HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Training Camp Thread - 2007 version

Old
09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
funktasticblues93

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Walker? yes, Woyrika? it has yet to be seen, I think the Blues are going to give Woywitka every chance to make the opening day roster.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post
Walker? yes, Woyrika? it has yet to be seen, I think the Blues are going to give Woywitka every chance to make the opening day roster.

Then it look's like between a battle for the 7-8 defenceman spot is on, and then a $ issue could also be a factor in this since Carolina didn't have enough $ for him. With Tanabe having the most experience it's his spot to lose.

Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
execwrite

Another smart move by JD

Jul. 20, 2007 - 8:19 a.m. ET

David Tanabe is on the outside looking in with Carolina.

GM Jim Rutherford said the he is happy with the seven defensemen currently under contract. While Tanabe played well in the second half, he will be looking to ply his trade elsewhere. He is a solid defender and will soon find a home elsewhere.

Source: Raleigh News & Observer

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 09:23 PM
St.Louis sports fan

I wouldn't get too excited about the top 7 just yet. The Blues have had a streak of their d-men getting hurt in pre-season so Tanabe could end up being 5th when camp breaks. McKee will have to play more than 4 games in a row without getting hurt before I would count him in. But all in all they will be in good shape with many different options.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2007, 11:36 PM
mmitchell19

In JR's blog (linked to IB's original post), it had the rosters/lines for the teams that scrimmaged today (Team Sutter & Team Gassoff). Barring disaster at work tomorrow, I'm hoping to slip over for the scrimmage b/t Team Gassoff & Team Plager.

Judging by the camp team rosters on the Blues' site, I wonder if Team Plager will look something like this...(not sure if I have the wings/D on the correct sides)...

Forwards:
Cajanek-Weight-Rucinsky
Trudel-Talbot-M. Kariya
Soares-Guenette-Mayers
Keith (extra), Reaves (hurt)

Defense:
EJ-Backman
Walker-Woywitka
Komadoski-Glenn

Goal:
Toivonen/Bacashihua

Thoughts? Can't wait to get over there tomorrow...

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 12:13 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
But in all seriousness, I'm always up for a good hockey debate; though frustrating at times, I rather enjoyed our little tete-a-tete.
As have I

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
In JR's blog (linked to IB's original post), it had the rosters/lines for the teams that scrimmaged today (Team Sutter & Team Gassoff). Barring disaster at work tomorrow, I'm hoping to slip over for the scrimmage b/t Team Gassoff & Team Plager.

Judging by the camp team rosters on the Blues' site, I wonder if Team Plager will look something like this...(not sure if I have the wings/D on the correct sides)...

Forwards:
Cajanek-Weight-Rucinsky
Trudel-Talbot-M. Kariya
Soares-Guenette-Mayers
Keith (extra), Reaves (hurt)

Defense:
EJ-Backman
Walker-Woywitka
Komadoski-Glenn

Goal:
Toivonen/Bacashihua

Thoughts? Can't wait to get over there tomorrow...

Replying to myself, as everyone must have gone to the scrimmage and stayed for the afternoon practice.

I had the d-pairs right (yippee, skippy), but the forward lines today were more like:

M.Kariya-Weight-Rucinsky (not an impressive unit during the scrimmage at all)
Trudel-Talbot-Mayers (looked pretty good)
The others rotated around a lot, I think Cajanek-Guenette-Soares started as a line, but then it became hard to keep up with.

I posted some other thoughts on another Blues board earlier...the Internet at work appears to be schizophrenic at the moment, so I'll pull them & post them here a bit later.

Old
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
mmitchell19

Here they are...

Went to the scrimmage today...Team Gassoff beat Team Plager 4-1 in the game and 1-0 in the bonus shootout. Guenette had the lone goal for Team Plager; IIRC (important qualifier, as I didn't take notes), the Gassoff goals were Backes, Glumac (2, plus the lone shootout goal), and Linglet (may have been Whitfield).

The lines, and some superficial impressions (again, to the best of my recollection):

Team Plager

M.Kariya-Weight-Rucinsky (not impressed at all...didn't show much skill/chemistry)
Trudel-Talbot-Mayers (pleasantly surprised, especially Trudel/Talbot)
Cajanek-Guenette-Soares (Soares didn't show me much...the other two were working hard)
Keith (meh...he & Tanabe had a spirited battle for the puck in the corner that went on for 10 seconds or so)

EJ-Backman (I'm sure I'm grading on a harsh curve, but EJ made several mistakes)
Walker-Woywitka (Not bad at all)
Glenn-Komadoski (Also pleasantly surprised here...both were solid)

B-Cash (played the first period, didn't look too good, 3 GA)
Toivonen (played the second plus shootout, looked pretty solid, 1 GA on a rebound)

I can't recall who took the minuses, but pretty sure Weight's line was out there for at least one GA in the 1st. There was also a PPG.

Team Gassoff
Stempy-Clem-Backes (very strong game, espec. Backes)
Glumac-Whitfield-Linglet (these guys were awesome...together for 4-5 shifts)
Random combinations of Birner, King, Stastny, Benson...the latter three played sort of a "grind line" for most of the 2nd and made some stuff happen.

Jax-McKee (very solid. Was great watching Jax up close...love his expressions)
Wagner-Tanabe (also solid...Wagner took a dumb penalty)
Brooks-DuPont (no glaring errors that I saw...DuPont made a great block on a dangerous shot)

Schwarz (played the 1st...gave up one early but solid thereafter)
Riksman (played the 2nd plus shootout...only GT to put up a zero, though he wasn't threatened much...made a good shootout save)

Overall Game Impressions
The 1st period started out kinda slow, but picked up...the 2nd definitely had more intensity. The hitting & forechecking picked up considerably.

I'm not sure what they're thinking with Weight centering the Martys, but that line didn't do much but skate around. M. Kariya is tiny. He doesn't appear to stand much of a chance in the corners. He's pesky, but that's about it. Rucinsky had a pretty good chance but couldn't pull the trigger...overall, this line did not perform well.

Our favorite second/third line (Stempy-Clem-Backes) looked in midseason form. They only put one on the scoreboard, but were pretty dangerous throughout. Clem definitely looks bigger, and Backes was playing a solid power game...good hitting, strong on his skates, etc. I've read that he's not a good skater, but he seems to get where he needs to go.

As mentioned earlier, I was really impressed with Whitfield, Glumac, and Linglet. If they're matched up as a forward line in Peoria, they're going to do very well. Birner didn't show me as much as I'd hoped...seemed to play tentative.

Blah, blah, blah...I could go on & on, but people keep stopping at my desk.

Attendance was probably ~1,000, +/- a couple hundred. Lots of new home EJ, Jax, Kariya, and Stempniak sweaters were spotted in the crowd.

Old
09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Here they are...

Went to the scrimmage today...Team Gassoff beat Team Plager 4-1 in the game and 1-0 in the bonus shootout. Guenette had the lone goal for Team Plager; If I recall correctly (important qualifier, as I didn't take notes), the Gassoff goals were Backes, Glumac (2, plus the lone shootout goal), and Linglet (may have been Whitfield).

The lines, and some superficial impressions (again, to the best of my recollection):

Team Plager

M.Kariya-Weight-Rucinsky (not impressed at all...didn't show much skill/chemistry)
Trudel-Talbot-Mayers (pleasantly surprised, especially Trudel/Talbot)
Cajanek-Guenette-Soares (Soares didn't show me much...the other two were working hard)
Keith (meh...he & Tanabe had a spirited battle for the puck in the corner that went on for 10 seconds or so)

EJ-Backman (I'm sure I'm grading on a harsh curve, but EJ made several mistakes)
Walker-Woywitka (Not bad at all)
Glenn-Komadoski (Also pleasantly surprised here...both were solid)

B-Cash (played the first period, didn't look too good, 3 GA)
Toivonen (played the second plus shootout, looked pretty solid, 1 GA on a rebound)

I can't recall who took the minuses, but pretty sure Weight's line was out there for at least one GA in the 1st. There was also a PPG.

Team Gassoff
Stempy-Clem-Backes (very strong game, espec. Backes)
Glumac-Whitfield-Linglet (these guys were awesome...together for 4-5 shifts)
Random combinations of Birner, King, Stastny, Benson...the latter three played sort of a "grind line" for most of the 2nd and made some stuff happen.

Jax-McKee (very solid. Was great watching Jax up close...love his expressions)
Wagner-Tanabe (also solid...Wagner took a dumb penalty)
Brooks-DuPont (no glaring errors that I saw...DuPont made a great block on a dangerous shot)

Schwarz (played the 1st...gave up one early but solid thereafter)
Riksman (played the 2nd plus shootout...only GT to put up a zero, though he wasn't threatened much...made a good shootout save)

Overall Game Impressions
The 1st period started out kinda slow, but picked up...the 2nd definitely had more intensity. The hitting & forechecking picked up considerably.

I'm not sure what they're thinking with Weight centering the Martys, but that line didn't do much but skate around. M. Kariya is tiny. He doesn't appear to stand much of a chance in the corners. He's pesky, but that's about it. Rucinsky had a pretty good chance but couldn't pull the trigger...overall, this line did not perform well.

Our favorite second/third line (Stempy-Clem-Backes) looked in midseason form. They only put one on the scoreboard, but were pretty dangerous throughout. Clem definitely looks bigger, and Backes was playing a solid power game...good hitting, strong on his skates, etc. I've read that he's not a good skater, but he seems to get where he needs to go.

As mentioned earlier, I was really impressed with Whitfield, Glumac, and Linglet. If they're matched up as a forward line in Peoria, they're going to do very well. Birner didn't show me as much as I'd hoped...seemed to play tentative.

Blah, blah, blah...I could go on & on, but people keep stopping at my desk.

Attendance was probably ~1,000, +/- a couple hundred. Lots of new home EJ, Jax, Kariya, and Stempniak sweaters were spotted in the crowd.

Thanks for the updates. Good read.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
silverback

Please tell me that someone has video of Eric Johnson's shootout goal in the game on Saturday.

He faked to one side and then just let loose of a quick snap shot to the upper corner that was so hard it shot the goalies water bottle up in the air breaking the cap off the water bottle and spraying water everywhere. Classic!

Anybody have video of this!!!!!

silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:12 AM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
How did Mike McKenna look? He's a friend of mine and I'm really hoping he sticks with you guys at the AHL level if he does impress.

GWF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:29 AM
milieu bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF82 View Post
How did Mike McKenna look? He's a friend of mine and I'm really hoping he sticks with you guys at the AHL level if he does impress.
Suprisingly he looked pretty good. Real quick reflexes. Great side to side. Positionally I didn't notice if he was good or bad. All in all I don't know what kind of player hes going to be, but one thing I can say for sure is he has tallent. Good luck to you guys.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 10:30 AM
milieu bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
Please tell me that someone has video of Eric Johnson's shootout goal in the game on Saturday.

He faked to one side and then just let loose of a quick snap shot to the upper corner that was so hard it shot the goalies water bottle up in the air breaking the cap off the water bottle and spraying water everywhere. Classic!

Anybody have video of this!!!!!
No, but that was awesome. The lid to the water bottle shot higher then I've ever seen the water bottle travel. Man that was a great day, going back today for Atl.

Old
09-16-2007, 04:43 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Is there anywhere that has tonight's game (tv, radio, anything)? It seems KMOX won't be airing it :<

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
So do you guys believe Legace will be the #1 for the entire season? Or will Schwatz or Toivonen or Cash end up taking over?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
So do you guys believe Legace will be the #1 for the entire season? Or will Schwatz or Toivonen or Cash end up taking over?
Legace looked like a full #1 goalie tonight. Some awesome saves from him to prevent the Thrashers from running away with the game, that said...it's only preseason.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
He'll probably be the #1 goalie going into the start of the season, but if Toivonen/Bacashihua keeps impressing the staff down the road, I can see Legace's workload being cut down a little bit so he can stay healthy.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
execwrite

It's Legace's job until he loses it.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

First Cuts

Assigned left wings Cam Keith, Nikolay Lemtyugov, Charles Linglet, Josh Soares, Tim Spencer and Jean-Guy Trudel, centers Nicholas Drazenovic, Francois-Pierre Guenette, Tomas Kana and Julian Talbot, right wings Hans Benson and Ryan Reaves, defensemen Ryan Glenn, Alexander Hellstrom, Neil Komadoski, Aaron MacKenzie and Bryan Miller and goaltenders Mike McKenna and Marek Schwarz to Peoria of the American Hockey League; assigned defenseman Jonas Junland to Linkoping of the Swedish Elite League

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 12:15 AM
bluebleeder38

I'm disappointed Lemtyugov didn't stay in camp longer, I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in a game situation. Based on the highlights of the Dallas game, I'm thinking Tanabe might not be with us much longer. I would like to see Mike Johnson stick around.

bluebleeder38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 02:26 AM
General Veers

i'm excited to see what peoria's goaltending does this year!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 05:14 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
No real surprises. I thought they would have kept Schwarz in camp longer just for the experience.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Blueski

Does McKenna actually have a pro contract with us? Did they actually send him to Peoria or back to his other team?

Blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2007, 09:53 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski View Post
Does McKenna actually have a pro contract with us? Did they actually send him to Peoria or back to his other team?
According to JR's blog last night, McKenna did not sign an AHL contract with us. The club chose to send him to Peoria's training camp rather than optioning him directly back to his ECHL team in Vegas...presumably to get a more extended look at him.

P.S. Your signature line doesn't really match your avatar anymore...that is, unless some have confused Backes with roadkill in the past.

Old
09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
milieu bluez

I was pretty impressed with Josh Soares. But that said there realy isn't any room for him on the bottom two lines. I don't think theres going to be room on the bottom two lines for quiet some time unless injuries happen or someone is just too good down in Peoria. Its a double edged sword really, but hopefully all the competition will result in the best players playing with the club in 2-3 years.