HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Training Camp Thread - 2007 version

Old
09-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Blueski

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
According to JR's blog last night, McKenna did not sign an AHL contract with us. The club chose to send him to Peoria's training camp rather than optioning him directly back to his ECHL team in Vegas...presumably to get a more extended look at him.

P.S. Your signature line doesn't really match your avatar anymore...that is, unless some have confused Backes with roadkill in the past.
Thanks....and oops...thanks...lol

Blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 02:50 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
What have you guys thought of Hannu Toivonen thus far?

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Cheng View Post
What have you guys thought of Hannu Toivonen thus far?
We haven't had much of a chance to see him in game action yet, Derek... other than highlights of Dallas goals on the Stars' website, there's been no video feed of the one game he played in.

An (apparently) on-scene report indicates that he wasn't particularly strong on either of the two goals he gave up vs. Dallas, so take that for what it's worth.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Mue

Do you guys think Mike Johnson will be getting a contract?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 11:42 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Unlikely, but you never know.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 01:42 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
If we didn't have Mayers, Hinote, R. Johnson, and King already, I'd love to have him. I'm just not sure if there's room for him right now.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Mue

Unfortunate...he is a solid addition to any team...A player with his skill (effective third liner who plays smart hockey) should not be going into a season without a contract.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2007, 03:58 PM
StLooFrenchy

Let's stir it back up....

DJ King...One unassisted, game winning goal last night in Hotlanta....I'm tellin' ya, the kid is more than a cement head.

Last edited by StLooFrenchy: 09-23-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: absinthe
StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
StLooFrenchy

....Plus, he hit the post last night in Chi-town.

Old
09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
concept*

He scored a goal in preseason AND hit the post? Let's give him a raise and a long-term contract. Lock that kid up until he's 50, I say!

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
He scored a goal in preseason AND hit the post? Let's give him a raise and a long-term contract. Lock that kid up until he's 50, I say!
Easy, Rush. Don't write anything into my statement other than what I said: DJ is more than a cementhead. Back to you, Karl Rove.

Old
09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
Let's stir it back up....

DJ King...One unassisted, game winning goal last night in Hotlanta....I'm tellin' ya, the kid is more than a cement head.
I have hopes that he will turn into more of a Basil McRae or Shane Churla type of tough guy and be able to serve more than one role. They didn't score much, but no one scored on them either. They actually could play hockey as well.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
No cuts today ... probably tomorrow morning. Do not be surprised to see a few of the veterans get the "you've got 20 regular season games to shape up, or you'll be shipped out" speech with the kids being told "go down, play hard, learn what you're taught, and be ready for a call."

09-25-2007, 09:56 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
No cuts today ... probably tomorrow morning. Do not be surprised to see a few of the veterans get the "you've got 20 regular season games to shape up, or you'll be shipped out" speech with the kids being told "go down, play hard, learn what you're taught, and be ready for a call."
Which veterans haven't looked good in camp?

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 11:25 AM
StLooFrenchy

Hey guys, just saw this on that "other" board:

"The Blues have reassigned Jason Bacashihua, Juuso Riksman, Alex Brooks, Micki DuPont, Michal Birner and Jeff Woywitka to Peoria.

Bacashihua and Woywitka must clear waivers.

Patrik Berglund has been sent back to Sweden".

JR

Not Woyrika! I hope I don't have to change my Av! I guess Polak, Wagner, and maybe Tanabe have impressed at this camp. My guess is 'Cash may have worn out his welcome.

Old
09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Irish Blues

No real surprises, outside of maybe Woywitka [who I figured had at least a decent chance to make the team .... because I figured we were going to move a defenseman to make room for him].

This means Toivonen is definitely the back-up ... let's hope he learns some good things while up and gets back in the flow of things.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:40 PM
PunjabiOil*

Wow, Woywitka on waivers?

I thought he had turned things around and many Blues fans mentioned if they could only protect 5 guys, he'd be one of them.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get picked up on waivers though.

Man, the Pronger deal now should be a reminder - never trade quality for quantity. If you're getting prospects in the deal, make sure that they're elite.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Irish Blues

Perhaps it's more of a reminder of how much of a dip**** Dick Thomas really was, especially in helping to orchestrate Pronger's trade out of St. Louis.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 12:44 PM
mmitchell19

Too many grinders...trade possible?

With Mayers, Hinote, RJ, and King all seemingly locked into roster spots in a checking / grinding / energy capacity, is anyone surprised that both Porter and Stastny survived this last cut? This is rampant speculation, but is there any chance that we may be packaging one of the above-mentioned players plus a defenseman (plus maybe something else) for a stud prospect or picks? It makes me wonder if they're giving these guys an extended audition because they feel they may need to fill a 4th-line hole sometime soon...

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 01:06 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
With Mayers, Hinote, RJ, and King all seemingly locked into roster spots in a checking / grinding / energy capacity, is anyone surprised that both Porter and Stastny survived this last cut? This is rampant speculation, but is there any chance that we may be packaging one of the above-mentioned players plus a defenseman (plus maybe something else) for a stud prospect or picks? It makes me wonder if they're giving these guys an extended audition because they feel they may need to fill a 4th-line hole sometime soon...
As far as RJ and Hinote are concerned, I sure hope so. As offensively challenged as we were last year, and more than likely, albiet not as severe, this year, why not have a few muckers that actually know where the net is. If we can gat a return, that's just gravy!

Old
09-25-2007, 02:00 PM
xterminator24

Bruins fan here.

Just wondering how Brad Boyes has looked this pre-season. I really liked the chemistry he had with Bergeron in their first season together. I'm expecting that he'll be motivated and have a good year for you guys. He's a great asset when he builds chemistry with a line mate.

I'm glad he's in the Western Conference because I figure he'll blow away the Bruins by himself everytime he plays them.

xterminator24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
c-carp

Quote:
I would rather have a kid like him with balls than another soft player.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
concept*

True, but my point isn't that he sucks, but that this is preseason, and hitting a post isn't exactly a noteworthy event. Now, I will say that if that checking line stays together, he'll have some great guys to work with and learn from. That could make him, eventually, into a valuable, consistent checking line player.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 04:39 PM
c-carp

Quote:
True, but my point isn't that he sucks, but that this is preseason, and hitting a post isn't exactly a noteworthy event. Now, I will say that if that checking line stays together, he'll have some great guys to work with and learn from. That could make him, eventually, into a valuable, consistent checking line player.
Fair enough, I thought you were dogging my boy.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Agreed, but he had to be in the right place. How many times can you say that about RJ? Hinote I'll let slide due to injuries last season, and Jammer always goes to the net. But none of them can hit to hurt or coldcock a heavyweight, as well as take a regular shift. Dwayne can.