HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kasparaitis: Cut your salary to make the NHL?

Old
09-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Kasparaitis: Cut your salary to make the NHL?

Kasper wants to play in the NHL, but the Rangers clearly cannot afford him at $3M a year. Would he be willing to take $1M a year in order to play in the NHL instead of riding the bus in Hartford?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

IDK if it's possible to restructure contracts, is it?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The NHLPA would never let that happen.

And who's to say he has the ability to play in the NHL? Who's spot is he taking? And the answer is not Malik.

09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Kaspar won't make it with the Rangers and I think he knows that. IMO, he is going to be put on waivers and be picked up if he shows that he's still got it in Training Camp.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

That'll never happen. His agent, the NHLPA, his ex wives would be very un-understanding.

I still wont be surprised if he makes the team as is. He's had every opportunity to be prepared to WOW the staff. He knows what it would take to make him worth the cap hit. Its a long shot, but if he pulls it off power to him. We would be lucky to have a rejuvenated Kasper on our Blueline. His particular skills are not represented in our other D men. Love the thought of him and Avery on the same team. Teams will loathe seeing us on their schedule. Those two can be very distracting to the opposition

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The CBA prevents this

Quote:
11.10 No Renegotiation. In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in
any terms of a Player SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an
SPC. This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension
to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof or from
negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame
expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
That'll never happen. His agent, the NHLPA, his ex wives would be very un-understanding.

I still wont be surprised if he makes the team as is. He's had every opportunity to be prepared to WOW the staff. He knows what it would take to make him worth the cap hit. Its a long shot, but if he pulls it off power to him. We would be lucky to have a rejuvenated Kasper on our Blueline. His particular skills are not represented in our other D men. Love the thought of him and Avery on the same team. Teams will loathe seeing us on their schedule. Those two can be very distracting to the opposition
How many ex wifes does he have?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
JR#9*

yOu're not allowed to do that for Cap reasons so it's not even an option.

And with the cap squeeze I can't imagine Kaspar making the squad, simply can't happen unless somebody else is moved and I don't think his play will be at the level that would dictate such action.

But he should be of service to the organization in that he's always been known to work well with the kids and being that he'll be in Hartford all year he may help some of those young Dmen along.

The only sho he has at the NHL this season is a team needing to get to the cap floor takes him when we waive him and if he clears waivers he's done because they'll never risk bringing him back up as we'll take a 1.5 million hit for nothing if he's claimed.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
The team would be very lucky to have a rejuvinated Brian Leetch on the blueline. But the bottom line is you don't get rejuvinated in your mid to late 30s.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The only way Kaspar makes this team is if Mara or Malik are traded with Mara being the prime candidate (basically teh same salary and non-Czech). If it's Mara or Kaspar and Kaspar is the Kaspar of old, I'd take Kaspar in a second. The more intimidating that blueline is the better.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The team would be very lucky to have a rejuvinated Brian Leetch on the blueline. But the bottom line is you don't get rejuvinated in your mid to late 30s.

blast you Father Time

Old
09-13-2007, 01:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
The only way Kaspar makes this team is if Mara or Malik are traded with Mara being the prime candidate (highest salary and non-Czech). If it's Mara or Kaspar and Kaspar is the Kaspar of old, I'd take Kaspar in a second. The more intimidating that blueline is the better.
Sorry but you don't trade either one of them to make room for Kaspar.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
The only way Kaspar makes this team is if Mara or Malik are traded with Mara being the prime candidate (highest salary and non-Czech). If it's Mara or Kaspar and Kaspar is the Kaspar of old, I'd take Kaspar in a second. The more intimidating that blueline is the better.

Kasper of Old vs Mara

Mara could very well play a much bigger role in his full season as a Ranger, under Renny, on a good team.

Old
09-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Rosy Malik
Toots Girardi
Staal - ?

Old
09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
SBoB, you ride him way too hard. No one really expects him to be on the Rangers this year, you can drop it.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

and what if hypothetically Kaspar comes out at camp and blows away Mara then what?

Old
09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Davisian

Quote:
and what if hypothetically Kaspar comes out at camp and blows away Mara then what?

Then, hypothetically speaking, they trade Mara for a hypothetical first round pick, which, hypothetically could be a lottery pick and they hypothetically, which they will draft a hypothetical monster of a player in the early hypothetical first round.

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Ok, so maybe he's just hoping that he'll play well enough that someone else would be willing to take him off our hands and put him in the line up?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 02:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Prediction:

Rangers can't carry Kasparaitis onto the team, will be put on waivers and picked up by the Islanders.

Kasparaitis will then return to OK form, but have a bad season along becoming the whipping boy for 5 straight Islander loses to the Rangers.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
GarretJoseph

I'd cut my salary to play in the NHL, hands down.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I'd cut my salary to play in the NHL, hands down.

even if he would it's not allowed under the rules of the CBA

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
Then, hypothetically speaking, they trade Mara for a hypothetical first round pick, which, hypothetically could be a lottery pick and they hypothetically, which they will draft a hypothetical monster of a player in the early hypothetical first round.
That's an awful lot of hypothesies.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
frozenrubber

I've maintained this stance since Kaspar's flaming out last year:

He can still play in the NHL.

Scrubbing last year from the record, Darius was actually a stabilizing force for the Rangers. Despite his penchant to throw a big hit, he actually was a calming/safety partner. He eased Fedor's transition to the NHL. There was not a single Ranger fan that didn't have Kaspar penciled in on their pre-seaon top 6 (contrary to views of Malik coming into this season).

In 03-04 prior to his knee injury, Kaspar was the best defensemen on the Rangers. I know Leetch was on that team. Darius was the most surprising gem of that craptacular season.

Kasparaitis came into last year's camp still in physical shambles. If I remember correctly, still finishing up rehab on his shoulder and a SERIOUS groin and hernia issue. His core was shot and couldn't explode with a first stride, leaving him completely unable to play his game. Unfortunately, he kept pushing, hoping his troubles would disappear. Finally, after struggling in his inability to rehab and personal troubles, the man just physically and emotionally broke. Simple as that.

Now, does he have a place on the Rangers? No. The Rangers moved on midseason last year and once Girardi cemented a position, Kasparaitis was a lock to never wear a Ranger jersey again.

Vishnevski has a job. Tons of other similar players of skillset and age have jobs in the NHL. Kaspar makes 1 million too much. But this training camp is to showcase his recovery and the Rangers will give him a chance with another organization. It's now up to Darius to show he's adequately recovered (which by all accounts, I believe he is still a good #5 defensemen in the NHL).

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I've maintained this stance since Kaspar's flaming out last year:

He can still play in the NHL.

Scrubbing last year from the record, Darius was actually a stabilizing force for the Rangers. Despite his penchant to throw a big hit, he actually was a calming/safety partner. He eased Fedor's transition to the NHL. There was not a single Ranger fan that didn't have Kaspar penciled in on their pre-seaon top 6 (contrary to views of Malik coming into this season).

In 03-04 prior to his knee injury, Kaspar was the best defensemen on the Rangers. I know Leetch was on that team. Darius was the most surprising gem of that craptacular season.

Kasparaitis came into last year's camp still in physical shambles. If I remember correctly, still finishing up rehab on his shoulder and a SERIOUS groin and hernia issue. His core was shot and couldn't explode with a first stride, leaving him completely unable to play his game. Unfortunately, he kept pushing, hoping his troubles would disappear. Finally, after struggling in his inability to rehab and personal troubles, the man just physically and emotionally broke. Simple as that.

Now, does he have a place on the Rangers? No. The Rangers moved on midseason last year and once Girardi cemented a position, Kasparaitis was a lock to never wear a Ranger jersey again.

Vishnevski has a job. Tons of other similar players of skillset and age have jobs in the NHL. Kaspar makes 1 million too much. But this training camp is to showcase his recovery and the Rangers will give him a chance with another organization. It's now up to Darius to show he's adequately recovered (which by all accounts, I believe he is still a good #5 defensemen in the NHL).

Not many teams will be willing to pay 3 million for a #5..

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
Not many teams will be willing to pay 3 million for a #5..
I wholeheartedly agree, but I see 1 that desperately needs a dman, Atlanta.

With the addition of Sutton, the Islanders don't have a spot for him.

Yes, it is a very small group.

How about this?

What about Kaspar (spending the year as the C on the Wolfpack) and then being a playoff call-up?

Anyone with great CBA knowledge, please lend some insight. To go down to Hartford at the beginning of the season, Kasparaitis will have to be waived. We expect this and 90% chance he passes. Now, if he's recalled anytime during the normal regular season, he would have to pass through re-entry waivers (with the Rangers picking up 50% of his cap hit if another team takes him) and most likely be picked up with a more reasonable salary.

However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no waiver wire for callups in the playoffs. To prohibit stashing of quality, talented veterans in the minors, that's why the initially waiver rule exists.

What stops the Rangers in using Kaspar in the playoffs (if he's rehabbed, who wouldn't want Darius available pending injuries?)?

*I'll contact some of my favorite CBA experts to inquire about it's legality*

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote