HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips for second game

Old
09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
Tips for second game

sunday was my first ice hockey game and i have another this sunday. can you guys please suggest some tips and especially some defensive ones. i play center and right wing. i only had one shot and i didnt get it off very well, i missed the bottom left post by 2 inches. i may have gotten an assist but i dont remember. i think i did pretty good for my first game. also can anyone suggest some quickplays that i can tell my line and then maybe we can try them out? thanks

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
My suggestion is not worry about points so much, they will come. Also when your out there dont think to much, just let your instincts take over. And if your playing D dont watch the other player puck, stick, feet, head, and shoulders. Watch his waist!

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
greekdrummer

Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
yea i dont really care about assists, its just that scoring some goals would be nice. after all what did i pay $500 for

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2007, 05:37 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Don't worry about plays, etc but for defense, you need to communiate with your D if your playing C and switch off players...but do generally hang near the slot. If you RW, don't let the opposing D get by you or get a shot off, and be sure to get the puck out if it comes to you. Everything else will come eventually....defense first.

Only thing to suggest on offense is to find an open area and start calling for the puck! Even if you can skate or shoot camping out especially in the front of the net will net you goals.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
vexXed

On defense you could backcheck. Your defensemen will love you for it (trust me I am one) and it makes a huge difference.

When forechecking, get your stick in to their passing lanes but you should be skating from where the opposition wants to pass to, towards them, as this forces him to change direction. Don't charge at them, but glide quickly knees bent, so you can be ready to react if they try to deke you.

When starting out, it's probably best to keep the tactics simple so I would say just crash the net.

Watch this vid on positioning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SDvPAKt1w

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 12:51 AM
McNasty

Just work the puck with your linemates, make sure you keep moving whether its on offense or defense. The scoring will come when you get more comfortable out there. Just move your feet and communicate and you will do fine.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
On defense you could backcheck. Your defensemen will love you for it (trust me I am one) and it makes a huge difference.

When forechecking, get your stick in to their passing lanes but you should be skating from where the opposition wants to pass to, towards them, as this forces him to change direction. Don't charge at them, but glide quickly knees bent, so you can be ready to react if they try to deke you.

When starting out, it's probably best to keep the tactics simple so I would say just crash the net.

Watch this vid on positioning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SDvPAKt1w
Nice video. Thanks for the link. I think I am going to send this to all the kids on my PeeWee team for them to review.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 03:07 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Build some chemistry with the players on your team during practise. just tell them where you like to shoot from and where you will be at certain times and likewise for them. If you can build that than you guys will have some great chances also on d dont afraid to hit someone or go make a play but try not to be out of position to much.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Does your team have any practices?

As a center, you have responsibility on both ends of the ice.

Defensively, you want to make sure that nobody is moving freely in the slot in front of the crease and between the circles. Put your stick out between opposing players (called getting in their passing lanes) to prevent passes and try and pressure them to make plays along the boards or otherwise to the outside of the zone. Shooting from near the boards is a lot tougher than from in front of the goal.

Offensively, you probably will have some fast wingers. Carry the puck up the ice and if you see a teammate is open, pass it. That same area you didn't want anyone to be in is your playground now. Stand a few feet in front of the goalie to block his view, or come out further if their D is in tight to get open for passes.

As a wing, you need to "own" your side.

Defensively, your main job is to pressure the point man on your side and to pressure the wing on your side down low. Pressure passes to try and force mistakes, and when the puck gets low in your end, try and grab it to either clear it out or start it the other way. Don't chase it to the other side; that's someone else's job.

Offensively, you will either look to start the breakout or move with your center (or the other winger). It's all about finding ways to get open for passes. In deep, you want to either grab the puck to pass it to a man in the slot or back to your point. If the puck is on the other side, find a way to get open for a pass and one time shot.

That's positioning in a nutshell. Either getting open for passes and scoring opportunities offensively or cutting off passes and pressuring to prevent scoring opportunities defensively.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hah, well I pretty much gave a play by play of that video I guess. That's a good resource.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote