and stemmed from that comparison to Orr and the fact that the great Ranger teams of the Francis era were always second best to the Bruins and later, as the Rangers fell from an elite team to a very good team, to the Flyers of the Broad Street Bullies days. ironically, Park (and Ratelle) could not bring a Cup to the Bruins as by that time, the Bruins were #2 to the great Canadian teams of the late 70s (if you want to check out their won/lost record, you'll see some amazing stats). I think the Park led Bruins lost 2x to Montreal in the Cup finals. But, he was a great Ranger and I'd love to see his number up in the rafters.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Im guessing either one of three things:

1) Some people on this site don't know how to read the English language.
2) Some people (when reading this post) were drunk and started seeing things.
3) Some people didn't even read the entire topic, and like most of the arrogant folk here, were quick to jump the gun and flame.
Some people need to learn about the history of the team they root for and not believe everything they hear on the 1,000th MSG special about Mark Messier.

Many of us can read the English language perfectly. It's not the arrangement of the words but the ignorance those words stand for that has many of us scratching our heads.

But what do I know? I'm just some 30+ Rangers fan with a job, a bunch of tickets for this season and a disdain for people who generalize anyone who does not agree with a statement that has little to no validity.

Is my english okay?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote