HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2007, 10:15 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
Oh man I'd love for him to be... I have to be on a bus at 8:30 tomorrow morning. That's 11:30 eastern.
pappy's usually in bed early, and he's usually awake really early.

Request for the commish: We have three GMs ready to pick (E-Speak, mulls and myself). If the Speaker forwarded a copy of pappy's PM that agrees to the trade, could the Speaker then announce his pick, in the interest of keeping tonight moving?

Old
09-12-2007, 10:17 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post

Request for the commish: We have three GMs ready to pick (E-Speak, mulls and myself). If the Speaker forwarded a copy of pappy's PM that agrees to the trade, could the Speaker then announce his pick, in the interest of keeping tonight moving?
Really, I can't see pappy passing up a trade like that even if he hadn't agreed to it beforehand.

Old
09-12-2007, 10:18 PM
BM67

Quote:

Sure.

Old
09-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Well he responded to my counter offer two day's ago with just a simple "ok". so maybe we should wait for his confirmation.

Old
09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
blast otherwise I won't get to make my pick

Old
09-12-2007, 10:49 PM
raleh

I'd say make the pick Mullin. Pappy has traded for Hull in three drafts and this looks to be a pretty good deal for him.

Old
09-12-2007, 11:08 PM
shawnmullin

Well I'd have to wait for ES too

Old
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

BM gave me the OK.

The Boston Bruins are very pleased to bring D Doug Harvey to the organization. In our mind there are very few players we would rather have going into the playoffs than Doug. He is 2nd only to Orr with ability to control the game from the backend with his intelligence and all-around skill (checking, rushing, passing, stichhandling, leadership, you name it). He is a true team player that saves his best for the big games and makes everyone around better. Doug led all defensemen in playoff scoring an astonishing 7 times which is an all-time record. Every year he won the cup he had a Smythe like run and was considered by many to be even more valuble than the likes of his teammates Jean Beliveau, Jacques Plante and Maurice Richard. "If our team had Harvey we would have won 9 cups instead of only 4" - Ted Lindsay.

"Defensively Harvey was far superior to Orr thus, to anybody he faced. Indeed he was probably the finest natural athlete ever to play our game.
His stamina was something to behold. If the team had lost two or more players to injury, especially in the middle of a road trip, Doug would play all night. If he needed a rest, or thought the game was too frisky for his liking, hed simply slow it down. How could a single player change the tempo of a game? Doug could. He would control the puck and defy any corners to take it away from him. Fore-checkers were reluctant to go all-out against him because he could handle them physically or embarrass them with a sudden move. When someone got careless hed let go a long pass that would spring a teammate into the open for a breakaway." - Jean Belivea

Doug is a true star and will mean everything to our team.

Last edited by Evil Speaker: 09-14-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
Thrown a bit for a loop, the New York Rangers are nonetheless proud to select someone who is our BPA since we're all about value, LW Zdeno Cige... wait. Really? Oh, alright, but if he fails, it's on your head! This one is all the scouting director. The Rangers select C Jean Beliveau.

Size, skill, class, grace, but no shrinking violet, he was a fantastic presence in the locker room and the longest serving Captain in Canadiens history at ten years. What more needs to be said?

6 Time First Team All-Star
4 Time Second Team All-Star
2 Time Hart Trophy Winner
Conn Smythe Trophy Winner
Art Ross Trophy Winner
10 Time Stanley Cup Winner
Fantastic work by my co-GM here, if I could have anyones career in the history of hockey, it would absolutely be Beliveau's.

Also, for the record, the top 6 picks went exactly the way I would take them.

Old
09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Not so fast...

Trade Announcment:

From Boston - Bobby Hull, #52(2nd), #108(4th), #388(14th)

From Guelph - #9(1st), #48(2nd), #104(4th), #384(14th)

pappy to confirm
I confirm.

Old
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Nalyd Psycho

First time there's been no surprises in the top 9.

09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
shawnmullin

*sigh* two drafts in a row I thought I'd have Harvey (last time I drafted him in the big pick controversy) and now I have to re-think things a little.

Pick very soon.

Old
09-12-2007, 11:43 PM
raleh

Quote:
BM gave me the OK.

The Boston Bruins are very pleased to bring D Doug Harvey to the organization. In our mind there are very few players we would rather have going into the playoffs than Doug. He is 2nd only to Orr with ability to control the game from the backend with his intelligence and all-around skill (checking, rushing, passing, stichhandling, leadership, you name it). He is a true team player that saves his best for the big games and makes everyone around better. Doug led all defensemen in playoff scoring an astonishing 7 times which is an all-time record. Every year he won the cup he had a Smythe like run and was considered by many to be even more valuble than the likes of his teammates Jean Beliveau, Jacques Plante and Maurice Richard. "If our team had Harvey we would have won 9 cups instead of only 4" - Ted Lindsay.

"Defensively Harvey was far superior to Orr thus, to anybody he faced. Indeed he was probably the finest natural athlete ever to play our game.
His stamina was something to behold. If the team had lost two or more players to injury, especially in the middle of a road trip, Doug would play all night. If he needed a rest, or thought the game was too frisky for his liking, hed simply slow it down. How could a single player change the tempo of a game? Doug could. He would control the puck and defy any corners to take it away from him. Fore-checkers were reluctant to go all-out against him because he could handle them physically or embarrass them with a sudden move. When someone got careless hed let go a long pass that would spring a teammate into the open for a breakaway." - Jean Beliveau

Doug is a true star and will mean everything to our team.
Speaker- is that quote from Beliveau from the forward of the Doug Harvey biography? I think it's called "Doug" or something like that.

Old
09-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
Speaker- is that quote from Beliveau from the forward of the Doug Harvey biography? I think it's called "Doug" or something like that.
No it's from Beliveau's autobiography called "My Life in Hockey".

Old
09-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
*sigh* two drafts in a row I thought I'd have Harvey (last time I drafted him in the big pick controversy) and now I have to re-think things a little.

Pick very soon.
Hopefully you'll have a back-up plan next time.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:05 AM
shawnmullin

I expected someone to take a goalie before my pick, so this kind of threw me for a loop.

However, the Victoria Cougars are quite pleased to select a man who has an impressive winning track record to help bring a championship back to Vancouver Island.

One of the greatest wingers of all time, RW Guy Lafleur.

Career Highlites stolen from GBC:

*Five-time Stanley Cup champion (1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979)
*Inducted into the HHOF in 1988, then launched a three-season comeback.
*Six-time first team all-star RW (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980)
*Three-time Lester B. Pearson winner (1976, 1977, 1978)
*Three-time Art Ross winner (1976, 1977, 1978)
*Two-time Hart Trophy winner (1977, 1978)
*Scored 110 points in 72 post-season games during remarkable six-year peak. Also averaged over 125 points per regular season during his peak.
*No. 11 on the THN Top 100 list

From legends of hockey:

Quote:
Lafleur joined the Montreal Canadiens the very fall he was drafted and became the first player in NHL history to score at least 50 goals and 100 points in six consecutive seasons. When asked about developing his talent from a young age up to that of a consistent 50-goal scorer, Lafleur said: "I think it was always there and it was maybe a matter of bringing it out. It was harder than I thought it would be and I had to try harder. I had to regain my confidence, maybe the most important thing. I have learned a lot to relax. I know what I can do now, and I do it."

Lafleur was a First Team all-star in all six of those consecutive 50-goal seasons and won the scoring title three times, the Hart Trophy twice and the Conn Smythe Trophy once. He has the highest career point and assist totals in Montreal history, as well as the second-highest goal total behind Rocket Richard. And when Lafleur reached the 1,000-point mark, he did it in just 720 games, the shortest time taken to hit that milestone in NHL history. After that, he concluded: "I'm not going to say that now that I have 1,000 points I can sit down and relax. I've got five or six years to go and I can shoot for more."

Sportswriter Bill Libby said that Lafleur "typifies what is best about this sport. He is an artist on skates, creating scoring plays the way a painter puts a vivid scene on a canvas with a brush. His start is explosively quick and his stride is swifter than the others. He sees where his opponents and teammates are and anticipates where they will be. He is a spectacular athlete in a spectacular sport and it is wonderful watching him work."

During his 14 years with the Canadiens, Lafleur and his teammates won the Stanley Cup five times. After Montreal won the Stanley Cup in 1978, he borrowed it for the weekend without telling anyone to show his friends back home in Thurso. Lafleur boldly displayed it on his front lawn for all his neighbors to see!

Old
09-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Well, you made the right call, mullin, though I must say you were lucky to be sitting at ten and not eleven if you were expecting a goalie to go at the top. Guy Lafleur is a pretty nice consolation prize.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:13 AM
God Bless Canada

With their first pick, Halifax RCAF is pleased to welcome a player whose combination of longevity, consistency and peak value are almost unprecedented in the game. A first-team all-star in his first season and last season, and 11 other times in his career. A minute-munching defenceman who was not only one of the best offensive defencemen ever, but widely considered the best defensive defenceman in the league at his peak:

D Ray Bourque

Career highlights:
*2001 Stanley Cup champion
*Carried the Boston Bruins to two Stanley Cup final births
*Two-time Canada Cup champion
*Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2004
*13-time first team all-star
*Six-time second-team all-star
*A first-team all-star in his first and last seasons
*Five-time Norris Trophy winner
*Two-time Hart Trophy finalist
*Retired as the NHL's all-time career points leader among defencemen
*Calder Trophy winner (1980)
*King Clancy Memorial Trophy winner (1992)
*No. 14 on the THN top 100 list

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 09-13-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old
09-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
No it's from Beliveau's autobiography called "My Life in Hockey".
Jean Beliveau has the most awesome bug eyes and francophone accent in film interviews as an old man. The guy could have his own prime-time comedy show.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Jean Beliveau has the most awesome bug eyes and francophone accent in film interviews as an old man. The guy could have his own prime-time comedy show.
Haha, agreed. The man has an outstanding personality. I remember having a good laugh a few times during the book. His book also didn't reek of bias, almost as if he wasn't a true Hab faithful...because we all know how biased they can be..

Old
09-13-2007, 01:28 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Well, you made the right call, mullin, though I must say you were lucky to be sitting at ten and not eleven if you were expecting a goalie to go at the top. Guy Lafleur is a pretty nice consolation prize.
Bourque and Lafleur were 1-2 on our list for No. 11. I thought mulls would pick Bourque, leaving us with that pretty nice consolation prize. Lafleur had that awesome six-year peak (likely the best ever for a forward outside of Howe, Gretzky and Lemieux). And that peak was good enough for me to pick him at No. 13 in the last draft. Game-breakers are hard to find in this draft. But defencemen the order of Ray Bourque are even harder to find. That's why Bourque was the player at the top of our list (we knew we weren't going to get one of the guys who went in the top nine) from the start.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:33 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
Hopefully you'll have a back-up plan next time.
Oh I was pretty sure what I was going to do... but with Harvey it'd have been a no brainer for me.

With him going, I spent quite a while going back and fourth on Bourque, Lafleur and another option.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:35 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
Bourque and Lafleur were 1-2 on our list for No. 11. I thought mulls would pick Bourque, leaving us with that pretty nice consolation prize. Lafleur had that awesome six-year peak (likely the best ever for a forward outside of Howe, Gretzky and Lemieux). And that peak was good enough for me to pick him at No. 13 in the last draft. Game-breakers are hard to find in this draft. But defencemen the order of Ray Bourque are even harder to find. That's why Bourque was the player at the top of our list (we knew we weren't going to get one of the guys who went in the top nine) from the start.
My problem with Bourque is winning. One ring as a parachute player and never able to get his team over the hump while in his prime. Of course the Bruins could have and should have done more to give him more weapons, but when I was going back and fourth on who to pick... (and in my first draft I chose Bourque) I finally determined that I felt more comfortable taking the guy with 5 rings over the guy with 1.

VERY different positions with very different responsibilities. I'd love to have either guy.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:45 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
My problem with Bourque is winning. One ring as a parachute player and never able to get his team over the hump while in his prime. Of course the Bruins could have and should have done more to give him more weapons, but when I was going back and fourth on who to pick... (and in my first draft I chose Bourque) I finally determined that I felt more comfortable taking the guy with 5 rings over the guy with 1.

VERY different positions with very different responsibilities. I'd love to have either guy.
I'm not worried about Bourque's rings. First, he was more than a "parachute guy" in 2001. He was a first-team all-star that year. He also won two Canada Cup championships.

He was never on a team in Boston that had a legit chance at the Cup. They were always a three or four-player team. They didn't have the depth to beat a team like the Islanders or the Oilers in the 80s, and they never changed the depth problem in the 90s.

raleh and I looked at the options for the next round. We knew there were still lots of marquee offensive players out there. But we knew we wouldn't get a top 10 all-time defencemen. Bigger drop in quality from the fourth defenceman drafted to the No. 12-15 defencemen drafted, than there is from the No. 7 forward drafted to the No. 20 forward (or so) drafted.

Old
09-13-2007, 02:10 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
I'm not worried about Bourque's rings. First, he was more than a "parachute guy" in 2001. He was a first-team all-star that year. He also won two Canada Cup championships.

He was never on a team in Boston that had a legit chance at the Cup. They were always a three or four-player team. They didn't have the depth to beat a team like the Islanders or the Oilers in the 80s, and they never changed the depth problem in the 90s.

raleh and I looked at the options for the next round. We knew there were still lots of marquee offensive players out there. But we knew we wouldn't get a top 10 all-time defencemen. Bigger drop in quality from the fourth defenceman drafted to the No. 12-15 defencemen drafted, than there is from the No. 7 forward drafted to the No. 20 forward (or so) drafted.
Well there are always reasons to not win. Any great player who never got a ring or only got one in this case can have reasons for why they only have one. Ultimately you win or you don't. I don't say that to trash Bourque, but more to say when looking at the top 10 players drafted I see a lot of Stanley Cup rings. I'm more comfortable also having a guy with a full hand of 'em than a guy with just the one. Especially when IMO there's not much else to seperate them given how hard it is to compare great winger to great D.

As for forwards vs. D, I've found that top winger is a very hard position to fill in a satisfactory way. If it was a C I might agree with you (in terms of there being more depth in later rounds) but not so much at wing.

Closed Thread